Fabric pot few questions

Virandell

Hi I have few questions about fabric pots, they need any elevator from the bottom or they can just sit on the floor? Also I am using organic bottle nutes and if it's any run off I am simply letting plants suck it back usually it's gone like in a hour is it alright ?

Use pot elevators, or you can also use bird feeder suet cages. You want the air to get to the bottom of the pot, too. If runoff is getting sucked right back in, you are watering too fast.
I mean it's not alot of water maybe 500ml for 4x plants so its 125ml for each plant but my plants not looking really happy since I moved to fabric pots and I am not sure is it becouse I am letting run off getting suck back in (i never threw any run off and I have 20days till harvest) or because I don't have any elevator under pots but that's not making sense becouse plastic pots can stand on the floor and nothing it's happening to them

I sit my cloth grow bags in drip trays without elevators, and yes when I do produce that little bit of runoff at the end of watering, my plants also suck that runoff back up. This doesn't hurt a thing, and as long as your not producing tons of runoff, it works well.

I used to use risers so that the bottom of my containers would also dry out quickly, but then runoff became a problem. I realized that it really doesn't hurt a thing to have the bottom sitting in the tray, because except for that small bit of surface area in contact with the tray, the rest of the bag is doing air pruning of the roots and getting lots of oxygen into the rootball. As you said, plastic pots work just fine, there is no reason that a bag not sitting on a riser wouldn't do the same thing.

I sit my cloth grow bags in drip trays without elevators, and yes when I do produce that little bit of runoff at the end of watering, my plants also suck that runoff back up. This doesn't hurt a thing, and as long as your not producing tons of runoff, it works well.

I used to use risers so that the bottom of my containers would also dry out quickly, but then runoff became a problem. I realized that it really doesn't hurt a thing to have the bottom sitting in the tray, because except for that small bit of surface area in contact with the tray, the rest of the bag is doing air pruning of the roots and getting lots of oxygen into the rootball. As you said, plastic pots work just fine, there is no reason that a bag not sitting on a riser wouldn't do the same thing.
I use risers to get the optimum from the bags, and what little runoff I have, I leave to evaporate and elevate my RH. The bottom area of a 7 gallon fabric pot is substantial at 150+ square inches.

@Emilya the problem is them pots are staying 1/3~ damp like on the picture below the pots not smell to nice either maybe that causing my plants are sick?
They have ~4 weeks left till harvest maybe just use only water no nutes cause they looking all lock out anyway ..?

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_162612.jpg
    IMG_20200628_162612.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
  • USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1321771139.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1321771139.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 73
I put my 5 & 7 gallon fabric pots in plastic milk crates. They act as pot elevators, have lots of places to tie stuff to for training and since I grow outside, they are great when I move my plants around. I also made some pot elevators from some scrap 2X4’s and some heavy duty mesh screen.

I would not use just water for the last month of growing. Your plants really need nutes at this time. You might try flushing/rinsing your pots with 2-3 times their volume with just plain water. Then go back to full strength nutes. That’s what I would do.

I put my 5 & 7 gallon fabric pots in plastic milk crates. They act as pot elevators, have lots of places to tie stuff to for training and since I grow outside, they are great when I move my plants around. I also made some pot elevators from some scrap 2X4’s and some heavy duty mesh screen.

I would not use just water for the last month of growing. Your plants really need nutes at this time. You might try flushing/rinsing your pots with 2-3 times their volume with just plain water. Then go back to full strength nutes. That’s what I would do.

Great idea with the milk crates thanks

Thanks for idea with milk crates, with the plants I am not sure what to do the neighbors are very noisy above me and I am sure they could smell the plants so flush is a no no :/ I am not really sure if it's point to use nutes

I use risers like this for my 15 gallon pots so the air can circulate underneath.
B1E8E460-0FCD-4BDF-B83E-DF0BD188E09A.jpeg
I started outdoors last year with nothing underneath and found plants gettimg a little droopy. After some research I raised them up off the ground, the drooping stopped and I had no further issues.
I found these risers this year on amazon for my first indoor grow and love them.
To me, having the pot sit and saturate in water would be similar to having a plastic pot with no drainage holes.
My beige colored grow bags have remained the same colour throughout my first grow and now into my second. Is the discoloration on your bags from nutrients? That and the smell being off would concern me.

I put my 5 & 7 gallon fabric pots in plastic milk crates. They act as pot elevators, have lots of places to tie stuff to for training and since I grow outside, they are great when I move my plants around. I also made some pot elevators from some scrap 2X4’s
Great idea with the milk crates!

I use risers like this for my 15 gallon pots so the air can circulate underneath.
B1E8E460-0FCD-4BDF-B83E-DF0BD188E09A.jpeg
I started outdoors last year with nothing underneath and found plants gettimg a little droopy. After some research I raised them up off the ground, the drooping stopped and I had no further issues.
I found these risers this year on amazon for my first indoor grow and love them.
To me, having the pot sit and saturate in water would be similar to having a plastic pot with no drainage holes.
My beige colored grow bags have remained the same colour throughout my first grow and now into my second. Is the discoloration on your bags from nutrients? That and the smell being off would concern me.
The color could have been from my last living soil grow but the smell is like abit musky or something maybe I will swap to airpots again ..

I have mine on milk crates. Biggest bags went outside this spring to try grape tomatoes in them. I somehow accrued white 20” fan covers. Cut them in half and used several under the two bags. Seems to be working well. Previously used plastic pots for ‘toes.

Hi I have few questions about fabric pots, they need any elevator from the bottom or they can just sit on the floor? Also I am using organic bottle nutes and if it's any run off I am simply letting plants suck it back usually it's gone like in a hour is it alright ?

One from the garage refrigerator, one from Home Depot. Auto grower.

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_182827708.jpg
    IMG_20200522_182827708.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • 129018997785124146031.jpg
    129018997785124146031.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 64
One from the garage refrigerator, one from Home Depot. Auto grower.

Yeah, something like that works great. Also, that’s an interesting drawing of that “electric anvil vehicle”.

Back
Top Bottom