Farmer’s Adventures In Hillbilly Growing!

Try to read your log ASAP. Need to focus on some fundamentals. Ask @grow4broke my sanitation issues are horrendous. My veg. room looks like a weird cross over show with Antiques Roadshow, American Pickers, Blair Witch, and that one show where people scuba dive in shit.
Okay basics; what I have learned:
  1. Room setup. Your room should be clean, very clean. Make sure the floor, walls and ceilings are spotless to start. If you can cover the walls with reflective Mylar, it makes a difference. I like to setup my lights at room development because often they should be mounted on the ceiling meaning you'll need some kind of mount. Plan on at least 3 SQ Ft per plant in flower for your room so a small room like mine which is 7x5 = 35 SQ Ft means I can comfortable fit 8-10 plants throughout flower. Biggest issue? Getting to your plants when they get big - Sativa's can double in size during flower. Last use a pallet or some spacers to get your plants up off the floor, air flow is critical.
  2. Power & Water. Below the waist water only above the waist power. Mount all your outlets above the waist and near to your doorway where you can access easily.
  3. Plant media is a personal choice and everyone is passionate about the choice they made. Educate yourself and do what you think is right, there are no wrong answers IMO on this one. I grow in soil with about 25% perlite.
  4. I use fabric pots because I like my roots to breath; again no wrong answers here but I do recommend a minimum 5 Gal pot size.
  5. Nutrients, same as the two above. I suspect they're all good. I myself focus on the ones made for Cannabis like Fox Farms. Everyone has an opinion about NUtes but I personally think everyone overuses them (I know I did when I started)
  6. Air movement and temp control. I use at least two hygrometers in the room to check for temp differences within the room. Depending on you lights they can add a lot of heat. Make sure you place at least one fan blowing directly onto your lights. They will run cooler and last a lot longer. I use a lot of air movement and instead of a humidifier I blow air over a towel placed in a bucket of water. Even in my dry climate my grow room stays between 50%-62% RH. Make sure your temps stay below 80 at the leaves and cooler 70 or so at the roots during your light cycle and lower when lights are off. Personally I shoot for a high of 80 during the day and high 60's into low 70's at night.
  7. Lighting: For me it's a budget issue so I bought a variety of LED lights - slightly used. It turns out a lot of people think they want to grow and yet never get to it. I found a tone of stuff out there. Personally I like lights with a red shift for flowering and I've had the best luck with my Mars Hydro - it runs cool enough to use in my clone tent and it has a dimmer on the lights which I love. In my room I have 4 lights 2 of which are Philzon 200W LED. These lights run hotter because they use real 10W LED's but they put out a ton of light! I get to see the difference between them and the other two lights in my flower room and I wish for two more! I always tend toward over-lighting but the be careful is heat management. Lighting in clones and seeds should be at 50%-60% with a 16 on 8 off photoperiod, and vegetative with red shift on (if available) and with a16 on 8 off photoperiod, Flower starts at 12/12 but you should move to a 8 on 16 off photoperiod late in bloom.
  8. Flushing, do yourself a favor and track down @Emilya if only to read her flushing tutorial - it is worth knowing that flushing will NOT remove anything from the plant - but it does help if you grow in soil. If you're going organic, you will not need to flush.
  9. If you are growing indoors set up to prevent pests as much as you can. This starts with a thorough cleaning and might include use of pesticides before you fill your room. Keep a weather eye out daily for pests, they are easier to control if you spot problems early. IMO once you get infestations indoors it can be difficult to get rid of them - be vigilant.
  10. Get help. There are a number of posts herein to tell you how to ask for help. I think the two most important are: include good photos in natural light. DO NOT post photos in your burple (the red light shift in your room), it just shows you're a beginner and nobody can see enough to help you. Second, be very specific. this came up when, photos, descriptive information, what nutes are you using, etc.
  11. DO NOT over-care for your plants. The most common mistakes (I made them all so I know them well) are: Overwatering, too many nutrients, too much of anything including attention, manipulation, and trimming. Use nutes sparingly and the every other watering. Many of the growers here claim they wait 5-7 days between robust deep watering. In my climate I water more often but not by a lot.
  12. Learn the stages of each step by keeping a journal and reading the journals on here - it is well worth your investment of time!
    1. Seeds: start, tap root, planting and watering. This is critical; I know because I am officially a seed killer and have spent a lot of time trying to make my $10+ feminized seeds actually sprout predictably. It's a lot harder and takes more care than you think.
    2. Initial growth. Learn to know when your plants are "working". You will be repotting at least twice, maybe three times. At each event you can start to see robust new growth and new root growth begins and takes hold. After watch a few you'll know what's happening by the way your plants look.
    3. Vegetative growth. I like to have my ladies in their final potting container when they go into veg. Part of this is my veg tent holds exactly 8 plants in 5 gal grow bags and part of it is this is where the growth happens. The firs time through you can experiment a little with SOG, Super cropping and other techniques you will find described herein and on YouTube. For my own part, until I grew a few I had to idea what to expect and I screwed up my initial efforts at all of these techniques. So, make a few mistakes, it is a good learning.
    4. Cloning. The time to clone your plants is when they have strong root growth and, for me, they are in their final pots. I like to take clones from topping - that is cutting the tip off the higher growth and keep more bud development happening. Sometimes I can even get several sets of clones off of a single plant in veg for a few months. It helps to even out the plant and my experience suggests there may be more rooting hormones in these growth areas. I think every grower needs to learn to clone if you want to preserve good genetics - your favorite plants can live forever! You can find cloning techniques here including in my own grow journal.
    5. Flowering: You will need a separate area for flowering unless you are growing one at a time because reducing the photoperiod from 18/6 to 12/12 is what causes your plant to flower. Flowers take a week or two to begin to develop and once they do you can watch your beauties turn into what you have been after all these months. In my experience (which does not include auto-flowering plants), Sativa's can stay in flower 10-12 weeks and Indica's tend to be lesser of a wait. Watch bud development and the trichomes. Before you harvest you'll want 80%+ of your pistils to be red not pink or white and your trichomes should be mostly cloudy but not yet amber. Once they start to go amber it is time to harvest.
    6. Harvest. Wait! You're not done yet, not even close. As with everything about growing cannabis there are a lot of opinions about the best way to harvest a plant. Read them all and choose what works for you. For me, I like to take the whole plant, rinse the root ball and hang it upside down (I personally do not thing it matters if it is hung up or down). I dry for 5-9 days (summers here are way hot and dry while winters are cold and wetter) in a room I try keep at < 75 degrees and 55%-62% RH. You will know your plants are ready when the sugar leaves are dry and crackly but the steps do not quite snap when bent.
    7. Curing. Wait, you're still not done. You've spent months growing, babying and thinking about this day, don't screw it up my moving too fast. Clip the leaves off all your buds and clip them into air tight glass jars. These will be where your cure happens. A few thoughts about what surprised me. At harvest the plant smells amazing but in the jar after drying the predominant smell is fresh cut grass. This smell fades over the first week or two and you will begin to smell the more trichome based MJ aroma we all love so much. Every day you will need to open every jar for an hour or so. If you begin to smell ammonia your plants were too wet - you've ruined them. It should smell like cut grass or candy in some strains. I think a cure of a few weeks is enough to begin to enjoy the taste of your new crop but they can stay months in the jar. I use 62% Boveda packs to control humidity and after a few weeks you'll no longer have to let in air.
    8. Gifting. Remember those you love and who helped you on this journey!
I hope this helps - it is very basic but should ground you on a pathway that will get you results!

Here is my long-term girlfriend Aphrodites I.
I think she is CK Green Crack, so who knows what breeder she came from?
As you will see later in my journal---seems to be great genetics.

At Old school hog raising genetics I am an eight.

At Cannabis genetics I am maybe a two.

Really not sure how old she is?

Don't know jack about cloning, but I think she is big enough to get a couple cuttings off her.

Sticking to fundamentals for now.

Should I allow a plant in vegging to get this stressed?

Should I feed now or water then feed? with this level of stress?

Are their benefits to stressing plants in veg.?

Like DRey kindly pointed out I have squat for climate controls. But once I get them born into veg. the girls seem to be pretty happy in my environment.

20201209_142302.jpg
It is hard to tell but your plant looks like it may be suffering from BOTH pests and overwatering. I'd bet they are related too.

Ok. a little bit about me (will try to be brief---really like to talk).

Grew up on a family farm where my parents treated their prize livestock better than their children.
Product of divorce.

My siblings fly around my dad like vultures wasting their lives waiting for him to die (estate).

First pet was a runt pig that I saved from certain death named Mister Pig. I was no younger than five, nor no older than eight.

Well back in the day a lot of small towns had butchers.

Not like Kroger, like bring in your cow and come back in the afternoon for steaks. Well one day we took a ride to the small city butcher and Mr. Pig got to come along, she jumped right into the back of the pick-up like a dog and I got to ride in the back too, yeah. It was a warm summer day.

I think my parents told me were taking her to the local county fair.

My parents made me watch Mr. Pig take a bolt gun, get her throat slit, and scolded in a weird spinny thing (this all happened in a second). The bolt gun didn't work well and the bastards didn't give her time to bleed out, so I got to here my pet get scolded alive for a few painful seconds.

Studied my ass off in high school NHS only to enlist in the Army Signal Corp. Served three years active honorable discharge, served one year Ohio National Guard---getting ready to start state OCS---came up hot on a drug test weed cause my girlfriend and I smoked the night before my drill. Almost didn't go to drill that day, (not cool but not a big deal to skip a day every now and then) because my girlfriend and I had a very long intimate game of chess the prior evening.

Funny never was good at Chess.

That was late 90's. Needless to say they kicked me out of the guard. Fortunately with my good service record and the kindest man I ever met, a full JAG Colonel who went to bat for me with the ONG Commanding Dick General, I scraped out of the guard with an honorable discharge.

Wife and I are university educated went to a moderate sized university in Greece near Athens.
We are blessed with two great jobs, but still kinda live paycheck to paycheck.

Truly my biggest accomplishment is being married to the most wonderful human being I have ever met for nearly twenty years, no children. We just have two Corgi mutts we picked up at anti cruelty shelters in Chicago.

We lived in Chicago for eleven years. I've worked on a pig farm shovelling tons of hog shit and I've worked in a glass tower building portfolios.

I am bipolar manic and take three drugs a day. My most recent bout with mania landed me in CBUS a nickname to a mental facility in the capital of my polis in Greece.

Enjoy and respect nature and love history.

Really thought I was going to convert to Amish and grow weed when I went crazy. The fucked up thing about it is some of my Amish friends thought I was actually going to convert. English to Amish is very rare though it does happen. Have one Amish friend who is a convert he grew up on a conventional English family farm.

If ya read up on mania, well, it ain't great for your finances. Looking at potential financial ruin, my nephew/little brother
an Anesthesiologist who is on staff at Mayo Clinic at Rochester "loaned" me $20(k) to keep me from being financially forked. FYI: his wife is a Mayo Doctor too dealing with diseases and shit. They ain't living paycheck to paycheck.

I am stubborn, a slow learner, naturally come across as a dick. And have failed at everything. Think I am finally growing up at 45. Competitive to a fault.

Kinda want this journal to be the thesis on my life. I joined 420 to learn how to be the best of the best.

I am staying to be part of a community of shared learning and maybe for once feel like I am part of a real family.
Learning to respect all growers and folks in are community and that all plants just like people are beautiful.

Aside from learning how to properly grow I want to give the audience something to look forward too.
Maybe give one person a laugh after a shitty day of work at a shitty job.

If you are feeling really fucked up I'm right there with y'all.

What I need from the audience is to tell me when to listen and tell me when to shut the fuck up.

Currently my family resides back in our "Old Country" living in Athens Greece very near the small providence of Meigs and only grow high quality CBD flower.

Despite not having a fucking clue, I believe I am doing some shit right with my grow.

Time to StFu and take care of my stressed plant.

Best,

Farmer R

Hi gang been busy trying to get my studio less disgusting and I have a ton of 401(k) job stuff to do.
Ran into an old friend who talked about his "hillbilly grow." Old school MF, dude hung out with my Gramps on my mom's side of the family. Gramps has been dead since 95. Excited to share what he had to say in my journal as we go along.

Only gonna grow really relaxing CBD strains for now on.

Best,

Farmer R.

PS: follow y'alls suggestions.

Day #1---detox. Going to stop self medicating for a month to focus on work and family.
Over the last week been battling mania and stuff (though sometimes it seems like my wife is trying to press all of my hot buttons (triggers).

I have a great support group and a doctor who would much rather be retired with his wife. But he more or less works full time, because a lot of folks in my part of Greece can't get the help mental they need. Imagine going to the hospital with a broken arm and being told to comeback in a few days? Basically, if you are having a manic attack it seems like you have to go crazy and get locked up to get help you need.

What about the shame?

Then the poor Doctors. and staff are so fucking busy at the facility that all they do is drug you up like a dog cause you are crazy.

Sorry about the rant.

Sadly all of my girls died except for my little plant Sad Girl. She is pretty late in flowering, so I may post her pics. for help if ok.

Since you are all my friends thought you would find the below letter to one of my dearest friends entertaining.

Due to his rural location I have to utilize post.

Dear John, Anna, Levi, and family,

My sincerest apologies for my failure to post. Y'all have been in our hearts and minds. Quite frankly I miss my visits.
Always find some well needed peace when I am among your wonderful community. The one thing I have learned from y'all is that you must take care of your family!

Between finding myself, procrastination, and lack of insight, I have failed to write.
I have attempted to call and emails. Your phone is alway broken and your internet sucks.

Most hopefully your health is in good order.

I could bring you some meds. for the pain (ha, ha).

Seems you come from great stock, so I am sure you'll live until you are 100.

How was your last child? You probably have two or three more now.

Not sure if you noticed? Brought some Hybrid Pumpkins to the auction. Unfortunately, with a 90 mile commute and working a full time job we got mold and yellow beatles. (Didn't get my vine beds tilled).

As far as the greenhouse I wrote it off as a loss. If you have any of my stuff, promise I'll try to get over to pick it up soon. Not a huge concern.:D

Do look forward to seeing the family. Should I visit with the virus?

I have a great job with a great company and may have two jobs now?:D

Tell Levi look forward to maybe digging a couple graves together.

Your friend and English (actually Swiss) brother.

Best,

Farmer and Family

The thing with the Amish is that they are the greatest Americans I have ever meant and they don't even know it.

Day #4---Detox.

Apologize to folks that are following me and my grow if I haven't read your work. Will do my best to get there.

Let us talk grow!

Gone to collaborate with one of my nephews and maybe have one of my horse people family/friends help out.

Here are the strains so far.

All demonized.

1. Green Crack-Michigan friend. Basically line bred. Crossed Green Crack with Green Crack. Seems to be prepotent as fork!

2. Tropicana Cookies--- Mrs. Farmer R picked them out---CK

3. Crown Royale---CK---flagship strain.
Most durable versatile strain I've ever seen in my short cultivation career.

4. Gorrilla Glue---nephew picked out not sure about the breeder yet?

5. Crown Royale---F2 genetics from my girls I flipped three times. Mystery seeds that sparsely appear in my nugs.More or less accidental, didn't have enough room so pulled them in and out of my flower space. Pre flowered in beer pong cups with holes, then in one gallon clothes, then in three gallon clothes, and finished in fives.

6. Maybe some mystery seeds from some White Rhino?

Forgot whose journal I was reading but they references a strain called Kick A$$ or something? Wanna grow that shit.

Have about one cubic yard of composted soil composted three to six times. At least 15 ingredients probably closer to thirty. Was really crazy when I composted it like for real crazy as a shit house rat a day after Thanksgiving and shit.

Think I'll discuss my soil blends in this journal. Need to turn two or three times and submit a sample with my county extension agent who will ship it to a lab. Some ingredients on first compost run horseshit, Top Soil from ditch run off from tile wash outs, cedar wood chips, gypsum, calcium carbonate, soybean hulls, coco core, and Canadian Peet Moss.
Those are some of the primary ingredients. Little rabbit shit. I forgot composted like 10 foot horse weeds too and Canadian thistles pre seed. Alpalpha hay, coffee, rye straw, and a lot of other stuff. We will have to do some mining.

All some horse breeder had a huge pile of horse shit that was laying around five or six years. Think he had ties to the mophia or something. And even a little composted horse shit compliments of the Chicago PD.

All and some cactus pulp and rice hulls.
You name it yeah.

Gotta get to work!

Peace,

Sorry for the lack of updates and sorry if I haven't caught up on everyone's journals.
Detox lasted for a week it was worth it. First smoke was amazing. Think there are articles in the community about it.

Work has been crazy due to festive holiday rats that are quite difficult to eliminate.

Down to business. Think I am going to flip my Tropicana Cookies in my old 2×2.

Plan to run two 92 Watt COB, CREE LED's.

Two clip fans.

Primary Nutients: Meigs.
Soil medium: Lush

RH: 45
Temp range: 68F to 78 F.

Any assistance is appreciated.
Things to do before flip.

20210104_143619.jpg

20210104_143556.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates and sorry if I haven't caught up on everyone's journals.
Detox lasted for a week it was worth it. First smoke was amazing. Think there are articles in the community about it.

Work has been crazy due to festive holiday rats that are quite difficult to eliminate.

Two clip fans.

20210104_143619.jpg

20210104_143556.jpg
Woohoo! Beautiful plants!
Finally get to see you start a new grow! ;)
Looks great man!

Two clip fans.

20210104_143619.jpg

20210104_143556.jpg
Pretty plant buddy, its filling out nicely in that tent. Is the Tropicana cookies from inhouse genetics?

Back
Top Bottom