Final Flush: Myth Or Fact?

He invented the hempy bucket. He grows baseball bats... intelligent old gruff reticent hippie.. I won't put words into his mouth.. worth looking up if wanting to learn or expand knowledge/growing techniques..

The study is at the bottom of page.

Mycorrhizae dont cultivate well with synthetic nutes, which is unfortunate because they're the only fungi I'm aware of that creates a symbiotic bond with plant roots to promote nutrient and water uptake, when the plant calls for it.

Bacterias can withstand the high NPK concentrations, but only benefit of that afaik is it means less nutes are required. And downside is less control and knowledge over actual ppm uptake.

Really comes down to environment.

I found a study that claimed keeping the shoots colder than the roots grows a larger plant.

His test group isnt large enough imo, although the claims in size and dry weight difference are so drastic that it suggests there really is an impact on growth.

Going out on a limb, I have a gut feeling marijuana plants can only take what they need given their circumstances. Any higher, like force feeding synthetic nutes, and you see signs of excess and toxicity.

It's when you introduce other outside environmental variables like high CO2 content, perfect lumens and light spectrum, the (safe) natural growth hormones like triacontanol, amendments that boost chlorophyll numbers and photosynthesis, that they then will uptake higher NPK numbers to compensate for their new growth rates.

Photosynthesis usually becomes bottle-necked by CO2 fixation rates, which is why CO2 supplementation helps to boost it a little bit. Even then however, at a certain point, there becomes a point wherein photosynthesis isn't driving enough growth to need to uptake that many nutrients, and more addition of them to the soil will just be increasing the salt content of the solution at the root zone.

Also, people don't really think about "salts" in the right way. It's not like table salts or sodium, it just means that the water is impure with solids. The biggest way salts interfere with water uptake is because roots work through osmosis and absorbing through a membrane. When you have two bodies of water separated by a membrane, the direction of flow is determined by which has a higher concentration of salts in it. So if the water in your soil is saltier than that inside of the plant, it will have trouble taking up water through its roots.

You never going to flush anymore.. lmfao.... so how will you get over any lockouts when they occur?
Are you saying feeding water only for last couple weeks is flushing? Lmfao.. outta here, dudes been growing shit longer and hell lot better than all us, I'd say read some things from their bro science tips and reap the benefits.. 'hempy' is the one I suggest to follow, read what he says not how he says it... like some of you want to reinvent the wheel, make it rounder lmfao
Jorge Cervantes advocates that method be referred to as "leeching" rather than flushing. It does help minimize confusion. But even that method is a bit scientifically unfounded, as there's a lot of chemical science that shows water shouldn't be able to remove a lot of those nutrients from soil. @bobrown14 and @conradino23 know more of the specifics than I.

The study is at the bottom of page.

Mycorrhizae dont cultivate well with synthetic nutes, which is unfortunate because they're the only fungi I'm aware of that creates a symbiotic bond with plant roots to promote nutrient and water uptake, when the plant calls for it.

Bacterias can withstand the high NPK concentrations, but only benefit of that afaik is it means less nutes are required. And downside is less control and knowledge over actual ppm uptake.

Really comes down to environment.

I found a study that claimed keeping the shoots colder than the roots grows a larger plant.

His test group isnt large enough imo, although the claims in size and dry weight difference are so drastic that it suggests there really is an impact on growth.

There's actually a few other bacteria that do that. There's one that helps fix nitrogen, but I forget the name of it. Xtreme Gardening sells it as "Azos".

In most living soil enthusiast circles I've followed, they usually stress the importance of diversity. I wonder if there is evidence of just how much life it wipes out and not just the study done on mycorrhizae. I expect this might be where the argument comes from though, because it seems reasonable to conclude that if they would kill mycorrhizae, they could kill more than just that. It certainly doesn't seem to be the high-orbit-nuclear-death that it's purported as in some circles though.

Photosynthesis usually becomes bottle-necked by CO2 fixation rates, which is why CO2 supplementation helps to boost it a little bit. Even then however, at a certain point, there becomes a point wherein photosynthesis isn't driving enough growth to need to uptake that many nutrients, and more addition of them to the soil will just be increasing the salt content of the solution at the root zone.

Also, people don't really think about "salts" in the right way. It's not like table salts or sodium, it just means that the water is impure with solids. The biggest way salts interfere with water uptake is because roots work through osmosis and absorbing through a membrane. When you have two bodies of water separated by a membrane, the direction of flow is determined by which has a higher concentration of salts in it. So if the water in your soil is saltier than that inside of the plant, it will have trouble taking up water through its roots.

Jorge Cervantes advocates that method be referred to as "leeching" rather than flushing. It does help minimize confusion. But even that method is a bit scientifically unfounded, as there's a lot of chemical science that shows water shouldn't be able to remove a lot of those nutrients from soil. @bobrown14 and @conradino23 know more of the specifics than I.

There's actually a few other bacteria that do that. There's one that helps fix nitrogen, but I forget the name of it. Xtreme Gardening sells it as "Azos".

In most living soil enthusiast circles I've followed, they usually stress the importance of diversity. I wonder if there is evidence of just how much life it wipes out and not just the study done on mycorrhizae. I expect this might be where the argument comes from though, because it seems reasonable to conclude that if they would kill mycorrhizae, they could kill more than just that. It certainly doesn't seem to be the high-orbit-nuclear-death that it's purported as in some circles though.

The benefits of fungi may not outweigh the benefits of environmental factors.

That is to say, if a plant requires higher ppm concentrations of synthetic force feeding nutes to compensate for increased growth rates, it may indeed forfeit the benefits of using fungi, simply by killing them off.

High ppm concentrations kills, but it may not completely wipe them out, so routinely re-cultivating their numbers during a grow in an environment that promotes rapid growth, the two together hold potential for even more.

It might not be removing anything, could be diluting, whatever, it's not important unless to feel educated or superior, it's the act of what it achieves, is the relevance to home hobby growers..

Flushing is cannagrowers’ invention. In soil science there’s leaching, which is the process of losing cations and anions through heavy weather or water erosion.

I posted a study on that here:

You saying I'm not seeing a difference when doing abc but merely if had continued same samecand waited I'd see same results? :rofl:

You saying I'm not seeing a difference when doing abc but merely if had continued same samecand waited I'd see same results? :rofl:
I may have misunderstood what you're trying to say...

You ever hear "your mileage my vary"? Not everyone has had great results flushing to fix their problems. Once I read the study conrad posted up there I stopped wasting my time trying to fix my problem with flushing, and just started watering with more run-off and transplanting more and I never had to flush a pot again. It's not about feeling superior, educating myself allowed me to not waste my time and energy carrying pots around to the shower. In the long run it benefited my plants too, because my soil doesn't get as compacted from constantly flushing with gallons of water now either.

But do what you feel is right man. I'm not trying to feel superior to anyone. I suggested you call it "leeching" because it's a way to avoid the confusion between flushing to remove soil from nutrients, and plain-watering at the end of the cycle, which you yourself pointed out. I just thought the scientific aspect of "leeching" not being well supported was relevant to this thread since it's all about the scientific aspect of flushing not being supported either. If you go back and read it you'll see I'm actually a bit more on your side about empirical evidence and anecdotes not being meaningless.

I was going to ask if your being facetious? Cause I know you know how grow plants.. Unless, which will likely be case, my interpretation and understanding of your meaning is off :rofl:
A lot of this isn't even a concern cause don't really run into lockouts and know how to finish a plant, what's happening and resin for doing something can be the same with different explanations due to misinterpreted observations but achieving same results..

If your plant is still feeding high ppm and eating it up, your plants not ready to finish..

Back
Top Bottom