Finally, A Second Grow Journal!

Twisty was also topped and an attempt made to clone her. Time will tell. I wasn't to find of her mutation but I don't have tons of seeds and already lost quite a few this season. Need that bang for my buck :confused:
IMG_20191123_201738.jpg

RC1 lightly tied down
IMG_20191123_203417.jpg

Current set up, 75w @23" from RC1, clones off to the side for less light
IMG_20191123_203609.jpg

The two solo cups are the clone attempts.
35% coast if Maine soil, 20% coco and the rest is the seed starter soil

Unrelated to this grow but I've got some nice beans coming in soon, going to have to get a second tent set up somewhere hahaha

Dark devil
Pink kush
Glueberry og
Anesthesia
Gelato.og
GSC
Colorado cookies
Chemdog#4
Original skunk #1
Cheese fem
White widow
Alaskan purple

And some random throw ins that weren't specified, mighd do a SOG with 2 liters to test em out

If the nutes are good, I'd suspect over or under watering.
How does ro perform with MC Salt. I thought it was not beneficial. ?. also thought maybe cal mag if using led and ro with pre nutes soil too. ??

I saw emilyas grow using two water but I had already bought 5 gals of RO and was just getting it out of the way, my tap water is a bit harsh at 330 ppm though
wow that is some hard water mate. from the posts on the mc thread too , it will be sortable. I use a living organic too but it needed time to get active enough to feed the plants so I used mc to boost it slightly. I only have 4 plants in it and the rest are coco but still a bit over N. Mr Sauga has it bang in with advice too and he is someone I would always take advice myself from. Mc is amazing stuff though and seeing emmy use it was my final barrier down after going organic this grow. Rhe soil I have is a "soil for life" so will be "no-till" for the next round in them. Plan is to continue doing coco or another medium alongside too. organic weed does have a unique taste so have to keep on this track too. As Emilya says , its vegan and not salt based so mc is still on par with it which is what I am excited to find out at harvest.
On the seeds front , did you say you lost a lot ? , what happened, how germed ?. Hated germination but I have great results now just going from packet into dampened root riot plugs, no soaking the seed , just straight into the cube and then under your germination light in a heated propagator. Keep them moist and bingo 100% pop. It is the messing with them that seems to cause so many failures to germinate. I have a lot of seed deaths on my hands too over the decades.lol
I used to clone to avoid seed growing but changed tact a long time ago as I love the vigour of seedlings.

wow that is some hard water mate. from the posts on the mc thread too , it will be sortable. I use a living organic too but it needed time to get active enough to feed the plants so I used mc to boost it slightly. I only have 4 plants in it and the rest are coco but still a bit over N. Mr Sauga has it bang in with advice too and he is someone I would always take advice myself from. Mc is amazing stuff though and seeing emmy use it was my final barrier down after going organic this grow. Rhe soil I have is a "soil for life" so will be "no-till" for the next round in them. Plan is to continue doing coco or another medium alongside too. organic weed does have a unique taste so have to keep on this track too. As Emilya says , its vegan and not salt based so mc is still on par with it which is what I am excited to find out at harvest.
On the seeds front , did you say you lost a lot ? , what happened, how germed ?. Hated germination but I have great results now just going from packet into dampened root riot plugs, no soaking the seed , just straight into the cube and then under your germination light in a heated propagator. Keep them moist and bingo 100% pop. It is the messing with them that seems to cause so many failures to germinate. I have a lot of seed deaths on my hands too over the decades.lol
I used to clone to avoid seed growing but changed tact a long time ago as I love the vigour of seedlings.
Thanks for popping into the journal GGD, yea definitely agree, sauga definitely knows his stuff and I'm glad I got some input fom him. I feel like it already helped and I haven't done anything yet lol. I'll have to try organics another time as this one was botched from the start....

As for the germing process, RO water in a shot glass 12-24 hours until they sank and into a wet paper towel folded up in a Ziploc bag .. a couple wouldn't even crack to get a tail even after a few days so I cut one of the seeds at that point and the tap root was a sickly brown color... Bad few seeds possibly but I'll happily put it down as my errors. I'll be getting peat plugs for the next run I believe

How does ro perform with MC Salt. I thought it was not beneficial. ?. also thought maybe cal mag if using led and ro with pre nutes soil too. ??

I'm using Mega Crop with coco/perlite and water from the RO, under LED lighting. They say an RO is not required, BUT the water from my well has more than ten times the allowable limit of arsenic.

This configuration probably has the highest demand for cal/mag, and I saw some deficiencies. I tried the Mega Crop mantra of feed more, but this took me over the concentration I was comfortable with (7gm/gal). I started adding General Hydroponics' CALiMAGic at 0.1 ml/l. That seems to have corrected the problems.

I'm using Mega Crop with coco/perlite and water from the RO, under LED lighting. They say an RO is not required, BUT the water from my well has more than ten times the allowable limit of arsenic.

This configuration probably has the highest demand for cal/mag, and I saw some deficiencies. I tried the Mega Crop mantra of feed more, but this took me over the concentration I was comfortable with (7gm/gal). I started adding General Hydroponics' CALiMAGic at 0.1 ml/l. That seems to have corrected the problems.
I have the same cal mag but as my deficiency is pretty well along I think I'll do a half dose of the recommendation

Germination was never much of a problem, at least 90% of my seeds germinated. The problem for me was always keeping the seedlings alive to reach the vegetative stage. I'd lose more than half. My current grow is the first one with 100% germination, and 100% survival. Two things changed...

I plant the germinated seed when the tap root is 1/8" - 1/4" (3-6mm) long.
Water sparingly

I suspect that when the tap root was longer, that I was damaging it during planting. With a tap root that short, it's much less likely to be damaged.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think you can drown your plants in coco, at least during the seedling stage. During this grow I started using Emilya's techniques for soil with my coco grow. I water beside the stem for the first few days, about once every two to three days, then water the edges of the pot to tease the roots out. I don't start watering to run off until the second set of leaves appear.

Note that I plant the seeds in 4" (10cm) nursery pots. They stay there until after they are topped, and have the branches growing. This is about three weeks after the seed was planted.

thanks salt. as I thought on the lack of mg for mine too.

Germination was never much of a problem, at least 90% of my seeds germinated. The problem for me was always keeping the seedlings alive to reach the vegetative stage. I'd lose more than half. My current grow is the first one with 100% germination, and 100% survival. Two things changed...

Water sparingly

I suspect that when the tap root was longer, that I was damaging it during planting. With a tap root that short, it's much less likely to be damaged.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think you can drown your plants in coco, at least during the seedling stage. During this grow I started using Emilya's techniques for soil with my coco grow. I water beside the stem for the first few days, about once every two to three days, then water the edges of the pot to tease the roots out. I don't start watering to run off until the second set of leaves appear.

Note that I plant the seeds in 4" (10cm) nursery pots. They stay there until after they are topped, and have the branches growing. This is about three weeks after the seed was planted.
good technique salt. I am not a seedling stage fan either tbh. I have had a few failures along the way but cant win em all.lol.
losing so many Hulkberry clones to spidermite was more gutting. fighting them and watching them win till only had 1 survivor to to finish the grow with of the strain. grrr. lol
The teasing and watering method is so obvious you wouldnt use it till you do !!!. #MeToo. lol

Water sparingly

As I don't have that small of a pot and would be using Solo cups essentially 90% of the substrate should be dry until 2nd leaves correct? Only water a few ml of water around the outside of the seed? I probably drowned mine

much happier now that the majority of the water is drained from the pot (the dropping leaf on the right is due to my fan I believe) just about ready for topping I believe...
Any votes on how I should train this one? Advertised as a 70/30 sativa/ indica but growing taller than my RC were
IMG_20191128_122843.jpg

28 days above soil for my Raspberry cough, 24 days for the taller DK
IMG_20191128_122902.jpg

Can't wait for her to finish drying out this pot, antsy to try the RO CalMag water and get her fixed up
IMG_20191129_010610.jpg

IMG_20191129_010631.jpg

Regret topping so soon, but giving the second node a shot at catching the first. Also starting on the 3rd nodes on each of the mainlined branches
RC1
IMG_20191129_011052.jpg

Twisty
IMG_20191129_010911.jpg

Quick note, humidity has been pretty high, 50-75% and temps pretty low 60.5-70.5°f how badly will this slow growth with the girls being mostly sativa ?

Back
Top Bottom