First Ever Grow: DWC With Remo Nutes & Ethos Seeds

Steve Jobs

I’ve never grown anything that involves this much attention and I’ve never used hydroponics so I’ll be relying on some help from you fine folk.

I spent a fair bit of money on my setup. 3x3 tent. 7 citizen clu 048 1212 3500k 90cri. Running at 1400mA

I built a DWC tote, 18 gallon for 2 plants. Have 4 air stones with a 15lpm air pump and have a small water pump to pump nutrient water directly to the roots to speed up the veg.

I’m currently Germinating 2 Ethos zsweet inzanity seeds. Never done that before either so fingers crossed as they weren’t cheap.

Will keep this updated every few days with pictures.

Being in Canada I can’t find a solid beneficial bacteria to run so I’m really hoping I don’t encounter root rot

35C025D3-B3D0-4CD3-BDE3-8202EF1B9149.jpeg
E0DFD196-25FC-47D0-9535-6B6A44678871.jpeg
15A3A5D7-7DD2-4798-BCA3-51BD7E1DB6BE.jpeg
9433BE52-794A-4042-B651-7F6B15D6BF5E.jpeg

Update. Seeds popped on the 9th. One stretched out cause I had them in the dark. Put them under 3 cobs dimmed and lowered and they look much better now.

This was before I had them under light. They weren’t very green and didn’t look very healthy cause they needed light. Next time I’ll be sure to put them under light on day 2.

Attachments

• 92218CFF-5141-4045-BB10-ED42623D5220.jpeg
    92218CFF-5141-4045-BB10-ED42623D5220.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 169
Looking nice to start off Steve. I’m an exclusive dwc grower. Wishing I best of luck. After much research. I find that a double rez isn’t always a good Idea because if one plant gets sick she will give it to the others. And same with nutrients. If one plant is stronger it will try to overcome the other plant by drinking harder and faster. Or just over grow completely. I’m here for u. I use general hydroponic I’ve found that to work best for me.

Looking nice to start off Steve. I’m an exclusive dwc grower. Wishing I best of luck. After much research. I find that a double rez isn’t always a good Idea because if one plant gets sick she will give it to the others. And same with nutrients. If one plant is stronger it will try to overcome the other plant by drinking harder and faster. Or just over grow completely. I’m here for u. I use general hydroponic I’ve found that to work best for me.

Nice to have you. Thanks for the info. I never really considered that the 2 plant thing could cause trouble. I’ll probably ride this grow out as is. Can always switch to 5 gal pails next time around.

I was off to a decent start until I pulled idiot and my thermometer fell over on one of the seedlings. Broke the stem, not completely torn off so I put a straw around it and hoping it heals itself. If it doesn’t then I’m either running 1 plant which I’d rather not do, or I’m germing another which probably won’t work cause the 2 plant system and heavier nutes. So guess I’m stuck with 1 if it dies. It’s been 24 hours, it hasn’t grown but it it doesn’t seem to be visibly dying either. Maybe if my one dies I’ll quickly whip together a 5 gal and have a solo 5 gal.

I bought a 15 litre per minute air pump and I don’t think it’s as powerful as I’d like so I ordered a bigger one lol

I’ll post some pics today. I’m new to dwc in a big way so I’ll be in need of help as I go. So far I just mixed some pretty weak nutes. Used too much ph up/down to level out so my ppm took a jump.

How often do you switch your dwc water iceman? You do the recommended weekly? Bi weekly? Just top up until flower then swap? I don’t like the idea of dumping perfectly fine nute water out only to replace it.

Wish I wasn’t an impatient moron I’d have 2 plants going instead of 1 and a cripple lol.

Ok so here are a couple pics. My res is filled a bit above half but I’m top feeding with a water pump on minimum. First pic is the plant that isn’t broken. Had to support with a straw cause it stretched. My fault entirely. Second pic is the cripple that’s hopefully on the mend.

Only have 3 cobs running,placed the plants under 1 each the best I could. Half dimmed about 12” up.

My main worries are root rot, over/under feeding nutes and just general ph/ppm fluctuations.

Attachments

• B56B2865-8F9A-4C76-817B-E11FDDD48A73.jpeg
    B56B2865-8F9A-4C76-817B-E11FDDD48A73.jpeg
    513 KB · Views: 220
  • 8B4C671E-C88E-4760-A358-9FF76F4BF04B.jpeg
    8B4C671E-C88E-4760-A358-9FF76F4BF04B.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 4E5E53B5-0A8F-49EA-A47C-ADD0CB820B9C.jpeg
    4E5E53B5-0A8F-49EA-A47C-ADD0CB820B9C.jpeg
    643 KB · Views: 205
Also I’ve got a bunch of irremovable dog hair, so I hope that isn’t an issue. In flowering I’ll have to be careful not to get it in buds.

Should I paper plate over the net pots?

Edit~~ water temp is about 72, ph is 6.15 according to my pen, ppm is probably around 300 after my learning experience with ph up/down. Nutes were only at like 150ppm with ro water.

I switch buckets weekly. It sucks wasting nutrients but also if you leave it. It gives it time to make bad bacteria and root rot. So I prefer weekly 5 gallon buckets. They will hold 3gall of mix perfect and give a really nice splashing effect with a 6 inch net pot. Now with dwc you don’t feed them right away they are to fragile. Let them grow a few sets of leaves and then start them low. Take a look at one of my grows. It shows whole setups and nutrients mixing. It will give you a general idea.

Yeah yours looked nice off the start. What light do you start your seedlings under? Mine just seemed to be standing still so I figured I’d toss in small amounts of nutes. I don’t see any negative effects so far so fingers crossed.
How long from the seed popping should your first set be almost fully grown.? Mine popped on the 9th but I didn’t catch them immediately so they stretched and were stressed off the get-go. It’s an overall learning experience so if it goes awry I’ll start over.

I plan on running hydroguard so I’m hoping that minimizes any chances of root rot.

I could take up to 7 days. For it to actually pop out of the soil then another 7 Days for 3 sets of leaves. Then she gets fed. But if u keep the ppm low you should b fine

Well sadly my seedlings didn’t make it. I butchered the one by breaking it and the other just wasn’t growing. I think I transplanted too early. I’m starting again in rapid rooter starter plugs and a humidity dome with a heat mat.

I’m going to make sure to turn the lights on earlier this time to avoid massive stretching and not going to over water this time either. I think that those were my two downfalls.

@Icemann420 any thing I should know to make my seedlings lives easier? I see you start with Rockwool. Do you keep yours in the dark until popped or under lights? Do you cover to keep humidity? And for how long. I’m hoping my 3500k cobs can work with seedlings as after a failure I’m concerned about everything I did right or wrong.

I don’t care as much that I’m wasting high priced seeds I care more about succeceeding as I don’t like failing lol.

I feel like I should have left them in the plugs longer. Should I take off the heat mat as soon as they pop? Should I even use a heat mat?

Added if I can’t get these seeds to live I’m goin. To be going to a friend who I can get clones through. I want to grow my own strains tho. I know it’s not fool proof. I just don’t know where I went wrong. Only things I can think is over watered and too slow with the lights on pop and too much light possibly once they were seedlings. They weren’t struggling visibly above ground but my root growth just wasn’t there

I switched from rock wool to rapid rooter plugs. The Rockwool has an ph issue. It holds a high ph and constantly needs flushes or adjustments. The rapid rooter works nicely. But I’d suggest great white bacteria soak the plug in the great white and ph water mix for 24 hours. Crack the seed in a bowl of water. Separately from the starter plugs With great white and ph of 5.8. After the seed splits. Put it in the plug and put directly under the light. It dose not nave to be close. Just lit to make the seed wanna grow. And grow it in the plug intill the seedling is showing really nice root growth. Them place it in the dwc setup. And don’t feed till there is 2-3 sets of true leaves. Or you can tell they need to feed. And you should be great from there.

I’m subbed man I been looking at Ethos seeds their stuff looks so good. Sorry you lost your seedlings. Wish I could help with the DWC but Im a newb and a organic grower.
Thanks brother. Hoping second time is a charm. Sucks wasting seeds at $20 a pop lol. I knew there would be a learning curve. I made some rookie mistakes that I will be correcting this time around. As far as dwc goes I never even really got to the point of using it. Seedlings just didn’t take off enough for it to matter. Obviously the issue was something I did or didn’t do. Roots just didn’t develop like they needed to. Hopefully I can get these ones going and show what ethos can do.

I switched from rock wool to rapid rooter plugs. The Rockwool has an ph issue. It holds a high ph and constantly needs flushes or adjustments. The rapid rooter works nicely. But I’d suggest great white bacteria soak the plug in the great white and ph water mix for 24 hours. Crack the seed in a bowl of water. Separately from the starter plugs With great white and ph of 5.8. After the seed splits. Put it in the plug and put directly under the light. It dose not nave to be close. Just lit to make the seed wanna grow. And grow it in the plug intill the seedling is showing really nice root growth. Them place it in the dwc setup. And don’t feed till there is 2-3 sets of true leaves. Or you can tell they need to feed. And you should be great from there.

Thanks for the info. I don’t have any great white. It doesn’t seem readily available in Canada. I’m going to try to germ again with what I have and if that doesn’t work then I’ll be looking into it further. I’m sure there is an option that’s available in Canada.

I definitely swapped over to dwc too soon and kept them way too wet. I’ll be turning my lights on tonight. Put seeds in rapid rooter and watered lightly with a bit of water in my tray for humidity around noon. I’ll flick lights on before I go to sleep. I’ll be sure to leave them in my tray longer this time, just figured they’d be starved for air and space to grow being restricted to the trays edges.

I figure I’ll take them off the heat mat as soon as they pop. As far as the humidity dome is concerned, should I keep the lid on for a while after they pop? My tent is pretty low humidity. Not sure how much they need. It’s probably only 25%-30% in the tent.

I ended up opening up the rapid rooter to see roots on the plant that wasn’t growing well and there really wasn’t much there. Not for the amount of time they’ve been going.

Also noticed when I pulled apart my tote that the lines and yup had a bit of slimy ness to them where the water was. I’m thinking that’s bad? Or is it usual?

That’s bacteria. Growing. It does happen but we don’t want it. That’s where z7 flying skulls comes in handy. Or the great white. But with the humidity I don’t use doses. I just keep the plug bottom warm and moist not wet. And light 24/7. Are you doing autos. Or photo cell

Back
Top Bottom