First grow - Couple of questions

morb

Hey all,
I'm in the getting stuff ready stage for my first grow.
What I have sofar:
Northern Lights fem auto
3 - 150 watt cfl
I have a wood box that measures 24'' high by 13'' wide and 23'' deep. I'm planning on using soil for growing, still working on getting that together.
Will the box I already have work to grow one or 2 plants or will I need something bigger? How many more lights do you think I would need? Trying to do things on the cheap for now.

Thanks

I don't think you are getting any responses because people are trying to be nice.

It is very hard to give you an answer because most of the people on here do not waste there hard earned money and valuable time on on CFL's. You will be disappointing and not many here have serious experience on such a futile endeavor.

Now you are going to run 450W of CFL...why not run a 400W HPS and get real product that will actually get you high? I know you say you are on a budget but the answer to that is wait until you have the money to buy the correct equipment. If you do this wrong you will spend a ton of money on nutes and other crap and in the end crash the plant and have garbage.

24" high my friend is straight up a joke. Nothing can be grown in that. You need minimum 8 inches to the bulbs which will be 4 - 6 inches from the ceiling. That leaves you 10 inches max for your grow. So if your plant actually works and doubles in size in the grow from say 3 to 6 or 10 inches then you have to cut a hole in the floor for your pot.

None of that talks about air flow or humidity controls. The smaller the space the more difficult it is to control the environment. You would never be able to make that happy place for cannabis.

No one is responding because what you described can not work and is a disaster waiting to happen.

Good luck!!!!

:Namaste:

I don't think you are getting any responses because people are trying to be nice.

It is very hard to give you an answer because most of the people on here do not waste there hard earned money and valuable time on on CFL's. You will be disappointing and not many here have serious experience on such a futile endeavor.

Now you are going to run 450W of CFL...why not run a 400W HPS and get real product that will actually get you high? I know you say you are on a budget but the answer to that is wait until you have the money to buy the correct equipment. If you do this wrong you will spend a ton of money on nutes and other crap and in the end crash the plant and have garbage.

24" high my friend is straight up a joke. Nothing can be grown in that. You need minimum 8 inches to the bulbs which will be 4 - 6 inches from the ceiling. That leaves you 10 inches max for your grow. So if your plant actually works and doubles in size in the grow from say 3 to 6 or 10 inches then you have to cut a hole in the floor for your pot.

None of that talks about air flow or humidity controls. The smaller the space the more difficult it is to control the environment. You would never be able to make that happy place for cannabis.

No one is responding because what you described can not work and is a disaster waiting to happen.

Good luck!!!!

:Namaste:

Thanks for the info, now that I know it wont work I will move on to something that will. I hope people on this site aren't too nice and never answer any of my dumb questions

VI is right in that you simply cannot grow anything in a tiny box. Cannibus does best when it has room to grow, and it certainly will grow. A LOT! Even with LST, you're not going to get anything smaller than 30" tall and at least as wide.

Now, I am a CFL grower, because I have to be careful of the heat, so I don't burn this trailer down. The trick is to use enough of them in both daylight and regular bulbs, so you get the proper intensities and wavelengths: Mostly Daylight for veg and all regular for the warm "autumn" wavelengths.

CFL's will do you until you can afford the higher-priced lighting, but you'll have to keep the new lights a lot further from the plants. CFLs need to be within a couple inches, some of the high-heat output lights need to be 18" or more from the plants to keep from burning them.

So, plan ahead, and go big with your grow area, even is all you can do is hang some tarps from the ceiling, or commandeer a built-in closet. Be creative!

VI is right in that you simply cannot grow anything in a tiny box. Cannibus does best when it has room to grow, and it certainly will grow. A LOT! Even with LST, you're not going to get anything smaller than 30" tall and at least as wide.

Now, I am a CFL grower, because I have to be careful of the heat, so I don't burn this trailer down. The trick is to use enough of them in both daylight and regular bulbs, so you get the proper intensities and wavelengths: Mostly Daylight for veg and all regular for the warm "autumn" wavelengths.

CFL's will do you until you can afford the higher-priced lighting, but you'll have to keep the new lights a lot further from the plants. CFLs need to be within a couple inches, some of the high-heat output lights need to be 18" or more from the plants to keep from burning them.

So, plan ahead, and go big with your grow area, even is all you can do is hang some tarps from the ceiling, or commandeer a built-in closet. Be creative!

Thanks. I read some stuff about guys using computer cases and such for growing, so thats where I got the idea of using the box I have. how 'bout something 4'x4'x6' would that be ok? I commandeered a plywood box with those dimensions, I don't think it would take much to set it up.

There are a lot of people doing 4ft tents. I wouldn't but it is dooable. So again run the math and you will find probably the best thing to do is run a short tub and do a small DWC grow to get the extra height.

Snoop around in the journals an look for 4 ft grows to see how they do it.

I have top of the line lighting that wont work in a 4 foot grow. For you probably a set of T5 lights or some LED's are the way to go. I don't use those so I can't be of much help there.

I can help with the DWC part but figure out your lighting solution next as that will give you a good understanding of what dimensions are left for growth.

You will need to keep the plants a few inches away form the lights. Depends on what kind but absolutely no closer than 8 inches. So again decide on lighting then figure out what is left.

I think AKGramma does a small grow with CFLs that might be just what you should do.

Some people dnt have money and cfl are easy to get and affordable. I have mine in a cardboard box with same measures except it's 18 inch deep and I got four growing in 2 pots and doing weel with 2 23 watt cfl lights and a 18 Inc Flo and here's a pic
20151226_234419.jpg
20151226_234406.jpg
20151118_200903.jpg
last pic is setup but I added a costum hood for cfl

Morb: 4x4x6 is a good size to start with.

You want to keep your plant numbers down, no more than 4 to start with, if you're going to use the same box for veg and flower. Your ladies will get quite large, if you allow them to get a bit bigger before switching them to 12/12. I generally don't flip until they are about 30 - 36" tall, and about 30" in diameter. The width is from the lst'ing I do early on to increase yield.

You can use a bunch of 23Watt Daylight CFLs for veg and 23Watt soft white CFLs for flower. CFL's should be placed about 3" from the top of the plant, so it's important to keep an even canopy by tying branches down. I mix both for Veg, with 1/4 of the lights on a separate timer for 4 hours of midday light. Most people don't do this, but varying the amount of light is more like nature.

If you are working towards a perpetual grow, you will want one or two extra wire shelving units, like I use, one for each stage of growth. I just posted a pic of the latest unit in my first journal, linked in my siggy. It ain't pretty, but it gets the job done.

I gotta be careful here not to ramble on. This hobby can get so involved!

That's not exactly true smaller dnt mean harder to control mine is smaller space than his and I maintain heat and humidity perfect. Never went over 88 and always start between 40 to 50 humidity

Morb: You CAN do the whole grow in one box, but you'll only be able to get one, maybe two harvests a year.

With a separate shelving unit, or by stealing a closet, you can have one veg and one flower area, switch your ladies about a month apart, and have a consistent, year-around supply.

Yes I used a smaller box to rise the plants to the light for optimal growth I also lst my main one for a week then released her now she looks like a bamboo tree. I think they are at 3rd week of flower bud sights are formed and filling in

Yes I used a smaller box to rise the plants to the light for optimal growth I also lst my main one for a week then released her now she looks like a bamboo tree. I think they are at 3rd week of flower bud sights are formed and filling in

Creative use of those boxes that your equipment comes in. :winkyface: It's easier to raise and lower the plants than to raise and lower a lighting unit. Also safer for the ladies!

Back
Top Bottom