First Grow: Few questions about health

Ph the water after you add the nutes, I mix cal-mag and bloom nutes and have never had any ill effects. I ph down to about 5.8, but my water is terrible, high EC/PPM's of dissolved solids.
Just to clarify (sorry I’m new to the science portion):

Mix nutes and cal mag, take pH of water and adjust with pH up/down as necessary and then water

Here’s the other plant, my bushier one I’ve documented previously in this thread:

Once again, my research leads me to believe it’s a magnesium deficiency/pH problem. Only the leaves at the bottom of the plant are doing this at the moment but I just wanted to be sure that I’m correct in my guess that it’s a pH problem or magnesium deficiency before I feed her anything. Both girls haven’t had any nutes in ~2.5 weeks, just a watering of fresh, RO water. Thank you all very very much!!
6EB1E0F0-3808-46F7-B28C-CE9964A737C0.jpeg
E794B738-0EB4-401C-8A2A-FDCBFBCA517F.jpeg
Hello my friend.
What is in your pots?
Why are you starving that beautiful girl?
Unless your in LOS you should be feeding full nutrients week 2 of bloom. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill

Just to clarify (sorry I’m new to the science portion):

Mix nutes and cal mag, take pH of water and adjust with pH up/down as necessary and then water
Hold on what's in your pot? @rapidash

Hi Bill,

Currently using soil (Miracle Grow performance organics to be exact) with some perlite mixed in and some rocks at the bottom to help with the flow of water
As @Phytoplankton said put the calmag in your water first, it's important.
Wait a few minutes then add your nutrients as per the schedule week 2 of flower.
Then set your ph to 6.3.
Then feed.
Are you letting it dry right out after? 3-4 days sometimes.
Then give plain water next time.
Let her dry right out again.
Then Mix and feed again at 6.3.
Dry
Water
Dry
Feed
Keep going like this until harvest.
Follow your nutrient schedule exactly.
Ph 6.3

Stay safe
Bill

Wait a few minutes then add your nutrients as per the schedule week 2 of flower.
Then set your ph to 6.3.
Then feed.
Dry
Water
Dry
Feed
Ph 6.3

Stay safe
Bill
Yes sir I am letting it dry out, I learned early I was overwatering and I feel like I have corrected that problem finally. Thank you very much for the detailed schedule, I will do it exactly as such and update you fine people further down the road!

Then set your ph to 6.3.
Then feed.
Dry
Water
Dry
Feed
Ph 6.3

Stay safe
Bill
Since my calmag and pH+/- won’t be here until Monday, should I do a feed of bloom nutes now (it’s about time to water again), or should I wait until everything gets here and hold off on watering until Monday and start the schedule then

Since my calmag and pH+/- won’t be here until Monday, should I do a feed of bloom nutes now (it’s about time to water again), or should I wait until everything gets here and hold off on watering until Monday and start the schedule then
Keep an eye on them and try and make it to the feed.
Obviously if they show signs of a problem water them.
Can you turn your light down or raise it until Monday?

Stay safe
Bill

Keep an eye on them and try and make it to the feed.
Obviously if they show signs of a problem water them.
Can you turn your light down or raise it until Monday?

Stay safe
Bill
Coincidentally I raised the light last night to be sure I wasn’t burning them— I’ll hold off on installing my new light until everything is here Monday so they should be okay!

Got calmag and pH up/down today, followed @Phytoplankton and @Bill284 ’s instructions to the T and got everything added to my water with a pH of between 6.3 and 6.4. Fed the plants, installed new light and next time when I water with just plain water I’ll take a sample of the runoff and test the pH and make adjustments as needed. Thanks again, I’ll update with more photos in a week or two as things get going once more.

Happy holidays!

Another useful tool is an EC (electro conductivity meter) and/or a dissolved solids (ppm) meter. Basically you want the runoff to be the same or lower in dissolved solids than the water/nutes you add. Higher ppms coming out than going in means your getting a buildup of salts.

Another useful tool is an EC (electro conductivity meter) and/or a dissolved solids (ppm) meter. Basically you want the runoff to be the same or lower in dissolved solids than the water/nutes you add. Higher ppms coming out than going in means your getting a buildup of salts.
Both pH pens and TDS (EC pens) are fairly inexpensive. Cheap ones work just fine. Calibrate them with liquid standards about once per month. You can easily buy the liquid standards for calibration. Just buy the TDS pen (EC pen) for the common horticultural zone of measurement, generally 50-1500ppm (EC 0.1 to 3). Same with the calibration standards. TDS pens (EC pens) are calibrated for different ranges. You don't want one that does not cover your measurement zone of interest.

Those measuring pens are sensitive to dropping them on a hard surface. I found that out with my pH pen. It was only $20 so it was easy to replaced. It was a pain though. Now I take better care. If you attach a strap to the pen and loop your wrist, if the pen slips in your fingers during measurement it will not hit the ground or be submerged in liquid and ruined.

Here’s an update:

She’s been fed and defoliated and looking quite lovely atm :)

8C9548CA-DB84-4282-90F0-4584AD03174A.jpeg
Good evening @rapidash hope you are well tonight.
She looks perky.
Glad you got your delivery.
Keep feeding full nutrients, 6.3 and alternative. :thumb:
Everyone has their own style, that's great but I'm not a big fan of defoliation.
Especially if she isn't fully healthy.
She needs energy is all I'm saying. :Namaste:
Just curious is their a reason you didn't fill the pot up?
And their are holes in the bottom right. ;)

Stay safe
Bill

Truthfully, it’s my first grow and I was ignorant to the fact I should fill it all the way to the brim. I’m already anxious to begin my next grow so I can take all the mistakes I’ve made and things I’ve learned and put them to good use.

On the bright side, there are holes in the bottom of the bucket! ;)

Happy holidays to all of you!

Truthfully, it’s my first grow and I was ignorant to the fact I should fill it all the way to the brim. I’m already anxious to begin my next grow so I can take all the mistakes I’ve made and things I’ve learned and put them to good use.

You might want to leave an inch or so, just so water does not overflow and perlite float away.

With most media, if you fill em to the top the first time you water it’ll sink an inch or so, which is usually just about right. One other minor thing, next time you’d be better off in 20 qt. grow bags than using plastic buckets. It’s drains and aerates better and it’s easier to see salt build up. Make sure your pots are not sitting in water.

I figured you had holes, just didn't fill her up.
Not the end of world.
Just something to remember for next time.
If you chek my Gorilla Glue clone thread in my sig I explain how to fill pots properly and transplanting and a bunch of other important things.
Check it out.
Stay safe
Bill

Back
Top Bottom