First Grow - Home Made

iigrow

I have been wanting to grow my own for a while now I finally got around to it.

Currently I have 4 unknown seeds germinating but I will purchase better ones as I investigate which ones are right for me.

IMG_64716.jpg

Building Details:

- Used old wooden cabinet 75cm Long x 75cm wide x 38cm deep
- Mylar (I used a large stapler to staple it onto the wooden interior.
- Wood strips for lamps
- Drill screws etc..
- Four spot lights
- Electrical wire + wall plugs.
- Four small wheels
- Power strips
- Small sponge to place under the pump for vibrating sound reduction.

Grow stuff

- 3 Inch grow pots
- Four Sylvania 25 Watt ( Says it equals to 125W) light bulbs 6500 K - 1450 Lumens - E27 socket
- Four Sylvania E27 25 Watt ( Says it equals to 125W) light bulbs 2700 K - 1450 Lumens - E27 socket
- Active Aqua Hydrofarm Air Pump 2 Outlets
- Submersible Water Pump 250 ( for 25 gallons )
- Two 2 x 2 x 14 Air stones
- Small 6 inch ckip on fan
- Timer

Nutrients

- Rapid Rooter Plugs
- Recipe for success formula
- Lava rock - Need to get hydroton or similar.

I basically first covered the interior of the cabinet in Mylar with a stapler and cut any edges out with scissors. I then drilled three 3 inch holes, 1 for electrical and 2 for air floor. I also added 4 wheels to the cabinet for easy roll around I may need, it also made it easier to work with since its heavy.

IMG_64555.jpg

IMG_64575.jpg

I grabbed one of the wooden strips and covered it with mylar and connected 4 spot lights directly to the wood. I also did 2 electrical wire connections one to each spot light. I choose the spot light since it was easier to move and direct light towards the plants. It's not hanging but this made it easier to just stick up there.

IMG_64613.jpg

IMG_64605.jpg

I put the cables so they all came out from the same side. I directed these towards the back and guided the cables with strips towards the bottom so they don't get in the way.

I'm using 2 spray painted tubs with 2 cups but I may change that to a bigger tub and add a water pump for more water movement.

IMG_64635.jpg

I stapled mylar on the top of the tubs, however I left extra space that serves as side panels for more reflection from the bottom up. Hope this works!

IMG_64663.jpg

Added a small hook in the back for the electrical cable to hold it while I roll it around when needed.

IMG_64654.jpg

Terrible stealth Mode!

IMG_64707.jpg

Still Pending:

- More stealth, light & pump sound.
- Fans for airflow
- Screens and light leakage from 3 holes.
- Purchase correct type of seeds
- PH Meter
- Co2

I'm not done yet and still putting things together but this is what I got so far. If anyone has recommendations im happy to hear!

subbed.

I would suggest getting a ppm meter. also cal/mag+ will be your best friend for this grow.

dwc is a tough method for a first time grower. ever consider a simpler medium?

subbed.

I would suggest getting a ppm meter. also cal/mag+ will be your best friend for this grow.

dwc is a tough method for a first time grower. ever consider a simpler medium?

Thanks for the reply!

Im ok for the DWC ride :) I will try first and if not I will just change over to soil.

Im currently having heating issues that I need to solve today. I have 125 Watt CFL's with 1520 Lumens. I'm going to stop by the store to pick up 40Watt with less lumens to see how the heat issue goes.

I had one of the six seeds sprout today but it seems a little yellow. Either way this serves as a test, while I wait for the seeds I ordered today.

Cheers!

I have never grown in a small space like yours, so heat has never been an issue for me.

I have a friend who also grows in a small cab. I noticed that his cab had a lot of air flow. it had an induction and exhaust fan. he is also running a 400w led with built in heat sinks and fans. his cab stays right around 75-78 degrees. he ended up ditching the dwc after his first grow and switched to coco, since he had all the hydro nutes. I never heard him complain of heat.

Looking good. I know the grow cab is not easy to put together you did a great job. Maybe think of an inline duct fan to help with heat?

I'll pull up a seat and watch if you dont mind. I'm into my first grow too so I can't give much advice just yet but there are tons of knowledgable people on here!

:cheer:

Looks like a sweet set up.I'm doing DWC for the first time too.Gotta kinda watch them because once the roots connect with the water they grow pretty fast. I guess u are going to do some training to them.I was unsure about doing HST but it seems to me that it works ok. Still alive.Here is a couple of pics of my grow. The girls are 48 days old.Good luck,lots of help on this site.
Grow_room_0023.JPG
petes_pic_009.JPG
petes_pic_004.JPG

Hi guys,

So an update here.

I ran the box for a while and I noticed the temps where high. I started removing everything I could from the interior of the box. I was able to drop the temps but not enough.

IMG_64813.jpg

The temp was at 90-92 with the 4 bulbs on. I put a 80mm extraction fan on the top right to see if that would help. It did not help much.

IMG_64775.jpg

I ended testing during the night, by up turning off 3 lights and keeping 1 and the temps and it dropped to 84-86. However each time I add a bulb the temp goes up 2 F more less.

After that today I went ahead and removed the 4 spot lights and placed a power strip with 3 bulbs directly attached to it. I also added another exhaust fan. The combination of these seemed to make it a little better and temps are currently at 85F - 86F . Oh and I put the fan on the ceiling facing the bulbs. ( i could also change this fan for a bigger one I guess.

IMG_64905.JPG

I added a forth bulb and temp went to 89F.

I need to change one of the fans because I got one from an old power supply and it is very loud! I think I can still work something out with the exhaust fans because they are 90mm

On the tech side I hooked up my old iPhone inside and im streaming through Presence so I can monitor the temp.

Screen_Shot_2015-08-05_at_6_00_59_PM.png

Do you guys know if I change my bulbs I can control heat better? Getting kind frustrated but still having fun building this thing.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Are you referring to me? [ Pete2 ] Or the person that started this thread

Back
Top Bottom