First Harvest Storage Jar Questions

Congrats on your harvest! What kind storage/jars did you get?

Most of mine is in regular, not wide mouth jars, with a Boveda pack. They work just fine.

I use the 32 oz wide-mouth. You can pick them up at a lot of places. Fill them 3/4 full for curing . Let the plants air dry till the small stems snap and then put into jars. Everyday give the jar a light shake on it's side and if the buds stick togethor they need to be burped. I know there's people on this site that have it down to a science on drying and curing ( not burping) but I can't justify having my buds mold and ruin a crop. It's a little more time consuming but I know they are dried and cured properly. After they are fully cured I put them in larger jars for storage

If everyone that orders a flat of ball jars is put on a list that's a big ass list. I get what you're saying I was reluctant to purchase anything directly relatable to indoor gardening online until it went legal in our state. I still ended up ordering lights. But even without that the purchases are innocuous enough and have a plethora of other uses especially when it comes to storage stuff like jars or even hygrometers for that matter.

I would just say that you can buy jars in a lot of stores. Dollar General, target, K Mart, just about any place that sells home goods. There's no need to order them.

Ball releases a new colored canning jar as part of a collection each year. This year they are amber, which with its uv filtering is great for storing weed. They've gotten really difficult to find now, here in my legal state, but I was still able to find enough for my needs online.

I hang dry in a 60 rh room for 13 or 14 days and then go straight into jars. I do burp occasionally, but I'm not sure it's even necessary. My hygrometer usually show it selling in around 60 at that dry time/humidity combo. I'll toss a Boveda in for a day or two if there needs to be any adjustment.

Have you thought of using Tupperware?
image.jpg

much easier access I think,
image.jpg

Cut these down last Friday still drying .

image.jpg

image.jpg

I personally like my jars....
The gallon tops just pull of, not twist.
99A62FDD-6360-4682-ADDD-CD6CED2D1B63.jpeg

The one thing I don’t like about jars is reaching my hand in one to get a bowl. I am loving my Tupperware for now lol I like how it makes lil weed cakes. Although Tupperware probably doesn’t have the best seal around, haven’t used it to store weed till now. But it’s working great for me so far. I like how you can fit Large spears in them. :) but anywho, time for another bowl lol

The one thing I don’t like about jars is reaching my hand in one to get a bowl. I am loving my Tupperware for now lol I like how it makes lil weed cakes. Although Tupperware probably doesn’t have the best seal around, haven’t used it to store weed till now. But it’s working great for me so far. I like how you can fit Large spears in them. :) but anywho, time for another bowl lol
Lol. Yeah the 64’s suck... that’s why I snagged the gallons. Still a tight fit, but works.
Space is another pain. They don’t stack nicely. They have short/wide half gallons with the old school snap lids.
They need to invent something that holds a boveta, has a Gauge on top in the lid, and has a coating on the inside that doesn’t allow trics to stick. Lol.

Hmm, a surface that tricks don’t stick I’m liking the sound of that. I’m the right amount of high to go lazily search the inter webs. Might I suggest you try giving Tupperware ware a go, who knows, you might be GLAD you did XD

How well are they drying in Tupperware. I would think that there is not much air flow over and around the green stuff except for when you take the lid off and spread them out. Using the Tupperware after drying should be OK for storage most of the time.

We used Tupper a couple of times in college. It never seems to seal as well as glass jars do. Everything always ended up really dry in a week or two. Of course this was more than a few years ago and lots of things have changed since then.

As far as commercially available storage containers that have room for humidity packs and wipe out easily they have Cvaults but they aren't cheap.

I know what you mean about reaching in. If I cannot reach down I dump a little bit onto a tray and proceed from there. Roll up what I want and dump the rest back into the jar. Once the level drops low enough I transfer the rest to the next size smaller jar. Eventually I am down to the size of a jelly jar.

There are different sizes of jars shown in one of the photos I posted earlier in the thread.

We used Tupper a couple of times in college. It never seems to seal as well as glass jars do. Everything always ended up really dry in a week or two. Of course this was more than a few years ago and lots of things have changed since then.

As far as commercially available storage containers that have room for humidity packs and wipe out easily they have Cvaults but they aren't cheap.
I was under the impression that he is drying in the Tupperware. Storing could become a problem because the seal is not the best. But drying is usually done where there can be a reasonable amount of air exchange which is why some recommendations are to hang from strings across a room or a box or putting in a paper bag or a box.

As for wiping out easily, whenever I have emptied out a jar I just put it in the sink and the next morning it has been washed and ready to be used again, either for bud storage or to can vegetables or to store some other food.

Back
Top Bottom