First Indoor Grow, WW & NL Autos

IMG_0040.JPG

Off today and so why not not check out early morning bass fishing? Since I'm up, here's an update.

June 22: Day 17 since the seeds popped above soil. Tomorrow will be a watering day.

June 23: The difference in size and speed of growth between Tessa and Wendy is amazing. I'm still seeing some leaf curling on Wendy. In pictures it looks like the leaves are drying out out, but they aren't. Whatever is causing this surely isn't slowing growth. Wendy, while germinated and planted at the same time, and received the exact same conditions, is now nearly three times the size of Tessa. Tessa looks great and she seems unaffected by whatever issue is causing Wendy's leaf curl... but she's smaller than she should be at this point.

1.jpg

Watered today. Wendy: Water in pH 6.3 in. Runoff was pH 6.5. Tessa: Water in pH 6.4 in, pH 6.9 out. Unsure why the disparity in pH runoff measurement between the two although I might have made minor variations in the percentages of soil I used which could account for this.

I'm sort of surprised I haven't seen any gnats flying around in my grow room. I expected some from the FFOF, Happy Frog and Kind Soil I used. None yet, but I've got gnat stick strips on hand if needed. Now that I mentioned gnats, of course, I'm sure they'll show up.

June 24: Decided to place Tessa and Wendy under the ViparSpectra 700 a few days earlier than initially planned. VS recommended 22-28 inches which seems unnecessarily high. These plants got a LOT of CFL lux (53,000 – 60,000 measured) from the start. I placed the VS 700 LED light at 20 inches. Light cycle: 20 hours on, 4 hours off. Spectrum: As per ViparSpectra recommendations: White 80%, Blue: 80%, Red: 30%. Will increase White and Blue to 100% over a few days, and slowly lower the light – trying to avoid light burn. Shame there isn't something like a lux meter for use with LEDs, at least not one I'm aware of.

More later today...

I've read the guidelines on how to document a Grow Journal. Not entirely sure how to begin, so I'll just jump in. Did several outdoor grows in Hawaii LONG ago. Never tried indoor.

First off, I wish I started this journal even from the point of planting the seeds after they germed. I caused myself some problems even during the planting of the seeds in my soil. I'll be keeping a log of my mistakes.

Here are the basics...

Talented Ten 2018 Grow Journal (#1)

Plan:
No (little) added nutrient indoor grow. I'm growing in a hot southwestern desert so I can't suck in 10-15% RH, 110+ degree fresh air from outside. Even in my house the RH is often only 20% so I've added a humidifier to the tent.
One White Widow auto-flower (40% Indica / 60% Sativa / 10% Ruderalis)
One Northern Lights auto-flower (70% Indica / 20% Sativa / 10% Ruderalis)
Growing medium:
Fox Farms Ocean Forest 60%, Fox Farms Happy Frog 20% and perlite 20%. This is over a bed of Kind Soil that had two Solo cup's worth of perlite added covering the bottom third to half of the 5 gallon smart bag.
Equipment:
3' X 3' X 6' grow tent
5 gallon smart bags on rack above water runoff pans
Dr. Meter lux meter
4 23 watt Phillips (claimed "100watt equivalent" for each bulb), 6500 K, CFLs 2-2.5” above both seedlings providing 40,000 measured lux - transitioning to ViparSpectra PAR 700 in week 3
Soil pH/Moisture meter
Light Schedule:
21 hour lights on schedule for these autos in the theory that all living things need some "down time".

*****************************************************************************************************

June 1: Floated a seed of WW (“Tessa”... as in Tessa Fowler), and a seed of NL (“Wendy”... as in Wendy Fiore) on a seed germination warming pad in shot glasses, tap water filtered by Zero One water filter, 0% TDS, pH 6.5, temperature 87 degrees F.

June 2: After 18 hours, both seeds had cracked and a tap root was evident. Placed seeds in between two sheets of thick paper towels, inside sandwich Tupperware containers, moistened liberally, locked down the securing handles and placed on top of seed germination warming pad in darkness.

June 4: Both seeds have ½ to ¾ inch long tap roots. Planted both seeds 1/3rd of an inch deep. Watered both smart pots, water in pH 6.7, runoff pH 6.7.

June 6: Both seeds popped above soil surface.

June 8: Watered.

June 11: The inner seed membrane is preventing the cotyledon leaves from opening on both seedlings. Must not have planted deep enough. Misted both several times. No dice. Decided to take a chance and manually remove the membrane with a fine tweezers after spraying them down. They wouldn't survive if I didn't. Got the membrane off both Tessa and Wendy without too much trouble. Will wait to see if things go okay. Watered.

Wendy
Seedling1.jpg

Wendy
Seedling3.png

Tessa
Seedling4.jpg

June 12: No serious apparent problems from membrane removal.
Tessa
Seedling5.jpg

Wendy (first leaf is a little twisted showing the death grip the membrane had).
Seedling6.jpg

June 13: No serious apparent problems from membrane removal.

June 15: Watered. PH in: 6.5 pH out:7.4 I'll have to adjust pH of ingoing water to get the runoff at/below pH7. As most new indoor growers do, I'm convinced I've been overwatering a bit using 30-40cc supplemental waterings. I'lll have to adjust accordingly. I've also not been recording when, the amounts of water used or the amount of runoff (shooting for less than 10%. I won't make that mistake again. ALL watering amounts and frequency will be recorded.
Do you have your seedlings in fabric pots?
Those are all that I use.It's hard to over water them when they're in those pots since most of the water will run off.
It also helps the roots to breathe better so root rot is rare.

Off today and so why not not check out early morning bass fishing? Since I'm up, here's an update.

June 22: Day 17 since the seeds popped above soil. Tomorrow will be a watering day.

June 23: The difference in size and speed of growth between Tessa and Wendy is amazing. I'm still seeing some leaf curling on Wendy. In pictures it looks like the leaves are drying out out, but they aren't. Whatever is causing this surely isn't slowing growth. Wendy, while germinated and planted at the same time, and received the exact same conditions, is now nearly three times the size of Tessa. Tessa looks great and she seems unaffected by whatever issue is causing Wendy's leaf curl... but she's smaller than she should be at this point.

IMG_2563_2.jpg

Watered today. Wendy: Water in pH 6.3 in. Runoff was pH 6.5. Tessa: Water in pH 6.4 in, pH 6.9 out. Unsure why the disparity in pH runoff measurement between the two although I might have made minor variations in the percentages of soil I used which could account for this.

I'm sort of surprised I haven't seen any gnats flying around in my grow room. I expected some from the FFOF, Happy Frog and Kind Soil I used. None yet, but I've got gnat stick strips on hand if needed. Now that I mentioned gnats, of course, I'm sure they'll show up.

June 24: Decided to place Tessa and Wendy under the ViparSpectra 700 a few days earlier than initially planned. VS recommended 22-28 inches which seems unnecessarily high. These plants got a LOT of CFL lux (53,000 – 60,000 measured) from the start. I placed the VS 700 LED light at 20 inches. Light cycle: 20 hours on, 4 hours off. Spectrum: As per ViparSpectra recommendations: White 80%, Blue: 80%, Red: 30%. Will increase White and Blue to 100% over a few days, and slowly lower the light – trying to avoid light burn. Shame there isn't something like a lux meter for use with LEDs, at least not one I'm aware of.

More later today...
Now I see that you have them in fabric pots,good choice.
I have never worried about what my ph run off is.I just ph my water one time from my tap every time I refill my watering jugs and that's all I do.
I have never had a problem with any of my grows by doing it this way.
I think that measuring the ph in run off is a waste of time.

I have never worried about what my ph run off is.I just ph my water one time from my tap every time I refill my watering jugs and that's all I do.
Hey can you add a few updated pics I'm following your grow also. Check out my journal we are around same rate of growth

Wassup there Tsquared.... ?? I see your doing well up in here, just thought I would check in... If I could make a suggestion, add your thread title to your signature... This will allow others to follow you to your journal, if you are making appearances in others... They can just click on it, and BAM... Gets alot more eyes on your shizick.... WORD... Green days and to all

Do you have your seedlings in fabric pots?
Those are all that I use.It's hard to over water them when they're in those pots since most of the water will run off.
It also helps the roots to breathe better so root rot is rare.

My plants are in fabric pots Natureman. I was providing additional watering almost daily in smaller amounts that wouldn't cause runoff. That's a mistake I've learned not to repeat.

June 25: Still seeing the some leaf curl on Wendy. It's not bad and more out of curiosity than apprehension, I did some additional research and came across this YouTube video addressing leaf curl from Green Planet.

I'm not doing anything mentioned in that video because the leaf curl Wendy is experiencing just isn't that significant... and I'm sure as hell not going to cut down the amount of light she's getting while she's growing like a sci-fi “plant monster”, but its good information.

No problem with the conversion to LED. Zero evidence of light burn. I might have used the LEDs from the get-go but both plants were stressed initially and I didn't want to take a chance of stressing them further with leaf/light burn if too close or cause stretching if the LED was too far away. Having used CFLs for the first two weeks was instructive though.

Those four 65K 23 watt (alleged “100 watt equivalent” each), over each of the two plants, provided a huge amount of lux, as verified by the lux meter. I might repeat this “3 week under CFL” process in future grows because it was just so simple, reliable and had virtually no chance of light burn for delicate seedlings while feeding almost as much light as the plants could use. Place the those 4 CFLs a just a bit higher than a measured 2 inches above plants, and you're in the neighborhood of 55,000- 60,000 lux provided. Plenty of 65K light and no downside. In the image below, you multiply the shown number X 100 to obtain the actual lux provided - 56,700 lux in this example. Max plant usable lux, from what I've learned, is about 80,000.
1.jpg

A few " progress" pictures.

Tessa
2.jpg

Wendy
3.jpg

Both, as a size comparison.
4.jpg

Wassup there Tsquared.... ?? I see your doing well up in here, just thought I would check in... If I could make a suggestion, add your thread title to your signature... This will allow others to follow you to your journal, if you are making appearances in others... They can just click on it, and BAM... Gets alot more eyes on your shizick.... WORD... Green days and to all

Good advice MaddHacker. When I figure how to do that, I will.

If I can increase plant health and yield, by even a few percent, by testing, tracking, and adjusting pH in and pH out, I'm willing to do so as it requires such little time and effort.

That said, I entirely understand your position of "let things rock and roll".

For many, myself included, a particular grow isn't a science experiment.... but a means to an end.

If I can increase plant health and yield, by even a few percent, by testing, tracking, and adjusting pH in and pH out, I'm willing to do so as it requires such little time and effort.

..... Hey man sounds like you got a sound plan going on.. I wonder do you work a full time job, or are you retired ish like alot of the people who pay such Extreme Attention.... LOL.. JK...You will find that just as many people, on here anyway, don't give a hoot about the PH... I myself Live in N.E. and my well water is known to have been sought by bottling companies so I don't have a worry for Ph... I did however test it as I am just starting a new perpetual, 6.4 - 6.5 depending on rain... I am fortunate, but even when I lived in the city with guerrilla growing the norm I didn't really do much on the testing.. Nutes and soil composition are from compost piles, and all natural not bought stocks... I hope that more people get into making their own compost at least, so that their general knowledge of how a plant grows naturally will be extended.. I am older and learned from farmers so I get the new age formula help, of course the idea is great bud in the end... Even though I have a Horticulture background, I did figure out what works for me.... You have to do the same, so know that this is by no means any type of argument for either way.. More so it is just a comment to put you at ease ish with the ups and downs that Will come with or without store bought or self made planting ingredients.. Good Job So far and always seek perfection, even though you may never see it... Green days.... and to all

June 26: Tessa and Wendy are loving the ViparSpectra PAR 700 LED light. I've increased the Blue and White spectra to 100% and the Red is now at 50%. The light is currently 19" from the tops of the plants. In the days to come, I'll carefully lower the light by an inch every few days and be prepared to raise the light as the plants grow.

I'm still “chasing RH” to some small extent but not as bad as I was.

A part of the problem is that my AccuRite meters were AccuWrong. I started researching “highly accurate hygrometers” and “cigar humidor hygrometers” and I found the.

These things are dead-on accurate. After I received two of them from Amazon, I placed them one above the other. One varied from the other by never more than 0.5 degree F and RH was always the same. Although calibrated by the factory, these can be can be easily and very quickly user calibrated with either a known accurate hygrometer or with a Boveda calibration pack available from Amazon. The thermometer function is much more accurate than what I was getting from my previous units. These are the only temp/hygros I'll be using from now on. Downside is you have to be careful and ensure no dirt gets into their sensors.

1.jpg

Wendy
2.jpg

June 27: Today is Week 3 since Tessa and Wendy popped their heads out from under soil. Likely tomorrow will be a watering day. Otherwise nothing significant going on but forcing myself to document it on a daily basis.

This grow will be interesting (to me) as autos bud so early... and this is not only my first indoor grow but also my first auto-flowering grow... and my first soil only – no added nutrient grow.

Back
Top Bottom