First Time Grow

I am so excited about the growth I have had in the last 3 days.. they are really taking off like crazy. very very happy. Ty everyone for all your help thus far.. im sure Id have 2 little brown dead stems if it wasnt for you guys :)

Currently been running 18/6 lighting for 21 days... when is a good time to start switching to 12/12 and what are the benefits of this..here is my understanding which may be incorrect. 12/12 is for flowering... so the longer I run 18/6 the better my veg will benefit and the larger I can get my plant before I flower it??

I may be completely wrong..

Currently been running 18/6 lighting for 21 days... when is a good time to start switching to 12/12 and what are the benefits of this..here is my understanding which may be incorrect. 12/12 is for flowering... so the longer I run 18/6 the better my veg will benefit and the larger I can get my plant before I flower it??

I may be completely wrong..

Hey Mardo you're completely right. Keep in mind your plants will double or triple in size when you switch the lights.

Guys like DocBud have gotten great yields running nothing but 12/12. I've been vegging for about a month and I'm ready to flip the lights. Depends on how big you want them to get, how much room you have etc.

Yeah, count on them at least doubling in height after switching to 12/12. Maybe you could give us a little more info on the lighting. The first post you said you have 10 veg cfls and 10 flower at 150w? is that true wattage or equivalent to? The pic in a follow up looked like it had some 23w cfls. Maybe clarify the true watt per bulb (at least for me) because that will be among the critical points to determine how big you want them. If you are not using the 6400k to start another batch before these are done, you could potentially use the 10 2700k AND 6 6400k giving you 60% more lumens and advantageous mixed spectrum lighting for the girls. Maybe you already thought of that, but figured I'd throw it out there. But yeah, whats the true watts of the bulbs?

I was going to wait until the weekend to post pics but Iam so excited about how my girls are looking.

DSCF4385.jpg

DSCF4386.jpg

DSCF4387.jpg

DSCF4389.jpg

DSCF4391.jpg

DSCF4392.jpg

Oh, and to answer your question Van Diesel I have 10 6500k 42 watt CFL and 10 2700 42 watt CFL...currently only I only have the 6500K's installed

I haven't thought about combos.. to tell the truth this is all very new territory for me as my first attempt i killed early on with nuts and this is as far as I have ever gotten so I have never experienced a gearing up to or treating a flower stage

I have read alot but still flying by the seat of me pants!!

There's a lot to be said about mixed spectrums. I am currently venturing into that territory for the first time. I am running about 75% 6500K to 25% 2700K right now, and will switch to the opposite ratio for flowering. So far, I am not seeing any out of control stretching. It's really interesting, and I have seen a lot of good grows with a more well rounded spectrum of light available.

It's definitely worth considering.

I bought 2 48" florescent fixtures and installed "plant" florescent tubes.. When the plants got a bit bigger I was going to turn them on either side. they appear to be red spectrum. It was just an experimental thought when i bought them

Wow, those are looking great. Almost plastic or fake in their perfection. Can't complain about that!

Looks about time to top or fim. You going to do it?

Akasa, This is where im going to need some help. lm very nervous about doing something wrong..maybe open some dialog and how exactly i should do it.

So should I top my plant? when? and how?

I'm down for a discussion about that, I'll be back in a little bit with as short a list as I can manage of things to consider before deciding if/when/how.

MadMardo

Props on a good start to your first grow. Dont be to stressed about your little girl as everyone has said, their resilient little buggers. I have 1 going with the exact same date as you i think (theres a journal on here for it to), mine sprouted on the 20th of october. And it is also under similar wattages of lights so ill be following your thread closely because im sure topics will come up here that will be relevant to mine. Im also keen to hear what akasa and Van Diesal have got to say about topping / fimming.

Again :welldone: your doing great.

Rather than to try to get too far into it with a single post, I'll start with this. Do not be deceived by the frequency that LST or any other form of "supercropping" that you see on journals. Among the factors of IF LST or other supercropping methods are going to be advantageous to you on this grow, one of the the most important is that not all strains will produce more bud using LST/supercropping, and even if it will it absolutley requires an increased veg time to make effective. There are more variables than most ppl consider before jumping into LST and stuff, but really first and foremost is strain (next probably is lighting). Do you know this strain produces better considering all variables manipulated or left to do their thing. If you dont know and cant find the answer, and you want to stay at this a bit, use your two plants as the start of experimenting, leave one and top one, try to keep everything else the same, and see which does better. This is proactive and actually pretty fun. I do this with every batch, and actually so far with my strain the ones left un-topped have averaged ~20% higher. This is probably very particular not only to my strain, but my lighting and maybe even my grow medium and methods effecting the plants life pre-flower (like in order to take advantage of LST or other supercropping you have to incur extra weeks of veg to bring out the extra branches/nodes you want to flower). So all in all I guess the most correct response I can think of is that you have asked the right question, but you may be the only one that can really figure out the answer. Doesn't that kinda suck...lol! Maybe not if you can be patient and just let them do their thing with less effort in training and think they might be better than if you hassle them, then again maybe it sucks if you really need to feel proactive and force their productivity. OK, I know this is kinda long and ambiguous, but if you want to explore further, theres still lots to talk about as far as how to facilitate either the LST or natural using the lighting you have (with maybe adding a few sockets and/or cords). I'm willing as are hopefully others to continue the discussion, but in my opinion its all aimed at helping you figure out how to determine the answer rather than anyone being able to actually answer it.

Back
Top Bottom