First time

amber420p

420 Member
hello, this is my first attempt at growing by myself... I found a seed in my weed and germinated, then put it in soil in a small mason jar, under one of my LED lamps I use for makeup. I’m surprised it’s going well so far, however I’m not sure when to transplant her, or the next step. I don’t want to spend money on it really; it was just a whim, she’s doing well under the makeup light right now.

Attachments

• 087F7AE1-9D9D-451A-B860-0996825AEE7D.jpeg
    087F7AE1-9D9D-451A-B860-0996825AEE7D.jpeg
    612.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 631A5B35-6C34-4D04-94A0-7E8514314242.jpeg
    631A5B35-6C34-4D04-94A0-7E8514314242.jpeg
    960.2 KB · Views: 46
  • E9EFAC22-5F78-490C-8A97-370C9B84A8DF.jpeg
    E9EFAC22-5F78-490C-8A97-370C9B84A8DF.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 43
Helloooo!

this is my first attempt at growing by myself, I found a seed in my one of my bags of weed and germinated it, then put it in soil in a small mason jar until I get a solo cup or a pot with drainage tomorrow, shes under one of my LED lamps I use for makeup... I’m surprised it’s going well so far, however I’m not sure what the next step is after I move her to a pot with drainage tomorrow..

I also don’t want to spend money on it really if it really isn’t needed, it was just a whim, I’ve seen and been side on when people have done crops by themselves.. I just need a bit of guidance.
Putting it in your window sill is a good idea if you’re able to, but you need a stronger light source.
Or grow it outside if possible.

Helloooo!

this is my first attempt at growing by myself, I found a seed in my one of my bags of weed and germinated it, then put it in soil in a small mason jar until I get a solo cup or a pot with drainage tomorrow, shes under one of my LED lamps I use for makeup... I’m surprised it’s going well so far, however I’m not sure what the next step is after I move her to a pot with drainage tomorrow..

I also don’t want to spend money on it really if it really isn’t needed, it was just a whim, I’ve seen and been side on when people have done crops by themselves.. I just need a bit of guidance.
Definitely don’t water it anymore until you can transplant into a container with drainage. Can you grow outside or nah? I don’t think you can get any better or cheaper than the sun.

:welcome: You will need a basic grow light at the bare minimum. Unless you are planning on putting it outside. What strain is it
Im unsure of the strain as this person didn’t label the bags this time. But I’ll look into a better light, this is the new picture from today .

Attachments

• 55669E66-F36C-4AFA-8671-8478DA67F9BC.jpeg
    55669E66-F36C-4AFA-8671-8478DA67F9BC.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 37
Definitely don’t water it anymore until you can transplant into a container with drainage. Can you grow outside or nah? I don’t think you can get any better or cheaper than the sun.
No the weather is shit here and unpredictable, I also live in an apartment

Attachments

• 2EE9E40F-EC1E-4F6E-9C71-D0CE31E2C28B.jpeg
    2EE9E40F-EC1E-4F6E-9C71-D0CE31E2C28B.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 34
No the weather is shit here and unpredictable, I also live in an apartment
In that case, you can get relatively inexpensive (like $50) LED lamps online that will work well enough for vegetative growth, though I’ve never tried flowering under them — I just use them to start out before transplanting outdoors.

I’ve done a little bit of indoor growing and found that one investment usually leads to another. A decent LED has you looking for a tent to ensure proper photoperiod without light leaks. Then once you have a tent, you realize you need a decent fan and so on. If you start enjoying the hobby, though, it’s a good investment.

For now, though, maybe just get an LED with a decent amount of lumens and grow it as a houseplant. See if you get more invested as the plant gets bigger.

Who knows, it could turn out to have male preflowers and then won’t be worth any serious investment anyway!

In that case, you can get relatively inexpensive (like $50) LED lamps online that will work well enough for vegetative growth, though I’ve never tried flowering under them — I just use them to start out before transplanting outdoors.

I’ve done a little bit of indoor growing and found that one investment usually leads to another. A decent LED has you looking for a tent to ensure proper photoperiod without light leaks. Then once you have a tent, you realize you need a decent fan and so on. If you start enjoying the hobby, though, it’s a good investment.

For now, though, maybe just get an LED with a decent amount of lumens and grow it as a houseplant. See if you get more invested as the plant gets bigger.

Who knows, it could turn out to have male preflowers and then won’t be worth any serious investment anyway!

I’d rather grow outside but I’m in an apartment, also the weather is unpredictable daily here.. I am interested in keeping her growing as its
Going really well so far just from a whim? and seeing where it goes... I’ll get another Light For her, but I don’t want a bunch of other stuff if I can just grow her as a House plant Under a light.. I’m not sure how well this
Will all turn out but I’ve seen people hands on do crops from start to finish and I’m doing better then they were at the start...

Attachments

• 4648E838-8484-4231-9E8C-3A7A8067749F.jpeg
    4648E838-8484-4231-9E8C-3A7A8067749F.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 40
I’d rather grow outside but I’m in an apartment, also the weather is unpredictable daily here.. I am interested in keeping her growing as its
Going really well so far just from a whim? and seeing where it goes... I’ll get another Light For her, but I don’t want a bunch of other stuff if I can just grow her as a House plant Under a light.. I’m not sure how well this
Will all turn out but I’ve seen people hands on do crops from start to finish and I’m doing better then they were at the start...
Yeah, you can probably even keep it under that light for a while until it gets too big — unless you’re needing the light for makeup right away. Be very, VERY careful watering because without drainage holes in that container, the plant can easily rot or get stunted.

Trust me, I overwatered numerous plants this year and had to toss them. In fact, you should hold off on watering at until you see the soil drying out a lot. If you have access to a drill, then very carefully drill a few holes in the bottom of that container. Or transplant to another one with drainage when you can.

While it’s certainly possible for you to grow it as a houseplant for fun, getting it to flower will be trickier unless you’ve got a closet where you can keep it totally dark for 12 hours a night for a couple months. A closet’s cheaper than a grow tent, but then you gotta find a place to store the stuff you’ve already got in it!

I’ve surprisingly turned off the light a couple times.. for like 5 hours or so.. while I sleep and I wake up and she still kicking it and doing great and then I turn it on again. I’ve never seen a weed plant grow that good or fast... just from a small light, and a little water..

I’m transplanting her tomorrow into a solo cup? So I’ll have drainage then.. I’m just worried about Over watering in general, I’ve given her a few decent drops every now and then.

I have a closet I could move it to when I want it to flower... I just am not that down to spend much money on it if I can get away with it, it’s my first time and I just want to learn and go from there without investing to much at first until I figure out if I want to continue on further after.

ive also have another makeup light quiet similar would two lights onher be too much right now?

I’ve surprisingly turned off the light a couple times.. for like 5 hours or so.. while I sleep and I wake up and she still kicking it and doing great and then I turn it on again. I’ve never seen a weed plant grow that good or fast... just from a small light, and a little water..

I’m transplanting her tomorrow into a solo cup? So I’ll have drainage then.. I’m just worried about Over watering in general, I’ve given her a few decent drops every now and then.

I have a closet I could move it to when I want it to flower... I just am not that down to spend much money on it if I can get away with it, it’s my first time and I just want to learn and go from there without investing to much at first until I figure out if I want to continue on further after.

ive also have another makeup light quiet similar would two lights onher be too much right now?
Nah, that should be fine. I’ve had pretty good luck with this type of non-fancy LED. I’ve used three LED light bulbs screwed into regular desk lamps and my plants grew like champs until it was time to plant them out. Just be careful when you transplant to another container to avoid disrupting the roots as much as possible. They are pretty resilient plants, though, and fun to grow! Be sure to keep us updated as to how your first grow operation progresses.

hello, this is my first attempt at growing by myself... I found a seed in my weed and germinated, then put it in soil in a small mason jar, under one of my LED lamps I use for makeup. I’m surprised it’s going well so far, however I’m not sure when to transplant her, or the next step. I don’t want to spend money on it really; it was just a whim, she’s doing well under the makeup light right now.

Hi, update... I transplanted her into a solo cup with drainage in the bottom today.. however I feel stupid the soil wasn’t completely dry from the jar and I was worried she would die in there if she was kept there any longer... so when I was transplanting her... the soil fell apart... I managed to be gentle and place her in the cup and cover with soil... that was 4 hours ago.. and she seems to still be kicking it.. so I’m not sure?

Now what do i do?

Attachments

• BCAF33F6-B6DA-4DD8-ADC1-4D006A6F7DA3.jpeg
    BCAF33F6-B6DA-4DD8-ADC1-4D006A6F7DA3.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 3FB05E57-88A7-4CC1-B1CB-7B28B785B70B.jpeg
    3FB05E57-88A7-4CC1-B1CB-7B28B785B70B.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 43
Hi, update... I transplanted her into a solo cup with drainage in the bottom today.. however I feel stupid the soil wasn’t completely dry from the jar and I was worried she would die in there if she was kept there any longer... so when I was transplanting her... the soil fell apart... I managed to be gentle and place her in the cup and cover with soil... that was 4 hours ago.. and she seems to still be kicking it.. so I’m not sure?

Now what do i do?
As long as the leaves stay nice and perky like that, you’ve had a successful transplant. Now just let nature take its course — keep it under your lamp, water sparingly and watch it grow. That cup should suffice as a container until it gets quite a bit bigger.

I transplanted Tuesday, nothing was happening so I gave her a large shot glass of water today (Saturday) she grew a little as the leafs seem bigger and she’s slightly not much but a bit taller.. . the first two pictures are today and the other are Tuesday.. I’m unsure how much water and when I should be giving her water... and if I need a better light if that’s why she’s not growing or doing anything

Attachments

• DC2BCDC6-A2ED-4207-AD7A-67E8879209E9.jpeg
    DC2BCDC6-A2ED-4207-AD7A-67E8879209E9.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 3B391D6F-D554-48A3-B0FA-C4A9AAF8EAD0.jpeg
    3B391D6F-D554-48A3-B0FA-C4A9AAF8EAD0.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 76C685BE-16C7-41BB-949E-7F85ED9FEBC0.jpeg
    76C685BE-16C7-41BB-949E-7F85ED9FEBC0.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 36
  • 6F0958FE-D16C-481D-B9D5-F652DF38EF50.jpeg
    6F0958FE-D16C-481D-B9D5-F652DF38EF50.jpeg
    859.3 KB · Views: 40
I transplanted Tuesday, nothing was happening so I gave her a large shot glass of water today (Saturday) she grew a little as the leafs seem bigger and she’s slightly not much but a bit taller.. . the first two pictures are today and the other are Tuesday.. I’m unsure how much water and when I should be giving her water... and if I need a better light if that’s why she’s not growing or doing anything
The plant looks good, as the leaves are green and perky. There’s nothing to worry about. Plant growth takes time and you’re not going to notice major changes from hour to hour or day to day, but if you look at this picture a week from now and compare it with your plant, you’ll see it’s grown.

Look at the first photo you posted less than a week ago — it barely had any true leaves (the serrated ones) and only had tiny cotyledons (the round leaves that emerge from the seed.) Now, the true leaves are bigger than the cotyledons.

You definitely don’t want to overwater, as that will stunt the plant. Trust me, I’ve done this myself — even though I was trying to avoid it. Generally let the soil dry out pretty thoroughly before watering again. Not so long that the plant is wilted, but definitely not every day or even every other day.

The light you’ve got it under is probably fine for now. Once it gets bigger, you might want to put it under another one as well or buy a larger LED.

Like the old saying goes, a watched pot never boils. Better not to watch and mess with it too much. I’d stick it on a timer from about 6 am until midnight, a solid 18 hours of grow time per day. Other than that, just leave it alone and you’ll be surprised at how quickly it grows.

The plant looks good, as the leaves are green and perky. There’s nothing to worry about. Plant growth takes time and you’re not going to notice major changes from hour to hour or day to day, but if you look at this picture a week from now and compare it with your plant, you’ll see it’s grown.

Look at the first photo you posted less than a week ago — it barely had any true leaves (the serrated ones) and only had tiny cotyledons (the round leaves that emerge from the seed.) Now, the true leaves are bigger than the cotyledons.

You definitely don’t want to overwater, as that will stunt the plant. Trust me, I’ve done this myself — even though I was trying to avoid it. Generally let the soil dry out pretty thoroughly before watering again. Not so long that the plant is wilted, but definitely not every day or even every other day.

The light you’ve got it under is probably fine for now. Once it gets bigger, you might want to put it under another one as well or buy a larger LED.

Like the old saying goes, a watched pot never boils. Better not to watch and mess with it too much. I’d stick it on a timer from about 6 am until midnight, a solid 18 hours of grow time per day. Other than that, just leave it alone and you’ll be surprised at how quickly it grows.

Thank you! Just being impatient I guess because she grew so fast the first week until I moved her to the cup, so it worried me but she still looks healthy so I was just curious what I should be doing but you covered everything pretty good!

So just to give you an idea of how things will look if all goes more or less ok, here is one of my plants a month ago, shortly after it sprouted:
DFF9F513-44A1-4982-AA66-F5C95A813C2B.jpeg

Then this is how it looked a couple weeks ago:

D89809E6-35C5-4140-BD42-EA3EA7CEE1FD.jpeg

And this is what it looks like now:
C616CBC1-C780-4E98-A6CE-106EDD8C1A70.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom