FirstGrow - Miss Northern Lights

VtecHoe

What strain is it - Northern Lights
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages - Indica i think?
Is it in Veg or Flower stage - Week 4 in Veg
Indoor or outdoor - Indoor
Soil or Hydro - Soil
If soil... what is in your mix - Soil/Bat Gauno
If soil... What size pot - Repotted yesterday into a 5 litre pot
Size of light - 125w CFL Blue Spectrum
Is it aircooled - 1 Fan
Temp of Room/cab - 85f, 33-35 celcius
Any Pests - None yet
How often are you watering - When the top of the soil is dry, also spray the leafs with a bottle of ph perfect water just to keep her moist
---------------------------------------------------------------

I started off buying my seeds, I had 2 cheese and 2 northern lights, my cheese ones worked but then drooped and died, other nl sprouted and stopped, and im left with this baby, she is 4 weeks in veg, only thing im worried about is

1) Shes been repotted and seems a bit stressed
2) Small yellow tips on lower down leafs, not big tips, really small, guess to much nutes so going back to no nutes for now to see if it gets worse or goes away

imag0025zc.jpg

imag0029pno.jpg

Some Pics From Today:

imag0030qx.jpg

imag0031y.jpg

imag0032qx.jpg

imag0034m.jpg

^ Mad nute stuff from the dam, still dont know what its called lol

:morenutes:

Re: FirstGrow / Miss Northern Lights

I was putting a capfull in with my watering can and just watering as normal, i was being a bit of a noob at the start and watering it everyday :x

Its not had any nutes for 3 days now, it was growing fine without them as the water here is lime green on the pH tester which is perfect i think

Thanks for your reply gg :cheer:

Edit:

I was informed i could try get my plant closer to the light if i wanted so ive got it propped on big wide books with dvd cases on top, should i try get it closer or will it be fine?
imag0037ls.jpg

imag0035dz.jpg

If your using High Intensity lights, the plants should be about 18" away. With CFL bublbs you can get pretty close. I would suspect then 6' - 12" would be fine. The main problem is heat.

I would try to move the light 12" away for a couple of days. If your gal looks fine, you can try moving it a little bit closer.

Even though I just said that you should keep High Intensity lights further away, I keep my MH bulb between 6" - 12" away and my plants are doiung fine. I mention this to show that our favorite crop can handle a LOT of light!

As far as watering goes, let the pot dry out a bit until it starts feeling light. This will allow oxygen to reach the roots. Then give them a good soaking. Don't worry about overwatering. Sometimes my plants will leak out the bottom. That's OK. In other words, let them dry out between waterings , then soak them.

As far as fertilization goes, leave at LEAST four days between fertilization. On my first couple of crops, I fertilized my plants every other day. I thought they would grow better or faster, but this isn't right.

I just fertlized my plants and it's been a week (that's right, seven days!). When they were in veg, I only fertilized once a week and they were the healthiest plants I have ever had.

Thank you grant for the help so far, I now have it 10'' away from the light and it's perfect, isnt burning and she seems to like it... Im still a bit worried about my tips going yellow, cant really get a good photo as its only the very tips doing it, some further up the plant now :(

IMAG00296.JPG

Still looks great. I'm sure moving the plant closer to the light has done wonders for her spirit.

I looked at yor picture pretty carefully and can't see the yellow tips you're worried about. Must be pretty small. If it was an overfert problem, it will take a few days to resolve. Keep an eye on it and see if it gets much worse. If it gets really bad, you can always flush the plant.

However, these plants are very forgiving. Remember they are weeds, not African Violets! On my last grow, I was so neglectful that my plants were doing awful, all kinds of deficiencies, brown crumbling leaves, the works. Once I decided to fix things up, the ladies snapped right back.

ggrant said:
If your using High Intensity lights, the plants should be about 18" away. With CFL bublbs you can get pretty close. I would suspect then 6' - 12" would be fine. The main problem is heat.

I would try to move the light 12" away for a couple of days. If your gal looks fine, you can try moving it a little bit closer.

Even though I just said that you should keep High Intensity lights further away, I keep my MH bulb between 6" - 12" away and my plants are doiung fine. I mention this to show that our favorite crop can handle a LOT of light!

As far as watering goes, let the pot dry out a bit until it starts feeling light. This will allow oxygen to reach the roots. Then give them a good soaking. Don't worry about overwatering. Sometimes my plants will leak out the bottom. That's OK. In other words, let them dry out between waterings , then soak them.

As far as fertilization goes, leave at LEAST four days between fertilization. On my first couple of crops, I fertilized my plants every other day. I thought they would grow better or faster, but this isn't right.

I just fertlized my plants and it's been a week (that's right, seven days!). When they were in veg, I only fertilized once a week and they were the healthiest plants I have ever had.

6-12 inches away for a CFL? Had mine 2 inches away at all times. No damage to leaves, and no stretching. CFLs lose lumens extremely quickly with distance. A CFL at 12 inches is really not going to do much of anything I wouldn't think. I keep my HPS about 10 inches away with no troubles!

420farmer, Mine is 12'' away from the cfl in a 3 foot by 4 foot closet, all painted white lol and its going alright so far :cheer:

GG, Thanks again for commenting, going to try leaving her to it for 24-48 hours without watering then flush it with just water

Its just turned 4 weeks and 2 days, Noticed a few more yellow tips appearing all around the plant

Cant get any better photos as they are very small yellow tips,

IMAG00357.JPG

IMAG00343.JPG

Hey Man,

The amount of yellow on the tips is really minimal. It is not unusual for this to happen to the lower leaves as they get older. You'll find that these lower leaves will start to turn yellow and eventually die.

I wouldn't panic and start flushing unless it gets a lot worse.

I'm curious about a few other things. I saw the bottle of nutrients that you had. Couldn't figure out what it was. Do you know what the relative concentrations of N-P-K are (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium)? Ideally, you should have at least two types of nutrients, one for vegetation and one for blooming (flowering). The former is higher in Nitrogen, which promotes leaf development and the latter is higher in Phosphorus and Potassium, which promote flowering.

As well, and this is very beneficial, you should get some Blackstrap Molasses, which besides having sugar to give energy to the plants, also has an amazing spectrum of trace minerals. These minerals should help keep your plants from having mineral deficiencies. Blackstrap Molasses is best, but plain old molasses is OK. Whatever you do, do NOT buy any molasses with sulphur in it. It's easy to find blackstrap in bigger grocery stores or health food stores. Use one teaspoon per gallon. You'll be amazed at how perky your plants get after an application of this stuff. Just mix it in with your regular fertilizer.

Also, 420framer is right in that you can practically touch your plants with CFL lights because they give off such little heat. You had gone from such a far distance to where you are now that I didn't bother to mention it.

Finally, what are you using for water, tap water? I see lots of journals say they use runoff water, but unless you have a rain barrel in your backyard, this isn't practical (LOL). What I do is keep several large bottles of water that have been standing at least 24 hours (I have four half gallon bottles that I rotate). This will help remove the chlorine that is in tap water.

Evening grant :morenutes:

That bottle was given to me by a friend, i still dont know what it is to this day, all i got told was a capfull in with my water and water as usual, i didnt know what it was doing so i stopped using it for now

Im using bat gauno in with my soil, i found the NPK values on the bag, this is what it says - HIGH Phosphate Bat Guano NPK 2-15-1, Not sure if this is right, i did mix quite a bit in with my soil this time round, more than i put in the first pot, probally a noob mistake -
BpesUY_BWk_KGrHqQH-CYEu_Is1KZ6BLrlp_0L5w_12.jpg

Thank you for the info on the yellowing but its appearing on new growth as well, but as you said it is very minimal just a bit worried, understandable lol

Tap water, yes, straight from the tap, pH tested it and its lime green on the little paper tester, though my watering can is always left in with the planty for 24 hours everyday

Thanks for helping me along with my journey :thumb:

IMAG003710.JPG

Repotted her as she had overgrown her pot, Next morning noticed this on 1 of the leafs more yellow tips appearing... Not looking to promising for miss NL :(

I think Miss NL will do fine. She looks really healthy to me. I can't see the yellow tips, so they must be small. I know it's hard to get good pics sometimes. See if you can get one highlighting the yellow tips.

Are the yellow tips on the newer leaves? If they're only the the older leaves, I wouldn't worry too much. Also, how much of the leaf is yellow? If it's only the very tip of the leaf, this happens from time to time. If the yellowing spreads to other parts of the leaf, then you need to take corrective action.

I know you're a new grower, but you don't have to worry about "sudden crib death." You won't walk in one morning and find you plant wilted and dead. Remember, these are weeds and will survive unless something dramatic happens, like forgetting to water them.

If you don't mind me babbling on longer, let me tell you about my last grow (3rd one). I ran out of nutrients for the flowering phase, so I started really skimping on nutrients (less than half the recommended amount) and I starting mixing in the vegetative nutrients (also at half strength) to eke out my supply of flowering nutrients (kind of like Hamburge Helper).

Long story short. My plants looked terrible! I had a Potasium deficiency among other things. The leaves were yellow with black blotches and dried out. Finally, I got off my ass and went to my local grow-op store and picked up the nutrients I was missing. I cut off the dead leaves (more like crumbled them off - they were dry as dust and turned to powder when I squeezed them). Then I used the new nutrients and within a week, the plants started looking great. Within two weeks, you couldn't even tell they gad ever had a problem.

Incidentally, it turned out to be my biggest grow.

So, what I'm saying is "don't panic." Your plants can smell fear!

Hey grant,

Thanks for getting back to me, ill stop mothering it so much lol

I took some other pics for you to see what you think?

:Namaste:

IMAG00448.JPG

IMAG00436.JPG

IMAG00429.JPG

God, She looks great.

Those miniscule (and I mean miniscule) yellow tips mean nothing. It's very common on older leaves. I guess it's hard for moisture to make it to the very end of a big leaf and it dries out a little.

I haven't had many yellowed tips on my current grow (maybe that's because I've been trimming all the big fan leaves), but I've sure had my share on other grows.

How old is she?

Have you topped the plant yet? Good for better growth and yield. It doesn't look you have. What is the height of your grow space, by the way? Is it height challenged or do you have lots of space?

Keep up the good work!

Hey grant,

No i havent topped her yet, She is 5 weeks old today :cheer:

Height wise, cupboard is 2 metres tall ive just got it propped on books/dvds to get her close to the light

Ive also got 2 autoflowering kush's on the go with the northern just to fill up my space, germinated last night and potted so see if anything happens in the next few days

Going to have a look through 420 about topping

Thanks again gg your helping me along the way! :thanks: <-- thats me at the end of my crop holding buds lol

VtecHoe,

Here is some info on topping:

Think of it, a scraggly plant that is tall with lots of lower branches that are hard for your light to reach,

OR

Four or more main branches that will grow to be approximately the same height utlilizing light more efficiently.

I wouldn't worry about the fimming unless you want to experiment. It does the same thing as topping, except the part that you cut off (number "2'), doesn't die, it grows into one or more shoots itself.

Hey GG,

Well as of today i topped her, It took me quite a bit of balls to do it since its my first plant but i kind of thought if you fuck it up, you just fim'ed it so hey lol.. Will keep it updated as height wise was a problem for me :(

The autoflower'ing kush's are underway, popped the shell and 2 little fans poking out :)

Got some other cfl's coming so stay tuned

VH

Hey V,

I know it's scary the first time you top a plant. In my first grow, I had let the plants grow fairly tall when my friend who taught me everything told me to top the plant. He showed me what to do and did it himself. He cut off almost half the plant! I was freaked! He told me not to worry.

By the way, every single topping that I have done has worked - 100%. In my current grow, I topped each plant at least 20 times each!

I wanted to turn it into a bush to keep the height down. Check out my journal if you want to see what I mean. Send some pictures when you get a chance. You should see the new shoots growing out in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom