FiveToMidnight's First Grow - Coco/Perlite - NL - MarsHydro 300W LED - 2015

For the first 3-6 days, you want a good amount of air circulation around the buds to crust up the outsides adequately. After this it's good to put them in paper bags or any other form of spacious container for a couple hours so the innards of the buds can sweat some moisture out to the recently dried portions and stabilize the RH in the buds in the process. Once the RH is redistributed, then take them back out into some open air with less circulation, but still some circulation as you'll gradually reduce the amount of air circulation you expose them to the more the buds get dried.

The concept is first to rapidly dry them to get a good amount of moisture out of the buds to prevent molds from forming. Once you're out of those woods, then you want to focus on slowly, but steadily "sweating out" more moisture, but not too quickly as the slower the dry, the better the cure and more flavorful the smoke. Once you get to the point where it takes 12 or so hours to redistribute the inner RH, then it's time for final trim, debranching and into jars for extended curing periods. Ideal RH is 62% and you can find Boveda 62 RH packs to hold constant RH in the jars once the buds are properly cured down to that range. I've never used the Bovedas yet, but have heard too many good things to not pass along the idea.

Practice your drying and curing techniques on the samples.

Thank you for that run down, I also have the YouTube video you copied in a previous post bookmarked to watch again just before I cut it down.
Would it be a good idea to leave the buds to sit in the box with the light on to dry? I was hoping I could leave them in there for the smell factor but don't want to damage them.

Yeah, they'll be fine in your box. I would try to avoid light exposure if possible, but you'll need the odor control for the obvious reason.

Yeah, they'll be fine in your box. I would try to avoid light exposure if possible, but you'll need the odor control for the obvious reason.

Ok cool. Not sure if it will fit with #3 still growing in there but we'll see what I can do. This strain is very low odor so might not be too bad.
Will post pics shortly

Some updated pics for you guys to check out.
#1 has started flush and is 2 days in so far. #3 however seems a bit behind so I am continuing normal Late Bloom feed.

I have noticed that I have what I believe are Spider Mites on #3. I was able to see them moving around when using the digital microscope and after some googling identified them.
Anyone know a good trick to get rid of them quick? Seems foliar sprays are the way to go from what I read and I'm going to give the two local hydro stores a call tomorrow and see what they recommend but I thought I'd see what you guys think.

P1042573.JPG
P1042574.JPG
P1042576.JPG
P1042577.JPG
P1042582.JPG
P1042583.JPG
P1042587.JPG
P1042590.JPG
P1042593.JPG

1-19.jpg

1-27.jpg

1-32.jpg

1-42.jpg

1-6.jpg

1-8.jpg

P1042597.JPG
P1042599.JPG
P1042601.JPG
P1042602.JPG
P1042606.JPG

2-19.jpg

2-27.jpg

2-33.jpg

2-41.jpg

2-6.jpg

Can you see the little brown thing in this one? thats about the best shot I could get. Looks like a spider mite when I google it.

2-51.jpg

Much better bud! I must admit... I thought this grow doomed, but seems you will have some decent smoke for your efforts.

Can't help with the mites unfortunately, as I have no experience with them.

From the trich shots, I would say another 7 - 10 days depending on how you like your buzz. I always harvest slightly early. Remember that your buds will ripen further as they dry.

+ reps bud!

Much better bud! I must admit... I thought this grow doomed, but seems you will have some decent smoke for your efforts.

Can't help with the mites unfortunately, as I have no experience with them.

From the trich shots, I would say another 7 - 10 days depending on how you like your buzz. I always harvest slightly early. Remember that your buds will ripen further as they dry.

+ reps bud!

Thanks mate, appreciate the reps :)
I was thinking the same not too long ago, never would have guessed they would get this far.

I like more of a head high than a body stoned so I was thinking of harvest in about 5-7 due to previous advice and google research

#3 looks about 2 weeks behind #1 in development. I don't have any experience with bugs either, but regardless of the treatment, I'm thinking you're too close to harvest (even with #3) to begin a treatment. That said, I am now borderline insistent that you wash your buds, unless you don't mind smoking mite poop and carcasses.

I'll email the Capn to get his thoughts on your dilemma and see if this can be remedied, then get back to ya.

Good morning, 5, you've been trough a lot, this round and managed to make it work! Mites, however, are trouble. There are all kinds of things they sell to treat them. I've used "Mighty Wash" before with some success, but they are a BITCH to get rid of. If you see them on one, you'll have them on everything in days. My last grow, I found some in one tent on one girl.and it was so far into flower that I chose to chop them early. They will migrate to other parts.of the house if you have more tents going if you're not careful to clean your hands and tools between rooms. (Food for thought).
Get ahold of something with neem oil in it and start treating ASAP.
Personally, based on the tric pics, I'd flush and chop soon.

Keep up the good work!
Andy. :thumb::Namaste:

Sky, can you post that bud - washing post link? I removed myself from the thread and don't remember where I found it.
I did wash that batch that had mites. There were very few mites, but I feel the same way about it.
I left that thread after being berated for growing weed with bugs and then trying to "wash" the troubles away. (It was just one guy and he was really a dick, but I left the conversation after that.)

5, read up.on washing. Doesn't cost much. Takes a little time, but worth it, IMO. I've chosen not to do it to everthing, as it does affect the smell and taste a bit.
Good luck. Andy. :Namaste:

#3 looks about 2 weeks behind #1 in development. I don't have any experience with bugs either, but regardless of the treatment, I'm thinking you're too close to harvest (even with #3) to begin a treatment. That said, I am now borderline insistent that you wash your buds, unless you don't mind smoking mite poop and carcasses.

I'll email the Capn to get his thoughts on your dilemma and see if this can be remedied, then get back to ya.

I was thinking she was about 2 weeks behind too. Strange that, not sure why as they have been treated the same.

You have a good point about the bud washing, might have to look in to it now.

Thanks for that, I'll be seeing the hydro shop people tomorrow too to see what they say.

Good morning, 5, you've been trough a lot, this round and managed to make it work! Mites, however, are trouble. There are all kinds of things they sell to treat them. I've used "Mighty Wash" before with some success, but they are a BITCH to get rid of. If you see them on one, you'll have them on everything in days. My last grow, I found some in one tent on one girl.and it was so far into flower that I chose to chop them early. They will migrate to other parts.of the house if you have more tents going if you're not careful to clean your hands and tools between rooms. (Food for thought).
Get ahold of something with neem oil in it and start treating ASAP.
Personally, based on the tric pics, I'd flush and chop soon.

Keep up the good work!
Andy. :thumb::Namaste:

Lol yeah been on one hell of a ride! But happy we got this far.
I only have this one box so shouldn't have any problems with spreading, but will definitely keep it in mind. Don't want them all through the house, although I'm sure the dog has already brought them in.

I'm already flushing #1, would you suggest flushing #3 this early too?

Sky, can you post that bud - washing post link? I removed myself from the thread and don't remember where I found it.
I did wash that batch that had mites. There were very few mites, but I feel the same way about it.
I left that thread after being berated for growing weed with bugs and then trying to "wash" the troubles away. (It was just one guy and he was really a dick, but I left the conversation after that.)

5, read up.on washing. Doesn't cost much. Takes a little time, but worth it, IMO. I've chosen not to do it to everthing, as it does affect the smell and taste a bit.
Good luck. Andy. :Namaste:

Thanks mate I will. As sky said I don't really want to be smoking mite shit lol

Well, like I said, I would, 5. Left untreated, you girls can go from green to virtually dead and brown in a week. Been there!
They'll get in on anything, 5. Your dog/cat. Moths. Your cloths..... It's hard to say why and where they turn up. I have 2 dogs in the house and live in the country in a cetury house with mice and chipmonks and squirrels and such. I've given up fighting mites. I use a systemic treatment through the whole grow. I wouldn't have had them on that last grow, but I ran short on cash and stopped treating them when I ran out. Big mistake! At 100+ bucks a gallon, it can get expensive.

Well, like I said, I would, 5. Left untreated, you girls can go from green to virtually dead and brown in a week. Been there!
They'll get in on anything, 5. Your dog/cat. Moths. Your cloths..... It's hard to say why and where they turn up. I have 2 dogs in the house and live in the country in a cetury house with mice and chipmonks and squirrels and such. I've given up fighting mites. I use a systemic treatment through the whole grow. I wouldn't have had them on that last grow, but I ran short on cash and stopped treating them when I ran out. Big mistake! At 100+ bucks a gallon, it can get expensive.

Hmmmm this is not good news. What if I were to get something tomorrow to treat them? Or does treatment take too long?
Maybe I should start flushing #3 tomorrow then.

Are they a problem if you don't have plants? Like do I now need an exterminator to come through the house or do they only matter to plants?

Maybe I should look at something to keep them out for next grow? $100 is a bit pricey for me, would you have anything else you could suggest? Do normal pest control methods work or do they need to be cannabis/coco specific?

About all the sprays I've read up on say it may take 2-3 or 4 treatments with 3-4 days in between.
NOOO! You don't need to call an exterminator. Lol They'll die.off on thier own. They just happen to LOVE pot plants. I'm not trying to panic you.
It's a battle.that may take weeks to do and given the place your girls are at, I suggest flushing and chopping asap. I just think you won't benefit any by spraying neem oil this late. Save something for you to pull your hair out over on your next grow!!

About all the sprays I've read up on say it may take 2-3 or 4 treatments with 3-4 days in between.
NOOO! You don't need to call an exterminator. Lol They'll die.off on thier own. They just happen to LOVE pot plants. I'm not trying to panic you.
It's a battle.that may take weeks to do and given the place your girls are at, I suggest flushing and chopping asap. I just think you won't benefit any by spraying neem oil this late. Save something for you to pull your hair out over on your next grow!!

Ok good news to hear they'll die on their own lol
Would it be worth getting one of the above products anyway and using them while I flush to try and kill them off in the short time we have left?

Also, are the above products the sort of thing you only use when needed or something you can use throughout to stop this issue from occurring?

I haven't personally seen or.used either of those, 5. But the active ingredient is neem oil. I think they are all simular.

I haven't personally seen or.used either of those, 5. But the active ingredient is neem oil. I think they are all simular.

Ok cool. Its 1.50am here so have to wait for morning to go to the shop and see what they say.
I will however start flushing #3 ready for harvest as you advise.
Its sad she wont be able to live out her potential. Will this massively affect the high when smoked do you think?

SNS 209. I have a pic, but can't figure this E-fing mobile E-fing phone and adding pics in text. I need my laptop!

That's what I use.

Back
Top Bottom