Freaskshow breeding project, faster way to get the seeds out?

ManInDirt

Last fall I grew some of HSC's freakshow, I took the best looking male and crossed it with the best looking female and a (HSC Squirt female also). The seeded cured dried bud is sitting in a turkey bag. It's a huge PITA to get the seeds out of the buds. Is there a better way besides breaking the buds down by hand and picking them out? Literally thousands of seeds I'm guessing. Probably shouldn't of let the male hang out for so long.

Must not have been around when all the pot was loaded with them ;) :rofl:

Rolling Tray or an Album Cover were the go to back in the day, something flat you can slightly slope on surface ou working on. Prop it up so slight angle and as you break it up the seeds will slide down to bottom, along with the credit card trick in previous post, to help sift thru it to get them to fall down to bottom. Let plant go and let flower really dry and they start popping out of the buds themselves :rofl: . As you see you can get tons of seeds real easy (more than you need) if your methods end up working right.

Must not have been around when all the pot was loaded with them ;) :rofl:
You are letting your age show.:).

Is there a better way besides breaking the buds down by hand and picking them out?
If it was my project I would dump the entire "turkey bag" into a plastic tote box. If you do not have a large enough tote box then divide it up so you do as much at one time as the box will easily handle. Next stem is to pick all the sticks and stems out. Then reach in and grab handfuls of the stuff that is left and rub it between your hands so all the green material breaks up and the seeds are loose.

Tip the tote box and then start to move all the stuff around. You should be able to get the seeds to start rolling towards the lower end. Before long all the seeds will be there and the other end is nothing but broken up leafy material. Don't worry about the small leafy stuff still mixed in with the seeds. Next reverse the slope and do it again. Each time there will be less junk mixed in with the seeds.

Probably be done in less than an hour depending on how much of your stash you are smoking;). It might sound like it is a lot of work but it will certainly be a lot quicker than breaking up a small handful at a time and picking out seeds one by one.

Even if you think it would be the right song I do not recommend listening to Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airman singing their famous song "Seeds and Stems (Again)" since that blues song might be enough of a downer to make you give up on your project within minutes. Instead listen to the group's version of the older song, Hot Rod Lincoln. That one is so upbeat you will be finishing in no time at all:D.

Last fall I grew some of HSC's freakshow, I took the best looking male and crossed it with the best looking female and a (HSC Squirt female also). The seeded cured dried bud is sitting in a turkey bag. It's a huge PITA to get the seeds out of the buds. Is there a better way besides breaking the buds down by hand and picking them out? Literally thousands of seeds I'm guessing. Probably shouldn't of let the male hang out for so long.

Man that is one trippy looking strain there! How's the buds smoke? Or was it just a breeding project? I'd love to grow a plant that looks like that!! :goodjob::bong:

Damn that was a lot of work! And before anyone says "oh those are white immature seeds" Nope that's exactly the way freakshow seeds look. They have an odd paperyhusk vs a hard dark shell. The ones from the breeder were the same.
339253124_1708533789603307_1966996163731749231_n.jpg

Wow nice pull on the seeds! I usually use one of those tall 4' floor mirrors and put it on a slight angle towards me (maybe 5-10 degree angle) and break up the buds on there. The seeds will sort of roll down to the edge of the mirror where there is a lip for the frame.

Its far from perfect but works for me. just make sure not to have too high of an angle or the seeds will roll right off the mirror.

I have seen some people make a home made seed separator with wood, plexiglass and a vacuum. Maybe if you check the U tube you could see them for future use. Basically it uses the weight of shake vs the round heavier seeds and the vaccume separates the material as its lighter and sucks into the vaccum area vs the seeds which are heavier and drop.

Nice plants too! Freakshow definitely is a unique one!

Back
Top Bottom