Fresh Start - 1st Grow - 1 Plant - Early Vixen - 150 Watt HPS

Tonight, after checking the pot, I decided to water. Is full 5 days since I watered last and the pot was super light. I added 1/4 doses of Grow and Liquid Karma PH to 6.0. I watered until I saw good runoff....the PH of the runoff was 5.8
Light is now 11" above the plant and temps are 77f at the leaves.

Here are a few before watering pic from tonight....interested to see what they look like in the morning.

Thanks for stopping by!
image34991.jpg
image34992.jpg
image34993.jpg

I thibk it could of used a fresh batch of empty water just to be sure. Any nutrients left in the soil will be used with the fresh water. Water with nutes would just add more nutes to what is already in the soil. Good luck!

I thibk it could of used a fresh batch of empty water just to be sure. Any nutrients left in the soil will be used with the fresh water. Water with nutes would just add more nutes to what is already in the soil. Good luck!

Hey Mello!

I hear you...I honestly think that it was heat stress as opposed to nut burn. I'm running Promix which has very little nutrients and I was hesitant to let them go without any nuts at all. (16 days and they have only had one feeding before)

Looks like everything is going well though! This morning, the plant looked perky and nice an green. (No more curling leaves). So it seems that the nutrients aren't the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Well, here is an update.

LAST NIGHTs photo:
image35068.jpg

THIS MORNING:

image18710.jpg
image18711.jpg

(pS - this is toward the end of the plants 18 hour DAY cycle...Lights out is in 3 hours)
The plant was totally leaned over at the stalk and continues to droop. It actually feels loose in the soil.
So, what to do next? I was going to check if it was root bound but the Promix is so dry that I can't upturn the pot. The pot is still slightly heavier than my test pot....but I think I need to water it. (I am really trying to make sure I don't overwater) It has been just short of 5 days since I watered it last...Here are a few scenarios...I am using RO water.

SITUATION A - The Plant is Just Thirsty
- give it a thorough watering with RO at PH 6.0 until I get 20% runoff

SITUATION B - Plant is Thirsty and Hungry
-I've only fed the plant twice in its lifecycle (at 1/2 and the 1/4 strength). That's twice in 19 days...The leaves are still quite green so I don't think it is underfed but since I am using Promix, I feel that it isn't getting the recommended doses. In this case, I would feed/water at 1/2 strength.

SITUATION C - Left Over Nutrients in Soil Causing Issues
I'm doubtful on this one since the plant doesn't look burned but who knows! In this case I would flush the plant with RO water at 6.0 ph (run a good gallon through it)

Any thoughts? My light is a foot away and temps all around are in the mid 70s. Being my first grow, it is often tough to decide which way to go. My philosophy so far has been to lay off the plant and don't try to 'fix' things before the problem is clear. (Overwatering is one particular thing I'm trying to prevent since I understand it is harder to recover from than underwatering!)

Thanks all!

Hey Billy

From personal experience, its much better to pot directly into the pot you intend finishing her off in. Whenever you repot plants, they go into a funk for a few days... Keep her in that pot for a week or so (until she's grown about 3 nodes) & then into the big pot she goes.

Good luck with the grow bro!

I absolutely and completely disagree with this...

There are many reasons not to do this... mostly because with a small plant in a large container it is impossible to water correctly. Don't be lazy. Successively up-pot so as to develop a solid root ball at every stage.

Sup dude looking good, I'm subbed :thumb: I love the 150hps, as for repotting just jump to the 3 gallon you typically only want to repot once in a grow. Keep getting it in brother!

another one...

I repot at least 4 times before getting to my final container... and I grow amazing plants. Everyone has their own style I guess, but for a new gardener, successively repotting and learning how to water correctly are very effective tools that can eliminate a lot of problems that can be caused by being in too big of a container.

another one...

I repot at least 4 times before getting to my final container... and I grow amazing plants. Everyone has their own style I guess, but for a new gardener, successively repotting and learning how to water correctly are very effective tools that can eliminate a lot of problems that can be caused by being in too big of a container.

Plus it's a wonderful excuse to see if roots are healthy.

another one...

Thanks Emilya!

My plan was to go from my 1/2 gallon - 2 Gallon - 3 Gallon. Next grow I will definitely start in a small solo,cup....1/2 gallon was too big to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using 420

Underwatered for sure. You should typically water when the pot feels as light as a pot with plain soil in it (best way is to fill another of the same pot with the same amount of soil and compare weight, if they feel pretty close in weight its time to water). Give her something to drink up and she'll perk up rather quickly. An over watered plant is waaaay more difficult to handle. You'll be ok.

Well, here is an update.

LAST NIGHTs photo:

THIS MORNING:

(pS - this is toward the end of the plants 18 hour DAY cycle...Lights out is in 3 hours)
The plant was totally leaned over at the stalk and continues to droop. It actually feels loose in the soil.
So, what to do next? I was going to check if it was root bound but the Promix is so dry that I can't upturn the pot. The pot is still slightly heavier than my test pot....but I think I need to water it. (I am really trying to make sure I don't overwater) It has been just short of 5 days since I watered it last...Here are a few scenarios...I am using RO water.

SITUATION A - The Plant is Just Thirsty
- give it a thorough watering with RO at PH 6.0 until I get 20% runoff

SITUATION B - Plant is Thirsty and Hungry
-I've only fed the plant twice in its lifecycle (at 1/2 and the 1/4 strength). That's twice in 19 days...The leaves are still quite green so I don't think it is underfed but since I am using Promix, I feel that it isn't getting the recommended doses. In this case, I would feed/water at 1/2 strength.

SITUATION C - Left Over Nutrients in Soil Causing Issues
I'm doubtful on this one since the plant doesn't look burned but who knows! In this case I would flush the plant with RO water at 6.0 ph (run a good gallon through it)

Any thoughts? My light is a foot away and temps all around are in the mid 70s. Being my first grow, it is often tough to decide which way to go. My philosophy so far has been to lay off the plant and don't try to 'fix' things before the problem is clear. (Overwatering is one particular thing I'm trying to prevent since I understand it is harder to recover from than underwatering!)

Thanks all!

Billy, clearly the heat from your light was the main culprit with the funky leaves and now the new growth is looking very healthy. Look how strongly your new growth is reaching up to the light now... this is a very good sign. I think you have hit on the right nutrient density too at 1/4 strength for now, and as the plant recovers and gets a healthy root system under her you will be able to up that gradually. Look for signs that your plant is asking for more nutes... any yellowing in the bottom leaves or a general overall yellowing... but you are not there right now. You know what to do with your promix now... just stay the course and don't let people convince you that there is a problem when there is not.

I dont see a problem at this point... continue to water correctly and at the right pH and this plant is going to start surging with growth. You now know that your light is a hot one, so be careful with it as the plant starts increasing in height. Do not be tempted to up-pot either... part of your problems were caused by moving into that 1/2 gal container too soon, don't shoot yourself in the foot by doing it again. Moving up to a 2 gallon when your plants can drain that container quickly would be just about right... and maybe a 5 gal from there? This of course depends on how much light you plan on giving in flower... are you going to stick with the 150w hps or are you planning on going larger?

Billy, clearly the heat from your light was the main culprit with the funky leaves and now the new growth is looking very healthy. Look how strongly your new growth is reaching up to the light now... this is a very good sign. I think you have hit on the right nutrient density too at 1/4 strength for now, and as the plant recovers and gets a healthy root system under her you will be able to up that gradually. Look for signs that your plant is asking for more nutes... any yellowing in the bottom leaves or a general overall yellowing... but you are not there right now. You know what to do with your promix now... just stay the course and don't let people convince you that there is a problem when there is not.

I dont see a problem at this point... continue to water correctly and at the right pH and this plant is going to start surging with growth. You now know that your light is a hot one, so be careful with it as the plant starts increasing in height. Do not be tempted to up-pot either... part of your problems were caused by moving into that 1/2 gal container too soon, don't shoot yourself in the foot by doing it again. Moving up to a 2 gallon when your plants can drain that container quickly would be just about right... and maybe a 5 gal from there? This of course depends on how much light you plan on giving in flower... are you going to stick with the 150w hps or are you planning on going larger?

Thanks so much!

I will feed and water again today at 1/4 strength until I get good runoff.

As far as the light, I have a Mars II 400 showing up in a couple days! I will be keeping it as far away as possible at first, then gradually move it each day until it is at the recommended height.

Sent from my iPad using 420

I completely disagree. New growth looks good but it is not the best indicator of overall health. Most of the time new growth only signifies that life is still within the plant. The lower leaves need to be as healthy as can be at this point and saying that it is normal for them to behave the way they are behaving is a bit premature. You should water them until runoff, not too much runoff. Report back after a couple of hours and see if the plant is responding well. I do agree with maintain PH levels, I learned that the hard way.

Watered and fed at 1/4 strength just before lights out today. (6 hours ago) It still wants to lean off to one side...(the stakes are keeping it more upright)

No dramatic changes, but I think they might be perking up. It will be interesting to see them tomorrow morning after a good 12 hours of light.

image35092.jpg
image35094.jpg

Day 21!

Two days after my last feed and water and the plant looks better than it ever has! I have 4 nodes and will pinch the tops once the fifth is up! I wanted to to fim after the fourth but the plant wasn't looking too good and I didn't want to stress it.

image35134.jpg
image35135.jpg
image35133.jpg

The stem is still a bit wobbly so I am supporting it.

Big changes tonight, as I am literally walking out the door to pick up my new Mars II 400! (Which will stay a good 30+ inches from my plant until it adjusts)

Thanks for stopping by!

Back
Top Bottom