G13 Pineapple Express - New Grow

If you're happy with Canna(you should be), follow their recommended for flowering. I like Blue Planet Nutrients, and use their Bloom Booster. TDS readings help, adjust base nutes down when bloom enhancers are added. All these liquid fertilizers are formulated with us in mind, commercial greenhousemen buy dry chemicals. Windowsill flower keepers don't buy gallon bottles. Don't look for nute magic, slight variations brand-to-brand make little difference. Worry about air qualities, and be ever vigilant against bugs.

I switched to Coco on Friday - 5 days ago. Rinsed as much of the soil from the roots as seemed reasonable, watered, and checked the runoff (yes, I know.. but it's a habit... i) Input was 5.8, output was around 6.2. I assume that was the residue in the soil on the roots.

After 12 hours in the dark, they perked up again, no problem. Owing to carelessness, they've been subject to high temperatures, up to 90F. I plugged the fans into the timer, instead of the lights (I'm running 6 off and 18 on), so the lights have been on all the time, and the fans have been off for 6 hours on Saturday and Sunday. Shouldn't think it would be a problem, but they're in 10 litre pots, and they're still heavy, after 4 days. I expect this will be the roots recovering from the shock. They're looking quite pale at the moment - that's my main concern.. do I water with noots again to get the green going, do I use a stronger dose, or stay with what I had... which, thinking about it.. may be wrong. Think I mixed it too weak.. let me check..

And here's something else I've just discovered. For the last few grows, I've been using vermiculite instead of perlite.I've just checked the
ph of Vermiculite.. and it's reading 9.2. Yes - that's right!And I've been using it liberally, about 30% of the mix is vermiculite. Which explains a lot. Now - I'm going to check how much water it takes to rinse this down to some level...

The Stoke

Way too pale, for my liking, so I upped the ec from .4 to 1.3. A bit harsh, I think, but I'm using the Canna Uk feed chart...and I've upped it from "light feed" to "medium feed"... 4 hours later, they look none the worse.. early days..
Incidentally, I checked the runoff .. and the ones with the vermiculite (two out of five) were way higher... like 6.4, against the pure coco which was around 5.8. To be expected, considering my last post.

One week later, and they look MUCH better! Only problem I can see now is most of the leaves are curling at the edges - upwards. I think this is either heat (raised the lights a couple of days ago, watered them yesterday, with the addition of a little epsom salts.. just a half teaspoon in 20 litres. Situation remains the same. Just have to wait.. unless of course, anyone has any other suggestions?
I'm away for 3 days from tomorrow morning.. so a response before then would be just great..

Thanks so far, all ...

The Stoke

Forgot to mention... I still have a Blue Venom in soil.. and it's ok.. no leaf curl. That's about 6 weeks old now, from seed. Just potted it up to 11 litre airpot yesterday. All the others are coco, in 11 litre airpots.

The Stoke

Nobody, it seems, is the slightest bit interested in my posts. So I'll just terminate this shortly. Everthing is looking good - just fliped them all to 12/12. Will take some cuttings tomorrow..feel like I'm talking to myself here...

Stoke

To end this little bit.. the 5 in coco all thrived. The Blue Venom kind never really looked promising. Unfortunately, I harvested way too early. I had bud rot or mould in one of the nugs, and kinda panicked, chopped, thinking I was maybe a week away from harvest time.. but, 10 weeks flowering time, I;ve discovered is really 12 weeks from the switch to 12/12, and I should have allowed a week or two extra to allow for the LST'ing. But, I have to say I was impressed with the growth, compared to the problems I had trying to grow in soil.
All things considered, they were probably taken down at least 4 weeks too soon...It's a learning curve indeed!

Thanks for the wrap-up Stoke. Sorry for the inattention. Good work that coco coir does, and my Pineapple Express has never improved after 8 weeks of 12/12. I've never LSTd PE. Had a runaway Hawaiian Snow that got supercropped when she got rambunctious :)

Four years ago, I grew this PE next to a bare vert 250watt CMH, in 39 days of 12s. I cut them @49, and they were the best.
CMH - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

I'm still growing that plant, from generational cuts. One seed, a freebie with an order. Kept under T8 fluorescent, constant light.

Wow! I've got one right now that must be about 17 weeks, maybe more. It's a second harvest - the nugs are loose, but there are still no amber headed trichs! I'm trimming that at the moment. Unless you have loads of space for that second harvest, it's not worth it. Seems to me, especially in the light of what you say about the 8 weeks.. you're better off shipping ready clones in to flower. Do the trichs EVER turn amber? Anyone? I love the strain - allows me to work, even when I don't feel like "working" !
This current batch, I've been lollipopping them and removing the big fan leaves - I've been doing 6 plants, 600w HPS, but I'll be trying with 4 next time around. I think, treated properly, maybe 4 scrogged plants would yield similar to 6. Beause I've always LST'd, they don't get much taller than 24" tall.

When I grew only PE, I thought that amber trichs were a myth. Top shelf among my friends, who like the aroma(odor) better than me.
17 weeks?? Two crops+, but I keep a veg box lit with T8s 7/24 for cuttings, veg, and donors.

You use starts from outside, you're going to bring in mites & thrips. I breed my own :)

I hear what you say. All my grows are from mothers, so I'm always vegging and blooming at the same time. Never grown anything outside. I don;t have enough experience to compare the smoke, but I do like it. Growing alongside 3 PE's right now, I have Dinafem super Silver, White Widow, and Cheese. White widow lagging behind in the yield, Super Silver looks like winning... all in coco, using Bluemats.

It does seem odd that the trichs don;t amber up... anyone care to comment?

Tks

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

It's now a few years on.... and the problems I had (for a LONG time) were due to overfertilizing, and lack of calmag. I couldn't get my hands on it, but recently used something similar. The difference is amazing.
Consider this grow closed, incidentally.... :)

The Stoke

Back
Top Bottom