Gator's Cage

Re: Gators' Cage

Thanks Papa, my attachments are evolving. It'll be a work in progress forever.
Only thing recycled are those two stick braces. I bought those bottles for this, poured the ginger ale onto the super parking lot so I wouldn't have to carry it. If it ain't tea, juice or water I don't drink it. The fence came in a 50' roll from the Ho de Pot. The bases for three (+ a 40"tent) were milled out for free when I paid $20 for a sheet of partical board. With the tubing and fittings, three cage grows for under 100$ No hoods. Ventilation, on the other hand is gonna cost me. At least I save on nutes even at full price H&G. Feeding water to waste wastes less :hmmmm: no res! No res changes. Fresh solution every time.

Thanks Papa, my attachments are evolving. It'll be a work in progress forever.
Only thing recycled are those two stick braces. I bought those bottles for this, poured the ginger ale onto the super parking lot so I wouldn't have to carry it. If it ain't tea, juice or water I don't drink it. The fence came in a 50' roll from the Ho de Pot. The bases for three (+ a 40"tent) were milled out for free when I paid $20 for a sheet of partical board. With the tubing and fittings, three cage grows for under 100$ No hoods. Ventilation, on the other hand is gonna cost me. At least I save on nutes even at full price H&G. Feeding water to waste wastes less :hmmmm: no res! No res changes. Fresh solution every time.

Very cool. All of it. I miss the days when I used to do WTW. Damn reservoirs.

Anyways - good shit.

:nicethread::bravo:

Took me a while to dream this up. A simple thing
000_06421.JPG

000_06452.JPG

feed line
000_0647.JPG

GWS cut 4/20, veg for 2 weeks? or till I won't wait longer
000_0651.JPG

16 PEs @19 nights. I've only one 250 CMH which I moved to the vegging grow. Not happiest with HPS, but I'm too broke for a bulb at this time. It'll work
000_0653.JPG

Looks very cool! So you water from the top and it drains through those tops?

Damn slick! Are you worried about clogs or anything?

:thumb::goodjob::Rasta:

Thanks for the detail on the bottle caps.
Thanks SS, I'm too close to this thing to see what has not been explained.
On the first set, I put a little super glue on after the insert. I don't know if a bond happened, I'd have to test to destruction to see. The second set is just a swaged fit. No drips
What's involved as far as getting in there to work on your plants? Doesn't look too easy.
I'll need to pull #1 out to work on, in 12 hours when light goes back on. I disconnect the T joint on the feed line, raise the light up out of the way, and slide half the grow out of the box like a big, tall drawer. I lift by the wire to a bench, the base goes along for the ride. The support structure is the 2x4 mesh trellis. A bit of a PIA, but I don't take them (the halves) out often.
What's that blue thing?
That is a recycled piece of 1/2" tube from a solo Waterfarm. The vertical riser from the feed line supplies all the pressure for equal distribution. I poured in a gallon 12 hours ago, less than a pint came through. That's minimun daily purge for WTW coco, so I will increase the amount next feed. Here is what they get: 7 1/2 mils H&G Cocos A and B, 2 mils Pro-Tekt, 2 mils Hydroplex, and a gallon of city water. Wish I could afford H&G additives, Hydroplex was a sample from my local grow shop. Good shit: was free.
000_0655.JPG

Are you worried about clogs or anything?
Yes PG, I worry. The feed line gets only fresh mix every time but the drain may. The fittings are 1/4" airline with a small inside diameter. When I filled the bottles with coir, I put a piece of window screen down first. I'll post a picture later. So far, so good. The caps can unscrew for an emergency roto root, but I'll have to see the need. I do not pull those racks out every day. When I get more dough, the gravity will go. Drip emitters and a small pump on an adjustable digital timer will feed. Another pump in a sump for waste.
Trichs are forming, starting to stink! :yummy:

The T fitting on the 1/2" feed line is the only connection. :peace:
000_06561.JPG

This is a great example that there are a million and one setups and rigs that can all get the job done. I love people that are willing to sit there grow books down and say "Hey I know I can make this idea work, now lets get to it" much love,respect and rep. Thinking outside the box and creative grows like this and some others are a shining beacon to me that everyone isnt just simply striving for the bare minimum in for the bare minimum out. Excellent DIY project I cant say enough for making the effort to try something new and different.

:slide: This makes me happy to see Gator.. I am glad you started the journal.. I have been plotting adding two vertical 400's into my garden. I just can't do it until after Summer or until I see how I can work an AC unit into my mix.. Looking good, like I knew it would... Mr. Gator, you Rock my friend...
:Rasta:

What's your ventilation, odor prevention strategy ;)

I love the set up - can't wait to see what the vertical bulb set up will do.

I think this is a 1.5 g/w minimum configuration shaping up here ;)

This is a great example that there are a million and one setups and rigs that can all get the job done. I love people that are willing to sit there grow books down and say "Hey I know I can make this idea work, now lets get to it" much love,respect and rep. Thinking outside the box and creative grows like this and some others are a shining beacon to me that everyone isnt just simply striving for the bare minimum in for the bare minimum out. Excellent DIY project I cant say enough for making the effort to try something new and different.
Never assume that the experts got it right. Thanks Caf

:slide: This makes me happy to see Gator.. I am glad you started the journal.. I have been plotting adding two vertical 400's into my garden. I just can't do it until after Summer or until I see how I can work an AC unit into my mix.. Looking good, like I knew it would... Mr. Gator, you Rock my friend...
:Rasta:
More light is more better and may still Be Irie garden.
Heat happens and we gotta either suck it up or blow it off. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Soniq, you've asked the big question. Ventilation!
Everything in my grow is derived but air. Artful assembly? Yes, OK but...
Crop disaster arrives by air. Bugs, heat, humidity, unwanted attention, suprise...
I have several schemes to deal with air. None are my dream but I'm short on resource so
1)A 4" Canfan/filter combo cleans growroom air, imperfectly
2)Growroom has east and westside windows
3)Ona
4)This is my last run of Pineapple Express till my air control is tight
5)Push up the cut-down date
6)Be lucky

16 plants blooming in this box is ridiculous, unless two levels run with stacked lights. I'll be dodging cannonballs to cut & dry sweet (stinky) 16. I expect good yield if I harvest anything. :Rasta:
I think 8 is the magic number, and have 8 Great Whites in the other box. The CMH box will veg to a foot then bloom. That's the one where reproducable results may be presented.
1.5 g/w would be sweet with budget equipment but I too think that the configurations' potential is more, when dialed in and managed well. I'm not there yet.:smokin:

WOW! Can't believe I missed this journal! Well I'm subscribed now PG...you got me on the edge of my seat. Thats a very clever way to maximize the lighting, and save space! +rep

Im in!!

This is looking awesome Gator!

Period.

There's a new growing gizmo that's almost exactly like your setup, but it has clothes washer gears under each pot. The entire carosel rotates horizontally with the plants (not like the wheel). As the carousel spins, the plants are rotated 180 one way, then 180 the other by the clothes washer gears, so as not to break the roots. Each unit is about 4' tall and they can be stacked.

I can't remember the name of it. ;) It looked very cool and the best system like that I've seen yet. $2500 smackers though - not including the light. How many 2 liter bottles and cage could you buy for that?

Wish I could rep ya.

:thumb::peacetwo:

As the carousel spins, the plants are rotated 180 one way, then 180 the other by the clothes washer gears
OMG! Rube Goldberg would be so proud.
Why use a simple tool when you could incur debt and get 420 precision moving parts?
I don't turn mine, just tie them back.

OMG! Rube Goldberg would be so proud.
Why use a simple tool when you could incur debt and get 420 precision moving parts?
I don't turn mine, just tie them back.

LOL

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Heheh. But to be fair to them, I didn't make myself clear. By rotating each plant - and its a very simple 1 flat gear - going 180 in each direction breaks no roots, but exposes 360 degrees of the plant to the light.

:peacetwo::thumb:

Looking great Propa Gator, lol that name everytime I type it, I get a chuckle out of it. Seriously though keep up the great work, and your ventilation system shouldnt be too tough for a McGyver of your status!

McGyver in the ghetto equals Gator on call
Status ain't nothin but a high place to fall
Sixteen scented cuties tied up on the wall
Periodic deluge is their bath, food and all

Make the wind blow sweet till their lives are complete
Artful fans and ducts demand a job wrapped neat
This time of year I need to beat the heat
And filter out the stink to a nose on the street

Back
Top Bottom