GDP Leaf Problem - 2 Pics

Update and question.
My GDP seems to have stabilized but it's not a pretty sight. The older growth continues to dry out however nothing has fallen off yet. There appears to be nice green tiny leaves at the bud tips but there is also some darkness to the buds themselves. When I put some strands under a 420 scope the trichomes are still clear (4.5 weeks in flower) but their are some fibers that are brown that are visible too. Do I let them continue and see what happens as long as there are nice clear trichs or are those fibers looking like something that is going to spread to the rest of the bud so cut and run with what I have? I believe the branches must be weaker as I had to tie them together as they were spreading apart, wish I could say it was because the buds were that heavy but that's not the case.
The good news is I believe everything else is going to be fine so I guess I should be thankful and quit crying in my beer.
Thanks

sounds like progress, but as bad as it was, that is something to really be proud of. Your plants literally were dying a few days ago, and now you are seeing new green growth. This is wonderful news, but remember that nothing happens immediately in the plant world... You move 1000 times faster than your plants.

No, your plant will not ever be what she could have been now... but every mistake we make will cost us, in either time, yield or potency. Stick with her to the end... there are still valuable lessons to be learned here. :)

sounds like progress, but as bad as it was, that is something to really be proud of. Your plants literally were dying a few days ago, and now you are seeing new green growth. This is wonderful news, but remember that nothing happens immediately in the plant world... You move 1000 times faster than your plants.

No, your plant will not ever be what she could have been now... but every mistake we make will cost us, in either time, yield or potency. Stick with her to the end... there are still valuable lessons to be learned here. :)

Thanks Emilya, I was hoping you'd say that. One big FAT ONE, that's all I ask ;)

Here is the clone that was in I.C.U.

newgrowth21.jpg
newgrowth12.jpg

I just calibrated the BlueLab pH pen and checked the pH of water I guessed at 6.5 using drops and chart... it was 6.7, close but no cigar. Things are looking good in the grow room although my Grand Daddy Purple will not be entered in Plant of the Month Contest :)

Shes an ugly duckling for sure, but she is still in the flowering room. Time will tell but I'd still like to get a little something off of her... something, anything.

just look at all you have learned from here in the last few weeks. You should tell her thank you next time you are in the room, she will appreciate it. :) Don't for a second think that these plants can not sense what we are feeling.

Ha-ha, we'll then, I guess I better get her out of that smelly room for some quality one-to-one when she gets up in the morning.

8 days later, an update.
The Mom is not a very pretty girl but her trichomes are still clear. (About 5.5 weeks in 12/12)
The clone is looking very good (all tings considered) but she had just entered 12/12 when this happened. I didn't want to drag the mom out but here are a couple pics of the clone that I just transplanted into a 2 gallon pot with FFOC:perlite 3:1. I figured she was healing pretty good so she should be strong enough for a new home. Probably not the greatest idea when 2 weeks into flowering but this one will be a bonus if she makes it anyway. I think she will.
CloneDamaged2.jpg
CloneDamaged1.jpg

A proper transplant at this point shouldn't be a big deal. I try not to after the flip, but you gotta do what you gotta do under the circumstances.

The seed companies say that the three strains I have in flower (GDP, PAINKILLER XL, AND BLUE BLOOD) need 8 weeks to flower. Seems how I am now at 5.5 weeks and they have only had water since the massive flushing a week ago, what should I do about feeding and when do I go to strictly water in the home stretch? Not sure if I should resume feeding them maybe once a week, everyother feeding now, or just keep them on water. Advice would be appreciated and remember... my first grow, unfamiliar territory.
Thanks.

When exactly did you switch to 12/12? These plants do not look like they are in the 5th week of flower at all... and because of that you still have plenty of time to give them nutes.

Then, since you have opened up a can of worms and I will give my 2c. I do not believe in withholding nutes at the end... and I think it is counterproductive to say the least, to not give nutes during the last two weeks of flower, when buds typically double in size and triple in weight. Logic tells me that this is when they need the most nutes, not a starvation diet.

Then consider what happens with us organic growers. I never give nutes, but then again, the organic nutes that are in my soil never go away either, and I could not flush them out of there if I wanted to. And, weigh in along with that consideration, that they say that organic grows end up with the most natural flavors and best potency of any other method. hmmm... could it be the full time nutes?

When I used commercial soils and synthetic nutes, I would still nute right up to the end... and only when I saw the first amber trichomes and knew that harvest was within one wet/dry cycle, that is when I flushed and then went with just water after that if I actually needed to water one more time. Over time I got much better at picking this end time, and usually I only flush as a final watering at the end, and harvest at the point that they would need to be watered again.

I'm sorry but I haven't posted pics of the 3 that have been flowering for some time This pic from today was a clone that had just been moved into flowering when all this started going wrong. I will get the 3 out and take pics tomorrow. The advice about with-holding of the nutes is noted...thank you.

Here is the Grand Daddy Purple that was on life support. She was 11 weeks old when I switched to 12/12, and that was 5.5 weeks ago.
GPD2.jpg
GDP510.jpg
GDP411.jpg
GDP317.jpg
GDP317.jpg
GDP136.jpg

Next is the PainKiller XL, same age and flowering time as the GDP.
PKXL32.jpg

PKXL23.jpg

PKXL13.jpg

Followed by the Blue Blood, 9 weeks when flipper to 12/12, and about 3 weeks in flower.
BB155.jpg
BB326.jpg
BB235.jpg
How do you think we are doing, am I 2.5 weeks away according to the pics? I had the time so did this tonight instead of waiting.

Here is the Grand Daddy Purple that was on life support. She was 11 weeks old when I switched to 12/12, and that was 5.5 weeks ago.
Next is the PainKiller XL, same age and flowering time as the GDP.

Followed by the Blue Blood, 9 weeks when flipper to 12/12, and about 3 weeks in flower.
How do you think we are doing, am I 2.5 weeks away according to the pics? I had the time so did this tonight instead of waiting.

Ahh... very good. Now we can see. I look at your GDP buds and see about a 4 week in flower plant... so I would guess that due to the damage you have lost about a week and a half and are really at week 4. Keep on with what you are doing, she is going to survive now, and give you a decent harvest... just be patient with her, she has been through a lot. The others who were suffering are going to need some extra time too.

There are always penalties for mistakes, either in quality, quantity or time. -Emilya

I feel kinda like back when I went with the wife for the final checkup with the OB/GYN before the first child. Exciting but a lil nervous too :)

Thanks Doc:thumb:

Then, since you have opened up a can of worms and I. will give my 2c. I do not believe in withholding nutes at the end... and I think it is counterproductive to say the least, to not give nutes during the last two weeks of flower, when buds typically double in size and triple in weight. Logic tells me that this is when they need the most nutes, not a starvation diet.
I had no idea that this will happen and find it amazing, It's gonna get fun real soon.

Here is a close up of the older GDP that was damaged so badly. The stems are getting heavier so I had to get it out and tie them up for support today. There is still brown on most of the buds and I am not sure what it is. I am hoping that some of the hairs turned brown during this operation and that it's not mold. I did take a sample and put it under a scope, the trichomes are all very bright and clear but there are entire strands of dark brown running through the field of vision occasionally and that is what I am hoping are the hairs. They were white, no brown, before I tried to burn her at the stake so it is not a matter of them just changing towards the end (at least I don't think thats whats going on.) Should this affect the safety or quality at harvest? She's getting pretty darned sticky and a mess to handle. All normal I guess.
GDP66.jpg

Pistils darken as she ripens. Some go red, brown, orange. It's a good thing. :)

That is great and I sure do hope that's all it is. I suppose they could have been in the process of doing just that but in all of the excitement I missed out on the change. Thanks for the encouragement rifleman :thumb:

By the way I gotta ask, what caliber you shootin :)

That is great and I sure do hope that's all it is. I suppose they could have been in the process of doing just that but in all of the excitement I missed out on the change. Thanks for the encouragement rifleman :thumb:

By the way I gotta ask, what caliber you shootin :)

Anything from .22 up to .50bmg Depends on what gets brought to the range by the guys. I don't actually own any weapons anymore...past life. :)

Anything from .22 up to .50bmg Depends on what gets brought to the range by the guys. I don't actually own any weapons anymore...past life. :)

I get it & love to plink myself, just paper though. Spent a good year getting a 223 dialed in with my own reloads. I think I could knock a knat off a sugar leaf at 100 yards without damaging a trichome - - on a good day.

Back
Top Bottom