Germination

pete2

I use to use paper towels and water to germinate my seeds seems like it worked fine.Could anyone tell me what is being used now or if there is something better to use than paper towels.I'm pretty much old school.Thank-you for your response and help:thumb::thanks:

I don't think there have been any recent advances in germination techniques. Stick to what works for you.

I soak my beans in a shot glass for 24 hours and then transfer them to the paper towel method. It's very effective.

I've always planted the seeds directly in the soil & has worked a treat...I could try soaking them in water for a day before planting next time. I heard some people soak older seeds in bleached water to clean the shell, can anyone recommend this method?

The paper towel method is fine, the downside though is you have to handle the seed while the root is exposed. I use the glass of water method; I dropped 5 seeds in a glass of room temp distilled water for 2 days and by the end of it 3 tap roots emerged. I planted them all straight into Promix HP and they did their thing, got 3 out of the 5 growing now in my current grow, take a look if you really want to see how I did it

I use to use paper towels and water to germinate my seeds seems like it worked fine.Could anyone tell me what is being used now or if there is something better to use than paper towels.I'm pretty much old school.Thank-you for your response and help:thumb::thanks:
Understanding what you are doing is vital to any successful germing, I too soak my seeds in a glass with a pinch of bleach to kill any spores on the shell, soaking before the towel is vital as you want the water inside activating the seed, be warned when the seed sinks, remove it to the towel, as they do drown ...then another day or so on the towel, then to the pot

Understanding what you are doing is vital to any successful germing, I too soak my seeds in a glass with a pinch of bleach to kill any spores on the shell, soaking before the towel is vital as you want the water inside activating the seed, be warned when the seed sinks, remove it to the towel, as they do drown ...then another day or so on the towel, then to the pot

What are you worried is on the seeds that needs bleach to kill it? Stating that you put bleach in the water to kill external something on the seeds, but at the same time expect that water get inside and "activate" the seeds? I personally wouldn't want bleach water activating my seeds.

I'll see if I find a link on this, but I recently read of a statistical analysis between soaked seeds that float against others that don't. IIRC, there was zero statistical difference.

I personally get the best results from solo cups with multiple drainage holes. Pop the seed, keep it moist, and I usually see a plant in three days or so. Only ever had one seed not come up with this method but I'm still watering when dry and waiting. Will give up at a month.

What are you worried is on the seeds that needs bleach to kill it? Stating that you put bleach in the water to kill external something on the seeds, but at the same time expect that water get inside and "activate" the seeds? I personally wouldn't want bleach water activating my seeds.

I'll see if I find a link on this, but I recently read of a statistical analysis between soaked seeds that float against others that don't. IIRC, there was zero statistical difference.

I personally get the best results from solo cups with multiple drainage holes. Pop the seed, keep it moist, and I usually see a plant in three days or so. Only ever had one seed not come up with this method but I'm still watering when dry and waiting. Will give up at a month.

..a pinch in most households is exactly that, most users of the glass of water method, is averaged at no more than 250ml, a pinch should be no more than 5ml (1xTeaspoon) at most.
Again ..actually understanding how Bleach works will do wonders for keeping molds even TMV at bay, it simply strips 02 monocles from any surface, and in this case the seed outer coat, the bleach is far too dilute to effect any internal bio mechanism of the husk, or even embryo.

..a pinch in most households is exactly that, most users of the glass of water method, is averaged at no more than 250ml, a pinch should be no more than 5ml (1xTeaspoon) at most.
Again ..actually understanding how Bleach works will do wonders for keeping molds even TMV at bay, it simply strips 02 monocles from any surface, and in this case the seed outer coat, the bleach is far too dilute to effect any internal bio mechanism of the husk, or even embryo.

I don't use bleach to germinate my seeds,all I use is PH balanced water:thanks::thumb::thanks:

For a water soak I always used a few drops of food grade peroxide that had been diluted to 3%. I keep a drinking water bottle of it by the sink to wet my toothbrush so it will pick up the baking soda/himalayan sea salt mix I brush with rather than the toxic waste that comes in tubes. A very tiny dab of dish soap like Dawn breaks the surface tension so the seeds sit lower in the water and are sunk in an hour. I do mine in a shot glass and if they take longer than a day to crack change the water leaving out the soap if they've all sunk. any that haven't at least sunk in 24 hours are likely duds.

Something I also always do is scarify the seeds before they get wet. Cut a piece of semi-fine sand paper to line the inside of a pill jar. I use 150 grit but it's not critical. Put the seeds in and while holding the jar horizontally gently shake the seeds back and forth for a full minute. Then you can soak or plant directly into the grow medium of your choice. Works great for old seeds which I plant directly into sifted promix for the best germination. Old window screen is good for sifting if you don't have anything of a similar mesh. Makes a finer mix for starting seedlings or rooting cuttings in. Never use real dirt if the seedlings are destined for hydro grows. Those bacteria in the dirt are no problem for organic grows but can wreak havoc in hydro.

Also, never handle your precious seeds with bare fingers. Skin oils can easily prevent germination but that little dab of soap and/or scarification helps undo that boo-boo. :)

L8r

For a water soak I always used a few drops of food grade peroxide that had been diluted to 3%. I keep a drinking water bottle of it by the sink to wet my toothbrush so it will pick up the baking soda/himalayan sea salt mix I brush with rather than the toxic waste that comes in tubes. A very tiny dab of dish soap like Dawn breaks the surface tension so the seeds sit lower in the water and are sunk in an hour. I do mine in a shot glass and if they take longer than a day to crack change the water leaving out the soap if they've all sunk. any that haven't at least sunk in 24 hours are likely duds.

Something I also always do is scarify the seeds before they get wet. Cut a piece of semi-fine sand paper to line the inside of a pill jar. I use 150 grit but it's not critical. Put the seeds in and while holding the jar horizontally gently shake the seeds back and forth for a full minute. Then you can soak or plant directly into the grow medium of your choice. Works great for old seeds which I plant directly into sifted promix for the best germination. Old window screen is good for sifting if you don't have anything of a similar mesh. Makes a finer mix for starting seedlings or rooting cuttings in. Never use real dirt if the seedlings are destined for hydro grows. Those bacteria in the dirt are no problem for organic grows but can wreak havoc in hydro.

Also, never handle your precious seeds with bare fingers. Skin oils can easily prevent germination but that little dab of soap and/or scarification helps undo that boo-boo. :)

L8r

Excellent Post OMU, I too should consider using your methods as my primary method, tho should my expensive seeds fail the initial germ(above) I then resort to your scarifying methods, in effect I would be more efficient to initiate your method as my primary germing way.

it would be most interesting to see if there is any difference to using a surfactant, on seeds versus the non surfactant method.

Just put the seed in a folded up paper towel in a cup and place on the top of your refrigerator towards the back and cover it with aluminum foil so it can breath but light and air stay out. Check it every 12 hours and add some drops of water only if the paper towel is not fully damp. in 5 days I always get a 3 inch taproot ready to plant in hydro or soil.

Vlad

Just put the seed in a folded up paper towel in a cup and place on the top of your refrigerator towards the back and cover it with aluminum foil so it can breath but light and air stay out. Check it every 12 hours and add some drops of water only if the paper towel is not fully damp. in 5 days I always get a 3 inch taproot ready to plant in hydro or soil.

Vlad
If your taproots are 3 inches long that means you waited way too long.

If your taproots are 3 inches long that means you waited way too long.

They are covered in aluminum foil, it acts as a perfect humidity dome without causing damping off.

A big taproot is great for planting in my hydro net buckets.

The plant that is kicking ass in my journal is from the same germination method I shared.

Vlad

Back
Top Bottom