Glasgrow's Outdoor Grow - Early Skunk - Scotland

20150625_164605.jpg
20150625_164805.jpg
20150625_165531.jpg
20150625_165640.jpg
20150625_170303.jpg

Success!!! Well sort of. Managed to get out while it was dry. The tops of the plants took a wee bit of bashing with the transport on the bike. Had them in bags but had to tape them over so as people no see inside them. They arent too bad, will suffer some stress. And every now and then i got a whiff of them, nice smell - aaahhhh! My short route to the site is no longer there, it now a construction site - new houses getting built so that area may be free from dog walkers for quite some time - perfect for plants now not being accidently spotted. I on the other hand took a route through the forest and ended up with my sock, shoes and jeans absolutely soaked (jeans more soaked walking through long grass as you can see in the pics and the ground quite soggy in places).

So pics 1, 3, 4 and 5 are the early skunk. 3 and 4 is 1 plant and 5 is the one that initially got mauled by the cat. 1 of the plants also had a fan leaf chewed in half the other day as well, not sure which 1 that is. Pic no 2 is the candy sugar (or whatever it was called). All were looking really healthy till they got transported. As you will note only 3 pics show the netting. All have netting covering them and is in no way secure so any wind will blow them away (partially supported them with grass fed through the holes). No time to sort the trellises nor time to sort out a proper netting cover and also no time to go back to give them a feed and water. This will get done tomorrow. Also forgot my grazers so fingers crossed they last till tomorrow or even next week if i dont get time tomorrow.

We are also due a heatwave soon. This will be magic for all us outdoor growers. Am expecting some serious growth over the next few weeks. Tallest of these plants is around 12" (1') which is not bad since they were germed on 1st may 2015.

Good stuff mate! Glad you got them in the ground. They look happy in their new home :thumb:

From what I know about outdoor, which is not much, my first season too. They will begin flowering soon now the summer solstice has passed and the days are slowly growing shorter. So you should see some good growth before the autumn.

Have you thought about mould problems with the cold and wet September's and October? What about protecting them from the frost before harvest?

Last year we had the coldest Halloween and the warmest fireworks night. Only in Scotland eh?

Nice one bud.

What about slugs and snails? Doesn't appear to be any barrier between them and your plants and I'm pretty sure I've already lost one plant to a slug.

Aye, heatwave....24 degrees next week apparently. Hopefully we'll see some decent outdoor growth in Scotland this year :)

It's just getting into the season for them little buggers too! Last year was good for caterpillars haha

And one other thing - all had nice healthy root structures. Another month or so and they would have become root-bound.

Looking to get out to them once a week but gonna do it turn about with my pal. Each plant will get a 5L watering with treacle each time. A question though. Do i feed with nutes every time if it once a week or is it just every 2nd time? And is it full strength from now on in? I know i add pk 13/14 from 2nd week of flowering, again is this every feed till finish or just every 2nd week? Do i replace nutes with solely pk 13/14 or do i continue with feeding along with the pk 13/14?

And one other thing - all had nice healthy root structures. Another month or so and they would have become root-bound.

Looking to get out to them once a week but gonna do it turn about with my pal. Each plant will get a 5L watering with treacle each time. A question though. Do i feed with nutes every time if it once a week or is it just every 2nd time? And is it full strength from now on in? I know i add pk 13/14 from 2nd week of flowering, again is this every feed till finish or just every 2nd week? Do i replace nutes with solely pk 13/14 or do i continue with feeding along with the pk 13/14?

I would say don't feed at all mate. You have no idea how much nutes the soil is already holding. Wait for a signs of early deficiencies then feed. Much easier to give than take away. Especially outside :)

The treacle is only useful for the microbes in the soil and a sugar kick during flowering. I would recommend feeding with an all round flowering feed (tomato fertiliser would be perfect) every two weeks during the first 8 weeks of flowering. Molasses (treacle) every second feed. Then plain water to the end for a nice smooth smoke :):)

It's just getting into the season for them little buggers too! Last year was good for caterpillars haha

Aye, when walking back through the long grass the other day I stopped to roll a joint and noticed my lower legs and boots were covered in besties.....couple of nice wee spiders, loads of shiny green weevils and a bright green caterpillar. Quite a few micro moths flying about too.

Well i havent thought about slugs and snails but havent seen any around the area i was in. I will get some repellent and place around the plants, better safe than sorry. Not due to flower till around the end of next month, perhaps early august. All depends on when the days start hitting 13/11 or 12/12. As for mould - they are mould resistant and with any rain i'll try get out there and shake it off. Only problem could be if it rains for half of one day and then is mega sunny the rest, no chance to get out and sort them so may have leaves and buds possibly getting frazzled. Frost problems should be ok. With being in a forest the frost is not likely to hit until it gets really cold (trees and grass will provide shelter) but good thing is - early skunk due for harvest around mid-october. If it does happen to frost over i will be out quick smart to harvest early and save what there is. I know it can survive one frost but not much more. If it gets hit with more then am left with a shed load of bud for bubble hash.

So to summarise feeding schedule. Plain water with treacle tomorrow. Next week plain water. Week after with treacle and continue with that regimen till they start to flower. Then when they do flower use all round tomato fertiliser every 2nd week alternating with pk 13/14? Plain water for last 2 weeks (will use treacle for last 2 weeks as well).

Didnt get out to the plants today, not enough time but we have had some showers today along with the rain yesterday. How long can i leave the plants before i do need to give them a water? Also found out a new route to my plants thus saving me time and can go out another route too.

When digging the ground yesterday under the soil i found the undersoil to be pretty clay-like. Will this pose a problem for the routes?

So to summarise feeding schedule. Plain water with treacle tomorrow. Next week plain water. Week after with treacle and continue with that regimen till they start to flower. Then when they do flower use all round tomato fertiliser every 2nd week alternating with pk 13/14? Plain water for last 2 weeks (will use treacle for last 2 weeks as well).

Sounds like a good plan bud! Use that as a base and read the plants as they grow. The tomato fertiliser will provide an all round NPK for growth. You might be able to up the pk 13/14 if the plants are responding well

Didnt get out to the plants today, not enough time but we have had some showers today along with the rain yesterday. How long can i leave the plants before i do need to give them a water? Also found out a new route to my plants thus saving me time and can go out another route too.

When digging the ground yesterday under the soil i found the undersoil to be pretty clay-like. Will this pose a problem for the routes?

If it's raining, no need to water...

Clay is a nightmare. Soaking wet when it rains and hard as stone when it's dry. If you can, dig out as much clay as you can and amend with compost, or break up the clay and mix in 50% sand or perlite to help with drainage.

Have you any idea of the surrounding soils pH level?

No idea of the soil ph. But within a forest (research done) ph should be pretty much neutral. Cant do much about the sites now, plants already out. Only found out about clay when i dug the sites again through the laid compost, clay was at the bottom. Got a few things to do with them this week and not much time as my eldest son (9) is here for a week. Got trellises to build then need to set them up, got water along with odds and ends to take out to the site, netting to set up properly, the area needs to be sprayed with grazers to add as an extra deer barrier, also slug pellets to lay down. Are slug pellets bad for plants once it rains and soaks into the ground and will they need re-applied after rain? Hope my mate can make a day out with me so we can do this in double quick time. Also need to find the source of the burn and test the ph but like i said - may need to make my peace with that one and use it regardless.

Have also gotta try find time to germ the other auto seeds and plant them. The place for these is perfect. The field i have in mind has grass and vegetation around 1m high so they will be quite well hidden. Will be digging up some soil, adding one bag of compost to it and planting the seeds directly in the ground once germed, spacing them about 1m apart. With them being in the middle of a field - sun from dawn to dusk, maximum exposure. No training or topping for these plants. Will have two routes in and two routes out so the paths will remain inconspicuous as possible. All paths can also be used the other way round too. The likelihood of the paths being found - very slim. The field is cordoned off due to the construction site so no dog walkers will come across them, i have heavy vegetation to walk through to get to them myself and dont think the dogs and owners will go this way to get there so should be pretty safe. Just need to find a day where i can get all this done.

The summer solstice doesnt seem to affect us here. Although the days are supposed to be getting shorter it was actually pretty light outside at 11pm last night, lighter than any other night. This wont be a bad thing in my opinion.

Hi Glasgrow. Im form Ireland myself and have tried outdoors b4 with ok success.. looking forward to seeing how your plants come along, they looking good so far :)

Gazmufc - where abouts in ireland have you grown? What strain did you grow? When did you germinate then transfer outdoors? How much sunlight were they getting? What was your final dry weight (total and per plant)? Did your buds end up heavy and dense or were they light and fluffy?

Just a brief rundown on how you did things. Include things like feed, transplants, what you did from start to harvest. This will give me a good idea of how things may turn out and some ideas of how to do things. This in turn will also let others know how things were done and an idea of how they can do things. Will also let them know what they may expect from an outdoor grow.

I live just along the border with the north mate. we so sick of paying 50euro for 2 poxy grams we decided to try it last summer. The strain we used is on the tip of my tounge, but just cant rememebr soz (frustrating, but it might come bk to me) Ya man in the shop in dublin said it was for outdoors, but warned they wud do better in a polly tunnel. If I had of known about early skunk we wud of gone for that strain. We stated to germinate in early march, let them come along on a south facing windowsill for 2 weeks, b4 placing in one of them mini green houses you can get in argos for cheep as chips.. they stayed there for about 2-3 weeks, taking out once a day to strengthen the stems.. we had a nice location at the back of my friends gaf.. there is a wall which we placed a large disused window over and stacked some pallets to hold it there. we placed out, but kept them in 6L pots, for soil we used the bags of pre made tomato soil. The plants done really well, grow big and bushy and very healthy, but we didnt prune( big mistake) as the buds did turn out veyr fluffly and airy which was disapointing, but hey, this what happens when ya dont do your homework, live and learn. because we cudnt dry in doors we had to make do with a shed at my friends house(another disaster), as we did loose about quater of our crop to fungus, so at the end of it all form 4 plants we only got about 2 and a half- 3 ounces or so of dry airy bud. but it did get us stoned! kinda annoyed now we didnt get another out door grow again this summer, as I really wanted to imporve from last yr, (which cudnt of been to hard lol) Im deof not experienced enough at growing to give advice, I tried in doors this year and made more mistakes. 3 autos for a dry weight of only 2 ounces.. pretty shit! but the smoke was so dam nice and tastey, I and my friends loved it, just wasnt enough of it lol.. So im now savin like crazy to get some more equipment and some other devices for testing etc-- im determined to get a better weight next time around!! I just cant save fast enough :)

If you can get a good crop, veg for longer if doing indoors then find someone who will buy in bulk. I got 3 people who will buy in bulk - can get £1800 - £2000 for 9oz. Am gonna train mine to grow horizontal so will get some massive colas along the main stem rather than 1 big and several smaller buds. Get seeds from attitude seed bank. Have had 100% success germ rate and they give you free seeds with every order. All feminized seeds and all have been fem. Got really good smoke from all the grows.

I came across some pics of previous grows. Will post on here when i get time.

If you want some personal advice. Grow with nft system and a 600W HPS bulb. If heat a problem then invest with a cool tube. You can get a good kit if you shop around for £250 and i got mine with canna nutes and rockwool cubes included in the price. Grow chronic haze and strawberry blue - about £40-£50 in total. They are both a good smoke and my preference is strawberry blue - can be enjoyed with a drink and makes you laugh like f*ck at nothing. The chronic is a total couchlock stone.

Back
Top Bottom