Glasgrow's Outdoor Grow - Early Skunk - Scotland

Not sure what i will be doing next year. Thinking of either 10 auto thc bombs and hope to harvest within 3 months with around 2oz off each plant, or will do something like purple passion (x5). I think the latter is ok for uk climate but need to double check on that. Will be prepping the area on my future visits by yanking up the grass and leaving a big grass free patch which will be the area for next years grow. This will ensure an easy area to find, easy to tend to, easy to see slugs and can place a barrier around the perimeter to prevent slugs from getting there in the first place. This is the idea, whether it turns out like that is a different matter. Also need to get the mrs onside, lol.

20150829_141944.jpg
20150829_141950.jpg
20150829_142106.jpg
20150829_142122.jpg
20150829_142409.jpg
20150829_142422.jpg
20150829_142822.jpg
20150829_142829.jpg
20150829_142943.jpg

Well here is the latest and it not great news (dont think it is). Pics are in order of the previous posts (use them for comparison), and have taken 2 pics of each plant from a different angle.

#1 (early skunk) - after suffering a slug attack and apart from 1 leaf left it made a recovery. The surrounding grass seems to have grown over it and seems to be really stunted.

#2 (early skunk) - had done well and still is. A slug (or deer) had topped the plant and now is growing 2 tops instead of 1. The plant is doing ok and is starting to branch out a bit.

#3 (sugar candy) - this is the best plant. Almost 4' in height, gets plenty of sunlight and you can see it is doing well. Still suffering from a nitrogen defficiency so going to give it a good all round full strength feed.

#4 (early skunk) - this was the runt that got mauled by the cat as a seedling. Has made a recovery of sorts and is doing well.

Now you may remember me saying that it not great news. Two things, 1st is the plants are not flowering. Two are showing small pre-flowers (i think, zoom in on the pics if you can) but these plants are supposed to take around 50-55 days to flower (early skunk). That takes me towards the end of october so unless the frost holds off till then am screwed. I would have thought that these plants would have started to flower by now. Even the sugar candy is supposed to take 50 days to flower but says it be ready by end of sept. I know i can leave the plants till the first frost but no longer and if leaving till then i have to go out the next day and chop regardless.

Secondly - now this is the bit that really sucks. The last photo is my stuff left there in a black bag, it not in the black bag anymore and although i set it out the way in the photo is was scattered around. Also 2 things that i had there was pk 13/14 and grazers deer spray. Could not find either when i was there. Now has someone stubled across my site and had a rummage through my stuff stealing the 2 things that i needed, especially pk 13/14? Need to try get pk 13/14 next weekend of will just have to do with all round fertilizer. It seems a bit odd that none of the rest of the stuff was taken. Also if someone had been there and seen the plants why have they not been touched? Perhaps they are good guys and will not steal them and they like a toke. They may want to steal them and realised that chopping now would be pointless so they may wait till they are flowering or almost done flowering. Have now lined out my stuff and see what happens. If they see that they may realise that the plants are being tended to and perhaps leave them so they dont cross me, just need to wait and see.

Again, as always, advice is appreciated.

It doesnt help with the weather being crap over the summer holidays. Once the schools went back the weather improved and although it has helped with the growth of the plants, they are thinking they are getting more light even though the days are getting shorter. Ironic really. Did some research and have found that plants can survive an extended period of cold and continue to mature. Just have to wait and see. Think i be doing autos next year and perhaps red purps which is similar to purple passion. Should do well in our climate.

hese female cannabis seeds are absolutely the pinnacle of the cannabis geneticist art. Taking only the finest medicinal marijuana strains and preparing them to be completely female the DNA Genetics company has excelled in creating possibly the finest cannabis seeds in the world.

Known for years as the top smoke at the Grey Area Coffeeshop in Amsterdam and now is available to the rest of the world. The Silver Bubble is a balanced mix of 1/4 Northern Lights, 1/4 Skunk and 1/2 Haze. She finishes in 10 weeks tops or mid-October outdoor. The Silver Bubble is mould resistant and can handle the cold. She is a moderate to heavy eater and will stretch a bit if not controlled. Pinching is a great method, or topping works good as well. The smell of the Silver Bubble is unique, and the colour is a silver shine glistening through the HPS'. Classic Haze flavour from the smell, to the smoke, to the after taste, classifies her as being a "complete" smoke. It's exactly what you've been searching for without the mystery.

If you're looking for a head stash strain, Silver Bubble is for you and anyone who has been to Amsterdam. They will instantly be reminded of a moment the Silver Bubble got um there!

Update time guys. It is well overdue but have work, family and half marathon training to do.

At long last the babies have started to flower. Photos are in the same order as before but when they are due to chop i will try do individual posts and pics for each plant, be easier to see it that way but need to get on the pc to do it as it a pain to try and do it on my phone.

Have some extra pics of each plant that is flowering from different angles. Pics 1 and 2 are plant #1. Doesnt seem to have done much since i last seen it, also struggle to see any pre-flowers on it at all. If it pulls through i'll end up with a couple of mini-colas so may just turn that into iso oil.

Pics 3-6 are plant #2. As you may see from before it was growing 2 main stems from being topped. Looka like these have disappeared as has half of the plant. Think the culprit is likely to be deer. This has started to flower as you will see.

Pics 7-10 is plant #3 (sugar candy). This was a free seed and didnt know how it would do but surprisingly it is the best. Has several budding sites and is getting big. Flowers on this plant are prominent.

Finally pics 11-14 are plant #4. This was the one that got mauled by one of my cats but it has pulled through. Not particularly big but it seems to be doing ok. Also showing flowers as well.

All plants were given a good feed of treacle water with added pk 13/14 and some general all purpose feeder. The mixture was probably a bit strong but with me only getting out rarely i am sure that they will be ok and will welcome the added and much needed nutes. And i can only go out with so much so the mixture is quite concentrated but seen as we due some rain it will get diluted over time.

20150917_140421.jpg
20150917_140437.jpg
20150917_140517.jpg
20150917_140528.jpg
20150917_140605.jpg
20150917_140613.jpg
20150917_140818.jpg
20150917_140826.jpg
20150917_140930.jpg
20150917_140950.jpg
20150917_141737.jpg
20150917_141745.jpg
20150917_141756.jpg
20150917_141806.jpg

All in all i think the grow has gone ok. There doesnt seem to have been anyone else at the site which i was a bit concerned about the last time. It has been a bit of a learning curve for me and it is my first outdoor grow. People dont think a grow can be done outdoors in scotland but i beg to differ. If you got the time then i would recommend that if you do grow outdoors this far north then to force flower at the begin of august. These plants were supposed to be EARLY skunk and ready by early-mid oct. No chance. The days are just too light for too long so they dont start flowering when they are supposed to. Have still to see what the final outcome will be like but am sure i will get something for my efforts. I think i have spent around £70 on seeds, soil etc so if i come out with only 7g in total of dried bud then i have got my monies worth. Still have to give some to my pal for his wee part he has played in it.

Gonna hopefully do autos next year and gonna prep a site for them. Grass will be ripped up (makes things a bit easier to find and can see any slugs that may get by), soil turned, fresh compost added to it and then use slug pellets around the perimeter - that was my big downfall this year. Going to do that in feb so it gives it 2-4 months to settle before taking 10 babies out there.

I still think we've been unlucky with the weather this year bud. Am sure if we keep trying we'll get lucky now and then though.

Dunno about you but growing outdoors in sunlight has made me really want a greenhouse so I can control temps and keep them out the rain.

Does look like it could have been deer that chomped the tops off....doesn't look like slug damage to me either.

You been checking out what folk in sunnier places have going on? Cola Monster has a cracking journal you won't want to miss.....utterly jaw-dropping stuff.

Have seen some journals but time restricts what i can and cant do. Been meaning to make some oil from the bubble hash i made since mon but just not had time. Should get to it tonight. Gonna take a gram of all the grades of bubble hash, soak in some iso alcohol for 3 hours then pass it through a 25ų bubble bag. Sit the bowl out for iso to evaporate and scrape what is left in the bubble bag and smoke it. Not sure how that will turn out but the oil will be banging.

An outdoor greenhouse would be good but depends on if it is secluded enough. The rain hasnt been a big problem, not for me it hasnt, just means less trips to go out and water. The greenhouse would be beneficial for late finishing plants as it would keep the frost from getting to them, a greenhouse isnt feasible for me though. And to be honest i dont think the weather has been that bad. It could have been sunnier and warmer but over the general scope of things it has been ok. More sun would have meant taller plants and more yield but like i said it has been a learning curve. The weather recently has been quite good - enough rain to keep them fed and enough sun most of the day which will help with flowering, if the days continue to stay sunny then the buds will be good. Temps could do with being a bit higher at night.

I agree about the deer, muda fcukers! The rest of the plants have had some netting placed over the tops so i dont envisage the deer being too happy about munching on stringy plastic. If i had had more time i would have place bamboo canes around each plant and tied netting to them meaning the coverage would have been better and much less likely to suffer any damage. May do that next time i am up there so at least they make it to harvest time without suffering any more damage.

some of your plants have been lucky and some not so luck , very hard to try get the right balance outside , got all sorts wanting to destroy our beloved plants
I hope you manage to get something of them , just so you ca taste your on products :)

i chopped a bud of mine yesterday , well i didnt mean to break it all off just a bit but the branch snapped lol .. bit early but the buds if they fill out will be excellento

Wed_Sep_16_19-37-24.jpg
Wed_Sep_16_19-35-44.jpg
P1080204.JPG

That looks like the strawberry blue. Looks very similar to when i did mine. It a great smoke. Makes you laugh at absolutely nothing, uncontrollable giggles, can enjoy a bevvy with it without becoming too mashed and also makes you horny. It did for me and the mrs anyway.

I should get something at least. My investment into this "project" was around £70 so as long as i get back 7g of dried bud then it has paid for itself although i should end up with more than that so long as i dont get any slug or deer problems between now and the chop. Laying down plenty of slug pellets on my visits and just draping some netting over the tops of plants (dont think the deer will like muching on them). The weather recently has been ok during the day with some afternoon and evening sunshine. Temps are getting a bit cold now, not a warm 15°C but a cool 15°C during the day and sitting under 10°C at night time, have seen it as low as 5°C on my balcony and that is up 7 floors and just outside the windows so that will get heat from inside and shelter from the wind. Am hoping that the frost steers clear for the next few weeks and have heard that we supposed to get an indian summer for the last couple of weeks of october which if it happens and the night temps stay above freezing then that gives the plants time to fully ripen before we get a frost.

Just a question for those that have geurilla grown or grown outside to finish. What is the best time of day to chop? When it gets to the end of october i will be looking at sunrise of around 8am and sunset at around 6pm (both times are guestimates and not taking into account the change of the clocks). Have to get out while it is light enough to give me time to chop and then to get the crop back home.

What is the best time of day to chop?

Lembatoast says best time to chop is before sunrise but my outside ones will be getting chopped during the day. I guess as early as possible is the best compromise as I don't fancy spending the night on site or attempting to get there while it is dark.

Need to try the harvesting in the dark thing indoors though.

I hear ya. From what i have read they say best time is just before sunrise. Dont fancy spending the night in a tent nearby nor do i want to head out really early doors either as it will probably be freezing or close to it. Another thing is the path i can take, which is quite inconspicuous, is covered with cow dung and i dont fancy cycling over big mounds of it to have me and my bike covered in it due to not seeing it in the dark. I can go another way but it does take a lot longer and depending on how long the grass still is i will get very wet and very cold very quickly. May need to make my peace and head out as early as i can and get while it is light.

Indoors is easy kushtie. Just turn off lights 2-3 days before harvest and you are good to go. During that time i would turn off the res thus the plants will take up much less water making it easier to trim. All depends on whether you dry or wet trim. Personally i would take off the fan leaves first and then hang the plant for 2-3 days before trimming. Unfortunately i dont have that luxury. I have to chop, take off what i can at the site and get it up the road. Can leave it in a box or bag for a day or two but need to chop as soon as possible, no hanging for me as it will stink the place out and i have no room. Once trimmed i shove my trim into the freezer in food bags for making bubble and leave the trimmed buds in a shoe box or two and leave that on the balcony. Bring the boxes inside into the airing cupboard overnight and turn the buds every so often to ensure even drying. Once the drying has been done then it into the jars for curing.

Trying to make my posts a bit easier to read from now on. Difficult to do with a phone.

This is the first plant that has now started to flower at long last. Am not holding out much hope for her. She has made a recovery since being demolished by slugs. One tiny piece of fan leaf left after the initial attack so i didnt think she would amount to anything at all. Since laying slug pellets down (as with all the plants) she has perked up a bit, new leaves grew and you will see the small flowers now showing. I dont think she will finish in time so she may get chopped early and turned into some bubble or oil.
20150929_145405.jpg
20150929_145418.jpg

This one i was hoping to get something decent. Early slugs had done some damage, more slugs had topped it, then the last time i was back i think a damn deer had got to it and munched most of the tops off. Now going back i couldnt initially find her. As you will see she has been flattened and sits horizontal rather than vertical. As this has now happened i took off the couple of flowering sites and will just leave her now. RIP. If i catch a deer near my other babies they will be RIP'ing! Lol.
20150929_145533.jpg

Now this was the free seed - sugar candy. Didnt think initially she would amount to much but grew her anyway. She is the biggest of the lot. Stands at around 4' tall, hasnt really stretched much since flowering but is doing great. Pulled off some dead foliage and counted 12 bud sites in total. She really packing on the weight. With any luck will pull a good couple of ounces off her. Still leaving her covered with netting so the deer dont munch off the tops. She has come this far i dont want to lose her. Leaves are yellowing but now only feeding with pk 13/14, no need for nitrogen for the last month.
20150929_145854.jpg
20150929_145920.jpg
20150929_145929.jpg
20150929_145941.jpg

This was the runt mauled by one of my cats early on. Didnt think she would survive but these plants can take a beating of sorts and still pull through. Was barely a week or 2 old and the cat munched the top off the plant right down to the cotelydons. Has 2 or 3 flowers on her so will at least yeild some smoke.
20150929_150206.jpg
20150929_150221.jpg

Spent around £70 in total on everything, including auto seeds that didnt make it. Planted them on a whim but didnt lay any slug pellets down so they probably got them. If i end up with only 7g of dried bud i break even. Still got to give some to my pal who helped along they way. He laid pellets down, got the seeds sent to his place to start with and gave me a hand with getting soil to the site and mixing it in with the natural surroundings. But i think more importantly i have met some great people on this site to chat to, and 1 person in particular who i can get trim from from time to time. I thank you all for your support along the way. Grow still isnt finished yet (obviously).

Does anyone know how much the cold nights will affect the plants? Getting conflicting information from google. Some say that the plants will wilt up and die yet others say they should be ok for a wee while. Temps during the day are really good for this time of the year, hitting mid teens (°C) but rapidly dropping once the sun sets. Temps are around 5°C during the night and for the past few days we have had a fair amount of fog - luckily not freezing fog. Will the warm days compensate for the colder nights? Would like to harvest before the first frost but it may not be possible although i have heard that the plants can survive a frost or two in which case i will need to head out and harvest if that happens. Just wanting to know if anyone has any experience of having plants outdoors while it been quite cold at nights and how well they did and how long were they outside enduring cold temps

Depending on strain really some it won't affect to much while others it can make them turn purple and others it will promote fungus and other it could ruin the harvest. Next time try to get an early finishing strain I'll pm you the website for the grow shop by my house. On there site they have a strain selector which you can choose early flowering genetics which will show you a variety of many different strains that are done earlier say mid September to well now. My buddy did a few of the early Marco from sweet seeds they aren't huge but you'll get a worry free harvest. \you can even select mold/fungus resistant strains.

Back
Top Bottom