Good autoflower to grow?

KJM

I'm thinking next year I might put a few, like 5'ish autoflowers in the greenhouse instead of a couple of big photo periods. The plant I have now is in reality too big for my greenhouse. 3 or 4 of them and I would need a machete to get in there! Any suggestions on a good strain of autoflower seeds that would grow about 4-5 feet and have decent yield in 3-4 months? The last photo period I have now is the first weed plant I ever grew, but I'm hooked, but basically know nothing about weed plants! Also where's a good place to order seeds, I live in Canada.

You want a lot out of an auto flower. I'm doubting that you'll get 4-5 feet, more like 2-3 1/2 ft. I normally get about 3-6 oz. per auto. Maybe someone has a specific strain that will (I'd like to know what it is too). My go to is Northern Lights, but they don't get that big, usually around 28 inches tall (with LST).

I'm thinking next year I might put a few, like 5'ish autoflowers in the greenhouse instead of a couple of big photo periods. The plant I have now is in reality too big for my greenhouse. 3 or 4 of them and I would need a machete to get in there! Any suggestions on a good strain of autoflower seeds that would grow about 4-5 feet and have decent yield in 3-4 months? The last photo period I have now is the first weed plant I ever grew, but I'm hooked, but basically know nothing about weed plants! Also where's a good place to order seeds, I live in Canada.
You can start your plants later in the season. I'm going to be starting my photoperiod plants around the end of May to keep them smaller than this year, and I'm also going to be growing a couple of autos.
I also intend to put one of the photos into light dep to get it to flower earlier. Would you be able to do that with your greenhouse?
So far as ordering seeds, I've had good experiences with @Herbies Seeds @Weed Seeds Express and @True North SB . They're all site sponsors, and True North has frequent sales.
I usually get my seeds from True North in a couple of days, but they're in Ontario like me.

You want a lot out of an auto flower. I'm doubting that you'll get 4-5 feet, more like 2-3 1/2 ft. I normally get about 3-6 oz. per auto. Maybe someone has a specific strain that will (I'd like to know what it is too). My go to is Northern Lights, but they don't get that big, usually around 28 inches tall (with LST).
I got my Super Stinky by short stuff to grow 5-6 feet & got 22 oz the first year
Got them from @True North Seed Bank

You can start your plants later in the season. I'm going to be starting my photoperiod plants around the end of May to keep them smaller than this year, and I'm also going to be growing a couple of autos.
I also intend to put one of the photos into light dep to get it to flower earlier. Would you be able to do that with your greenhouse?
So far as ordering seeds, I've had good experiences with @Herbies Seeds @Weed Seeds Express and @True North SB . They're all site sponsors, and True North has frequent sales.
I usually get my seeds from True North in a couple of days, but they're in Ontario like me.
I was wondering about that. So you can just start clones of a photo period plant a bit later and it will still flower good, just be a bit smaller? Can't really do light dep early, its outside and covering and uncovering at the right times seems a PITA.

I started my photos the 1st of June just to keep them smaller. They will finish at the same time regardless of when you start - size is the only thing that changes. I think I got the timing right - they are in rolling tubs and are now finishing in the greenhouse and they look way healthier than last years. I'm going to be doing a few autos next year and if it goes well I may switch over totally. They just seem like less work, moving, waiting and guessing at the forecast. Here it is getting into November and I'm still waiting for decent amount of amber!!! Come On!!!! :hmmmm:

I've been using seeds rather than clones, but yes. Less time to veg means a smaller plant.
It is strain specific to some extent too. Fast growing strains like Blue Dream can shoot up faster than you expect.
Training can also keep them shorter, but that usually means a wider plant.

I've been using seeds rather than clones, but yes. Less time to veg means a smaller plant.
It is strain specific to some extent too. Fast growing strains like Blue Dream can shoot up faster than you expect.
Training can also keep them shorter, but that usually means a wider plant.

And, there's also the whole indica vs sativa thing. Indicas tend to be shorter and squatter than sativas.

Training can also help keep a plant short. @Carcass 's current plant is only 12.5" tall but it has 38 bud sites due to his expert training:

38 bud sites by Carcass.jpeg

I've done experiments pulling a blackout cover over my small 8x12ft hoop greenhouse. It definitely works, but it's a lot of work, and you should be pretty disciplined with getting the cover on/off at the same time every day. I started 4 weeks before flowering starts naturally outside.

Mostly I've been growing Autos in the last couple years. They're great for pla es with a short growing season. Have also trained Sour Diesel photo in a Manifold. Kept it short and got 8 fat colas from each plant.

Cheers and good luck

I got my Super Stinky by short stuff to grow 5-6 feet & got 22 oz the first year
Got them from @True North Seed Bank
I read somewhere that auto flowers have a bit less potency. Any truth to that? I f I could get 5 foot plants from autos I would be happy! My photo I grew this year got me 23.5 oz and I thought that was pretty good, but it was over 6.5 ft and a lot of spread. I wouldn't have enough room for 3 or 4 plants that size in my greenhouse. if you can get that out of an auto, then that seems the way to go. Even a bit less, but with room for more plants seems like a good trade off.

I haven't grown many autos, but the newer ones seem to be pretty close to photoperiod plants in potency these days.
I have some Gelato auto seeds from @Herbies Seeds that are advertised as 26% THC. I don't know what kind of yield I'll get from them yet, I'm planning on popping one for my summer grow.

I read somewhere that auto flowers have a bit less potency. Any truth to that? I f I could get 5 foot plants from autos I would be happy! My photo I grew this year got me 23.5 oz and I thought that was pretty good, but it was over 6.5 ft and a lot of spread. I wouldn't have enough room for 3 or 4 plants that size in my greenhouse. if you can get that out of an auto, then that seems the way to go. Even a bit less, but with room for more plants seems like a good trade off.
Maybe some of the early small low riders. Now that they are crossing Sativa with the auto flower gene they are about the same as photos
With the autos you won't need a greenhouse I also topped it & it got 6' wide
I grew in the ground not in pots
Even with the seeds I would put it in the high teens for potency maybe even low 20's
It was Callie Haze X UK Cheese skunk x Auto
You could really smell the skunk & cheese on hot days
view this post Show us your roots! Drop some pictures, give a few details

Back
Top Bottom