GreeenFingers - Mr Nice - NL5 x Afghan - DWC - SCROG

UPDATE: VEG

Hey Everybody there's been lots going on in the garden.

Both plants have gotten a fresh reservoir change;

PH: 5.8
EC: 1.4
Nutrients: Connoisseur A+B and CaliMagic at a ratio of 2:1
Water Temp: 18 c ( 64.4 f )
Room Temp: 27 c ( 80.6 f )

The girls had grown so much in the last few days that a serious trim and defoliation was needed along with a session of weaving before we go into flower.

I initially sat underneath each plant systematically removing every single shoot below the SCROG that was either small, stretchy or not as mature as others, carefully selecting which ones to keep.

The goal here is to have only very large colas above the screen, to achieve this, every single top above the screen needs have a thick stem and be producing fully developed, thick, deeply veined leaves.

What I mean by this is, newer shoots produce leaves that are usually lighter in colour, flatter, may only have 3 - 5 fingers, tend to be thinner/transparent with thin, wiry and overly flexible stems, we do not want these for producing colas. they will never be able to sustain much weight.

I will show more pictures explaining exactly what I mean in my next update :)

Before I pruned and trained them, look at the density of the growth, it really needed to be opened up to allow for better light penetration and air circulation:

16692.JPG

22366.JPG

The girls after the pruning, some may feel that this treatment is very severe but trust me ha ha they will have enough time to recover before the switch to 12/12.

Now that the ratio of root mass to plant material has dramatically increased and the plants can now only grow from their tops, the growth above the screen is going to be extremely vigorous:

31888.JPG

DSC_046812.JPG

This picture shows what I plan to achieve, every Red square now has a top growing through it, the Blue squares do not have tops through them yet but branches are being trained over to fill them. Once all of the squares are full it will be time to switch to 12/12. I'm giving it about 4 - 7 days.

The pattern is intended to give each cola enough space pack on the weight while also allowing extremely even light distrobution and penetration.

DSC_047012.JPG

The root zone getting big on #2 and looking healthy.

DSC_04738.JPG

Hope you all enjoyed this one :thumb:

GreenFingers

P.S

Just a quick Picture showing the clones that have been taken from NL5 X AFGHAN 1 and 2 on the lower right.

The mini DWC bucket has 2 clones of my favourite Blue Cheese keeper that I am going to be running next.
I am thinking that I am going to MainLine train these girls rather than LST to see if I can improve my yield :)

There are a bunch of other seedlings in there too that I am going to be experimenting with.

The strains in no particular order are;

Amnesia Haze
Strawberry Blue
Blue Kush
Critical 2.0
Critical Widow
Cream Caramel

Does anyone have any experience with any of these strains ? I'd love to hear any thoughts or opinions :)

DSC_04767.JPG

Until next time :thumb:

GreenFingers

:popcorn: subbed. Man I like your set up a lot. I'm gonna pop in from time to time and check things out.

Hey LEDBud

I'm trying to have myself prepared ha ha I plan on having the room perpetual :)

I had contemplated running a White Widow considering it is a classic. What seed bank did you get your seeds from?

I would probably run Black Widow by Mr Nice Seeds because it is actually the original genetics that won the cannabis cups back in the day before other seed banks started copying the strain. It is the only seed bank with the original parent plants to make it. Shantibaba the breeder changed the name to Black Widow to differentiate from all the copies.

The NL5 X Afghan in this journal is also created from one of the parents from the actual NL5 that won all the cups, one of the parents was lost long ago so the breeder crossed the other one into 3 different strains to try preserve the genetics, in an X Afghan, X Haze and X Skunk.

GreenFingers

UPDATE VEG:

Growth in the garden is extremely vigorous since the severe pruning :)

I think we will be able to switch to 12/12 any day now, I'm so excited :slide:

These pictures were taken literally 48 hours apart

The day of pruning.

31888.JPG

48 Hours later.

DSC_04928.JPG

DSC_049411.JPG

GreenFingers

They Bounced right back and fast , loving the light

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I picked the strain up by Clone about 15 years ago from a friend who got it from a friend , seriously ..

I passed the strain on to someone who made it his main medicine / strain , he past it on to some people who went big with it.

UPDATE: FLOWER DAY 1

A few pictures for the silent majority.

The HPS makes the girls look so washed out compared to the MH, I swear they are actually a dark green ha ha I took a picture through my grow room glasses so that you could see a more accurate colour :)

DSC_049311.JPG

DSC_04969.JPG

DSC_049512.JPG

GreenFingers

Looking real nice GF. Congrats on switching, keep it up :)

Thanks MrLoveGrow, time to start watching these girls explode :)

Beautiful coverage. I :love: your scrog!

Thanks Canna Montana, they have filled in the space nicely :) Are you and Nismo12 thinking of doing any sort of scrog in your new set-up?

Nice setup.. I'm thinking about trying out dwc

Hey Recklessjoint, I would highly recommend it, the growth rate from DWC is just phenomenal :)

If you do decide to take the plunge and try DWC I will be more than happy to help you out in any way that I can.

GreenFingers

Thanks MrLoveGrow, time to start watching these girls explode :)

Thanks Canna Montana, they have filled in the space nicely :) Are you and Nismo12 thinking of doing any sort of scrog in your new set-up?

Hey Recklessjoint, I would highly recommend it, the growth rate from DWC is just phenomenal :)

If you do decide to take the plunge and try DWC I will be more than happy to help you out in any way that I can.

GreenFingers
Shoot... lol! Most plants will have its own pvc and string scrog, I know we are going to continue fluxing 1 or 2 of them, so maybe no Scrog, but maybe there will be a scrog... you will just have to tune in regularly to see all the hard hitting action. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom