Greenislands 5 Gallon Upgrade Ebb & Gro TEK

Re: Greenislands grow journal 09' #2

If you bought the retail version of just the controller module then yeah it comes assembled to the rectangular bucket. : / Not sure if you arranged something seperate with CAP.
Sounds like you have a good plan. I'll keep my eyes out for a suitable controller bucket..:peace:

Well than it sounds like I will be drilling me some rivets to get it off. lol. Thanks for the info Mcbuds! Im hoping it doesnt come attatched though, and no I had no special arrangement or anything.

NOTICE: This thread will be split into two seperate threads for ease of use. This thread will stay the same while the other will be named "Greenislands 5 Gallon upgrade Ebb and Gro TEK". This one will saty on topic with the grow room, while the other one focuses on the 5 Gallon Ebb and Gro TEK. That way questions dont get mixed up etc. Thanks everybody, and as soon as I get the link I will add it to my signature, stay posted everyone, and thanks for reading!.

re: Greenislands 5 Gallon Upgrade Ebb & Gro TEK

Heh. Everyone is still posting in your other journal. I think you created a monster mixing the two up in there to begin with but that horse is already out of the barn.

There was some question on your tube diameter choice. I think you are OK though some theory may be necessary. Look here to start.

Volumetric flow rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For simplicity, we will assume a straight tube so overall volumetric flow rate is equal to the cross-sectional area inside the tube times the velocity of the incompressible fluid (we can put water solutions in this catagory). So, if you want more more water in a given amount of time, you have two variables to work with. The internal area can be increased by enlarging the pipe and/or the speed of the fluid in the pipe is increased.

Now, in practice, you have a pump that will deliver the water to the tubes. Increased pipe diameter will lower the velocity of the water as you reach the pump's upper limit of flow, but that pipe diameter increase will also lower the back pressure on the impeller in the pump increasing its maximum flow rate.

I would think that increasing the tube diameter will increase the flow rate. Why not setup a side by side test your self and see how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon version built the old way and one built the new way each hooked up to the same fill system. Do them separately though and that should help you make up your mind.

Oh, about having media in the buckets. The more media is in a given bucket, the less room there is for water so it will fill faster than an empty bucket.

sorry man i posted on the wrong thread bro ill post here now.plz dont take anything i say as an put down.I am just trying to help.we realy do work with this system alot, i just dont want anything to happen in the middle of your grow.most of the pros and cons we have seen.with the ebb it even comes down to the nutes you use.

hey greenie, check out this link for grommets. I think this is what you are talking about but I'm not sure. It may be late for this time around but keep it in mind for the future. We ordered from them wednesday morning and received it wednesday afternoon! I'm in Los Angeles and they have a warehouse here but still, they have warehouses allover the country. GL and thanks for the TEK.

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with this company. I'm just a happy customer.

Thank, you everyone for posting in the new journal. Its going to make things a whole lot easier for me in the future. So Munki, the thing is with this system is there is no pump feeding the buckets, its all just gravity, and the waters need to even out. I used 3/4" Inside Diameter Poly tubing. The inside diameter of my "t"s are larger than the outside diameter of the old 1/2" poly tubing. Im out of town on bussiness this weekend but I should be back on Monday or so to start finishing this TEK up. The Control Unit was sent out yesterday, hooorahh!!!
And Pit, beleive me I dont, lol. I have never taken anything youve said to offense. I just really am struggling to understand your thoughts. Realistically you would have to straight out come out and call me names before I would get upset. And all you have done is take time out of your day to help me, how could I take offense to that? :).
So stay tuned everybody! Ill be back working on this project on monday. Thanks for everyones help to, Munki, Pit, and everyone else too, its all very much appreciated, thank you.
Oh and thx for that grommet website too man, next time I will be sure to just order them over the net, rather than run around all over town trying to by 3 here, 6 there and 5 there.
Thanks everyone!:thanks:

I wonder if a coarse copper screen could be employed. Roots hate copper; pots lined with copper paint can prevent roots from becoming root bound, at least from what I had read in the past.

NOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!

Copper is toxic to plants and in a nute solution would be very bad ju ju.

When I was a landscape supervisor and needed to kill an unwanted tree that we couldn't get at to cut or spray, I would just take bare copper wire, wrap it around the trunk and tighten it enough to cut into the cambium layer. Wasn't fast, but it worked.

No copper.

DD

NOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!

Copper is toxic to plants and in a nute solution would be very bad ju ju.

When I was a landscape supervisor and needed to kill an unwanted tree that we couldn't get at to cut or spray, I would just take bare copper wire, wrap it around the trunk and tighten it enough to cut into the cambium layer. Wasn't fast, but it worked.

No copper.

DD

We are trying to employ that toxicity to our advantage. I do not recommend wrapping a copper wire around the trunk of the cannabis plant as it would meet the same fate. There are products that do employ copper hydroxide that are used as root barriers. The roots when approaching the copper tend to branch rather that try to turn and wrap around the pot. There have been latex paints and nettings used to control root growth.

We are trying to employ that toxicity to our advantage. I do not recommend wrapping a copper wire around the trunk of the cannabis plant as it would meet the same fate. There are products that do employ copper hydroxide that are used as root barriers. The roots when approaching the copper tend to branch rather that try to turn and wrap around the pot. There have been latex paints and nettings used to control root growth.

OK, I understand where you're going.

Not trying to be a 'know it all' or anything, just didn't want to see a fatal (to the plants), mistake made by accident.

DD

OK, I understand where you're going.

Not trying to be a 'know it all' or anything, just didn't want to see a fatal (to the plants), mistake made by accident.

DD

Sorry if I came across as harsh. Wasn't intentional. Only through our combined knowledge can the real truth be found.

MUNKI: Are you stoned again? Getting might mighty deep there..J/k

LOL! :rofl: You asked a member of 420 mag if they were stoned when they posted? I'd say that happens a lot!

It is a good line though and I did mean it.

LOL! :rofl: You asked a member of 420 mag if they were stoned when they posted? I'd say that happens a lot!

It is a good line though and I did mean it.

oh the line was
perfectly put..I was just laughing cause you can always tell when someone really gets way stoned. Once the philosophical stuff start coming out its over with. And the ironic part is, that the words that are said ALWAYS TEND TO BE TRUE.:goodjob:

oh the line was
perfectly put..I was just laughing cause you can always tell when someone really gets way stoned. Once the philosophical stuff start coming out its over with. And the ironic part is, that the words that are said ALWAYS TEND TO BE TRUE.:goodjob:

Sometimes, a really good single malt has the same effect. :peace:

LOL No, you aren't going to run me off, nor did I think it was harsh. You did answer that you were well aware of the toxicity of copper, and that was my concern.:yummy:

I'm a newb to hydro, but have been growing 'stuff' for close to 40 years, so not inexperienced and I'm here to learn.

Learned something already, just reading. Was wondering how those buckets worked with the rez higher than the buckets????? Now, I'm beginning to understand, reading about the control box, float switches and all. Don't understand completely, but mo betta than I did.

DD

Ok so I drew this picture real quick to try and help illustate how the ebb and gro set works. There is a 55 gallon reservoir that holds most of the water most of the time. There is also a control module that has a timer attatched to it and a couple float valves that can tell where the water level is in the control bucket. There is a pump inside the reservoir and there is a pump in the control bucket. The control bucket is plumbed into all the plant sites (3gallon buckets) so that everytime the control bucket fills up with water it levels out with all the other plant buckets and fills them up with water just the same as the control bucket. The control modules timer only turns the pump in the big reservoir on for 15 min every 4-5 hours. And then after 15 minutes the pump in the control module turns on and empties al the water back into the reservoir from the control module. Main thing to keep in mind is that where ever the water level is in the control bucket is exactly where the water level will be in the plant sites/buckets. Heres a pic that might help you visualize it better. Let me know oif you have any more questions. Hope this helps man!

100_1208_-_Copy.jpg

when the buckets fill to the highest ppoint and then need to drain how are they draining back into the rez?is there an additional port for the draining?

That's what I'm trying to get my head around. 2 pumps? 1 pump going in both directions? Or, gravity to fill and a pump to get it back in the rez?

OR ....???

DD

Back
Top Bottom