GreenThumb J's Twilight 165W LED Grow Journal & Review - BC SweetTooth - DWC

re: GreenThumb J's Twilight 165W LED Grow Journal & Review - BC SweetTooth - DWC

Maybe i'm just going by what the draw from the wall is.. about 96w actual draw power.

Compare that to 600w+ from my MH/HPS?

I duno, call me a skeptic, but 96w draw power doesn't seem like it could grow much. Its okay! i will have other plants flowering under HPS!!

re: GreenThumb J's Twilight 165W LED Grow Journal & Review - BC SweetTooth - DWC

Excited to see your results!!

Thank you!!

its my first LED experience, but i'm liking it so far.

I will have to get a larger LED panel and see what it can really do. This 165w one might be lacking the juice!

I have a Mars II 400 watter from TopLED that I happen to snag on eBay for a good deal ($178 shipped). I'm loving the hell outta it right now and is perfect for my tent size (4x2x5 feet). Draws roughly 200 watts from 80 diodes measured @ 5 watts a piece with very limited generated heat. So far, no issues whatsoever except for the need to supplement my feedings with some extra calcium and magnesium. With LEDs, your girls are going to require more of Cal/Mag to prevent those deficiencies. Can't comment on yield yet, as I'm currently in my first grow and recently flipped over to 12/12. Any questions regarding my LED, feel free to shoot me a PM man

:popcorn: Ready to watch the grow and learn. Waiting on my seeds to finish germinating will be growing under a 300w LED in a DWC system.

:popcorn: Ready to watch the grow and learn. Waiting on my seeds to finish germinating will be growing under a 300w LED in a DWC system.

I'm waiting on my beans to crack, then this show will really get going!

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!!!

I called the place I'm getting my fans and they are IN STOCK! Have to pick them up monday, but I will be good to go!

Time to start tying down the widow branches to get her ready for flowering!

subbed in for the LED ride

Hey Lex! I'm subbed in to this LED ride as well!! who knows what i can learn!.. er. wait.. this is my journal haha

I'm a straight up noob when it comes to LED's so i'm going by what i've learned from KingJohn's Dominator 2x review, what i've read on the intrawebs and by what the amazing sales rep at Twilight, Jason, teaches me about this LED technology.

Okay everyone following along (which is like 3x more than my first journal!) I have a small, but very important update!

I called the place that i got my tents at, and they FINALLY have the fans IN STOCK!!

so heres my list and total.
2 x 6" inline fans - $200
1 x 6" filter -$80
1 x 4" inline fan -$80
1 x 4" filter - $50
1 x 6"x25ft ducting - $20
1 x 4"x25ft ducting - $15
1 x 6"x25ft ducting - Free
1 x 4"x25ft ducting - Free

Grand total is $499 including taxes.

This brings my total grow set up costs to a decent amount. Add in the grow box, and its ridiculous!

8x8 tent = $250
4x4 tent = $150
2x600w HID packages = $400
Ventilation = $500

I guess you could say the AC was part of my grow set up, since its stupid hot in the grow box. I have to run it with the door open, and even still it was like 30-33 degress, which was better than almost 37 or 38!

Its been cool and rainy the last couple days, and i've rearranged the AC to be almost in the grow rooms, blowing the cold air towards the open grow box door, and currently temps are about 26 degrees at the top of the hydro tub . I need a bigger extension cord than what i'm using right now for the AC so i can move it into the grow room, close up the doors and keep the cold air in!

AC Unit - $560

So for those things, that cost me about $2000 before ANY taxes! Add on about another $200 for taxes.

That doesn't include any nutrients that i recently bought ($250+), the seeds that i purchased ($150), the 6cu ft. box of rockwool grow cubes ($70) or the other miscellaneous stuff i bought at the grow store (about $75)

This also doesn't include any near purchases for the tent. Like a Temp day/night & fan speed controller ($70-110) Super Roots air pots (5gal x 4-6 for the clones, $13 each) a Gen Hydro dual diaphragm air pump ($80 from hydro store or $90 plus tax and shippng on Scamazon)

I'm not gona start adding up the costs for materials needed for the THC bomb Monster RDWC i'm doing with Cannabis 1.

In the last 30ish days.. maybe 45. I've spent $2500+ on grow shit, with another $500+ in shit i wanna buy still yet to spend. Thats like $3000 BEFORE any taxes!

Add in the $3700 my grow box cost... plus seeds @$540 for my first run. I'd say i've spent almost $8000 since march in my grow set up!

Once i get shit going tho, it will be smooth sailings and that investment will be paid back in no time!

On another Note.. ONE Sweet Tooth seed has popped a tap root in the paper towel. 2, almost 3 days for this bean to crack with the others still closed up.

B.I.G and IceMud are also to follow. I've learnt a few things from them

Im only running an DR80 and have spent about less than 1k for all the things I need. In the past year I've managed to harvest close to 1 lbs while learning

B.I.G and IceMud are also to follow. I've learnt a few things from them

Im only running an DR80 and have spent about less than 1k for all the things I need. In the past year I've managed to harvest close to 1 lbs while learning

My first harvest in my grow box wasn't much under a half pound.

My white widow i have in my bathroom veg area, i estimate will pull in well over a half pound, for the one plant, i'm going for 3/4 - 1lb tho. I didn't train her much at all, so she's kinda been all natural until i started topping her like i duno a month and a half ago, and then like every 2nd week i've had to top her.

My plan with my grow is minimum 2 month veg time, unless plant is large enough earlier than 2 months, or plant will grow too tall in flower if left to veg longer. Each plant will be topped and a scrog put on them. Once plant is ready for flower, a cutting will be taken (if i want to continue the strain) and the plant put into flower. 1 plant per 600w light should pull in roughly a pound dried and cured. I have 2 600w lights in the tent, with a plan of getting a third.

i duno what this journal will pull in for a yield, but i'm hoping for more females to males out of the 4 seeds, so i am harvesting more. I'm ideally hoping for all 4 to be fems. but i will settle for just one being a girl that i can clone! hopefully she's a heavy producer! If the strain runs good under the LED, i'm going to run it under a 600w and see what the cat drags in!

My clones that i have of the Widow, i'm not sure how long they will get vegged for. Might move them into the bathroom veg area after some renovations to the veg grow space to get some lumens from that MH bulb. Thinking about changing the light in the veg area to an LED to get the heat down in there! That would then free up a 600w ballast for me to play with!

Okay folks, 1 Sweet Tooth is in a 1.5" rockwool cube, and a second has popped a taproot. Took like 4 days? never has a seed taken this long for me, but my first grow taught me some patience, so i will just wait it out. I really hope the other 2 crack and germinate, so i don't have to scramble and order some more Sweet Tooth.. Although i'm just itching to buy some more seeds! I'm thinking something with an intense fruit flavour.. DrRosko's Strawberry cough he entered on POTM is an amazing specimen, and i would love something like that in my garden!! Or something blueberry maybe.. Berry Bomb from Bomb seeds?

this isn't really for the BC Sweet Tooth, but i thought i would post it here since it does have to do with the LED i am reviewing.

The clones look great under the Twilight 165w Classical LED and are just reaching for the light.. They are very healthy and got a good watering the other day. I topped 2 of them today and will keep my eye out for the new shoots taking over as the lead growth.

3 are still in 3" rockwool blocks and one of those 3 is being transplanted tomorrow into a 4" square pot.

I'm very tired, so heres some pictures. Hopefully i wake up in time to do an update on the other journal before i have to go to work!!

I got some shots while the LED is on as well as some after lights out. Enjoy:

GEDC06641.JPG
GEDC0666.JPG
GEDC06652.JPG
GEDC06632.JPG
GEDC06671.JPG
GEDC06683.JPG
GEDC06692.JPG
GEDC06712.JPG

And the Group shot:
GEDC06721.JPG

Heres the pictures after lights out:
GEDC06792.JPG
GEDC06812.JPG
GEDC0680.JPG
GEDC0682.JPG
GEDC06851.JPG
GEDC06841.JPG
GEDC06831.JPG
GEDC06782.JPG

Alright everyone.. its bed time!!

Nice looking Green. Did you square off some of the end's of the leaves on purpose?

OH, love seeing those plants are cover on the RED light! :bravo:

Like those girls are taking shower with RED Water, sexy~~ HAHA:circle-of-love::rofl::rofl:

Okay folks, 1 Sweet Tooth is in a 1.5" rockwool cube, and a second has popped a taproot. Took like 4 days? never has a seed taken this long for me, but my first grow taught me some patience, so i will just wait it out. I really hope the other 2 crack and germinate, so i don't have to scramble and order some more Sweet Tooth.. Although i'm just itching to buy some more seeds! I'm thinking something with an intense fruit flavour.. DrRosko's Strawberry cough he entered on POTM is an amazing specimen, and i would love something like that in my garden!! Or something blueberry maybe.. Berry Bomb from Bomb seeds?

this isn't really for the BC Sweet Tooth, but i thought i would post it here since it does have to do with the LED i am reviewing.

The clones look great under the Twilight 165w Classical LED and are just reaching for the light.. They are very healthy and got a good watering the other day. I topped 2 of them today and will keep my eye out for the new shoots taking over as the lead growth.

3 are still in 3" rockwool blocks and one of those 3 is being transplanted tomorrow into a 4" square pot.

I'm very tired, so heres some pictures. Hopefully i wake up in time to do an update on the other journal before i have to go to work!!

I got some shots while the LED is on as well as some after lights out. Enjoy:

GEDC06641.JPG
GEDC0666.JPG
GEDC06652.JPG
GEDC06632.JPG
GEDC06671.JPG
GEDC06683.JPG
GEDC06692.JPG
GEDC06712.JPG

And the Group shot:
GEDC06721.JPG

Heres the pictures after lights out:
GEDC06792.JPG
GEDC06812.JPG
GEDC0680.JPG
GEDC0682.JPG
GEDC06851.JPG
GEDC06841.JPG
GEDC06831.JPG
GEDC06782.JPG

Alright everyone.. its bed time!!

OH, love seeing those plants are cover on the RED light! :bravo:

Like those girls are taking shower with RED Water, sexy~~ HAHA:circle-of-love::rofl::rofl:

Haha J-Sun you funny dawg you!

*Edit* I'm going to apologize for the Americans and others that dont use the metric system or read temperatures in degrees Celsius in Advance... SORRY!!!! you all got google!! google that shit!

I have to say, for a smaller powered LED panel, the clones are taking a liking to it. And looking at the temperature difference in the grow box with TWO 400w MH running right now the temps (with the door open and the AC blowing into the space between grow box door and tent opening) the temps are stable around 26-28 with lights on.. around 17-19 with lights off (and AC still blowing into the box.) Where as the Tent with the LED is always 24-26 with light on.. probably around same temps as grow box with the lights off (17-19) *Editing post.. see above***

J-sun.. i have to say.. i was kind of worried.. almost disappointed when i read that the wall draw is only 96w.. and seeing other peoples grows using low powered LED's and how terrible they look. Plants that dont look like they just dont bush up very well.

The clones i have going are putting on new growth quite well.. I'm sure its safe to say, that my 600w MH would be doing a much better job for vegetative growth than THIS PARTICULAR panel, but the panel is impressing me, with its low wattage. It would be very good as a supplemental side light in conjunction with a more powerful LED panel as the main light source.

But so far so good!! I am very happy with how it is performing.. Just makes me wonder what i could do with one of their Apollo models, or Super LED models.. in about the 900w+ range.. comparing it to a 600w HID.. *cough* *cough* Come on J-Sun we should do it! this journal is going to kick ass i can tell already

Okay.., Update on the Sweet Tooth:

My germination recipe is nothing but a success. I am so for 2/4 with the Sweet tooth, as they have taken longer than normal to crack open, but once they do, damn they sure grow a serious taproot! Its also due to the recipe of beneficial bacteria introduced right from germination. The taproots are actually developing root hairs which are vital for nutrient uptake before they even go into the rockwool!

I looked at the taproot i had sown about 24 hours ago, and its well over an inch tall already!! I'm impressed! The second seed to crack, again, has developed root hairs already and is about to go into a 1.5" rockwool cube

heres the sprout!!:
GEDC06882.JPG
GEDC06891.JPG
GEDC06902.JPG
GEDC06911.JPG

I just need the other 2 seeds to crack and i am in business!!

Also, anyone following along to this journal is more than welcome to any of my journals..

COME ONE COME ALL!!

Just bring your own damn munchies okay!!!:thanks:

Nice looking Green. Did you square off some of the end's of the leaves on purpose?

Yes i did 2BLgL. When i take my cuttings, i trim the tips of any large fan leaf that is on the cutting. This is done for a few reasons, all with the same outcome basically, a new root system.

- Cutting the leaves causes the clone to transpire less, therefore the stem doesn't dry out and die before it roots.
- Cutting the leaf tips stops that leaf, and any leaf, from growing any bigger. This takes focus off growing leaves larger, and puts it into developing a root ball
- Plants use the leaves for Photosynthesis. by cutting the leaves, you are forcing the plant to not photosynthesize properly, in turn it grows more roots in search of more favourable conditions for the plant.
- On a side note, its a good indication of when you start to see new growth from your clones. No more cut leaf tips means your clone is growing happily.

Thanks for the question. Its been fun learning how to clone. I sure have learned A LOT about this plant and how to grow it over the last 6 months

Feels really nice to be able to give others helpful advice, when i was a fly on the wall, just sitting there observing and learning!!

Back
Top Bottom