Grow #2

I suggest that you cut that problematic branch off immediately and then treat your soil. I suspect that it is verticillium wilt.

From the web: Verticillium wilt is caused by a soil fungus called Verticillium dahliae. ... The fungus spreads into the branches through the plant's vascular system and simultaneously causes the plant cells to “plug” themselves. Once the xylem is infected, it becomes so plugged that water can no longer reach the leaves.

I suggest that you cut that problematic branch off immediately and then treat your soil. I suspect that it is verticillium wilt.

From the web: Verticillium wilt is caused by a soil fungus called Verticillium dahliae. ... The fungus spreads into the branches through the plant's vascular system and simultaneously causes the plant cells to “plug” themselves. Once the xylem is infected, it becomes so plugged that water can no longer reach the leaves.
@Emilya Okay I just got home and decided to cut off that branch. It hurt to do so but I did it, i also wrapped the wound with gardeners tapebeing clumsy I accidently put a small cut in the neighboring branch by mistake (sigh) so I wrapped the cut with gardeners tape too and let it be.

You recommended that I treat my soil aswell? How might I do that? Could watering while hot out promote this fungus grow?

I will say with relief when I went to pull the brnach off after cutting it. It popped out of the main stems socket really easily. Im hoping it's not a soil issue and is just a matter of a branch splitting a little bit. But will still treat it, jist don't know how.

Thank you for the reply!!!

20200711_171606.jpg
20200711_171559.jpg

15945132990604635048066758610239.jpg

I would have your soil tested to see if for sure you have this fungus. If so it is very hard to get rid of and the best methods involve solarization or heating up of the soil... even steam treating it or dumping hot water on it. Of course you cant do this during an active grow, but definitely get the soil analyzed so you know for sure what is going on. If this is the correct diagnosis, it will happen again maybe in different areas of the garden. Unfortunately high alkaline soils and soils fertilized with a lot of nitrates are most susceptible to this.

I would have your soil tested to see if for sure you have this fungus. If so it is very hard to get rid of and the best methods involve solarization or heating up of the soil... even steam treating it or dumping hot water on it. Of course you cant do this during an active grow, but definitely get the soil analyzed so you know for sure what is going on. If this is the correct diagnosis, it will happen again maybe in different areas of the garden. Unfortunately high alkaline soils and soils fertilized with a lot of nitrates are most susceptible to this.
Okay, they are all in smart pots and will probably just wait this one out then if there is no cure then and pray that maybe a bug just kinda nibbled on that branch in the wrong spot. I know this soil has high nitrogen in it so that worries me, however it sounds like the only real thing I can do is wait it out and see what happens. So far the rest of the plant looks super healthy and ima pray tonight that it stays like that through harvest cause I'm very excited about this palnt and would be devastated if it died. But if it does, then I still have 3 more as backup, and thats life.

Regardless if it has that uncureable disease or not I think snipping the branch and praying is my best bet rn lol.

I may still pick up a soil kit just for S&G to see if it does or not, but will most likly just wait it out tbh. Thank you for the replys! :)

let me know, please, cause it is super weird to have one branch act up like that, but this fungus is known for that, or taking out one side of a plant, leaving the other perfectly healthy.
I defiantly will!! And you'll be the first to hear the results, Ill look up where I can get some soil test kits. I presume just my normal grow store or hydroponics store I'd guess.

I defiantly will!! And you'll be the first to hear the results, Ill look up where I can get some soil test kits. I presume just my normal grow store or hydroponics store I'd guess.
I dont think you can buy a test kit in a store to tell. They usually test only PH,N,P or K.

You can have a soil test performed by collecting a sample and sending it off in the mail to your local lab. One guy on this site paid 500$ for his soil test in Calif.

I dont think you can buy a test kit in a store to tell. They usually test only PH,N,P or K.

You can have a soil test performed by collecting a sample and sending it off in the mail to your local lab. One guy on this site paid 500$ for his soil test in Calif.
Ouch, if that's the case I might just have to wait this one out and see what happens. Ima just pray the plant pulls through then and it was just the one branch being effected.

Thanks for the reply! :)

I hope im wrong and there is a test you can buy.

Sounds like this fungus just wants to play Gov tax collector and destroy a portion of your plant. Hopefully it will leave you alone now.

If it were a mold or mildew, I would say use 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1 part to 2 parts water. 10min of hydrogen peroxide contact will kill most molds and mildew.

Vs like 1hr of 70% isopropyl alcohol. Tho I would never dump alcohol in a plant. You can use it to treat mold in a shower or basement walls. Etc.

I hope im wrong and there is a test you can buy.

Sounds like this fungus just wants to play Gov tax collector and destroy a portion of your plant. Hopefully it will leave you alone now.

If it were a mold or mildew, I would say use 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1 part to 2 parts water. 10min of hydrogen peroxide contact will kill most molds and mildew.

Vs like 1hr of 70% isopropyl alcohol. Tho I would never dump alcohol in a plant. You can use it to treat mold in a shower or basement walls. Etc.
I've been looking but no it looks like your right, most places you have to send em to special labs that around about 199 minimum I can find. Im hoping it jjst decides to leave the plant alone from here on out. Everything else is still looking healthy. So I'm hoping that's that lol. If it continues I may try that hydrogen peroxide mix. But I think if it continues I may just have to bite the bullet on this one. But its still growing on the daily everywhere else on the plant so ima just keep my prayers up lol.

I would do what @Emilya said and dump boiling water on it. Maybe have a bonfire in that spot. Or coals from a fire?

What I suggested only works for mold and mildew as I underatand it. Or peroxide can oxygenate roots on a overwatered plant??

Id stick it out with that plant tho. The plant might win and kick that fungus' ass. These plants are fighters. If there is a chance to harvest anything you have to let it go.

1 measily branch isnt gonna slow her down. Lets hope its a her. Do we know its a she?

I would do what @Emilya said and dump boiling water on it. Maybe have a bonfire in that spot. Or coals from a fire?

What I suggested only works for mold and mildew as I underatand it. Or peroxide can oxygenate roots on a overwatered plant??

Id stick it out with that plant tho. The plant might win and kick that fungus' ass. These plants are fighters. If there is a chance to harvest anything you have to let it go.

1 measily branch isnt gonna slow her down. Lets hope its a her. Do we know its a she?
I thought she said that you couldn't do that with the plant growing in the soil still. But youre right on that one. It's oy one branch. Im really gunna just hope I was sloppy when watering and knocked the beanch loose with the hose or something like that, that's. . . . . . Less detrimental :rip: lol.

But oh yes, all 4 are she's, all 4 have been P.I.D as female plants thankfully :)

You cant light a fire there with the plant there either.

Step 1 finish plant.
Step 2 harvest
Step 3 boiling water/fire/prayer/voodoo ritual

And actually, prayer should probably be on every step...
Not without the neighbors getting the munchies at least lol. And I might just do that if I save the soil. We're moving at the end of this year so I may end up throwing away most of the soil when its all said and done and buy new next year. But who know voodoo ritual sounds pretty fun to me hahaha. :Rasta::hookah:

Grow update day 77

I found a place that will test my soil however they charge close to 150 dollars for small testing sample and thats about the same price that I paid to fill 3 of those pots with soil so I think I'm going to skip it, however, the plant has been thriving with no signs of wilting branches so thats a good sign to me!

I water by sticking my hose through my cage and im thinking/hoping I got sloppy and knocked the branch loose because the plant is back to its normal self growing like a champ.

The other 3 plants are doing Amazing aswell, they are definatly at the point where they need water on the daily now, they get very wilty by day 2 . It almost looks like they want more fertalizer however I think I'm going to wait on that and see, cause I'm guess some of the yellowish leaves (very small amount of them) are just due to the thick canopy and low light penetration to those leaves.

All of the plants are beginning to emit their own beautiful aromas, and getting taller and thicker by the day! I havent had any signs of the plants switching into flower yet here in the West Coast in Central California. I presume they will begin their flowering process very late July if not mid August, but around the beginning of August I get about 13.5 hours of light and i think that'll be enough to switch them out here.

Other than that nothing new to report, so thanks for reading, and happy growing!!

20200716_132254.jpg
20200716_132238.jpg
20200716_130948.jpg

- Zach

There is no reason to test your soil. Up on pallets there is no way they could be in your soil. I agree with you. Someone bumped it. For all you know a cat or squirrel did it.

Glad its no problem.

Welp, kinda stressed out now. The same plant has received another wilty branch. And I mean severly wilty. The branch was perfect yesterday and last night. And today bam, wilted as could be :( I watered 2 days ago and watered them again heavily as im typing this. I'll give the branch a day or 2 to see if it will recover. I know for fact this time I did not bump the branch and brake it, so im curious if maybe the plant began to run out of water and that was the first part to show. Idk. But im playing the waiting game again now. Cross my fingers this brmach makes it. Cause its a big branch. :(

20200723_132232.jpg
20200723_132227.jpg

Thanks for reading and happy growing.

Back
Top Bottom