Grow room build round three: Full environment control and no compromises

One of the healthiest plants I have ever grown from seed was a Huck Kush male. He was in a 1 gallon pot for MONTHS without skipping a beat! He had amazing structure and smelt better in veg than most females do in flower. I had to ax him and regret it. He would have been a stud I am sure.

Yea if he was stinky and that resilient he probably would of been a good one. There’s still a lot I need to learn about breeding properly it’s something I really want to get into even with the limited amount of plants I can run if I start with the proper parents I might be able to get something worth hanging onto. I ordered some cherry queen f1s on ace along with a pack of the hashplant s1s last night and I think I got some freebie old timer haze coming. My goal is to make a nice cherry spicy haze out of that cherry queen and one of the various haze strains I have depending one which one has the best high. A couple A5 x Panama got gifted to me by a good friend today which might go very well with it but want to wait for the room to be ready and stable to start them. Don’t want to risk them on a bad env not even for a day <3

It's nice seeing the Bubba baby pics. Who knew that girl would be so damn good. I've got another big one ready to flip, I can never have enough of that on hand.
I had a 3rd version on Golden Tiger 3 weeks into flower before I caught it was male. That dude had such tight clusters it looked like a female until I took some pics for an update and saw it was a dude. It was in back so I didn't notice right away. That was a super healthy plant, I was bummed. I'll try again next seed drop, this new version is more Thai dominate.

Haha right. She was such a lucky find considering I only bought a five pack of seeds and that was before I got my germination routine down pat and only 1 of the five sprouted. I forgot how velvety and soft the dried flowers on it not sure I if I have ever had any other bud that feels like that. Considering that NL cut you grew is considered by a lot of people to be the best indica there is and you think the bubba is better well thats all there really is to say about that lol

Sitting here :passitleft: on it after all this time I have to say I don't disagree!

Speaking of germinating, After having issues with the normal paper towel method and the normal soaking for x hours or until it sinks methods and soil germinating being kinda slow and iffy I came up with a merger of the two that I have almost perfect success with. If it's a viable seed it should germ this way every time.

My modified version of the wet paper towel method with a quick soak :)
Soak seeds for 6 hours in RO or pure water with no chlorine / chloramine, don't worry about the ph just buy a little bottle of purified water if you don't have anyway to purify tap water.

Fold a few paper towels up and poor some water on one side of it wetting enough area for the amount of seeds you have and place the seeds on the towel, don't try and wet the entire half if you don't need to place seeds on all of it and leave the other half dry and then fold it over the top of the seeds letting the excess water in the first half wet the other half. If the towels are still overly wet fold up a couple more and put them on the top or bottom to help soak up some of it and place the towels with the seeds into a gallon ziplock bag. The seeds already soaked for six hours which should provide them enough to germinate so the water in the towels is just to keep the seeds moist while they do their thing over the next day, don't drown them! Place the ziplock bag inside a dark place with temps in the 70-75 degree range, I like to use a brown paper bag and place it right in the grow room where the temps are already correct, well currently they are I will have to find a new spot probably once this room is up and running with the C02 I think plants will grow better with ~5 degrees warmer env or something like that its been a while since I have looked into growing with c02 also.

20-24 hours later carefully take them out and check if the seeds to have started putting out tails or cracked open. I plant them into soil about an inch below surface as soon as the tails start to show up ideally when they're still short like this or shorter, if you can get them as soon as they crack and you can just see a little tip thats even better. This was right around 24 hours after going in the paper towels but the exact time varies on the seeds.

Ace, Purple Haze x Malawi
IMG_1985.jpg

Yeah in a sealed environment you might need a dehumidifier, it's good you have an aircon which can do it all.

What are your leds like for flowering? I bought some second hand 300w leds (130w draw) and they aren't very good at growing compared to a hps.

Which kind? Do they have proper spectrum, you can have tons of watts if you don't have the right spectrum you still won't have good results. I grew some monster sized buds with the original 5w mars hydro lights but I had a couple of them go bad early and when they did they were hot and im already paranoid of a grow room fire so I changed them out to the platinums which I think had a more full spectrum and were growing slightly more potent bud than the mars but you could tell mars chips had that extra power in the size of the final buds. I think I used to run 2 p300s on a single big plant when I was growing really big plants in 25 gal pots and a single one on smaller more normal sized plants and had good results but I would of liked to have had more light I just didn't have the ac to keep up with anymore.

My old setup had (I think :passitleft: ) a platinum p600 along with 2 or three p300s in the flower tent and a p300 and two 3x48W marsHydro reflector series for the veg tent. Depending on how much my humidifier still needs to run in the sealed room and if I don't use the tent for either my flower or veg area I might be investing in one or maybe even two of platinum's big waterproof R1150, it uses 725watts and has a listed core coverage of 5'x5' which seems pretty legit based on how its laid out but its pretty pricey. They claim it replaces 1500w of HPS and it's a 40"x40" square that looks like it has 4 rows of lights attached to a main spine which spreads the diodes out some instead of them all being in a small footprint light and trying to beam it all around. I haven't done any real research on lights for a few years now so I don't really know what the latest and greatest is or what the best setup for the money is anymore but I really like the idea of being able to run my hydrofogger without worrying about shorting out the lights. Anyone have any recommendations for waterproof LED setups that don't cost a fortune. I was also thinking it might be fun to mix in a HPS or two with the LEDs I already have instead assuming the fogger doesn't need to run enough to be an issue.

Yea if he was stinky and that resilient he probably would of been a good one. There’s still a lot I need to learn about breeding properly it’s something I really want to get into even with the limited amount of plants I can run if I start with the proper parents I might be able to get something worth hanging onto. I ordered some cherry queen f1s on ace along with a pack of the hashplant s1s last night and I think I got some freebie old timer haze coming. My goal is to make a nice cherry spicy haze out of that cherry queen and one of the various haze strains I have depending one which one has the best high. A couple A5 x Panama got gifted to me by a good friend today which might go very well with it but want to wait for the room to be ready and stable to start them. Don’t want to risk them on a bad env not even for a day <3
Yeah I had no where to let the male dump pollen without seeding everything and it was just ttoo much of a hassle to make work. Cherry haze sounds like a winning combo. Dopylemontree is running a cherry cookie haze at the moment that sounds very nice. The A5xPanama is something I want to see grown out. Everyone that has grown the A5xMalawi has loved it.

If you want the latest info on lighting there is a good DIY thread. @Graytail is great source of info too. He loves his homemade Quantum boards. He can tell you what you need for your space and you'll get about double the light for the money vs. paying retail. When I upgrade I will be going to the boards.

Thanks bud i'll check that out.

Yeah I had no where to let the male dump pollen without seeding everything and it was just ttoo much of a hassle to make work. Cherry haze sounds like a winning combo. Dopylemontree is running a cherry cookie haze at the moment that sounds very nice. The A5xPanama is something I want to see grown out. Everyone that has grown the A5xMalawi has loved it.

Yeah I feel you on the pollen dumping issue thats what prevented me from doing it last time too. I'm very excited for the A5 x Panama grow. Panama was a fantastic strain when I grew it the only sativa I have grown I liked more was a Tikal and the A5 is just legendary and im a total sucker for the old school strains that started a lot of the different crosses we have today :)

Got some progress done on the room today, they're supposed to be coming back with the electrician tomorrow and to put the insulation in and drywall the outsides of the walls. :goodjob: Looks like they ordered me the wrong AC I was trying to get the more efficient one but this will do and they're doing me a huge favor helping with all of this so I didn't even say anything.

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg
IMG_1991.jpg
IMG_1992.jpg

Made a little bit of progress today the Electrition came to figure out what he needs to get and is coming back Saturday morning weather permitting to install the electrical and hook most of the ac up. The c02 system and carbon scrubber showed up and I’m about to go tape up some seams. Oh yea I had the first visit from the Neighboor asking what I was building in my garage... lol Have a good night all :passitleft:

Looks good man! Fill that unit up

Thanks and no doubt the babies are starting to get kinda big for the closet... I'll try and get some pics of them up tomorrow.

A couple pics of the new gear and my amazing taping and mud skills on the drywall lol

IMG_2002.jpg
IMG_2003.jpg
IMG_2004.jpg

Thanks everyone! I am getting really excited to get this thing fired up. Living here in the desert it's really hard to run a non sealed room and keep the params right so when I decided to grow again it was the only option. I didn't hear from the guys today, hope they're ok I sent them home with a J of Zamaldelica x Ethiopian with lots of warnings not to smoke the whole thing at once etc because they don't smoke regularly. Guess I should of waited till they got the work finished first... Just got done slapping a second coat of mud on the walls, its crazy how much that stuff shrinks up so I really slapped it on this time :)

A couple pics of the babies, sorry for the poor quality they don't have a night time yet and are in a bedroom closet so it's not easy to get good shots of them. The RH maxes out at 30% right now and runs around 26% most of the time so im sure they will be much happier once they get in their new home...

Malawis x PCK on left and ? strain on right. It's not visible in the picture but one of the purple haze x malawi's popped up today just in time to say hi to everyone :)
IMG_2009.jpg

Malawi x PCK , this is the short one in the front left of the group in the above pic. I'm assuming it will be a PCK dom pheno based on how short and squatty it is
IMG_2007.jpg

Face on Fire OG I think or purple trainwreck, was bag seed from dispensary. They were both great strains so im cool with it being either lol. They are going to be eaters, they got a little unhappy when I still had them in solo cups before I got my new kit and got them some tea brix and GE. Considering the soil was a couple years old I really should of ordered a new kit sooner to re-activate the microbes as soon as I gave it to them they took off and got happy again.
IMG_2008.jpg

I didn't hear from the guys today, hope they're ok I sent them home with a J of Zamaldelica x Ethiopian with lots of warnings not to smoke the whole thing at once etc because they don't smoke regularly. Guess I should of waited till they got the work finished first...

Hahahaha! I'll be interested to hear what they had to say when they do show up.

Hey Smokey! Wondering what you told your neighbor you were building? I've been growing for 3 years or so and have only told 1 friend who popped by unexpectedly so I had to explain what the big tent was doing in the middle of the room. I love and trust my friends of 30 years and want to tell them and brag about the stuff I grow but feel it's better to keep it to myself. Not sure if that will change with new laws or not....!? Its medicinal here now with rec on the way.

Plants are looking good especially considering the low rh. :high-five:

Hey Smokey! Wondering what you told your neighbor you were building? I've been growing for 3 years or so and have only told 1 friend who popped by unexpectedly so I had to explain what the big tent was doing in the middle of the room. I love and trust my friends of 30 years and want to tell them and brag about the stuff I grow but feel it's better to keep it to myself. Not sure if that will change with new laws or not....!? Its medicinal here now with rec on the way.
Plants are looking good especially considering the low rh. :high-five:

Thanks, I told him it was a workshop and of course he's like oh your handy and like to build stuff and im like well no it's mostly for the wife :p I'm pretty sure he blazes so once I know for sure I'll share and then just show it to him. I was much more secret last time around and it was kind of annoying. I work from home and pretty much never leave the house, between the dogs, cameras, alarms and guns the only thing someone is going to get if they break in here is shot so im not all that much worried about it.

Check our the fluence bml lights. Also diy cobs and quantum boards have been doing really well. Just takes a little patience and time to learn how to build them. I am doing a similar build but mine is in a shed. I will make a post once it is getting close to finish.
Thanks are those fluence and quantum boards using 1w chips? The fluence boards say to keep 6" away from plants which probably wont work for me I have had plants grow that much in a single day before :)

Me too I don't think they tried it yet, will let you know once they do im sure they will be o_O

Electrition came yesterday and discovered I had a breaker that wasn't being used we didn't know about so im getting a dedicated 20amp circuit ran to the room just for my lights. I also have access to a 15 and a 20amp line in the room that doesn't have much on it but I don't want to load them up then not be able to run a vacum in the garage or something without worrying about tripping breakers. He got the majority of the wiring done for the mini split and needs to come back to finish it and run the new circuit since we didn't know it was available. I was also able to light proof the garage door which is awesome and opens up the possibility of growing directly in the room without a tent if I end up going that way. I also talked the wife into getting her card again so I don't have to worry about plant limits will be able to have 24 going at a time legally, custom crosses here I come :cool:

Couple pics of the work that got done.
Elec boxes for the inside ac and dedicated circuit.
IMG_2012.jpg

Tail for my dedicated outlet and box where the elec comes in for inside ac unit. The garage door opener rails are getting cut off after the part the supports the top of the door so they wont be in the way and im going to take the actual opener down. Im past the point of ever trying to revert this back to a garage space if I ever sell the house I will sell it as a 2 car garage with an AC'd workshop which would be a great feature for lots of buyers in vegas, most people use the third bay as a work area or storage anyway.
IMG_2013.jpg

Conduit to run the elec for the inside ac unit and the circuit.
IMG_2014.jpg

It ain't pretty but not a single photon is making it through all that foam....
IMG_2015.jpg

Haha!:rofl: he's probably got his own grow operation!

:passitleft:
Haha right he’s probably watching this thread and loling his ass off... if he smokes he won’t need to steal from me anyway I am generous with my neighbors and friends :)

Was just talking to him and asked him if he tried it yet.

"I did I couldn't go to bed lol"

"I was high as shit from just one hit"

"I got 31 kills in COD!!!"

was the response lol. Im glad he listened to my warning and didn't just blaze it down before knowing what hit him. He has zero tolerance and barely ever smokes so he probably would of been calling me up like wtf is happening to me ahhhhhh lol :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom