Growing autos outdoor in AZ

Taafan4life2021

420 Member
So I used to grow indoors but I don’t have the room this time around so I’m looking to do outdoor. I’m looking to to 24 autos this season 12 plants each go around but living in a hot part of az in Glendale I’m trying to start early in the season to avoid the high temperatures since autos grow pretty quick. My question if I start my grows in late march or early April the temps are decent around 80 degrees during the day but my only concern is the nights drop around 52-55 is this going to be to cold for them to thrive? I did some photos last season that did pretty well but I’ve never grown autos outdoors.

Those night temps will slow them up a little, but nothing too drastic, certainly not a deal killer. You'll have around 12 hrs. sun/day at that time, so you won't get real big plants (for autos). I have grown autos outdoors, but in July August, they were considerable smaller than the indoor autos, which were under 20/4 lighting.

You got dogs ? Being in Glendale I would worry about someone stealing my crop. I'm in El Mirage. There's a girl on here who grows Auto's here in AZ. I just can't place her name at the moment... but when I do I'll tag her. She's got the Outdoor Auto thing down pretty good. I'll look at the contest pages as I know she won a couple a few months ago.
By the way, Welcome to 420 Mag !

Those night temps will slow them up a little, but nothing too drastic, certainly not a deal killer. You'll have around 12 hrs. sun/day at that time, so you won't get real big plants (for autos). I have grown autos outdoors, but in July August, they were considerable smaller than the indoor autos, which were under 20/4
So would it be better to start them a little later in the season for results?

You got dogs ? Being in Glendale I would worry about someone stealing my crop. I'm in El Mirage. There's a girl on here who grows Auto's here in AZ. I just can't place her name at the moment... but when I do I'll tag her. She's got the Outdoor Auto thing down pretty good. I'll look at the contest pages as I know she won a couple a few months ago.
By the way, Welcome to 420 Mag !
Yeah I have three dogs and they are not very friendly to people they don’t know you wanna jump over my 6 foot wall and find out by all means lol. I also have security cameras around my property as well. I’d be interested in any information that’s helpful especially if it’s in Arizona. As I’m pretty new to growing in the valley in general.

Welcome to 420 Mag!

I have grown a few outdoor autos and can probably share a couple things I learned.

Shade your buckets - they will get hot!

It may not apply to a winter grow in Az, but it’s a good idea to provide a bit of shade relief at the peak midday temps - it helps with VPD.

Towels suspended into buckets near your plants will help increase your humidity - also about VPD.

You probably want to reduce the concentration of your nutrient mix since the plants will be drinking so much.

Hope this helps.
:passitleft:

So would it be better to start them a little later in the season for results?
Because of your heat issues April might have to be it, maybe even earlier unless they’re real fast autos. Optimally, you’d be better off starting in early May, to take advantage of the longer days (bigger growth). However, in thinking about it the heat issues seem overriding. if you start in early April, they could still be flowering in late July. For summer grows there are strains that handle heat fairly well.

This is the gal who lives in AZ. who does outdoor Auto's. @Tommboy1973 are you still around ? We could use your experience.

So I used to grow indoors but I don’t have the room this time around so I’m looking to do outdoor. I’m looking to to 24 autos this season 12 plants each go around but living in a hot part of az in Glendale I’m trying to start early in the season to avoid the high temperatures since autos grow pretty quick. My question if I start my grows in late march or early April the temps are decent around 80 degrees during the day but my only concern is the nights drop around 52-55 is this going to be to cold for them to thrive? I did some photos last season that did pretty well but I’ve never grown autos outdoors.
Hey @Taafan4life2021 hope you are well.
Trade you this snow for your heat. :laugh: :rofl:
Welcome my friend.
:popcorn:

Stay safe
Bill

If heat is an issue, wouldn't it be far better to plant in the ground?
Heya TS! Howzit?

I think it’s a great idea - unless portability of the plants is part of the plan. In my case, I like to move them around when they are small to catch the sun as it changes. But when they get big enough to require cages, the buckets might as well be in a hole.

You'd love it right now. Been in 70's & 80's all winter.... so far. Night temps in the 50's.

It's still Autumn.

Heya TS! Howzit?

I think it’s a great idea - unless portability of the plants is part of the plan. In my case, I like to move them around when they are small to catch the sun as it changes. But when they get big enough to require cages, the buckets might as well be in a hole.

I forgot that people sometimes move their plants for reasons other than guerrilla farming. Wondered if some of the conditions were like they are here - a lot of rock, and "drainage" sometimes appearing to be largely theoretical.

Wondered if some of the conditions were like they are here - a lot of rock, and "drainage" sometimes appearing to be largely theoretical.
There’s that as well. I have sandstone about a foot below my backyard. Last time my wife wanted me to plant a rose, I had to rent a jackhammer.

This is the gal who lives in AZ. who does outdoor Auto's. @Tommboy1973 are you still around ? We could use your experience.
I’m still here! :reading420magazine:Just not around every day anymore since I’m taking a break after my summer grow.

I started my second batch autos at the end of February and they finished up early June. I’d say that was about perfect for me, right before the major heat hit. I may try popping some seeds closer to early and mid Feb this year as well just to experiment.

I did protect the seedlings at night with frost cloth and old fashioned Xmas lights, also provided some extra light when very young with a full spectrum grow bulb I got off Amazon.

I am about an hour south of Phoenix, pretty far outside town on dirt roads so I believe it gets a lot cooler out here at night without all the pavement.

There’s that as well. I have sandstone about a foot below my backyard. Last time my wife wanted me to plant a rose, I had to rent a jackhammer.
I feel ya! We have caliche here that forms an impenetrable layer under the soil, like cement basically. Also takes a jackhammer, or a lot of work with something called a caliche bar.

Back
Top Bottom