Has anyone tried the lux meter pro app?

Searching the webs on various things I came across this app "Lux meter pro". I tried it a few locations in the tent and got some readings that seem to be accurate as far as my product manufacture claims it puts out. It uses the sensor in the screen to give reading and shows 1(light from screen) in a closet with no light. Just wondering if this would be useful for myself and/or others.

Hiya - thanks for the tag
Personally no, I don't think there is much use in measuring light levels, it kind of is what it is
I don't do growing by numbers (ppfd, EC, ppm and all that guff), the plants will tell me if they are not happy
I suppose it would be interesting to play with at first, but of little consequence I suspect

Hiya - thanks for the tag
Personally no, I don't think there is much use in measuring light levels, it kind of is what it is
I don't do growing by numbers (ppfd, EC, ppm and all that guff), the plants will tell me if they are not happy
I suppose it would be interesting to play with at first, but of little consequence I suspect
Yea I was curious and downloaded.. I don't understand the light measurements prolly never will but my thinking was I could set phone inside tent and see how much light is leaking if any....since I already know that it is 1 from screen light and is about 10,000-11,000 at window sill.

Searching the webs on various things I came across this app "Lux meter pro". I tried it a few locations in the tent and got some readings that seem to be accurate as far as my product manufacture claims it puts out. It uses the sensor in the screen to give reading and shows 1(light from screen) in a closet with no light. Just wondering if this would be useful for myself and/or others.
Good morning my friend.
I had a real light meter that I used probably once a week in the flower rooms.
But I've read the aps on the phone that do it are not 100% accurate.
So as a rough guide it wouldn't hurt but I would not take it as gospel.
As @Growings said, watching how your girls are reacting and understanding their needs will be your best bet for now.

Stay safe
Bill

Yea I was curious and downloaded.. I don't understand the light measurements prolly never will but my thinking was I could set phone inside tent and see how much light is leaking if any....since I already know that it is 1 from screen light.
If your concerned about light leaks turn off the light outside the tent.
Any leaks will be apparent.

Stay safe
Bill

I actually went and bought a lux meter from the 'Zon for my 1st grow. I use it now at seedling stage for when I first turn the light on.
Aside from that I rarely use it, as I try to crank my light to 100% as quickly as they will tolerate.

Without a meter- just check the manufacturer for a starting point. Then let the plants dictate from there as Growings and Bill suggested.

Yea I by no means would trust a free app as indefinite lol but I have alot of light in my apartment so there is rarely a time when it's pitch black to see if tent dark or not....that's why I'm concerned as I just decided to switch my main to 12/12 and I do not want another mishap like my last one. So I figured set phone inside run c-class to HDMI through one of the ports, and plug to laptop so I can see what the screen reads with out opening tent or allowing light in.

Yea I by no means would trust a free app as indefinite lol but I have alot of light in my apartment so there is rarely a time when it's pitch black to see if tent dark or not....that's why I'm concerned as I just decided to switch my main to 12/12 and I do not want another mishap like my last one. So I figured set phone inside run c-class to HDMI through one of the ports, and plug to laptop so I can see what the screen reads with out opening tent or allowing light in.
Turn the lights off and zip up the tent while standing inside.
If you can see you have a leak.
If your blind then the girls are good.

Stay safe
Bill

Turn the lights off and zip up the tent while standing inside.
If you can see you have a leak.
If your blind then the girls are good.

Stay safe
Bill
Ok I will have my girl zip me up later tonight...hopefully I don't p her off on accident through out the day so she lets me out.

Personally I like knowing what my light levels are across the canopy.
Its pretty hard to tell the difference between 1400 PPFD vs 900 PPFD by eyeballing it.

A simple LUX meter is useful if you are using white light and not blurple.
Then convert LUX to PPFD.
Is there a link you can send me to look into that please?

lux meters and apps are fine. neither really tell you exactly whats going on from a plant perspective. ppfd is the new hip way to measure, but that doesn't really capture it all either.

i had to work with lux meters and in par etc when i worked with lighting. no one ever really got it with led when it came in. it honestly doesn't measure the same, has less spill and fall off, is much more directional, has greater throw, and is far more intense within it's beam, over conventional par or hid fixtures.

i don't bother with it at all for growing. after a grow or two neither does anyone who has the toys.

it's really the plants that'll tell you if it's too much / too little. shoot for too much and back off a touch with dimming.

as far as light leaks .. do it room in room and never worry. none of my spaces are light tight. i help it as much as i can but it will never be great. so i just double room, let both be as they are, and never worry.

loads of folk do it this way. i just don't have issues unless they are genetic.

lux meters and apps are fine. neither really tell you exactly whats going on from a plant perspective. ppfd is the new hip way to measure, but that doesn't really capture it all either.

i had to work with lux meters and in par etc when i worked with lighting. no one ever really got it with led when it came in. it honestly doesn't measure the same, has less spill and fall off, is much more directional, has greater throw, and is far more intense within it's beam, over conventional par or hid fixtures.

i don't bother with it at all for growing. after a grow or two neither does anyone who has the toys.

it's really the plants that'll tell you if it's too much / too little. shoot for too much and back off a touch with dimming.

as far as light leaks .. do it room in room and never worry. none of my spaces are light tight. i help it as much as i can but it will never be great. so i just double room, let both be as they are, and never worry.

loads of folk do it this way. i just don't have issues unless they are genetic.
I've been getting stressed due to my other going Hermie from what I assume is a light leak issue... And reading here a few people talk about the LEDs from the power strips or after glow from leds could cause issues. So I'm just a nervous.

I've been getting stressed due to my other going Hermie from what I assume is a light leak issue... And reading here a few people talk about the LEDs from the power strips or after glow from leds could cause issues. So I'm just a nervous.

you don't want a power strip light or any other direct source going in the space 24/7. it's not hard to tape over or paint them. some grow specific equipment comes with green led indicators which do not interfere. i wouldn't even bother. tape / paint is cheaper.

most times hermies are a result of unstable genetics. your job is just to eliminate the obvious sources. if your tent is set up in a room, that room should be on the same or similar light schedule as the tent. easy peasy.

I taped over all of the lights in my grow tent. Lucky I have a camera in the tent, though, because I was able to review the 'dark' period and see some that I missed. I was able to use a bit more tape and get rid of all light during the dark period. I still review the camera footage occasionally, though, just to make sure there is NO light in the tent :) I really love those Wyze cameras.

you don't want a power strip light or any other direct source going in the space 24/7. it's not hard to tape over or paint them. some grow specific equipment comes with green led indicators which do not interfere. i wouldn't even bother. tape / paint is cheaper.

most times hermies are a result of unstable genetics. your job is just to eliminate the obvious sources. if your tent is set up in a room, that room should be on the same or similar light schedule as the tent. easy peasy.
Will tape anything that has a light thank you.. and the tent is in my room...so when I wake at 630 am the lights will go on and then off at 630 pm, no one in the household uses the room except to sleep so we're good on the light schedule for room.

I taped over all of the lights in my grow tent. Lucky I have a camera in the tent, though, because I was able to review the 'dark' period and see some that I missed. I was able to use a bit more tape and get rid of all light during the dark period. I still review the camera footage occasionally, though, just to make sure there is NO light in the tent :) I really love those Wyze cameras.
Thank you I'll look into a wyze camera or a similar type at least. I'm in my tent 2-3 times a day so if I had the camera I would leave it closed and check from a screen.

Will tape anything that has a light thank you.. and the tent is in my room...so when I wake at 630 am the lights will go on and then off at 630 pm, no one in the household uses the room except to sleep so we're good on the light schedule for room.

you don't have to worry about being extremely strict either. if you have to turn a light on in the main room for a while to work it's fine. it's the constant sources throughout the dark period that'll screw it.

if you saw my set ups you'd know.

the stuff evolved under stars and moonlight. just tamper the direct sources and stop puckering. it'll be great. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Personally I like knowing what my light levels are across the canopy.
Its pretty hard to tell the difference between 1400 PPFD vs 900 PPFD by eyeballing it.

Is there a simple accurate way to convert?

Back
Top Bottom