Have I killed my girls?

Well I mean I don't speak from experience but I would cut them down now. Better to have an early crop than no crop. If the buds die on the stem you might not be able to tell until you see signs of mold and rot, so I don't think it's worth the risk. Unless someone can say I am totally wrong and they'd finish put risk free, I think you should look at the risk vs reward. Risk is no crop, reward is cloudy/amber trichomes. In my opinion clear trichomes aren't the worse thing to have, you'll have a nice stash if mellower clear-eyed stuff.

Whoa! This happened to me once when my a/c broke on me in the middle of summer. First and foremost you should trim off all dead leaf. This is only going to bring other problems if you dont. At that point I would not add anything but water and that's only if the soil is dry. What is in the soil and what have you been feeding. What are your room temps? what is the strain and what day are you on in flower?
Thanks for the replies, the girls are both royal queen seeds from my last trip to Amsterdam ones a special queen and the other ones either a white widow or a fruit spirit,
growing in soil and I've been using canna nutes I'm around 7/8 weeks into flower which is recommend by them as 7 to 9 weeks.
Room temps had been pretty steady all the way through 68 - 85 degrees but as I said it was hot while I was away and max temps in room was 104 but don't know how long it was at that temp for, temps yesterday were around 92 so I left doors open on temp to try to bring them down.

Think I'll just take off the dead leaves today and give them plain water and see how they go for a day or so,

Would I be right thinking that not much worse could happen if I have killed them already? And if not the trichs will turn more cloudy?

So after your replies I spent my time worrying about the girls, I decided that I wasn't going to risk keeping them going for another week,

I did some reading about dark period at the end of flowering and how it can help increase trichome production and maturity which seemed like it could possibly help finish them off.

Maybe I made a rash decision, but I unplugged the lights after bed time last night and thought I'd leave them til either Sunday or Monday night before chopping them

Can anyone see if this would be beneficial or am I making a big mistake?

Sent from my SM-G900F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

So after your replies I spent my time worrying about the girls, I decided that I wasn't going to risk keeping them going for another week,

I did some reading about dark period at the end of flowering and how it can help increase trichome production and maturity which seemed like it could possibly help finish them off.

Maybe I made a rash decision, but I unplugged the lights after bed time last night and thought I'd leave them til either Sunday or Monday night before chopping them

Can anyone see if this would be beneficial or am I making a big mistake?

As I read the posts, my thoughts were to do exactly this. If you are a week from harvest I would give them 24-48 hours of dark.....no water.... and go ahead and chop. Most of those leaves will not perk back up and it would take longer than your remaining week to get the girl building again.

Edit: Before I chop, I withhold water and extra 1-2 days before placing them into dark for 48 hours. I think having less water in the plant helps the dry go a bit better with less babysitting.

As I read the posts, my thoughts were to do exactly this. If you are a week from harvest I would give them 24-48 hours of dark.....no water.... and go ahead and chop. Most of those leaves will not perk back up and it would take longer than your remaining week to get the girl building again.

Edit: Before I chop, I withhold water and extra 1-2 days before placing them into dark for 48 hours. I think having less water in the plant helps the dry go a bit better with less babysitting.
I'm glad my idea wasn't pure madness!

But I was wondering will not withholding water make a difference? I ask this as I each pot was standing in a 50 liter tub full of perlite which I refilled with water on my return from holiday, I have just taken the perlite out so the pots are not able to take any more water.

Would I be best thinking about extending the dark period as far as 72 hours or would this possibly have an adverse effect?

I did a chop last night after having 2 in dark for 56 hours and I did not notice a difference. I don't know if 72 hours would cause a problem or not. If it were me, I would stick with the 48.

I think you will be just fine putting recently watered into darkness, I've done it, just make sure they can breathe. Like don't put them under a overturned plastic garbage can with no ventilation (I learn from my mistakes :) )

Cheers, I've left the extraction fan on and desk fans for air circulation so they can breathe, just checked temps 78 and rh 60% in tent.
not sure if that'll be a problem but I turned a dehumidifier on in the room to try and reduce humidity so as not get any mold.
I cut a sample of the lower down bud today so I'll post a pic shortly for comparison when I finally harvest to see if trichome's change in color and quantity.

Hey there, sorry for the delay in updating.

I cut my first ever harvest a week ago so have been busy with all that comes with it, never put a thought to how much of a chore trimming them would be but my fingers are over the pain now!

As my previous posts show I gave my girls 48 hours of darkness before cutting them and although I've nothing to compare them to I feel glad that I did.

I managed to resist the temptation of sampling until last night having dryed them in the tent for 2 days then jarred then up until now.

I don't know whether it's cause I've been looking forward to smoking what I've grown since late January or cause I've been lucky but the fruits of my labour taste oh so sweet, lovely and smooth, could be stronger imo but seen as how bad I thought I'd messed, all on all I'm happy with the outcome!

I'd like to thank all the people who've posted on 420 mag as I've found this site invaluable in helping me getting through my first attempt at growing.

Fingers crossed I can get some denser buds on my next attempt and I'll be over the moon

Recovery from any large event like this might be done, but it would be a many-week process just to get them back to anything resembling alive... and they may not come back at all.
I'd suggest a slightly early harvest. Sure... you may not get the kind of high you originally were shooting for, but they sure look harvest ready to me.
Another thought... weakened plants can be a bug or mold magnet.
So, yeah, I'd recommend an immediate harvest.

Cheers tead, I cut them last week and they seem to be Drying nicely all in I got over 300g of buds from 2 plants and 3 buds on sticks so I'm pretty pleased.

Got them on jars curing and rh is between 66 and 73 dependant on jar size but I'll keep more of a check on them if they are more prone to mold

Someone recommended putting them in them as a way to water whilst I was away for a week, think it was called swicking?

Anyway I've now got 2, 50 liter buckets to make hempys with for my next attempt

... and 50L hempy buckets... WAY larger than anything I've seen or used.
I've been diggin some 2L hempy pots these days. My standard ones are 18L, and I can grow a plant in there that would overrun my grow area if I let them veg long enough.
I tried 5gal buckets for a while, but unless you're planning on growing a literal MJ tree, 5gal is probably a good bit of overkill for hempy pots.

I'll have a re think on the 50l hempy, just thought I could get some use out of them.

I do have a 20 l bucket and could try and get hold of another if you think that'd be more suitable,
as you're a fan of hempys would I be ok using canna coco as nutes? The guy in my hydroponics store told me that's what I should use

I'll have a re think on the 50l hempy
I would sure suggest that. The 20Ls seem quite sufficient. I see you're growing in a tent, so trees are out of the question.

would I be ok using canna coco as nutes?
I have no doubt that those are fine nutrients.
You're planning to grow in perlite apparently (I highly recommend this medium), so something designed to work with coco as a medium might not be the best choice, but it probably makes little difference. You might end up adjusting PH a bit more.
I'm a fan of the 2 part mixes rather than the 3 part mixes... but that really just reflects how lazy I am. I use the Dyna Gro nute line. I've also been playing with Osmocote+ (a granular nutrient mix) and have had pretty good plants using it.

Back
Top Bottom