Heat Problems

Beaucoq

I have a pretty small tent (36x20x62) and a 600w HPS dimmable glass tube cooled hood. One 240CFM fan blows outside air through the light and exhausts out the back and another 240CFM exausting heated air from the top of the tent to outside.

My outside air temp is 74°, bottom of tent air is 89° and top of tent is 83°. WAY too hot and I can't figure out why. All the exhaust goes out the top, the intake is at the bottom.

The intake part has kind of a long run. It comes in the bottom left side, goes up to the fan mounted at the top of the tent, then down to the light. The exhaust is as short as possible.

Any ideas would be immensely appreciated. I'm losing hair over this!

I'm missing something. Why is it warmer at the bottom?
If I understand what you said, it sounds like you are pushing air rather than pulling it. Is that correct?
A fan should pull air and be as close to the exit as possible.
If it is warmer down low, I'd try to change airflow to extract from there. I can't believe I'm saying that. :rofl:

OK I'll switch the fan around to make it pull the air through the hood. See how that goes. Just thought fan would burn out faster pulling hot air through it instead of cold air.

Yeah the temps at the bottom under the lights are hotter then the temp up top above the lights

The increase in air temp to the fan is negligible.
It is difficult to lower a 84F tent with 74F air while heat is being added from the light.
It sounds like you are not extracting air quick enough. The fan on the light is probably fine, but I wonder if the tent air is really moving well. What brand and model is the fan? Some small fans don't come close to their claims. Hopefully yours is a quality unit.

OK made the fan pull air across the hood, moved the fan right next to the exhaust outlet, and made the intake about half the length it was. I'll update with temps here in a few. Soon as I zipped up tent the temp at the bottom went from 79 to 82 almost immediately

The duct fans are van tech df-6 I got from Amazon. I took the stand off of vornado stand up room fan, laid it on its back facing upwards to circulate air until my clip on fans get here. That thing moves a ton of air around

Bottom is staying at 83 top is at 80. Hopefully it'll stay there

Well...I removed the reflective fin things that go around the tube. They made the light take up almost the entirety of the tent, blocking almost all heat from rising to the top. Bottom temp is now 80 and dropping. Top is 82. Thanks so much for the help! I think we made the whole system a bit more efficient!

Back
Top Bottom