Hello from Va

Axplayer

420 Member
Hello! Finally decided to post since I've done enough lurking around. I am a mid 50 yr old man who has been smoking for just about that long (at least it seems that way). I have never tried growing until this Aug. It was really more off a whim than anything else. The first grow used cfl only and while it seems to be doing ok, I now am thinking about led lighting...but that's for another post. The experience will help my future grows and besides I needed to get my feet wet at some point. I don't know the strain since it is a bag seed, but it sure is frosting nicely. I do have seeds from Nirvana that will be my next grow attempt which I will try to make a grow journal for.

I want to encourage anyone who hasn't grown before to go ahead and jump right in! I know I made some mistakes but all of it are lessons learnt which can only help the next time around. While saving money was the initial reason for me to take on this endeavor, I have found that there is so much more satisfaction when planting your own. Watching them develop and go through the different life cycles is also very interesting. Finally, help is all around us here at 420Mag....all we need to do is seek it.

Unfortunately, Virginia is not cannabis friendly and I don't see it happening anytime in the near future. While Northern Va (where I live) is very liberal, the Commonwealth of Va sits on a very big stick !

Thanks to all those willing to help, guide, and inform all of us newbies. :thanks:

Thanks for the welcome. I hope I can get some pointers regarding growing. Maybe one day I will be able to produce monsters like the ones I always see here on 420. Seriously debating on getting the Mars 300 watt led ($70.00) to see if that will make a difference in the next grow. Cfl's, while workable tends to give out low yields. I just wonder if adding the led will make any difference. My grow space is about 2ftx3ftx5ft, and I will be growing no more than 2 plants (most like it will be a single plant), grown in soil with nutes.
My first plant...
151201B.jpg

Picture taken about 2 wks ago.....should be ready to go in a few weeks!

Welcome Axplayer to the 420 Community :byebye:

Funny how a state as deeply enriched by Tobacco which is terrible for you, would be so against a plant that is actually good for you.

Oh well, I totally agree with you that growing is more then just getting the end product. True that is a plus, but knowing what your medicine has been given over the course of it's life is also very comforting. Plus the joy of watching something develop know it is doing so because of you.

Best of luck with your garden my friend:welcome:

Hey Oldergrower....what you said has made me wonder. If it ever was legalized here, I wonder how the big tabacco comapanies would react. Knowing them, they will probably want to come in and try to overtake the industry. Imagine Phillip and Morris marketing cannabis....not a good picture at all.

...While saving money was the initial reason for me to take on this endeavor, I have found that there is so much more satisfaction when planting your own. Watching them develop and go through the different life cycles is also very interesting.

I love hobbies within hobbies. I tie my own flies, build my own arrows, brew my own beer and grow my own cannabis. Your gals look great and you take nice pictures! Looking forward to seeing more.

:welcome::420:Yes I hear what oldergrower is saying about tobacco and how the 1% of the people with the money make the rules for us to live by makes you wonder if the 1% wants to cash in on cannabis too I know in Oregon they do any way nice plant keep up the good work and yes I also have invested in some LED lightes my self after see what they did for my brother oldergrower stay green and spread the word and knowledge

Hey Oldergrower....what you said has made me wonder. If it ever was legalized here, I wonder how the big tabacco comapanies would react. Knowing them, they will probably want to come in and try to overtake the industry. Imagine Phillip and Morris marketing cannabis....not a good picture at all.
I totally agree that would not be a good picture at all, but if that is what it takes to get a federal legalization, let them have it. An arrest every 42 seconds is just insane considering it is a plant that does you no harm and has many medical benefits. If they were able to get control some how, there is no way they could prevent the masses from growing their own. While PM in my opinion is nothing more then a scourge on our society and I by no means support them or their actions, I feel that the lives of those arrested every 42 seconds which are soon to be ruined for life are worth the cost.

:welcome::420:Yes I hear what oldergrower is saying about tobacco and how the 1% of the people with the money make the rules for us to live by makes you wonder if the 1% wants to cash in on cannabis too I know in Oregon they do any way nice plant keep up the good work and yes I also have invested in some LED lightes my self after see what they did for my brother oldergrower stay green and spread the word and knowledge
Why thank you big brother. Like I keep telling you, until they figure a way to get the lions share of the money it creates they will fight tooth and nail to keep it illegal. At this juncture in time, screw it, it is only money, we all can get more money but once someone is arrested for even possession their lives are ruined, and that is just un-exceptable. We need to stop the insanity.

Thanks for the welcome. I hope I can get some pointers regarding growing. Maybe one day I will be able to produce monsters like the ones I always see here on 420. Seriously debating on getting the Mars 300 watt led ($70.00) to see if that will make a difference in the next grow. Cfl's, while workable tends to give out low yields. I just wonder if adding the led will make any difference. My grow space is about 2ftx3ftx5ft, and I will be growing no more than 2 plants (most like it will be a single plant), grown in soil with nutes.
My first plant...
151201B.jpg

Picture taken about 2 wks ago.....should be ready to go in a few weeks!
If your plant is a true Sativa which it definitely looks like, you will have more then just a few more weeks. While some hybrids that are Sativa dominate will finish out at 9 to 10 weeks a true sativa could go as long as 14 weeks in flower before being ready for harvest.
It is the high price we pay for that Sativa goodness. But oh so worth the wait :love:

One of the biggest differences the LED may bring is in terpene production. I was watching a monster gardens video where they talk about commercial growers whom already have big banks of HPS lighting adding LEDs in between them to bring about stronger flavors. They said that the wavelengths of light supplied by the LEDs changed terpene production depending on the wavelengths supplied. Some brought out spicy notes, others fruity etc. I have alternating LED and HPS lighting and I am super impressed with the quality of the dank smell at 25 days. I think that Mars old style light is a steal at that price.

If your plant is a true Sativa which it definitely looks like, you will have more then just a few more weeks. While some hybrids that are Sativa dominate will finish out at 9 to 10 weeks a true sativa could go as long as 14 weeks in flower before being ready for harvest.
It is the high price we pay for that Sativa goodness. But oh so worth the wait :love:

Took some pictures this morning. What do you think? The trichomes look like they are just starting to cloud up becasue they had much more sparkle before. She's in her 8th week.

Ax are those on the sugar leaves? Make sure to check the ones on the bud, the sugar leaves can go cloudy early. They look beautiful by the way. what magnification did you use? I am trying to figure out what I am going to use to get trichome pics.

Yes, they are on the leaves. Here's a pic of the buds
Photo was taken with my Moto X using a 30x jeweler's loop held in front of the camera lens (stock android camera on highest mag) You need very steady hands and the plant must be still (no fans blowing).

It's a learning experience, one which I hope to improve on. Poor plant started with tab water and tomato nutes. Topped and LST and placed under cfls. I didn't get the proper nutrients until just before switching to 12/12. It's been on Dyna Grow Bloom and Blackstrap Molasses since. Also had a small war with fungus giants, taken care with spinosad to kill the bugs and damprid to lower the Rh. Buds are on the small side. The two main colas are bit over an inch long while the rest are in between .5 to and inch. The plant is only about 1.25 ft tall and it doesn't seem to be getting any taller. It's difficult to gage how tall it's suppose to get since the strain of the plant is unknown. Maybe the plant is short by nature and my set up is adequate or it's me that's causing this plant to be stunted. Currently, the Rh is between 30 to 45% and the temp between 76 to 86 F. Phd (6.3-6.7) water with Dynagrow Bloom and under 4 150W cfl bulbs. I don't know how Savage Cabbage will turn out (yes, I had to name her just to say it's Sativa and her name is savage cabbage) but I'm sure I jumped right in.
I do have Northern Lights and Short Rider (autos) and Bubblelicious and Aurora Indica (fems), all from Nirvana. Next grow may be an auto and a fem, I just need to decide which plants. Still plenty of time for that. Nothing is going to be done until I harvest Savage Cabbage so I can clean the grow area, maybe reconfigure the fans, etc.

Back
Top Bottom