Hello, newbie here

tortoiseshell

420 Member
Hi all, I'm new here.
I've been using various forms of cannabis for pain relief and PTSD for about 3 years now. My lungs are not doing so well of late, so for the past 6 months I've been focussing on edibles (made with RSO) over vaping.
Mostly it's great, slightly different to the vaping but does wonders for the pain and PTSD. However, lately by the time I go to sleep, I feel like there's an uncomfortable tickling under my skin - like my muscles are being stretched or something. I hate it, and it stops me being able to fall asleep. I'm always tempted to vape when it happens as I feel like it's the edible wearing off or something, but I'd rather not vape so I can give my lungs a break.
Has anyone else experienced this or knows the cause?

Hey @tortoiseshell and welcome to the forum! :ciao:

What kind of vaporizer are you using? I use a PAX Mini (and before that at PAX 2) and have never felt that it's hard on my lungs.

Are you aware of the difference between indica, sativa, and hybrid cannabis? Indica creates more of a body high and is great for evening and bedtime, because it's relaxing and helps with sleep. Sativa creates a more mental high and is more energizing. An indica/sativa hybrid can have qualities of both indica and sativa, and can lean more in one direction or the other.

The sensation you are feeling with your muscles may just be the cannabis working its healing magic, but if that was delivered by way of a sativa, that could be why you are having difficulty sleeping.

CBD can also be helpful for pain relief, anxiety, depression, and sleep. I grow indica, sativa, hybrid, and also CBD and CBG plants. I have CBD plants that produce about 10% CBD and 1% THC. This type of CBD bud can be mixed in the grinder with THC buds (indica or sativa) to include the benefits of CBD. CBD also tends to lessen the psychoactive effects of THC. Your lungs may benefit from CBD as well, if vaped.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I use a Starry V3, which seems to have more filters than my last vape, so was hoping it would be easier on the lungs.

I realise I didn't phrase my original message very well, as I didn't clarify that the odd tickly/muscular feeling is after the edibles, not the vaping. So I usually use indicas and hybrids (for vaping), and generally (beyond the lung issue) no problems with that.

With the edibles, I don't make them myself so I can't clarify exactly how much RSO is in them or what kind, but I know for sure it's RSO (and yes sadly that's the extent of my knowledge on that). It's when the edibles start wearing off late at night (I think) that I get the uncomfortable feeling. I didn't used to, but perhaps the ingredients have changed somewhat.

I'd be interested to hear more about CBD and ways to lessen some of the THC effects though. Thanks for sharing.

Hey @tortoiseshell and welcome to the forum! :ciao:

What kind of vaporizer are you using? I use a PAX Mini (and before that at PAX 2) and have never felt that it's hard on my lungs.

Are you aware of the difference between indica, sativa, and hybrid cannabis? Indica creates more of a body high and is great for evening and bedtime, because it's relaxing and helps with sleep. Sativa creates a more mental high and is more energizing. An indica/sativa hybrid can have qualities of both indica and sativa, and can lean more in one direction or the other.

The sensation you are feeling with your muscles may just be the cannabis working its healing magic, but if that was delivered by way of a sativa, that could be why you are having difficulty sleeping.

CBD can also be helpful for pain relief, anxiety, depression, and sleep. I grow indica, sativa, hybrid, and also CBD and CBG plants. I have CBD plants that produce about 10% CBD and 1% THC. This type of CBD bud can be mixed in the grinder with THC buds (indica or sativa) to include the benefits of CBD. CBD also tends to lessen the psychoactive effects of THC. Your lungs may benefit from CBD as well, if vaped.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I use a Starry V3, which seems to have more filters than my last vape, so was hoping it would be easier on the lungs.
It has filters? I don't know why a vaporizer would need to have a filter. My PAX doesn't have a filter. I notice that the Starry V3 and my PAX Mini run at about the same temperature 380-390°F. Is it possible that something else is irritating your lungs?

I realise I didn't phrase my original message very well, as I didn't clarify that the odd tickly/muscular feeling is after the edibles, not the vaping. So I usually use indicas and hybrids (for vaping), and generally (beyond the lung issue) no problems with that.

With the edibles, I don't make them myself so I can't clarify exactly how much RSO is in them or what kind, but I know for sure it's RSO (and yes sadly that's the extent of my knowledge on that). It's when the edibles start wearing off late at night (I think) that I get the uncomfortable feeling. I didn't used to, but perhaps the ingredients have changed somewhat.
Interesting. It may be helpful to find out what they are using in the edibles... i.e. is it RSO from sativa, indica, or hybrid. At our dispensary, we have an RSO-type product that is 1:1 CBD and THC... something like that might work better for you.

I'd be interested to hear more about CBD and ways to lessen some of the THC effects though. Thanks for sharing.
You could try consuming some CBD oil at the same time you take your edibles. Or, vape some CBD bud at the same time.

It has filters? I don't know why a vaporizer would need to have a filter. My PAX doesn't have a filter. I notice that the Starry V3 and my PAX Mini run at about the same temperature 380-390°F. Is it possible that something else is irritating your lungs?

Interesting. It may be helpful to find out what they are using in the edibles... i.e. is it RSO from sativa, indica, or hybrid. At our dispensary, we have an RSO-type product that is 1:1 CBD and THC... something like that might work better for you.

You could try consuming some CBD oil at the same time you take your edibles. Or, vape some CBD bud at the same time.
Yeah perhaps filter is the wrong word. Like those small metal grates that seem to be to stop too much debris from getting through. As I say, my previous vape didn't have that. On that subject, if you have a better vape to recommend I am considering changing.
Temperature wise, it's digital so I can change it. First vape I have at about 395 and second half at about 410. My lungs aren't great anyway (long covid) but they're a lot worse when I vape daily. I need regular breaks of a few days to a week for them to settle down so I can vape again.

I'll see if I can ask re the edibles, would be good to get more info. I can see what you mean about the type creating different results. I do have some CBD oil, so can try that in conjunction with it. It's store bought though, so I imagine again it might depend on type?

Yeah perhaps filter is the wrong word. Like those small metal grates that seem to be to stop too much debris from getting through.
Ah, OK. Those are just for letting the air/vapor flow through, while holding the bud material in the oven.
As I say, my previous vape didn't have that. On that subject, if you have a better vape to recommend I am considering changing.
I like my PAX Mini. There's no temperature setting... it automatically runs between 380°F - 420°F. When I used to run my PAX II on the high setting (420°F) I found that to be too hot... getting too close to combustion. I get no irritation of my throat or lungs with the PAX Mini. If I smoke herb, it's very irritating... big difference.
Temperature wise, it's digital so I can change it. First vape I have at about 395 and second half at about 410. My lungs aren't great anyway (long covid) but they're a lot worse when I vape daily. I need regular breaks of a few days to a week for them to settle down so I can vape again.
I see. How are your lungs doing? What are the symptoms?
I'll see if I can ask re the edibles, would be good to get more info. I can see what you mean about the type creating different results. I do have some CBD oil, so can try that in conjunction with it. It's store bought though, so I imagine again it might depend on type?
I don't think you need to worry about indica/sativa with CBD oil... it's very gentle stuff. What type of CBD oil do you have, and how many mg in the bottle?

Ah, OK. Those are just for letting the air/vapor flow through, while holding the bud material in the oven.

I like my PAX Mini. There's no temperature setting... it automatically runs between 380°F - 420°F. When I used to run my PAX II on the high setting (420°F) I found that to be too hot... getting too close to combustion. I get no irritation of my throat or lungs with the PAX Mini. If I smoke herb, it's very irritating... big difference.

I see. How are your lungs doing? What are the symptoms?

I don't think you need to worry about indica/sativa with CBD oil... it's very gentle stuff. What type of CBD oil do you have, and how many mg in the bottle?
When you talk about the difference when you smoke herb, do you mean ground up buds? Because that's generally what I put in my vaporiser.

Re lungs, it's mostly difficulty breathing (when they get bad) and can get some (minor) fluid in them. I get chest infections very quickly and regularly, which is very irritating! Anyway, just means I need to be cautious with vaping.

CBD is Cannabi Relief 3300mg. Again this is new to me, so I chose based on what little info I could find on the web. I actually started with that before vaping, mostly to try and get pain relief for really bad sciatica.

When you talk about the difference when you smoke herb, do you mean ground up buds? Because that's generally what I put in my vaporiser.
Yes, I use a grinder. But I only vape now... no more smoking.

Re lungs, it's mostly difficulty breathing (when they get bad) and can get some (minor) fluid in them. I get chest infections very quickly and regularly, which is very irritating! Anyway, just means I need to be cautious with vaping.
I see. For a general immune boost and protection against viruses, I recommend daily supplement of vit. D3, zinc, and quercetin.

If you took the Covid vax, I recommend supplementing nattokinase.

If you are on any meds, check with your doctor about these supplements.

CBD is Cannabi Relief 3300mg. Again this is new to me, so I chose based on what little info I could find on the web. I actually started with that before vaping, mostly to try and get pain relief for really bad sciatica.
I checked that one... I recommend a higher quality CBD oil. Are you in the UK? Here are some options. Feel free to ask me if you need help choosing one... I have a lot of experience with CBD oil.

Just re the PAX Mini - sadly seems to be sold out online
Yes, I use a grinder. But I only vape now... no more smoking.

I see. For a general immune boost and protection against viruses, I recommend daily supplement of vit. D3, zinc, and quercetin.

If you took the Covid vax, I recommend supplementing nattokinase.

If you are on any meds, check with your doctor about these supplements.

I checked that one... I recommend a higher quality CBD oil. Are you in the UK? Here are some options. Feel free to ask me if you need help choosing one... I have a lot of experience with CBD oil.
Thanks for the suggestions - I do take those supplements with the exception of quercetin and nattokinase, so will look into those. Yeah had 2 vax and 2 boosters.

I will check out those other CBD options, much appreciated. Yes am in UK. Speaking of, they seem to have sold out of the PAX mini over here (online anyway), but can see the PAX 2 is available.

Really appreciate your time helping me. 👍

Hi all, I'm new here.
I've been using various forms of cannabis for pain relief and PTSD for about 3 years now. My lungs are not doing so well of late, so for the past 6 months I've been focussing on edibles (made with RSO) over vaping.
Mostly it's great, slightly different to the vaping but does wonders for the pain and PTSD. However, lately by the time I go to sleep, I feel like there's an uncomfortable tickling under my skin - like my muscles are being stretched or something. I hate it, and it stops me being able to fall asleep. I'm always tempted to vape when it happens as I feel like it's the edible wearing off or something, but I'd rather not vape so I can give my lungs a break.
Has anyone else experienced this or knows the cause?
Welcome to the @420 Magazine family. I wish you well my friend but I have no knowledge about what you ask. CL🍀:welcome::420::Namaste:

I grow for a hand full of PTSD veterans and family/friends with lung issues. Indica effects the body and sativa effects the mind only in general. Sativas work better for sleeping with PTSD. It is your mind that is waking you up. Strains listed as euphoric or happy like Thai or Jamaican are what you want. Not energetic sativas like maui wowy or budha.

Jack Herer is a 60/40 indica hybrid, high CBD,CBG content and it's a bronchial dilator. Everyone I give it to uses it first thing and though mid day. Indicas work to relax the muscles. It is common to have muscle twitch as they try to relax. This can range from full body shivers to the sensation of a phone vibrating next to you. Less indica, more CBD will lessen the spasm effect.

Hopes this helps

Thanks for the info 🙏
Jack Herer is a 60/40 indica hybrid, high CBD,CBG content and it's a bronchial dilator. Everyone I give it to uses it first thing and though mid day.
Looks like it has a little CBG, but basically no CBD. Unless you are talking about CBD Jack Herer, which is a 1:1 strain, maybe around 8% THC and 8% CBD.
Indicas work to relax the muscles. It is common to have muscle twitch as they try to relax. This can range from full body shivers to the sensation of a phone vibrating next to you. Less indica, more CBD will lessen the spasm effect.
@tortoiseshell , there are CBD strains that are 10% CBD and very little THC, on up to strains that reach 20% CBD or more, and very little THC. If you vape these flowers, that's a great way to work in however much CBD you want.

Back
Top Bottom