Hello

Hello friends! Growing indoors for the first time and would love to be part of the 420 community here. And I have a potential problem due to my newbie status and was hoping for some expert opinions. I planted 7 seeds in four 5 gallon pots and the growth is tremendous; in another week or two I should be able to tell males from females. If I find one of the plants in a pot I’d make, can I just clip it at the bottom of the plant or do I have to uproot it? Dumb mistake because I wasn’t confident in my seeds or skills; turns out I sold myself short. I guess I see why people use solo cups to start seedlings now. Any thoughts from the wealth of knowledge out there? Any help is appreciated when you stop laughing at my dumb mistake.
BC6122EB-5392-47B1-83B0-B879A06A0DEE.jpeg
BC6122EB-5392-47B1-83B0-B879A06A0DEE.jpeg

Welcome, Merchant. The Mistake Club has plenty of members. I am the honorary Chairman! :p

Hey welcome to the site! We’re more then happy to have you!

There are no dumb mistakes, or questions. A person need to learn one way or the other. It’s all a learning experience until you get your feet under your self and you get a good grasp on things. A person would normally start in solo cups because it’s better to let the root system establish its self before going in to bigger pots. It will save a person their sanity when it comes time to the over water/under water problem. They look to have grown well even though being put in 5 gal pots right away.

Your plants look healthy, great lil set up you have!

To be able to determine the sex. I don’t have that keen eye to be able to determine the gender before it’s in flower. So the easiest way is once they get flipped to flower, in about 3-5 days under the 12/12 light schedule, you will soon see the true gender of them. What your looking for is

If you find these pollen sacks after a few days of flower, I would recommend cutting them down and removing them from your female plants carefully so it doesn’t pollinate your female plants, giving you buds with seeds in them. Unless that’s what your going for.

I took care of two Jamaican mountain kush seeds for over two months, just to determine the real gender of them after putting them in the flower tent. It was a major bummer but it’s all part of the hobby.

That’s ren and stimpy (ironically I gave them male names before determining the sex lol)

They got chopped to pieces after I found out there true gender because I had a female plant flowering and didn’t want to ruin the crop.

Welcome to Mistake Club. The first rule about Mistake Club....

There are no dumb mistakes, or questions. A person need to learn one way or the other. It’s all a learning experience until you get your feet under your self and you get a good grasp on things. A person would normally start in solo cups because it’s better to let the root system establish its self before going in to bigger pots. It will save a person their sanity when it comes time to the over water/under water problem. They look to have grown well even though being put in 5 gal pots right away.

To be able to determine the sex. I don’t have that keen eye to be able to determine the gender before it’s in flower. So the easiest way is once they get flipped to flower, in about 3-5 days under the 12/12 light schedule, you will soon see the true gender of them. What your looking for is

If you find these pollen sacks after a few days of flower, I would recommend cutting them down and removing them from your female plants carefully so it doesn’t pollinate your female plants, giving you buds with seeds in them. Unless that’s what your going for.

I took care of two Jamaican mountain kush seeds for over two months, just to determine the real gender of them after putting them in the flower tent. It was a major bummer but it’s all part of the hobby.

That’s ren and stimpy (ironically I gave them male names before determining the sex lol)

They got chopped to pieces after I found out there true gender because I had a female plant flowering and didn’t want to ruin the crop.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and the good info. I’m going to induce flowering in a few weeks when the plants are a bit bigger and will follow your advice. Hoping for at least one male in each pot for a big yield. It’s amazing that you can screw everything up at any given stage of the grow. Hopefully the 420 community will help guide me and I, in turn, will help others in the future. Have a great day!

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and the good info. I’m going to induce flowering in a few weeks when the plants are a bit bigger and will follow your advice. Hoping for at least one male in each pot for a big yield. It’s amazing that you can screw everything up at any given stage of the grow. Hopefully the 420 community will help guide me and I, in turn, will help others in the future. Have a great day!

Males are the plants you don’t want, unless your growing them to breed genetics with another strain (female plant)

The females are what you want, they will produce those most loved colas we’re all going for lol :thumb:

Hey thanks. I meant “one female per pot”. Sometimes the speech-to-text needs more proofreading, and I should probably be wearing my glasses!
Does anyone grow in a tent? My tent is 4’ x 4’ and I’m hoping to space the pots out far enough to have a 100% canopy. Seems doable, given the rapid growth. I’m wondering where people keep their humidity monitors; my sensors are shaded by the plants, and just hooked on the edge of the cloth pot. Is this right? I’m concerned because my humidity is over 70% with two fans running all day and the exhaust fan on low. My basement dehumidifier is running all day and set to 50% (but this probably isn’t achieved). Am I going to have to spend a lot on a tent dehumidifier? Sooo many questions, even after reading a bunch of grow guides. You people must all be genius bio-engineers...

Hey thanks. I meant “one female per pot”. Sometimes the speech-to-text needs more proofreading, and I should probably be wearing my glasses!
Does anyone grow in a tent? My tent is 4’ x 4’ and I’m hoping to space the pots out far enough to have a 100% canopy. Seems doable, given the rapid growth. I’m wondering where people keep their humidity monitors; my sensors are shaded by the plants, and just hooked on the edge of the cloth pot. Is this right? I’m concerned because my humidity is over 70% with two fans running all day and the exhaust fan on low. My basement dehumidifier is running all day and set to 50% (but this probably isn’t achieved). Am I going to have to spend a lot on a tent dehumidifier? Sooo many questions, even after reading a bunch of grow guides. You people must all be genius bio-engineers...

You will get it dialed in, in no time. Yeah speech to text is helpful, but never gets it correct lol.

I grow in a 32” wide, 24” deep, and 5’ Tall tent that I built my self.

Pictures definitely help us help you.

Yeah it’s a bit over whelming when you first start. Just deal with one problem at a time. :thumb:

Welcome Merchant, you don't have an exclusive membership to the mistake club. Looking forward to reading your journal.
Just a thought don't let the strings get into your light fans. I usually hang them with the others side up.
Cheers

Wick :morenutes:

If I find one of the plants in a pot is male, can I just clip it at the bottom of the plant or do I have to uproot it?
Just clip it at ground level-uprooting it will mess with the roots of the plant next to it.
It's almost an unwritten rule-If you plant too many seeds because you're sure some of them won't grow,they will all grow....

Just clip it at ground level-uprooting it will mess with the roots of the plant next to it.
It's almost an unwritten rule-If you plant too many seeds because you're sure some of them won't grow,they will all grow....
EA455EC2-46CA-48E8-BD95-87EB8A046ABD.jpeg

Buds, buds everywhere after a couple of weeks flowering. Put a dryer-type vent in and dropped the humidity to perfect levels. Thanks for all who contribute to this great site. It’s a wealth of info for newbs like me.

Attachments

• 07D7BC29-E732-455C-89BA-2D8D3F3F9CA3.jpeg
    07D7BC29-E732-455C-89BA-2D8D3F3F9CA3.jpeg
    887.9 KB · Views: 107
Back
Top Bottom