Help choice of HPS or LED

I use 600 watt led grow light for veg and 600 hps + 600 mh for flower.
Works so great the LED keeps the nodes closer together..

nebula-manifold-cannabis-yields-sm.jpg

So my story is I use to have a small grow had to move. Sold my gear. I had mars series 2 lights and did ok with 4 plants 4 oz with 4 weeks veg. But the heat was a problem still and my yield was down. So I'm starting to set up again that I have my license in place. I got led but I don't have the cash to buy one in Canada led are way over priced. I be going 315 watt Phillips cmh bulb in silver star vertical reflector and with ballast outside room to keep temp down. I run 2 flower room with 3100k bulbs. Ans run 1 veg room with a 4200k bulb. I run two 3x3 rooms and a 4x4 veg room as I can raise the light higher for better coverage in veg. I'm going to be running under 1100 w at the wall from my lights and never more than 700 at plug at once since I keep my flower tents on opposite schedules. With this and a 8 week veg with topping and lst. Ans two plants in each tent and 4 in my veg tent with two at 4 weeks and 2 at 8 weeks so I can harvest every 4 weeks 8oz is my goal. Just my idea keeps power down and heat down if u have a good enough fan sucking air out and bringing cooler air in.

Idk about that, I think what gives LEDs a bad name is these cheap Chinese units, for primary lighting LEDs can do quite well, but for the most part you get what you pay for

Hey GOP, you are right on about Chinese units. I don't use Chinese leds. I did a whole Grow using Vero29 Cobs and I got a tremendous grow out of them. Plus a lot less electric bill also. Stay away from the Chinese built ones. Garbage!

From what I've heard that LED's are good for supplemental lighting, but NOT for primary, you should never sting on lighting because yield will show you that you are lacking by the end.

HPS is definitely right choice, start off with MH for veg, then when you go in to flowering, switch to HPS.

You sir are incorrect on every level. Please do research before you make false claims.

You sir are incorrect on every level. Please do research before you make false claims.

LEDs are fine for primary, but quality costs. And you'll pay. A lot. Unless you build it yourself. Give it a few years & LED will surpass HID use-it's just not quite there yet on a consumer value level. And nah, I wouldn't use a low-end Chinese LED even if it was gifted. Garbage is right.
As to the MH for veg + HPS for flower idea, that's also incorrect. It was right 20 years ago, but not now. HPS puts out more, efficient light than metal halide. Period. Good companies like Hortilux have balanced-for-plant HPS bulbs that slay any MH. If you buy shite $20 Chinese bulbs like Apollo or iSun or whatever Amazon trash seller du jour, then you deserve shite results.

Ok, ☕

It really isn't that expensive to build or buy if you do your research. I wasn't saying anything about cost, just saying that claiming HPS > Led is grossly inaccurate. Upfront cost are more expensive. Electricity cost is saved every month. I'm never buying a blurple again. I have one mars 400, and a GROWant that was gifted for a sponsor grow. I jumped straight into Cree cxb3590 because they are the best bang for the buck. I'm actually going to salvage the drivers from the mars to build a cob from them. .70 ma on 3590 is a desirable efficiency.

So much false information being spread here. My Cree CXB3590s shit on any HPS. All the money you're gonna spend on bulbs, electricity, and a ac unit you can build a cob that'll blow a HPS away.

420-magazine-mobile456892564.jpg

100% agree with LB here, COBs blow away any HPS setup IMO I have grown using both and got great results but heat will be an issue with HPS bulbs and you will find yourself replacing bulbs every 2-3 harvests which adds up after a few years. May need to use an AC unit for HPS setup as well which will hit ya pockets for electricity. Long story short COBs ftw!! But to the creator of this thread if you didnt buy a light Spectrum King SK400 is a killer light, definitely adding one of those to my garden soon!

100% agree with LB here, COBs blow away any HPS setup IMO !

Using no a/c, (only dehumidifiers at night) minimally understanding ventilation & minimal thermodynamics, and HPS light, this:
420-magazine-mobile2101745911.jpg

That HPS light, was $300. I don't think anyone will be pulling multiple pounds out of $300 LED "grow lights" anytime soon, though it'll happen for sure.

Using no a/c, (only dehumidifiers at night) minimally understanding ventilation & minimal thermodynamics, and HPS light, this:

That HPS light, was $300. I don't think anyone will be pulling multiple pounds out of $300 LED "grow lights" anytime soon, though it'll happen for sure.

Not knocking HPS Skunk both give great results. And HPS is definitely a cheaper start but a high end LED will pay for itself in the long run. I ran HPS and I grew some nice buds but my temps were just too high and I feel the quality was effected but it also depends on your location, I had temps higher than 86 degrees this summer with HPS and now they dont get above 75 with my COBs.

I like how everything is solely based on initial startup cost. Let's be arrogant and try to use the smallest factor to stand on. HPS are not the top dog anymore. Get over yourself dude. With your logic I could be like "well I grow under the sun, and that's free so keep wasting your time and money on shitty HPS." For $650 you can get a off the shelf led that shits on a 1k HPS. Over the course of a year you'll pay yourself back in electricity, cost to cool your hot ass tent, and cost of bulbs. Nobody cares about your stupid bud photo, or how many pounds you've cropped under your HPS. Talk about some real shit like GPW, and yields based on veg times. Shit that actually matters. I've never seen someone average above a 2gpw average on a HPS. I've seen that done on cobs MULTIPLE TIMES. Numbers don't lie, efficiency is just that, and HPS are less efficient by a LONG SHOT.

Show me an off the shelf HPS that does this, you can't. The PLC-6 raped a 1k HPS on its bad days.

The PLC 6 is the newest fixture in the PLC line. Sticking to our original mission of "providing high performing, cost effective LED lights for horticulture", the PLC 6 is the essence of just that. Boasting up to 1.97µmols/joule at system level is the most cost effective replacement for 1000w hps fixtures on the market.
Over our 8 years of commercial LED grow lighting experience, we have always ran into the same cost based push backs no matter how much better LED technology can be or what it offers over the cheap and traditional sodium bulbs. With the PLC 6 we took that issue head on and wanted to offer the most photons/dollar we could while still making sure to outperform all other technologies on the market. Leveraging the highest performing components, throughout the system, allowed us to do just that and create the PLC 6.

Also your bud looks amazing. I will agree that a 1k HPS has the best yield per dollar any day of the week when it comes to upfront cost. Bulbs and electricity over the years will make the cobs equal in price, and I guarantee that. People are pulling 1k results with around 550-600w of led power. Jus that 400w per hour per grow will probably be substantial.

Nobody cares about your stupid bud photo, or how many pounds you've cropped under your HPS. Talk about some real shit like GPW, and yields based on veg times. Shit that actually matters.

As to that "stupid bud photo" you referred to, lol, that's the Chemdog D clone. . I mean, in my "stupid grow pics" folder I might have some Wedding Cake that's just atrocious .
420-magazine-mobile1233664185.jpg
Anyhow, yup, LED are more efficient than HPS. (Of course, nobody ever attempted to argue that, but I digress; As I stated perhaps not succinctly enough earlier, LEDs are not at an easily adoptable consumer level yet. Soon enough though. And when they are, you can rest easy knowing myself and a lot of other people will be rushing to reduce our carbon footprints so we can greedily consume more fossil fuels with less guilt in other areas.

Ok, ☕

Also your bud looks amazing. I will agree that a 1k HPS has the best yield per dollar any day of the week when it comes to upfront cost. Bulbs and electricity over the years will make the cobs equal in price, and I guarantee that. People are pulling 1k results with around 550-600w of led power. Jus that 400w per hour per grow will probably be substantial.

Thanks .
I can't wait for LED to make total sense.

It really isn't that expensive to build or buy if you do your research. I wasn't saying anything about cost, just saying that claiming HPS > Led is grossly inaccurate. Upfront cost are more expensive. Electricity cost is saved every month. I'm never buying a blurple again. I have one mars 400, and a GROWant that was gifted for a sponsor grow. I jumped straight into Cree cxb3590 because they are the best bang for the buck. I'm actually going to salvage the drivers from the mars to build a cob from them. .70 ma on 3590 is a desirable efficiency.

I agree 100% with you LB07, if you haven't tried Cree Cobs don't knock em! I had the best yield the first time I used them. And NO Chinese parts at all. Shit I never had to turn mine up all the way yet! I'm using 4 of them in a 4x4 tent and will never go back to HPS. To costly. I know a guy who builds them. Can't mention his name for sponsor reasons. But by far Cree Cobs for me!!

As soon as I hear less of "this guy on the forums built this killer LED rig" & more actual positive peer feedback from working growers on commercially available, and viable, systems, then I'm all over it. I'm blessed to be in a state that's both med & rec legal, so happily things like the old "power bills as self-incrimination" and "Oh shit it reeks like fuck we're all gonna get busted!" no longer apply. But efficiency is a primary part of indoor growing: The fewer resources consumed by the grow room, obviously the better.

As soon as I hear less of "this guy on the forums built this killer LED rig" & more actual positive peer feedback from working growers on commercially available, and viable, systems, then I'm all over it. I'm blessed to be in a state that's both med & rec legal, so happily things like the old "power bills as self-incrimination" and "Oh shit it reeks like fuck we're all gonna get busted!" no longer apply. But efficiency is a primary part of indoor growing: The fewer resources consumed by the grow room, obviously the better.

Look up the PLC-6. It's made by pacific lighting concepts. All their testing numbers are verified from a third party testing company. Growmau5 did a review on this light, and did a live interview with the owner verifying all the information.

Back
Top Bottom