Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lockout

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J Obadiah

I need help ID'g this issue. I have an idea but I'm unsure.

Parameters:

Environment
– Indoor Grow Tent

Medium – Homemade Supersoil
Contents
(Meals: Crab, Alfalfa, Kelp, Neem Seed)
(Additives: Glacial Rock Dust, Azomite, Aloe Vera Powder 200x Concentrate, Worm Castings, Humic & Fulvic Acids)

Take a look
IMG_20210402_145106.jpg
IMG_20210402_145053.jpg

As you can see the leaf in my hand has wilted with some discoloration, leading me to believe it's either wind burn, nutrient lockout, or overwatering. What do y'all think?

Any feedback appreciated!

I need help ID'g this issue. I have an idea but I'm unsure.

Parameters:

Environment
– Indoor Grow Tent

Medium – Homemade Supersoil
Contents
(Meals: Crab, Alfalfa, Kelp, Neem Seed)
(Additives: Glacial Rock Dust, Azomite, Aloe Vera Powder 200x Concentrate, Worm Castings, Humic & Fulvic Acids)

Take a look
IMG_20210402_145106.jpg
IMG_20210402_145053.jpg

As you can see the leaf in my hand has wilted with some discoloration, leading me to believe it's either wind burn, nutrient lockout, or overwatering. What do y'all think?

Any feedback appreciated!
Hey @J Obadiah how are things in sunny California?
Im leaning towards pests. Did you look under the leaves for signs of bugs or eggs? But I wouldn't rule out that you are not watering properly.
How have you been watering? Are you letting it dry out completely between watering. What nutrients are you using, or just water.
How long has she been in that pot?

Hey guys! Thanks for feedback so far. I have perlite and vermiculite in the pots, they're base soil is big Roots and ProMix M.

They've been in these pots about a month or so, closer to 6 weeks. I was overwatering a bit so I slowed down, now I water every few days, trying to let it dry out good.

I am leaning toward the gnats being the culprit. The reason I didn't think so was because I just treated them with Nematodes and Neem Oil, but they've seemingly gotten another generation out so I'm ordering GrowSafe and I'm looking into other options.

Hey @J Obadiah how are things in sunny California?
Im leaning towards pests. Did you look under the leaves for signs of bugs or eggs? But I wouldn't rule out that you are not watering properly.
How have you been watering? Are you letting it dry out completely between watering. What nutrients are you using, or just water.
How long has she been in that pot?
Hey it's a beautiful day here today! Going well! So I found that I've got a severe gnat infestation, and I'm taking corrective measures as quickly as I can. I have come to the realization that I've overwatered, critically. I didn't realize the level of moisture for some reason and I can tell, based on their droopiness, that overwatering is probably gonna be my primary issue, with the fungus Gnats being a symptom.

I'm a bit concerned because I treated them once with Neem Oil like I always do as a preventative, and I used Nematodes this season, but they just don't seem to be doing the job. I'm ordering GrowSafe and looking into some other options.

I use SST primarily which is made from Hemp, Corn, and Barley. It's actually the Clackamas Coot Gnarly Barley mix. But that high fungal level is attracting the gnats. It's a no-till system so the fungus doesn't help lol. But I treated them again with Neem. Thoughts?

Put a fan on the soil line. I run coots mix. Great stuff.

Gnats dont eat plants. They are more of a pest than anything harmful.

A fan on the soil line does 2 things..
blows the gnats away from the soil so they cannot lay eggs (they need soil for that)
Dries the top layer of the soil faster so helps keep the fungus growth in check.

Fungus gnats - eat fungus.... not plants.

But I think I see some other critter on a leaf. Take a closer look maybe with a loop on the underside.

Hey it's a beautiful day here today! Going well! So I found that I've got a severe gnat infestation, and I'm taking corrective measures as quickly as I can. I have come to the realization that I've overwatered, critically. I didn't realize the level of moisture for some reason and I can tell, based on their droopiness, that overwatering is probably gonna be my primary issue, with the fungus Gnats being a symptom.

I'm a bit concerned because I treated them once with Neem Oil like I always do as a preventative, and I used Nematodes this season, but they just don't seem to be doing the job. I'm ordering GrowSafe and looking into some other options.

I use SST primarily which is made from Hemp, Corn, and Barley. It's actually the Clackamas Coot Gnarly Barley mix. But that high fungal level is attracting the gnats. It's a no-till system so the fungus doesn't help lol. But I treated them again with Neem. Thoughts?
I didn't think you were watering properly. Let it dry. Try lifting pot until you learn to read her she will tell you when she is thirsty.
I'd still check under those leaves with a loup, im not convinced its just nats. They don't bother leaves.

Put a fan on the soil line. I run coots mix. Great stuff.

Gnats dont eat plants. They are more of a pest than anything harmful.

A fan on the soil line does 2 things..
blows the gnats away from the soil so they cannot lay eggs (they need soil for that)
Dries the top layer of the soil faster so helps keep the fungus growth in check.

Fungus gnats - eat fungus.... not plants.

But I think I see some other critter on a leaf. Take a closer look maybe with a loop on the underside.
Hey this is GREAT advice thank you! Nah I know they eat root tissue and not green tissue, but they aren't welcome. Lol thank you for telling me about the fan I can't believe I didn't reckon that myself.

I didn't think you were watering properly. Let it dry. Try lifting pot until you learn to read her she will tell you when she is thirsty.
I'd still check under those leaves with a loup, im not convinced its just nats. They don't bother leaves.
Yeah I think you're right. I've been picking them up to get a feel, getting better at it. I've checked thoroughly with the loupe and I found a single whitefly and that was it. She was on another plant.

She's drying today so I'll watch them closely to see what happens. Man I hate making stupid mistakes. Been at this a long time now.

Yeah I think you're right. I've been picking them up to get a feel, getting better at it. I've checked thoroughly with the loupe and I found a single whitefly and that was it. She was on another plant.

She's drying today so I'll watch them closely to see what happens. Man I hate making stupid mistakes. Been at this a long time now.
We all do our best for our ladies. Don't beat yourself up over it. She still alive and growing so your doing something right. :cheer:

First if you are doing an actual Living Organic Soil no-till then I assume you must be in at least 15 gallon fabric pots?
And you have a thick mulch layer such as barley straw?
If this is the case then all you need for fungus gnat eradication is Rove Beetles and predator mites.

Also in a LOS you do NOT let the soil dry out, unless your soil is shit with nowhere near enough aeration.
As far dry soil to lessen fungus gnats, your plant would be long dead before it made the slightest difference in gnat population.
I once opened a bag of compost that was stored in a nice dry space for over a year and had fungus gnats come out of the bag.

There are two guaranteed methods to get rid of gnats.
If in LOS and you're doing it right in large pots with thick mulch then Rove Beetles are the answer.
If you're in something that resembles LOS in small pots and no mulch then you need to get some BTI, best I found was Gnatrol, add that to your water everytime you water for 3 weeks and take several yellow sticky traps fold them into a tent and place on top of your soil.
Gnats will be gone in 3 weeks

Fungus gnats could cause root problems especially in young plants but your infestation would have to be pretty bad, like there's gnats flying all over your house type bad and the sticky traps turning black with kamikaze gnats in a few days.
They usually have to be bad before plants start being effected.
Of course the gnats could also spread pythium which is basically root rot.

If "overwatering" is causing you problems then the actual problem is lack of oxygen, and the reason really has little to nothing to do with too much water.
Letting the soil dry out is literally like putting duct tape on a flat tire, it might help slightly but it isn't addressing the real problem.
The root cause is lack of aeration and improper soil tilth.
If you have at least 30% aeration like Pumice, Rice Hulls and Pre-charged Biochar or similar, and you're in large fabric pots, especially if you have worms in the pot and a cover crop then you would damn near have to toss the pot into a swimming pool to deplete the oxygen.
I am in 20 gallon fabric pots and I usually water everyday especially in flower, my soil stays moist, not soaking wet but good and moist.
I have a thick mulch layer so even the top 1/2" of my soil stays moist at all times.
Everything in that pot requires moisture just as much as it does oxygen, the worms, rove beetles, microbes, cover crop, and the cannabis roots.
But even in small fabric pots without cover crop, not sure if there's a worm or two in there, I still have to water every single day, in fact its even more critical.
I have a 7 gallon fabric pot next to my two 20 gallon pots and if I don't water it everyday then it gets too dry after about week 5 of veg.
I can skip a day occasionally in the 20 gallon pots but have to water the 7 gallon everyday.
This is due to proper soil tilth and lots of transpiration from the plant by keeping my VPD at optimum levels as much as possible.
A healthy plant will suck a 7 gallon pot dry in 24 hours or less.
I also super oxygenate my water so when I water I am adding dissolved oxygen into the soil.

As far dry soil to lessen fungus gnats, your plant would be long dead before it made the slightest difference in gnat population.
My first experience with Fungus Gnats was with some houseplants I brought in for the winter. Part of my winter routine was to let the top 2 inches or so of the soil dry out as a way to slow down growth. Next thing I knew the gnats were gone.

Fungus gnats could cause root problems especially in young plants but your infestation would have to be pretty bad, like there's gnats flying all over your house type bad and the sticky traps turning black with kamikaze gnats in a few days.
They usually have to be bad before plants start being effected.
Of course the gnats could also spread pythium which is basically root rot.
Not only do they eat fungus and decomposing organic material but it has been mentioned that they will eat very young roots that have just started to grow, especially the hair roots that are picking up nutrients dissolved in the water.

Really bad situation since too many Fungus Gnats will slow down a cutting from forming a healthy root mass. Can't remember ever having a problem with healthy plants from cuttings but I am positive that I have lost some clones because the very young ones could not form a solid root mass before the gnats ruined the hair roots.

I just now after checking plants decided I am going to have to water this 7 gallon plant at least twice a day now, or i might just give it a cup or three everytime I check plants which is usually about 5x a day.

I watered this morning and just checked it and damn thing is dry already, its drinking like a drunken sailor, all of them are but the 7 gallon just doesn't have enough soil to last more than a few hours.
Temp at 77⁰ and humidity between 55-60% on a healthy plant and it transpires a lot of water In flower.
In fact that is one way I can tell when the plants are definitely dry is my humidity in the room goes down.
The plants stop transpiring humidity goes down, I water and humidity immediately goes up, the plants open up the stomata and release water vapor.

I just now after checking plants decided I am going to have to water this 7 gallon plant at least twice a day now, or i might just give it a cup or three everytime I check plants which is usually about 5x a day.

I watered this morning and just checked it and damn thing is dry already, its drinking like a drunken sailor, all of them are but the 7 gallon just doesn't have enough soil to last more than a few hours.
Temp at 77⁰ and humidity between 55-60% on a healthy plant and it transpires a lot of water In flower.
In fact that is one way I can tell when the plants are definitely dry is my humidity in the room goes down.
The plants stop transpiring humidity goes down, I water and humidity immediately goes up, the plants open up the stomata and release water vapor.
Ok, so it's not an official LOS but it's as close as I could get with my resources.

They're in 5 gallon pots. For about 15 years I've used 7 or 10 gallon. Since this season is my first REAL indoor grow (at least in terms of my endeavoring,) I wanted to be sure that I have enough room for a 84" tent (I also have a 72" 3x3). I have a YT channel with updated videos: Obadiah Kilgore.

Yeah I almost minored in horticulture in college, so I'm pretty well versed in the biology (of course there's always something new to learn everyday).

Imma reply to ur other comments right now.

Back
Top Bottom