Help my sick bagseed!

Joeydrumstix

Hey guys I have a single bagseed growing in my closet under 4 100watt cfl bulbs 2700k
she is at the end of week 4 of flowering and over the past week i have noticed her become sick.
it started in the lower fan leaves with dark almost blue spotting, red stems followed by the leaves turning yellow and dying. the problem has now spread to most of the plant with brown or red spots on most of her leaves. I have only fed her fox farm big bloom and Cal-mag with distilled water Ph'd to around 6.3-6.5
Everything i have read has taught me it is a phosphorus deficiency but it just seems to be getting worse. can anyone please help me? i know my environment is not optimal, shes just a bagseed growing in my closet with no humidity control or anything like that, but i still feel she shouldnt be looking like this i thought i had been doing everything correctly. yesterday i even watered her with just distilled water and Ph'd the clear run off at 6.2 im at a loss! Please help!

Attachments

• 0410190826.jpg
    0410190826.jpg
    858 KB · Views: 137
  • 0410190826a.jpg
    0410190826a.jpg
    803 KB · Views: 146
I'm not familiar with that line but the Big Bloom looks more like a supplement as it has very little of the three main nutrients N P and K . The red stems can be the strain or a deficiency, but as you have no idea on the strain. She doesn't look too bad to me for using a few light bulbs, but I never have grown anything with that little of a light source. I'm sure someone with more experience will wander in and give their opinion(s).

What soil are you feeding it? How long have you been feeding her? Watch the new growth that will tell if it's working just gotta be patient. You definitely should have good air flow how often are you watering you could be drowning it and causing it not to uptake nutes. When I grew bag seed I had the same problem. I just fine tuned a few things especially watering. Sometimes the genetics are just crap it happens. She still looks healthy.

i lift the pot and wait for her to be completely dry before watering, i wait for her leaves to start drooping a little. i'm using an organic super soil called thunderhead, its been great i had only been watering her with plain water until the second week of flowering at which time i started adding cal mag 1ml per half gallon and fox farm big bloom for the buds, i have a fan blowing down onto the lights over the canopy, definitely good air flow, its a little warmer than id like, it gets pretty hot here, bud id say during the day the room doesnt get above 80. i had been lately feeding her with every watering because the deficiency started about a week ago

I fed mine a bit of cal-mag which helped 1 TSP in a gallon. I believe I added a bit of epsom salt although I didn't deal with it in flower only in veg. How much cali mag are you feeding it? I also stopped using a super soil. I found though depending on the type all you had to do was add CaliMag and some P nutes. I have to experience with thunderhead. Have you tried fox form ocean? I use this now and feed a few extra stuff but the last bagseeds I ran didn't really show any deficiencies other than Phosphorus. Oh I meant fresh air for circulation. I like to have the A/C going and a fan dear a window pulling fresh air.

i had been going light on the nutrients, its a small pot and i only water with about a half gallon of water which i add 1ml of cal-mag and 1.5tsp fox farm big bloom which i do with every watering

1ml damn. I just looked at my shot glass that's tiny. try upping it to 1tsp. Sorry if I'm no help. I keep trying to zoom closer into the fan leaf and can't get a good look. I'm looking particularly at the bottom right cola at the new growth.

this is what it looks like, the tips of the leaves turn brown and curl up, with spotting all over, the leaves get twisty with red stems and the veins turn yellow followed by the whole leaf turning yellow and dying

Attachments

• 0410190956.jpg
    0410190956.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 0410190957.jpg
    0410190957.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 0410190957a.jpg
    0410190957a.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 117
Ok I’ll add my 2 cents in... but your plants really don’t look overly terrible, so don’t fear too much, I think you’ll still make it to harvest!

I think you are getting that curl upwards in the leaf tips from heat stress.... do you have another fan you could add underneath her to keep airflow moving?

Also when in flower, you want to keep her watered a bit more frequently and not let her droop... waiting for the droop is ok in veg, means the roots are looking for water... I try to do every 3-4 days in flower in my circumstances.

The other thing I noticed is you said you’re using organic living soil? I’m no expert but I believe You could actually be causing yourself issues by adding in the big bloom and cal mag.... most organic living soils should have everything the plant needs.... I’ve been using a similar type of soil and I’m only watering and have had no issues.

Perhaps @bobrown14 or @Pennywise could help offer some more knowledgeable insights!

even once you get in to flowering? honestly for the first 2 months of her life she was vibrant green and beautiful just from the soil alone. once i started seeing the first signs of budding i started adding the big bloom as a boost to help the flowering along. I hadnt noticed any deficiencies at that time. Maybe youre right. at this point though what should i do? the problem is cleary progressing and i still have a minimum of 3 weeks till harvest

Yes even in flowering... normally I up pot and flip... so the roots have a bunch of fresh organic soil to grow into for their nutrients..... I do keep on hand, kelp meal, glacial rock dust and a couple other amendments incase I start to see any sign deficiencies, then I can top dress and water them in.

If I was in your shoes...

first thing I would do is add in another clip fan blowing from underneath her if it’s getting up to 80 you’ll wanna keep the air flowing around her.

Second thing would be to cut out the nutes and go back to plain water. You won’t fix any of the damage on the leaves, but you can keep your eye on it and see whether the damage continues.

Then just be patient and wait.... perhaps someone will see something I’m not... but overall, to my eye, your plant looks relatively healthy closest to the buds.

you do the last repotting right before initiating flower? im assuming we are only talking about photo periods here. i will definitely grab another fan, i wish i could get the humidity a little higher, i live in texas and its pretty dry here. should i cut everything including the cal-mag? and yes you are right the buds look pretty good for what this girl is, a bagseed. this is the second one ive grown from the same bag seeds, they both hermied in early flowering. I was able to pick out the bananas and the balls before they matured and she hasnt produced anymore.

this is definitely the last time im growing a bag seed, ive just been trying to get through a grow without burning her to death. i'm pretty new at this and i realize the environment isn't up to par but i feel like i should be able to get through it without the dead spots popping up, a little yellowing is fine.

As a new grower I'm presuming this is a phosphorus deficiency which means you will need to use a PK booster, if it's not that then check your heat temperatures as they could possibly be stressed, as my plant started of with brown tips then they burnt and fell off (no nutes added) I've done some digging and I really hope this website helps you more in depth

in the very beginning of flower it started with the oldest fan leaves closest to the main stem on the bottom of the plant turned dark green and papery, then got the brown spots and eventually died, it progressed outwards and then up. i thought it was a phosphorus deficiency so ive been feeding her fox farm big bloom but the problem hasnt been getting any better, i think i may have slowed the progression at best but i dont want to make it worse

also the organic living soil i planted her in has bat guano and rock phosphate in it.

you do the last repotting right before initiating flower? im assuming we are only talking about photo periods here. i will definitely grab another fan, i wish i could get the humidity a little higher, i live in texas and its pretty dry here. should i cut everything including the cal-mag? and yes you are right the buds look pretty good for what this girl is, a bagseed. this is the second one ive grown from the same bag seeds, they both hermied in early flowering. I was able to pick out the bananas and the balls before they matured and she hasnt produced anymore.

this is definitely the last time im growing a bag seed, ive just been trying to get through a grow without burning her to death. i'm pretty new at this and i realize the environment isn't up to par but i feel like i should be able to get through it without the dead spots popping up, a little yellowing is fine.

Yup, I up pot and flower... depending on the plant.

Every growers situation is different. So you gotta do what works for you... im just offering suggestions Of what I Might do if that was my plant and in your shoes.

You’ve mentioned the problems only started after you started adding stuff to the waterings. So I would cut everything off and see if the problem continues.

what is the temp and Rh sitting at now? You can always add a bucket of water to the room, this will create evaporation and in turn raise the humidity a bit.

@Preston9mm i believe is in or around Texas as well... I could be wrong... but he might be able to offer some suggestions or advice.

embarrassingly enough i havent a RH and temp sensor in the closet, ive been trying to do this with minimal equipment cause im moving soon. im sure its too dry and probably a little too warm but not much. i keep my ac set at 74 degrees in the apartment. i'm going to discontinue the fox farm and cal mag. i read the thunderhead bag and it looks like there was a lot of phosphorus in there to begin with as well as worm castings and kelp. the first 4 weeks the plant was vibrant dark green almost to the point of nitrogen toxicity.

as of this morning the new growth does not look any worse after giving just plain distilled water yesterday

there is also a bowl of water in there with her

Growing is just a learning curve! So what you encounter this plant, you’ll know better for your next!

Sounds like a very similar soil to what I use as well. Just water as needed for a week and see if you notice any new signs..... you could pluck a couple of the ugly leaves off in order to know whether the issue is progressing as well.

You got this :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom