Help yellow veins, yellowing leaves, leaves falling off old growth, nutrient problem

eel89

I cant seem to figure out what my problem is here. please help

DSC_016516.JPG
DSC_016618.JPG
DSC_016720.JPG
DSC_016815.JPG
DSC_017017.JPG
DSC_017123.JPG

Re: Help Yellow Veins, yellowing leaves, leaves falling off old growth, nutrient prob

I am having yellowing leaves that are falling off at end of my first week of flowering,
Closet grow in homemade soil mixture
I have been using a 4-12-4 liquid nutrient weekly
400w equivalent LED lights at 5000k with 240w equivalent CFL at 3200K
PH is 6.2

I Cant seem to find anything that has the yellowing of veins like this, Looking for other opinions.
Is it Magnesium deficiency, nitrogen toxicity or something else?

Re: Help Yellow Veins, yellowing leaves, leaves falling off old growth, nutrient prob

It doesn't look like too much 'N' to me.
I'm not good at identifying nutrient deficiencies but your leaves have an over-watered look.
Pictures of the overall plant might help. How big is she? How big is the pot? What is in your soil mix? How often do you water - weekly or in between feedings?

Appears to be overwatering, mixed with Lights to close to plants mixed with not enough ventilation, which is causing this. You also, may be giving these girls too much nutes and should flush them good,before giving them any more.. The leaves look brittle. I would if you could stick them outside for a few hours a day, so fresh air and mother nature can do its thing as well, that is if you can....

It is in a five gallon bucket, I cant really move the plant outside
DSC_016918.JPG

They look great in the new picture. :thumb:
A few older fan leaves yellowing in bloom is no biggie, IMO.

The leaves that have fallen off are still soft and do not crack when bent or folded.
the yellow leaves on the plant are wilting and do not feel dry or cracking either, but the stems are red while others that are seemingly healthy are not.

I watered 3 days ago with water only. soil has good drainage and is a mix I made from a local creek area mixed with rocks and a little clay and sand; for I can not afford premade mixtures.

But do you think I am just being paranoid?
three leaves had fallen off this morning. and all of these photos are taken today.
This is the second time ive ever grown a plant.

I think it is doing OK. I wouldn't try to fix it.
They get thirsty in the stretch and bloom, but a plant that size in 5 gallons of soil should be able to go several days w/o water. In my soil mix, they go about a week.

I am having yellowing leaves that are falling off at end of my first week of flowering,
Closet grow in homemade soil mixture
I have been using a 4-12-4 liquid nutrient weekly
400w equivalent LED lights at 5000k with 240w equivalent CFL at 3200K
PH is 6.2

I Cant seem to find anything that has the yellowing of veins like this, Looking for other opinions.
Is it Magnesium deficiency, nitrogen toxicity or something else?
The soft leaves and gentle overall yellowing appear to be a macronutrient deficiency that is being compensated for by stealing the needed nutrients from the lower fan leaves. You need a better nutrient. Plants at this stage need more potassium and phosphorus too... it is time to switch to a more all around flowering nute.

Also, for soil... 6.2 pH is out of the range of 6.3-6.8. Your mistake is not allowing magnesium to be picked up early enough in the wet/dry cycle, so you are getting a little bit of a magnesium deficiency showing in the tips and the funny tip clawing. Adjust your pH to 6.5 every time and I believe this problem will go away... and a little bit of calmag wouldn't hurt anything.

As far as overwatering goes... I don't see it. In that last shot with all the new growth strongly reaching up, I am convinced that your root system is in good shape and that you must be watering correctly.

The soft leaves and gentle overall yellowing appear to be a macronutrient deficiency that is being compensated for by stealing the needed nutrients from the lower fan leaves. You need a better nutrient. Plants at this stage need more phosphorus too... it is time to switch to a more all around flowering nute.

Also, for soil... 6.2 pH is out of the range of 6.3-6.8. Your mistake is not allowing magnesium to be picked up early enough in the wet/dry cycle, so you are getting a little bit of a magnesium deficiency showing in the tips and the funny tip clawing. Adjust your pH to 6.5 every time and I believe this problem will go away... and a little bit of calmag wouldn't hurt anything.

As far as overwatering goes... I don't see it. In that last shot with all the new growth strongly reaching up, I am convinced that your root system is in good shape and that you must be watering correctly.

Agreed about the watering. The final picture shows the whole plant rather than a bad leaf. Looks like it is not a problem.
Wouldn't 4-12-4 provide the 'P' needed in bloom?

I will also add a bit of a friendly admonishment here. Since the damage on those lower leaves was due to the plant using them as emergency storage supplies for the nutrients that are needed to supply the new growth, removing them was not a good thing to do. There was still plenty of good stuff left in those leaves that the plant could have used in this time of need, and now it has no choice but to go to the next leaves up the stalk for these supplies. In those leaves that you removed, you had a bit of a buffer, to allow you the time you needed to fix the problem... now, not as much. Every leaf that you remove or that the plant has to absorb, is one less leaf that could have been providing sugars for a big finish. Lastly, if we could have seen all the damage as it was progressing naturally, in a good side view of the entire plant, it would have been much easier to diagnose.

Anyway... get on this quickly. If you have access to mail order, I like Jack's Classic nutrients. The All Purpose combined with the Blossom Booster is a cheap and proven system. Their shipping is fast. If you have a grow store near you, you will have hundreds of choices of nutes, just pick a brand and go with all of their stuff.

Agreed about the watering. The final picture shows the whole plant rather than a bad leaf. Looks like it is not a problem.
Wouldn't 4-12-4 provide the 'P' needed in bloom?
This is what I understand is optimum for our plants:
Vegetative Stage
N - P - K
3 - 1 - 2

Flowering Stage
N - P - K
1 - 1 - 2

Final Flowering Stage
N - P - K
0 - 1 - 2

This 4-12-4 stuff translates to 1 - 3 - 1, which really isn't optimum for anything other than starting seedlings.

Also, I have corrected it now, but I forgot to include in my statement above that potassium is also needed at this point, not just the phosphorus.

I haven't removed any leaves and I never remove any leaves in flowering, I have heard and read it is best not to remove any leaves during flowering stage because it can cause unwanted stress. They fell off on their own. Also, I don't have any way of ordering things online. or the funds to buy any nutrient systems.

I am going to try a foliar application of magnesium sulfate in the morning to correct the deficiency until I can feed again, as well as try to get my hands on some potash for extra potassium. Next time I water I will adjust my PH

Thank you all for your help

I haven't removed any leaves and I never remove any leaves in flowering, I have heard and read it is best not to remove any leaves during flowering stage because it can cause unwanted stress. They fell off on their own. Also, I don't have any way of ordering things online. or the funds to buy any nutrient systems.

I am going to try a foliar application of magnesium sulfate in the morning to correct the deficiency until I can feed again, as well as try to get my hands on some potash for extra potassium. Next time I water I will adjust my PH

Thank you all for your help

that sounds like a good plan, good luck! Let us know how it turns out. Sorry I accused you of plucking leaves... I have to quit assuming these things when I see leaves spread out for a pictures. Please forgive me. It sounds like you are right on top of this and I have my fingers crossed for luck!

Back
Top Bottom