Hempy Upgrade

OK, so I've been busy with life and have neglected my journal but a couple weeks ago, I moved 5 plants to 2.5 gallon hempy buckets I got from the dollar store. That's right about when the trouble began. My pH pen that I ordered wasn't working right so that was an unknown variable and I was just too busy to give the situation much attention.

Long story short, problem progressed slowly over the course of the next two weeks. Yesterday, I moved 3 plants to the bud tent. While I was doing that, it occurred to me to dump the water that had been in the res. and give them a little flush. The pH was fine. The runoff was really, really silty from perlite dust. I got as much off as I could before repotting but there was still a lot left apparently. Anyway, they seem much happier now. I feel like a real bone head for not thinking to change out the water. It probably wouldn't have really been an issue if it weren't for the over-feeding....and I think the perlite debris probably put the TDS up higher than it should have been.....so with any luck, the problem should be solved, there won't be any more surprises, and I won't do anything (else) that's really dumb.

Interestingly, the High Plains strain didn't seem to be bothered too much, while the NYCD started looking pretty rough. Here are some pics.

DSCF3426.JPG

One mother from each strain and two NYCD stragglers I'm going to rotate into the bud tent in a couple weeks.

DSCF3427.JPG

DSCF3428.JPG

One NYCD plant from the bud tent.

Thanks for the tip, Blue. I'm probably going to use up these ff nutes before I start thinking about new ones though. Operator error aside, they work pretty well. I've learned enough lessons the hard way, I have to be pretty close to the point where I just don't make dumb mistakes any more. lol.

Also, the gnats don't seem to be as demon-possessed this time around. I think they were breeding in the P-traps in my bathroom and kitchen sinks, and a few did find their way to the plants early on, but I haven't seen any for a long time now.

Your plants look much healthier than before.:thumb:

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Hash. I peeked at your journal. Congrats on your harvest. I know you were pulling for more weight, but it beats the hell out of my best so far. :D

Looking good buddy! I like how much space you have.

Thanks, Blue. I was hoping to fill most of that up but, since I killed most of my clones, I guess the survivors have some room to stretch. lol.

I'm doing some additional gardening this season. The veg. tent's gonna have some additional greenery 'til last frost. This will be my first attempt at growing food and herbs in the ground. :)

DSCF3432.JPG

Looks like Mary Jane isn't the only herb on the block any more. Oh well, she doesn't seem like the jealous type.

DSCF3433.JPG

They seem to be enjoying the company.

I put the two lagging NY Diesels into 2.5 gal hempys last night. They had stopped growing. There was already new growth when I checked this morning. The High Plains mother was crowding everybody else out and was way taller than everything else so I LST'd her and dropped the light down. I'm thinking about LSTing the High Plains plant in the bud tent to even out the profile there too. Not sure I should do that to a budding plant though. I'm thinking about getting rid of that strain because of how leggy it is, but I'll wait 'til after harvest to decide. To its credit, it has taken a lot of abuse without slowing down or browning up at all. The NYCD is MUCH more sensitive, but also seems a lot more suited to indoor gardening. Very compact and bushy, yet fast-growing.

DSCF3443.JPG

DSCF3444.JPG

DSCF3446.JPG

DSCF3447.JPG

Sorry about the HID lighting, but it does give an idea of how much taller the High Planes is.

Hey airavata wassup? Were those close ups the nycds? Have you ever grown a red diesel? This thing has not been a happy camper since day one. I hope I get a little yield from it, I really want to try something diesel... take care :tokin:

That's a pretty cool setup, Hash. I wonder what that guy's got growing in his closet. lol.

I'd love to have a wind/sun/generator system hooked up for the pumps. Whatever happened to the "Bloom Box"?

Looking real good friend. :cool:

Thanks, mang. lol.

Yeah, off-grid's where it's at. Any way you can get there is cool in my book. I looked up the bloom box. I'd like to see one of those on a fish tank. :slide:

Hey airavata wassup? Were those close ups the nycds? Have you ever grown a red diesel? This thing has not been a happy camper since day one. I hope I get a little yield from it, I really want to try something diesel... take care :tokin:

What's goin' on, Blue? Yeah that was the NYCD. I have no experience with the red diesel, but my opinion of the NYCD is pretty good so far. Seems to be doing alright despite all the operator error on my part. Not as bullet-proof as the high plains but it's pushing out pistils way faster so far, in addition to all the stuff I already said. I'd recommend it. If I can't kill it, nobody can! lol.

I decided to perform an impromptu experiment on rooting cuttings today when I decided to trim back my High Plains mother a little.

Basically, I just made a little raft out of a plastic cap, stuck the cutting into the cap, stuck the whole thing in a cup of water, stuck a bag over the top, and stuck the whole setup in a south-facing window under another plant (shaded).

The idea is to give it as little attention as possible and see what happens.

DSCF3448.JPG

DSCF3455.JPG

I decided to perform an impromptu experiment on rooting cuttings today when I decided to trim back my High Plains mother a little.

Basically, I just made a little raft out of a plastic cap, stuck the cutting into the cap, stuck the whole thing in a cup of water, stuck a bag over the top, and stuck the whole setup in a south-facing window under another plant (shaded).

The idea is to give it as little attention as possible and see what happens.

DSCF3448.JPG

DSCF3455.JPG

I'll bet it roots, especially if you can keep it fairly warm. Replace the plastic cap with a cut down 8 oz foam cup and add a bubbler and that's pretty much what I did and it works great.

I'll bet it roots, especially if you can keep it fairly warm. Replace the plastic cap with a cut down 8 oz foam cup and add a bubbler and that's pretty much what I did and it works great.

Thanks, Blue. I think I'll try that next time I'm taking cuttings for real....either that or a DIY aeroponic cloner....Maybe even a side-by-side. I want this one to show me what I'll get with just standing water, humidity, and light first though.

BTW, did you pH your water down for your cuttings?

P.P.S. What do you think about LSTing a plant that's already on 12/12?

Thanks, Blue. I think I'll try that next time I'm taking cuttings for real....either that or a DIY aeroponic cloner....Maybe even a side-by-side. I want this one to show me what I'll get with just standing water, humidity, and light first though.

BTW, did you pH your water down for your cuttings?

P.P.S. What do you think about LSTing a plant that's already on 12/12?

Morning airavata!

I'd ph around 7, that's what rainwater is.

There's no problem lst'ing in flower, I did it. The hard part is finding where to put the ties so they don't stunt developing colas.

I think I'm a couple days shy of the two-week mark, but there's enough going on, I'm posting a little early.

DSCF3456.JPG

NYCD has stretched about 10" and gotten really bushy.

DSCF3458.JPG

Just shy of 2' tall.

DSCF3460.JPG

Not bad for less than 2 weeks in bloom. I'm gonna have to get her a training bra.

DSCF3462.JPG

High Plains is a BEAST!

DSCF3467.JPG

Did a res change and the entire plant shifted b/c it was so damn top-heavy. Now all the plants are the same height without me having to LST! :cheer:

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom