Horizontal Scrog Part 1-Grow 2-Jarhed's Unknown Clones

grogreen

Howdy everyone and welcome back to an all new exciting edition of Jarhed's closet grow, let me start off by thanking you guys for checking it out, and I hope you guys sub along for the ride. I'll start off with my strains, I believe I may have mislabeled my clones, but as far as I know i have jock horror and space queen clones. I'm growing in the exact same medium as my last grow, just a soiless mix, sunshine mix #1, plant prod 20-20-20 for vegging nutes, using a 4 bulb 2 ft t5 HO fixture inside my 2 ft x 2ft x 4 ft grow tent. I started these clones nearly two months ago, they took nearly a month to root but now have grown into two beautiful young ladies.

My goal this grow is to take the knowledge and experience from my first grow and expand my horizons in the grow game, by growing a *horizontal* plant. I'm doing this for two reasons, just to see if I can and also because the house I'm moving to has a perfect but SPACE LIMITED spot for me to grow in complete stealth. It has maybe 3-4 feet of head room, so this will be quite the challenge, but I've always liked a good challenge!

Here's some pics from start to current:
IMG_20120810_215012.jpg
IMG_20120810_215005.jpg
IMG_20120810_214952.jpg
IMG_20120810_215018.jpg

As you can see in the pictures above, before I had my t5's I was using a little halogen lamp to grow these which caused a crazy stretch phase. But I've seemed to figure that out now, here's some photos as the plants have progressed:
IMG_20120812_121036.jpg
IMG_20120812_121054.jpg
IMG_20120825_144716.jpg
IMG_20120825_144836.jpg
IMG_20120825_144458.jpg
IMG_20120825_144427.jpg
IMG_20120825_144905.jpg
IMG_20120825_144914.jpg
IMG_20120901_200725.jpg
IMG_20120901_200734.jpg
IMG_20120903_150256.jpg
IMG_20120903_150317.jpg
IMG_20120903_150334.jpg
IMG_20120903_151323.jpg
IMG_20120903_150922.jpg
IMG_20120903_151323.jpg

Looking nice mate - liking the use of tape for the hardcore LST; it's a nice idea and I imagine is pretty easy and has less potential to cut into the stems like wire. Are you just using the tape to bend them LST-style, or super cropping and then taping down temporarily to stop them springing back up? And are going to bother with the screen for a scrog or wait until you've moved? I imagine it could be a bit of a nightmare trying to extract everything from a screen when it comes to having to move house, and I notice they're in flower so I guess you're planning to let them do their thing? Questions, questions!

*horizontal* plant. I'm doing this for two reasons, just to see if I can and also because the house I'm moving to has a perfect but SPACE LIMITED spot for me to grow in complete stealth. It has maybe 3-4 feet of head room, so this will be quite the challenge, but I've always liked a good challenge!

Very excited to see your use of this fantastic space, going to be good! I too love your use of Gaffer tape!:thumb::goodjob::thumb:

Looking nice mate - liking the use of tape for the hardcore LST; it's a nice idea and I imagine is pretty easy and has less potential to cut into the stems like wire. Are you just using the tape to bend them LST-style, or super cropping and then taping down temporarily to stop them springing back up? And are going to bother with the screen for a scrog or wait until you've moved? I imagine it could be a bit of a nightmare trying to extract everything from a screen when it comes to having to move house, and I notice they're in flower so I guess you're planning to let them do their thing? Questions, questions!

Yep I'd say its hardest of the hardcore LST, put it this way, I had to bend it so hard that the tension on the tape caused it to break free and i had to re-tape it. And yes it is a very easy technique, and puts much less stress on the plants than topping and fimming, and you're basically achieving the same results by exposing and growing the bottom branches that would normally contain all your pop corn buds and giving them the potential to be fat main colas. I went from about 15 main branches on each plant to about 40 after doing the LST, these will all be top buds which right before flower I plan to super crop for maximum bud growth and nutrient uptake. So to answer your question, no super cropping has been done as of yet. I will start flowering early October when I move to my new place.
And yes I plan to setup my scrog at the new house, no sense in stressing them out now by training them through the screen just to have to remove the screen in a couple weeks for transport. Just gonna let them grow and keep them as horizontal as possible, and when the time comes the screen will be placed over them and then immediately tripped to flower as to not give it much of a chance to gain much height, just enough to grow through the screen and produce fat 1 pound buds :) They're actually not in flower, I have them on 24/0 still I just think they're both so anxious to flower they are producing pre flowers everywhere! These two plants stink more now than my last 3 full grown plants, its crazy, this is a good sign people! I'm excited to move for sooooo many reason! ( just hate the packing part FML!)

Very excited to see your use of this fantastic space, going to be good! I too love your use of Gaffer tape!:thumb::goodjob::thumb:
We'll this is just a temporary grow space in this closet but it works great for a vegging room, stay tuned for my super stealth new house grow space. I figured I'm not an electrician so might as well put that stupid tape to use, I had used it for installing my car stereo but had no other use other than what I'm using it for now, it works great. Thanks for stopping by

First of all thanks for stopping by again, NOW I'm going to let you in on the little secret of how to grow a plant horizontally, I don't know if anyone has EVER tried this before therefore I would like to cordially name this technique "tipping" :) OK so all of you who have been following my journal know my grow goal, but for those of you who don't, I want to successfully grow a 5 ft plant completely horizontally. To achieve that I started extreme LST'ing at about 10 inches tall.....as it got taller I continued to tape new shoots to force the plant sideways instead of growing up. So far so good plant is roughly 3.5 feet tall and completely horizontal. Now this brings me to "tipping" .....I was running out of room to grow horizontally in my closet so I tipped my plants on their side, and this is immediately after tipping, and I will continue to update but I'm 99% sure this is going to work. I think by doing this I will have a very successful bountiful plants with hundreds of main colas. So here is what my experiment looks like:
IMG_20120909_140201.jpg
IMG_20120909_140503.jpg
IMG_20120909_141445.jpg
IMG_20120909_141439.jpg
IMG_20120909_141543.jpg
IMG_20120909_141556.jpg
IMG_20120909_141620.jpg
IMG_20120909_141629.jpg
IMG_20120909_141608.jpg
IMG_20120909_141649.jpg
IMG_20120909_141643.jpg

Hello again just wanted to give you guys a quick update, so if you look at the above photos I took yesterday with my tipping technique, you'll see all you see is undersides of leaves because when I had the plants upright they were all fighting to try and make it toward the light.
So I think I've developed a way to train the plant to grow both ways, by this I mean, by LSTing you are basically exposing bottom branches and nodes to light that they wouldn't otherwise get due to being over shadowed by higher growing fan leaves, branches etc. Well when you LST you basically fool the plant into thinking its lower branches are top branches and it basically ceases the growing of the bent over top because that then becomes a bottom or lower branch ( in my extreme LST case anyways).........you following me people? Its not rocket appliances.....OK that being said, when I use my tipping method what I do is trick the plant again (these plants are so gullible) by tipping it onto its side it then thinks the branches I originally tied down to LST are once again top branches, and the lower branches that became top branches again become bottom branches. It sounds more confusing than it is, so here I'll show you a picture of what I mean, compare these pictures to the ones I posted above and maybe it will make more sense to you

IMG_20120910_080353.jpg
IMG_20120910_080418.jpg

The next two pics will show that the branches that used to fight to grow vertically are now growing horizontal, I plan to grow these plants now to my desired horizontal height and then I will upright the plant pots, and build reinforcement to keep the plants off the ground and by using this particular method I should be able to eliminate popcorn bud sites and turn every bud site into a potential main bud site ...... in theory.
IMG_20120910_080513.jpg
IMG_20120910_080506.jpg

By doing this method what happens it the entire plant grows at the same rate virtually stress free. I grew out all the lower branches through LST to the desired height level I plan to flower at, and then through tipping, I stopped those lower branches growth at that height by turning the plant side ways and not allowing those branches to receive as much light as they did during LST. In turn, or tip, the bent over main stalk has a chance to grow up(vertical) (which is actually horizontal, because remember plants are on their side) now what I plan to do is super crop a few of the branches to slow their growth, to give shorter branches a chance to catch up and outgrow the their super cropped buddies. This would be much easier to describe with a diagram, but do you guys get where I'm going with this? I do step by step details and photos as I go..........grogr33n

ok well here is a diagram i made up, lol you all should get a good laugh, but its the best i could do
plant_diagram.png

you may need a magnifying glass to see it or have to zoom in using control button and your mouse scroller, but you should get the just of it here, im going to have a five foot plant that is only a foot tall because its grown completely sideways, and every possible budsite on the plant will have light exposure MAXIMIZING my yield! No more pop corn buds, just fat main colas, i plan to super crop today so I will take pics before and after photos

i going to break down my diagram so its easier to see and read so this is what i started with,
plant1.png
and after the LST the bottom branches reached the height where i will be flowering them
plant2.png
so then I tipped my plant on its side to restrict light to those branches that are ready to flower and focused on continuing to grow my plant taller (horizontally) and this is what my final result will look like
plant3.png

Not sure I follow your logic, I'll grab a seat whilst it's demonstrated

:thumb: should be fun

:hookah:(After some meds):hookah:

Got it, can see it, Brilliant!

well I was on meds when I wrote that lol but it made sense in my head, maybe the diagram I drew will give ya a better idea, lol thats two hours of my life I will never get back

Congra...i know exactly what you are doing...i didn't think it would be enough room inside..but i did start a horizontal outside using a pvc pipe...i called it my pole lady..unfortionately the plant was in poor soil and died..i will try again next summer...so ..you got a lot of seeds from Herbies...i bet you didn't get that Auto Pounder...i got it..going to see if i can get a 1/2 lb...your plants are looking good..i grew 2 jocks inside last winter..didn't get to much yield...poor lighting..i just put seeds in pots today...what plant do you have growing sideways..i found out the way to produce more budsites is to reveg your plant...i got a revegged Jock Horror growing in my outside garden..shes a huge bush...6 x 5 ft...too big for inside...to fit that inside you would have to cut down the veg time...grow 2 weeks and put her on 12/12..as soon as she starts to flower..put her on 24/0..when she revegges..put her on 18/6..try it...:thumb:

Congra...i know exactly what you are doing...i didn't think it would be enough room inside..but i did start a horizontal outside using a pvc pipe...i called it my pole lady..unfortionately the plant was in poor soil and died..i will try again next summer...so ..you got a lot of seeds from Herbies...i bet you didn't get that Auto Pounder...i got it..going to see if i can get a 1/2 lb...your plants are looking good..i grew 2 jocks inside last winter..didn't get to much yield...poor lighting..i just put seeds in pots today...what plant do you have growing sideways..i found out the way to produce more budsites is to reveg your plant...i got a revegged Jock Horror growing in my outside garden..shes a huge bush...6 x 5 ft...too big for inside...to fit that inside you would have to cut down the veg time...grow 2 weeks and put her on 12/12..as soon as she starts to flower..put her on 24/0..when she revegges..put her on 18/6..try it...:thumb:
Hey miwa, glad someone knows what I'm talking about, was beginning to think I was speaking a different language. But main reason for me growing horizontally is my new house has a crawl space and I have unlimited space length and width wise, but have limited head space, so I gotta figure out a way to utilize the space so this is just an experiment at this point, I want to maximize yield and utilize space.
Yes I purchased 16 female seeds from herbies, not sure if you saw which ones but I got like 17 freebies too, which is not a bad deal, but considering my first grow I spent $40 on seeds this was an investment. I also recently purchased a 2nd MH/HPS combo kit so I'll have two 400 watt hps and one 400 watt metal halide with a warm deluxe bulb for flowering so I plan to run all three for the optimum spectrum and maximum light output, I'm currently vegging under a t5.

I did not purchase any autos, I want to have full control over when my plants flower, therefore I've never been interested in trying an auto, some people have good success with them and some people have very poor yields, and a lot of overall disappointment. Maybe someday when they find the right strain combination to guarantee huge yields, but for now I like what I got going on. Right now I have two plants, clones from last grow, its the jock horror and space Jill/space queen. My white widow clones didn't make it, I had one that I think rooted but I dropped it and the stalk broke :rip: so I'm going to flower these ones out and in the mean time sprout some of the seeds I got from herbies when I receive them for next grow.
What did you mean when you said " to fit that inside you would have to cut down the veg time...grow 2 weeks and put her on 12/12..as soon as she starts to flower..put her on 24/0..when she revegges..put her on 18/6..try it." ? Flip it to flower, then back to veg? Won't I lose like a month doing that? I thought re-veg was meant for after harvest? By leaving some of the smaller buds on the plant and then vegging it out again. I don't understand what you mean by grow 2 weeks, flower, then re-veg....why not just veg longer, wouldn't it have the same effect? Explain your logic..... are you saying by doing that you'll know where your main bud sites are going to be, then when you re-veg more bud sites will grow out of your old bud sites, as to say it may double your amount of bud sites? That's an interesting concept. I'm more than willing to experiment (as you can tell lol)
I'm hoping if all goes as planned with this horizontal scrog with these two plants, judging from my last harvest and yield I think I should easily be able to produce a pound between the two. I got about a half pound between three and that was with only three foot vertical plants, but growing horizontally I'm confident I can double if not triple what a vertical plant can for the simple fact that you expose more of the hidden nodes in the middle and bottom of the plant. I've been running 24/0 since clones rooted, but today I had to shut off my lights b cuz landlord stopped by so I think I may start 12/12 tomorrow, just gonna leave the lights off for 24 hrs. Wish me luck............Grogr33n

Seeds I purchased from herbies (420 mag sponsor) from high recommendation of DP. We will see how things go but here's the strains I purchased:
Advanced seeds-1x ice kush feminised
Bomb seeds-5x BOMB THC BOMB feminised
Green house seeds-3x Himalayan gold feminised
Green house seeds-3x white rhino feminised
Homegrown fantaseeds-5x first lady (white widow)

And these are my free seeds

> FREE: 1 X Royal Queen Fruit Spirit Feminised Seed, 2 X Royal Queen Critical Feminised Seeds, 3 X Royal Queen Power Flower Feminised Seeds, 10 X Seedsman Sleestack x Skunk#1 Regular Seeds

Also purchased a second 400watt MH/HPS combo kit, so that brings my light total to
2x400 watt HPS/MH combo
1x400 watt MH with warm deluxe flowering bulb
1x 96 watt T5 HO 4 bulb fixture with 4x24 watt 6500k
My next purchase I think will be a couple quality red LED panels to put on the underside of my horizontal plant to provide penetration from top and bottom. I'm also considering setting up two separate flower rooms at my new place so I can grow more, faster. With a light track in each room I think one 400 watter should do me anywhere from 3-6 plants each room depending on the variables (track length, plant size, type of grow (scrog,sog) space) I've not yet had a chance to check out the crawl space I plan to grow in, would have been rather weird while I was looking at the house to just go crawling around in there to get an idea of what I have to work with, just going to have the play it by ear. I don't think I've ever been excited to move, but I think I am now can't wait to have my own place and not worry about landlords stopping by unexpected, WORST PET PEEVE EVER. Stay tuned this grow is about to get exciting :)

Hey jarhed, love to join for your second take......

:peace:

And yes unannounced landlord visits are a huge pet peeve I agree

:peace:

Awesome well grab a seat and some munchies this is going to get interesting, kinda at a stand still with the landlords showing the house, I've had to keep the lights off the past few days, plants are probly all confused but after I know all the landlords visits are done, she's going into flower, going to initiate flower with my t5's and then when the time comes they will be put under two 400 watt HPS, these plants are just to kill time until my herbies order arrives and thrives, I'm bored with these strains, can't wait to try something new, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas right now :)

Back
Top Bottom