How do I know when it's time to veg?

Greenethumb42

Can someone please help me with some knowledge how do I know when it's time to veg..my 2 bigger plants are 15 days old..I also am using Happy Frog soil with a pH of 6.8..I do know they are health well they look to me special the one in the bucket with the number 2 on it..it looks like it is on stairoids(sp)..it is branching out everywhere..I'm not sure what kind of strain it is or even if the are male or female the seeds where gave to me..the pic of the roots are what they looked like when I transplanted them..the tap roots was coming out of the cup and they were only 10 days old..I have only gave them one 1/4 strength feed so far...can someone look at them and tell me what they think..tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I need to do.
20151224_014230.jpg
20151224_014239.jpg
20151224_014249.jpg
20151224_014259.jpg
20151224_014311.jpg
20151224_014319.jpg
20151221_014653.jpg

Can someone please help me with some knowledge how do I know when it's time to veg..my 2 bigger plants are 15 days old..I also am using Happy Frog soil with a pH of 6.8..I do know they are health well they look to me special the one in the bucket with the number 2 on it..it looks like it is on stairoids(sp)..it is branching out everywhere..I'm not sure what kind of strain it is or even if the are male or female the seeds where gave to me..the pic of the roots are what they looked like when I transplanted them..the tap roots was coming out of the cup and they were only 10 days old..I have only gave them one 1/4 strength feed so far...can someone look at them and tell me what they think..tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I need to do.
20151224_014230.jpg
20151224_014239.jpg
20151224_014249.jpg
20151224_014259.jpg
20151224_014311.jpg
20151224_014319.jpg
20151221_014653.jpg

Hey 420 Friend ... To me they look great !! and your question That depends all on you when you want to sent them into flowering ...
Depends on how big your growbox is ... They get a big stretch like double or triple the size ... so yea Im at my First grow right now ... I had 1 Critical kush sent it into flower when it was 25cm now it is 65cm and i am about to harvest ... other then that you are pretty much free to choose when you sent them to flower ! Merry Christmas :) from Europe haha

It does look good and healthy. I believe you may have your terminology incorrect though. The period when the plant is growing and getting bigger (the period of growth you are in right now), is called the "veg" period. You can veg you plant as long as you like, the only catch is how much room you have. When you switch your lighting to 12 hours of light and 12 hour of darkness, this will start the "flowering"/"budding" period of growth. Once you start flowering, the plant will easily double or triple in size, so keep this in mind when you decide how long you are going to "veg" your plant for.

Gopher pretty much answered that one. Veg as long as you want and flower them based on how much room you have, keeping in mind that they'll continue to get larger especially in the early part of flowering. For example, i used to grow 9 plants in a 4' x 4' space. I would start flowering when they were about 12" high, in three gallon pots. The space would be packed full, with a 16" square area for each plant. Now I grow them a bit larger and do 4 plants in roughly that same area.
It takes about 4-7 weeks for a plant grown from seed to get mature enough to flower.
It will then start flowering if it is put under the right lighting schedule (12/12).
It will continue to veg if it's left under vegetative lighting (18/6 usually)
An immature plant grown under 12/12 lighting will still only start flowering when it reaches maturity at 4-7 weeks or whatever.

Check this link. ;)
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

So if they 16 days old and there about 6"in.tall right now so you think another 2 weeks would be good..I have 3 plants the little one is a week behind the bigger two so when I flower I'm gonna flower all 3 at the same rime..my grow area is about 4x4

Yes you'll have to leave them a couple more weeks anyway, to reach maturity. That is- you can flip them to 12/12 now but they probably wouldn't start flowering for at least a couple weeks, and they'd be smaller because of the reduced light.
Assuming that the 4x4 area is all well lit, then you have the option to veg them much longer. I would veg for at least two months to fill that space with 3 plants. I would do a fair amount of training to spread them out wide enough to fill the space. Whether or not you want to do that I don't know. You definitely won't fill that space if you start flowering in two weeks, if that's what you're aiming for.

Actually I grow my four plants per light in a scrog setup- which basically is a way to spread the plants' canopies out under the light. Here's a link for you which may give you an idea of size. He also tops and trains his plants. How vegetative growth time exponentially affects yield and grows hydro which tends to be faster.

It does look good and healthy. I believe you may have your terminology incorrect though. The period when the plant is growing and getting bigger (the period of growth you are in right now), is called the "veg" period. You can veg you plant as long as you like, the only catch is how much room you have. When you switch your lighting to 12 hours of light and 12 hour of darkness, this will start the "flowering"/"budding" period of growth. Once you start flowering, the plant will easily double or triple in size, so keep this in mind when you decide how long you are going to "veg" your plant for.
Exactly, @go4snypr has it right. Its all up to you how long you want to veg [with in reason of course].

Sent from my SM-N920V using 420

You want it branching everywhere. the more branches the more bud sites. if you are going to scrog, then try to keep an even canopy by topping and bending. As for how long, again it depends on the room you have. I veg for 10-12 weeks, my plants take up almost a 4x4 area each before I flower them. Once in flower I throw my screen on to keep everything even and let the branches grow thru my screen. I have 2 plants in a 12x16 area with an 8 foot roof. If your plants all get to 1x1, and you have 4, that will fill your area.

Do you think it's safe to start feeding..yesterday I feed with a 1/4 of a teaspoon of grow big..it said to use one teaspoon..I'm probably gonna keep them in veg for another 4 weeks..also yesterday I fimed them too..all but the smaller one..I grew one plant last summer but it was outside then I brought it in side cause it was getting cold and finished it..if you look at my older pics you will see it..I could of did better but for my first one not bad..I'm just afraid of fucking everything up

OK so my little grow box is 3.5×3.5 with a 4 foot ceiling and my plants are 17 days old..and I'm gonna scrog..with that being said if you was in my shoes how much longer would you wait to flower or what would you do different

Hint on turning your photos right side up instead of rotated 90 degrees. Before you upload your photo, crop and save, then upload the saved photo.

This normally changes the stored photo from 'rotated 90 degrees'(info the upload process loses) to 'saved as is' (which looks good uploaded 'as is.')

Too early to be sure, but those balls in the crotch may mean what i means when mammals show balls in the crotch. Wait a few days. When you see the balls clustering in groups of 2 or more, you can be sure it is a male plant. Suitable for breeding an 'spoiling' the girl plants, unsuitable for making potent THC.

Usually males show there sex first right...if so looks like I'm gonna have 1 male

Nothing about that plant looks female - but you can afford to wait a week to be sure.
I had one male plant take 3 weeks under 12/12 to show sex, 4 weeks after the last girl showed sex.

To return to the question about how long to veg -

How high above the floor can you hang your light?
How high off the floor is your soil line?
How close can your girls get to the light? (it depends on the type of light)

Depending on your answers, you might need to switch from veg to flowering mode when your girls are 8"-16" tall (in a 48" tall tent.)

Back
Top Bottom