How long before stored cannabis loses its freshness?

Cannot believe i was not already following you @Auggie as I do follow every active member if I can.

you are a pretty :love: sole friend,, ha

haha,, edit,,

you may well indeed be a fish,, :yahoo:

and yer fishy soul is quite :love:, erly

I know that cannabis ages and loses some of it's THC over time. My question is; if I stored cannabis in a dark cool place inside mason jars, how long before the potency starts to decline?
You got me curious. I’ve got a jar of Blueberry I’ve had around forever so I just went and checked it out. Been stored in the jar in the dark for five years. Actually almost six I guess.

It has a funny smell in the jar now. Definitely an ‘old’ smell- not bad but a bit strong like juniper or something. If I crumble the bud I do get a good blast of an awesome blueberry pie smell, mixed in with this sort of ‘old juniper potpourri’.

Had a puff in the pipe just now in the name of science. I’m stoned. Not super stoned but it was a pretty small puff. TBH I never liked the strain that much- the high felt too indica for me which I guess is mainly why it lasted so long :laughtwo: But it’s a nice glow now. Debating whether to go smoke more :hmmmm:
Anyway the stuff still works for sure.

P Chunk bud for comparison.

Edit. I smoked more :D And vaped a bunch - the flavour vaped is amazing. It’s definitely gotten weaker since five years ago, but it’s still making me happy.

You got me curious. I’ve got a jar of Blueberry I’ve had around forever so I just went and checked it out. Been stored in the jar in the dark for five years. Actually almost six I guess.

It has a funny smell in the jar now. Definitely an ‘old’ smell- not bad but a bit strong like juniper or something. If I crumble the bud I do get a good blast of an awesome blueberry pie smell, mixed in with this sort of ‘old juniper potpourri’.

Had a puff in the pipe just now in the name of science. I’m stoned. Not super stoned but it was a pretty small puff. TBH I never liked the strain that much- the high felt too indica for me which I guess is mainly why it lasted so long :laughtwo: But it’s a nice glow now. Debating whether to go smoke more :hmmmm:
Anyway the stuff still works for sure.

P Chunk bud for comparison.

Edit. I smoked more :D And vaped a bunch - the flavour vaped is amazing. It’s definitely gotten weaker since five years ago, but it’s still making me happy.
That "old" smell is what I think people call the "buried" smell in my country. I want my weed to maintain the same color, smell and potency, although I don't plan to store it for six years :D

The potency doesn’t diminish very quickly. But the color definitely changes within the first year. I assume that would be caused by oxidization, and the only way you would be able to avoid that would be to remove or displace the oxygen in the container somehow. Various options there.

The potency doesn’t diminish very quickly. But the color definitely changes within the first year. I assume that would be caused by oxidization, and the only way you would be able to avoid that would be to remove or displace the oxygen in the container somehow. Various options there.
Vac sealing the jars and using Air out oxygen absorbers might do the trick. I'll give that a try.

They found a grave in China that had a burial shroud of cannabis flowers the farmer grew before dying and it was over 2.5 thousand years and still had Thc in the flowers and seeds that were recognizable as ganja.
Thats when you link a YouTube video big cat im so cooked i wanna see ancient Jackie chan weed

Oxygen breaks down THC so the less oxygen the longer you can store it (this means full buds wont last as long as ground up buds since there more room for air in the package). ...this is AFTER curing though, as Pennywise mentioned, because you will need to get the THC-A into THC by properly curing it.

If done right you could store it for a year or two with no issues at all.

when i was in my 20's we found garbage bags of old weed stuffed in the walls of a rental house.
it was probably from the 60's or 70's, and wouldn't have been great to begin. talk about horrid storage conditions on top .. :laughtwo:

didn't stop us from throwing a free weed rager. we were rolling baseball bats, but the stuff still worked if you could get enough down lol :p

when i was in my 20's we found garbage bags of old weed stuffed in the walls of a rental house.
it was probably from the 60's or 70's, and wouldn't have been great to begin. talk about horrid storage conditions on top .. :laughtwo:

didn't stop us from throwing a free weed rager. we were rolling baseball bats, but the stuff still worked if you could get enough down lol :p
One of my high school buddies dad owned and operated a commercial fishing boat out of San Francisco.
Sometimes he'd let us take it out fishing.

There was four of us on board, prolly 1975ish or so. Fished all day and really did well.
On the way back the skipper slows down and I go up to the flybridge and he's looking out of glasses and saying that there's something in the water, "up there, see it?"
It looked like a square black brick, wallowing in the swell.

We pull it in and it's something wrapped in real heavy plastic, the kind you line pools with, black. The tape was really strong but we got it open to discover kilos, and kilos of Thai Stick.

We thew a party that night too.
We called it "Sea Weed" and we never told our story to anyone.
We also agreed to never sell it - we could use it, gift it .. but not trade for value or sell.

To my knowledge, the other guys never told their story.
It was to our advantage to STFU.
The smugglers would kill us, the government would bury us in prison.

Sometimes I wonder what the hell miracle happened to get me to the age that I am.

I got about 1/3rd of an ounce left of some excellent Blueberry that was laid down on 9/26/18 so 2 years and 2+ months and its better today than it was a year ago and way better than it was 2 years ago.

It breaks up just like a soft buttery hash, super sticky.
Its exceptionally smooth, very Blueberry taste, I am sure its converted some THC into CBN but it seems just as stoney to me as it always has.
Even if it has lost a few % of THC all that means is I get to take an extra hit of exceptionally tasty bud to get the same effect, iam fine with that.

20201206_220239.jpg
20201206_220941.jpg

Back
Top Bottom