Humidity vs no humidity?

You must be a sativa freak. Here, here! Just try not to over think. Fat chance!
You have no idea I love the sativa's....over thinking what's that lol

I grow outdoors in high desert where the humidity levels never exceed 15%. And iv always wondered what the thoughts were as my garden never seemed to have any issues like low humidity does indoors. I feel like after reading some of this. RH could be the problem for a lot of new growers rather than lockout

Until tried yes it's "laughable"....but just like all the other "methods" here they have been scrutinized before trial and error... Think of coco if you grew in soil your whole life and someone said "yea it's not that hard you water with nutes Everytime, everyday and it will all run out", you would think wtf are they talking about and what a waste of product.... Just thinking outside of the box.
HH - definitely not knocking thinking outside the box, I've been doing that all of my life, to be frank. My response was meant to be tongue in cheek…I mean, you gotta admit, it did flow pretty nicely. ;-)

As other posters have touched on, you can maintain VPD by following RH + LST combinations that range over a very long curve. But VPD is a factor in only in transpiration. Yes, that's very important but there are other systems that will be impacted. Another impact of RH is water uptake which directly impacts nutrient uptake. Why I'd look askance at your proposition is that, when you drop RH to extreme levels, the amount of nutes that your plants will take up will have to be quite low and, generally speaking, "quite low levels of nutes" # high yields.

That's the thinking behind reply. If you can get it to work, more power to you but, based on the fact that we grow the vast majority of our crops in well irrigated fields and very few of them in the Sahara, you might be facing and uphill battle there.

Re. "waste of product" - amen to that. Lots of comments here on 420 re. that the level of nutrients cannabis growers use is so high that we're pissing tons of money. A paper written by a Canadian group (perhaps Guelph or U of T) said that growers in Ontario were using so much K that it was causing issues in the ground water in the province. That's nuts! Personally, I decided to switch from bottled nutes to a modified recipe of Jack's 3-2-1.

Hats off for thinking outside the box - we're facing crushing conformity here in the US which is sad because our lot only improves by people who "think different". Full disclosure - I'm a Mac user from 1980's and was a software engineer for Apple. We call it "Drinking upstream from the herd".

Hey thanks @Delps8 yea sorry if my speech to type pattern may have come off as snarky lol but yes it all makes sense to me....like every bit.....but then my mind goes back to if they need humidity then how do they grow in Mexico and other highly arid environments where humidity is almost impossible.....but it's a thing lol and that is absolutely nuts that there's so many growers having runoff that it's showing high amounts of K in test :laugh: that just tells how many growers there really is in an area.... I was considering trying to use an all natural food source....I read something about soaking banana peels and other fruit/veggies in a jar of water for 24-48 hours and using the water for feed as it now contains all the nutrients from the soaked products .... But I need to read up a bit on it.

Hey thanks @Delps8 yea sorry if my speech to type pattern may have come off as snarky lol but yes it all makes sense to me....like every bit.....but then my mind goes back to if they need humidity then how do they grow in Mexico and other highly arid environments where humidity is almost impossible.....but it's a thing lol and that is absolutely nuts that there's so many growers having runoff that it's showing high amounts of K in test :laugh: that just tells how many growers there really is in an area.... I was considering trying to use an all natural food source....I read something about soaking banana peels and other fruit/veggies in a jar of water for 24-48 hours and using the water for feed as it now contains all the nutrients from the soaked products .... But I need to read up a bit on it.
"Hey thanks @Delps8 yea sorry if my speech to type pattern may have come off as snarky" - not in the least. You're throwing out ideas and that takes some stones to do that. Much respect.

"but then my mind goes back to if they need humidity then how do they grow in Mexico and other highly arid environments where humidity is almost impossible"
Understood. Life adapts to the environment. Check out "organisms near underwater vents" in your favorite search engine. Incredible stuff.

Re. cannabis in the desert - it can grow but can it have the yield of a plant that's at 78° and 60% RH? I don't see how it could but, per the link above, plants adapt. Heck, ruderalis grow in the Russian steppes - that's brutal! And yet, it does OK.

"I read something about soaking banana peels and other fruit/veggies in a jar of water for 24-48 hours and using the water for feed as it now contains all the nutrients from the soaked products .... But I need to read up a bit on it."
It's worth a try, right?

Yea plants grow in all kinds of weird environments... which is why they fascinate me. Thanks for the link I'll read through that later tonight once the kid passes out.

But for the "all natural solution" these are some things I've read.

"Banana peels contain lots of nutrients, including potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and calcium"

"Diluted coffee adds nitrogen"

"Epsom salt is a pure mineral compound of magnesium sulfate while ammonia is high in nitrogen. Both are excellent for plant health and will improve your grow"

"Kitchen scraps such as onion peels, carrot tops, and even water from boiled veggies or pasta are just a few of the valuable ingredients"

So essentially it's a compost tea....varying directions from each place as to how long to let product sit in water...and to blend or not to blend.....but 2 days and at least fine chopped product to allow more nutrients to exit into the water.

But I got my answer searching through on the humidity topic....basically the reason plants survive in hot low humidity climates is that (1) they have deep roots that tap deep water sources and (2) certain types of plants produce a wax or film that coats them and allows them to retain water, but the coating is special as it allows stomata to open and close and kinda self regulate when it needs to close to save water or open to breath. This is link if your interested.

Wax helps plants to survive in the desert

Back
Top Bottom