I need help: Coco pH

stop testing the runoff thinking that this is an important measurement. Worrying about this is confusing you and it does NOT indicate the pH of your grow mix.
adjust the pH of your nutrient mix to 5.8, and apply it to the container of coco. Do not concern yourself as to what the run off pH is... it is NOT important to you at this time. Simply adjust the pH of the fluids going in to 5.8, and everything will be ok.

Exactly what she said! I might add.. Water to good runoff at least every 3rd day. If you can, water to runoff every day one time. Good luck!

My ph does the same I put It in at 5.8 and it comes out at 6.7 but my girls look great in water 2-3x a day top feeding. I am glad I found this because I was getting worried because this is my first 100% coco grow.

My ph does the same I put It in at 5.8 and it comes out at 6.7 but my girls look great in water 2-3x a day top feeding. I am glad I found this because I was getting worried because this is my first 100% coco grow.

I like your question, I have found the problem, the problem of fertilizer I use, every time I adjusted to ph5.5 but runoff is ph6.5 more.
For this I did an experiment with two containers ph adjusting agent were added without adding fertilizer; add fertilizer to add ph regulator, wait two days to view the ph value.
The result is not adding fertilizer to add modifier ph ph or ph5.5, add fertilizer additions ph ph adjusting agent into a 6.7;
The results showed that automatic ph fertilizer, I now have to re-purchase the ph of fertilizer is not automatic, and so the arrival of a try, should solve my problem.
You can also try.

I like your question, I have found the problem, the problem of fertilizer I use, every time I adjusted to ph5.5 but runoff is ph6.5 more.
For this I did an experiment with two containers ph adjusting agent were added without adding fertilizer; add fertilizer to add ph regulator, wait two days to view the ph value.
The result is not adding fertilizer to add modifier ph ph or ph5.5, add fertilizer additions ph ph adjusting agent into a 6.7;
The results showed that automatic ph fertilizer, I now have to re-purchase the ph of fertilizer is not automatic, and so the arrival of a try, should solve my problem.
You can also try.

Not sure I understand, you are adjusting the pH before you add the fert?
I may be wrong in my reading of your post.

GR

If you flushed you plants with just plain water, bad idea. Any buffer that you have going on in your coco mix will be washed out, and you'll be seeing deficiencies pretty quickly, your pH will screw up, and your plants will suffer. I don't flush my plants ever. Make sure you feed enough to replace the nutrients from your previous feeding completely with new nutrients.

I dont know about watering 3-6 times a day. That seems a little ridiculous, I don't suggest doing that at all. Once a day is ok, twice a day is prime. If your coco dries out, it wont absorb the solution evenly, and you'll get salt build ups in your medium.

How are your plants looking? Do you have pictures?

Hope this helps!

stop testing the runoff thinking that this is an important measurement. Worrying about this is confusing you and it does NOT indicate the pH of your grow mix.
adjust the pH of your nutrient mix to 5.8, and apply it to the container of coco. Do not concern yourself as to what the run off pH is... it is NOT important to you at this time. Simply adjust the pH of the fluids going in to 5.8, and everything will be ok.

Emilya, is there a time when the pH runoff does matter? I'm a new grower and your comment raised the question.

Thanks. =]

Emilya, is there a time when the pH runoff does matter? I'm a new grower and your comment raised the question.

Thanks. =]

Sometimes people mix things into soils without a good idea as to the pH impact that it will cause. Dolomite lime for example, can cause a soil to drift upward very quickly, and seeing runoff quickly rise outside of the usable range when watering can alert you to this trouble. An opposite case occurs when large amounts of peat or sphagnum moss are added to a soil mix. As this moss breaks down after several weeks in the soil, it tends to drive the pH in the wrong direction, or down upon watering. This confusing situation can be seen by looking at the pH of the runoff and seeing that instead of drifting upwards, it goes in the opposite direction as expected, indicating a big problem with the grow.

Normally when you are working with a modern designer soil, these situations will not affect you and your soil will work as designed, slowly drifting upwards from the moment that you water. If you look at your runoff it can go either way, as the runoff water percolates through the soil to get to your meter, when in actuality, the measured pH has very little to do with the actual pH inside of the container. Without knowing what you are looking for or looking for an expected trend because of something extra added to the soil, the measurement of the run off pH means very little to the average gardener, as it almost has to be different than the incoming water. The trick is to know whether this difference is normal, or indicating a problem because of the soil mix.

Hey guys,

I am soon to be starting a grow in coco and this thead is confusing, surely its a simple as watering with feed once a day minimum, 2 would be ideal! and more if you got the time and dont have a life. Run off PH has no impact or indication of what your coco is because you are washing away all the toxins build up salts ect.

Simple Summary feed her 2 times a day with 5.8 PH optimum but you can sway between 5.7 - 5.9 before you go to work and when you get home from work with as much run off as you want if you got money to waste, coco will retain 30% air no matter how much water you give it so water away!

420Steve out guys keep it simple "Free the Weed"

the only thing you didnt mention was aerating the water before you use it so that the coco can retain the oxygen.. but yeah... if I hadn't gone organic this time I would have tried full out coco as a hydro medium next... it seems to be a great way to grow.

Ok, maby i am learning something new here which is good, you have to airate the water why surely it will breath when the coco starts to dry?

Ok, maby i am learning something new here which is good, you have to airate the water why surely it will breath when the coco starts to dry?

There are two ways to work coco, the inferior method is to treat it like soil and let it dry out all the way to the bottom before watering.

The superior way is to water constantly, keeping the medium wet and full of nutrients. To get away with this, you actively aerate your water with a fishtank air pump and air stone before you use it... and then the oxygen goes in with the water. Using this method you get all the advantages of hydro, without having to maintain a rez. I could probably accomplish this method, although I was a total failure at aeroponic hydro.

There are two ways to work coco, the inferior method is to treat it like soil and let it dry out all the way to the bottom before watering.

The superior way is to water constantly, keeping the medium wet and full of nutrients. To get away with this, you actively aerate your water with a fishtank air pump and air stone before you use it... and then the oxygen goes in with the water. Using this method you get all the advantages of hydro, without having to maintain a rez. I could probably accomplish this method, although I was a total failure at aeroponic hydro.

bringing up an old thread, but this comment makes me wonder about hydrogen peroxide. can h202 be used for oxidation purposes?

I'm one of the few people here who had a 'valid' reason for testing runoff ph of Coco! (Sorry if my posts on my issues, caused people to think that you have to measure "runoff PH"! ) I had to buy some brick coco as my local hydro store was out of "real" coco! I had 4 seeds - which sprouted very well, and then turned yellow and died when I put them in the coco. [keep in mind I had followed the manufacture's specifications implicitly! To try and figure out why my plants died, I had to resort to pouring distilled water through the Coco [Something you should never do - Unless it's a controlled test] - I discovered the runoff was over 1800ppm, and for seedlings .. that is what was killing my plants. But NEVER put plain water through Coco! Sorry if my posting about testing coco runoff, caused any confusion or harm.

Are you saying that coco should be watered to run off 3-6 times a day .

That's Bullshit, i never Water my 15l Airport more than 2-3 liter 1 x Day runoff is most 0.5l and the EC is on point! If you don't want to Water with a lot runoff decrease the EC and watch how much the Plant eats when the EC runoff is higher than the EC you put in decrease the EC.

That's Bullshit, i never Water my 15l Airport more than 2-3 liter 1 x Day runoff is most 0.5l and the EC is on point! If you don't want to Water with a lot runoff decrease the EC and watch how much the Plant eats when the EC runoff is higher than the EC you put in decrease the EC.

I agree, except for the amount of runoff. And as you say, if your EC is on point then the stage of growth determines the number of times you need to water. I run 1 gallon Smart Pots, and in flower I started with 2 cycles per day, I am at day 27 and I run 4 cycles @ 1.3 to 1.4 EC.
Less is More, running 4 ml Base nutes which gives me 300 +/- ppm.
Today my overall EC including all inputs is 1.34, rarely check runoff but did today and the ppm was 555 or 1.11 EC. Now I run 4 cycles and my DTW is 30% plus, if I run less than 30% my EC will climb above the original input, which is not good. Depending on how much the differential is EC in compared to EC out tells you how much the plant is up-taking. If the number is higher than your input you will get nute buildup in the pot and may need flushing.
This is JMHO, other may think differently. I have reach this point because I have constantly tried increasing the EC and at some point I get burn and lockout. Since I have changed to this regime no burn and no lockout.

Back
Top Bottom