I need methods to reduce electricity bills

Then by all means invest in the newest tech and change your method to SoG, then you'll be able to keep the same yearly yield using less than half the power you use now.

You haven't read enough then, you don't risk anything by using GLR, you just use less energy ;)

I dont want to get less yield then normal so this is the risk for me because I didn't try or saw the method before.
I'm always watching videos and reading journals before trying new things and I don't have that time for investigate right now. But I will dig this weekend.

Yes, I completed my first grow in September, 3' x 3' scrog 4 plants, CoCo drain to waste set up with AN nutes. 260 watt Quantum boards. Yield was 442 grams dry flower.

Wow.. 442gr dry from 4 plant. 110gr per plant. This is awesome!
I love Samsung and I respect their job because they always trying to make BEST product on the market.
Also they're good at LED's so I trust them.

Quantum board uses Samsung LM301B and 223lm per W is really good. Think about I have 1200W = 267K lumens...
I even can not get half from 2 hps that number...
  • 0.2 W, 3 V mid power LED
  • Luminous Flux: 39.3 lm @ 65 mA
  • Luminous Efficacy: 223 lm/W

Its actually very cheap when you compare with other products..
For example "HLG 550 V2" its very good product and More quality than the half price (839$) of its competitors.

And the driverless COB manufacturer do not open word as samsung so we don't now the lumen for per watt for compare.
I found these for 150W AC COB LED.

Specification:
Power:150W
Input Voltage: AC110/220V
Light Source:LED COB
Lumens: 15000lm

It means 100lm/W
LM301B : 223 lm/W

This is very bad when we compared to LM301B.. Thats mean the AC led waste *2.2 more power for reaching same light.

BUT!! Everytime a BUT comes after good things.. It's a good board but not cheap... Atleast for me. $=x5 :(
So end of the day I'm going with Driverless COB's :confused:

Also I can't understand why the LM301 diode do not have 6500K model.. It must be!

When I examine leds, I get so much pains on my head.
Too much variety, too much lie, too much information...
End of the day you still don't know what is the best :rip::D

I dont want to get less yield then normal

It's what you do in flower that affects your yield, what you do in veg only affects the time it takes to veg the olants to the desired size, and using GLR gives you similar growth to 18/6.

And the driverless COB manufacturer do not open word as samsung so we don't now the lumen for per watt for compare.
I found these for 150W AC COB LED.

They're crap, HID is more efficient...

LM301B : 223 lm/W

That is the theoretical max of a single diode, there are no PCBs that reach those numbers, 3000K will be more like 175 lm/w. 4000K and 5000K will be around 190 lm/w.

Also I can't understand why the LM301 diode do not have 6500K model.. It must be!

They do exist, but there are no strips/boards with it, for veg you're better off with 4000K or 5000K anyway so don't worry about finding that.

End of the day you still don't know what is the best

You already said it... Something with LM301b diodes (or LM561c - S06 bin or better).

A HLG 550 is very expensive and inflexible path to take with LM301b, using strips or single board+heatsink is a way cheaper and better option.

If you're in the US I recommend looking at Atreum, they have cheap board+heatsink combos ;)

don't discount passively cooled cobs. they are cheaper to get into than the quantum is right now. i think quantum is going to ultimately prove better in the long run.

the one thing i like about cob is they produce similar, but every cob light i've seen uses less driver and energy than an equivalent quantum for a given area. quantums have better dispersion over all, but not by a lot and i'm hesitant to say the extra expense justifies it.

always build. the pre-made lights can't get close to a self build on any parameter you care to measure, from cost to result.

Couple thoughts.

You're on to something looking at the lm/w. This will tell you how efficient the chip is but lumens are not what plants use. Lumens are a weighted measurement towards the human eye's perception of white light. So lm/w of a white chip will help you choose efficient sources but lm/w of an entire fixture with mixed spectrum will not. Plants use different spectrums at different effectiveness. Look up absorption spectrum vs action spectrum.

COBs are less efficient but more cost effective and can be a really good solution.

Quantum boards are decent DIY solution as they kit everything for you and you have higher light emitting surface than a COB.

Hlg 550 is nice. I'd rather have either 2 or their 260 watt qb 288 v2 xw or 2 of the xl version. More flexibility and cheaper too. Good for different height plants. 3500k version on both or mix between different color temps for a more custom spectrum. The diy is too easy.

I noticed you didn't consider T5 in your original post when you mentioned using T8. Is there a reason for that or did you just happen to not include it? I for one really like T5 lighting. I'm vegging under four 48" Sun Blasters. Each is 54 watts HO. Can't complain.

Cut power costs, Use Natural light as much as possible...
On Samsung making best possible product.. they must send their faulty stuff over here then.. Brand with the most recalled products, from phones dishwashers dryers washing machines.. all I associate with them is Fire hazards... I do want to check out that quantum board lighting though...

Cut power costs, Use Natural light as much as possible...
On Samsung making best possible product.. they must send their faulty stuff over here then.. Brand with the most recalled products, from phones dishwashers dryers washing machines.. all I associate with them is Fire hazards... I do want to check out that quantum board lighting though...

Samsung is not ''one'' company, but a range of companies competing with each other on the same terms as non Samsung companies.

When it comes to high end diodes, Samsung SEMICONDUCTOR is the leader of the industry, at the moment with their LM561c and LM301 diodes, and a new red diode designed with horticulture in mind which we've been waiting for for ages now :)

Shareholder or salesman? :rofl::passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom