Is all Powdery Mildew Created equal?

425jesse

I have a couple outdoor plants that came from clones from my current indoor run. They have been in the same spot since before the pumpkin invasion, and really are just for fun to watch grow outdoor. So my pumpkins took over our garden (yes, I planted way way too many too close) and have a pretty typical covering of powdery mildew. The pumpkins have it and are touching the weed plants and they don’t. Are some strains that resistant? The strains are Dosidos F2 and Sherbadough from Archive in Portland OR.
Thoughts?
A39B0C66-E3FE-421F-951C-1A489E618BBF.jpeg
13CBDFB3-2023-43B5-89B4-73E9317BACD3.jpeg

Thank you for you input!

I've got 4 plants outside- the 3 Dr.Seedsman plants have powdery mildew (not severe, but it's there) But the ChemDog#4 is totally mildew free- not really a scientific test, but It definitely seems like certain strains may be naturally resistant.

I saw something, I’m not sure the source so I’m gonna call it broscience, that the more fuely/gassy terps Might b more resistant to pests due to the strong “bad” taste but that’s not mildew

Thanks for the replies, I got PM on a clone a few grows ago, infected all the members of the tent, lol. Tossed them cleaned all the equipment and sanitized like my life depended On it:). A few grows since with no signs (phew) but had me thinking about it of course:)

Some strains are naturally resistant to PM and Bud rot. I’m not sure the exact science behind it.
My outdoor GG#4 has no mold or rot, while the other outdoor plants are taking a bit of damage. On the flip side, those take more leafhopper damage while the other plants are left alone. @carcass does the milk treatment I think.

My outdoor GG#4 has no mold or rot, while the other outdoor plants are taking a bit of damage. On the flip side, those take more leafhopper damage while the other plants are left alone. @carcass does the milk treatment I think

Balance, there must b:Namaste:

Some strains are naturally resistant to PM and Bud rot. I’m not sure the exact science behind it.
My outdoor GG#4 has no mold or rot, while the other outdoor plants are taking a bit of damage. On the flip side, those take more leafhopper damage while the other plants are left alone. @carcass does the milk treatment I think.
Powdery mildew came up in another thread several days ago. Someone mentioned that outdoor growers should watch out for problems with the mildew, especially if they also have a vegetable garden, and that got me wondering about the how and why of the problem.

Some plants, including Marijuana, can be bred generation after generation, for a resistance to the mildew. But, the most interesting thing I stumbled on while reading through several links in the research was that Powdery Mildews are not created equal. It was really interesting that a powdery mildew that might attack the Zucchini will not show up on the carrots next to it or on the Peppers on the other side of the garden. Or on the Marijuana plants downwind from the garden.

From the University of California, department of Agriculture and Natural Resorces....
https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7406.html

I had the stuff on my Zucchini this season and it did not look the same as on the Cucumbers. The squash leaves eventually became completely covered but the Cucumber leaves just had small areas. Used the diluted milk spray several times and while it did not eliminate the problem it certainly reduced it and I ended up with the best Zuke crop in a long time.

In late August I tried the Neem Oil mix on the Zucchini leaves which also seemed to help. Next year I will start the milk spray earlier in the season on the vegetables, mostly because it is just as easy to use and easier to mix.

As for my Marijuana plants, no sign of Mildew on the Blue Dream or the Girl Scout Cookie clones which are now in full flower. Those I started spraying with Neem Oil at the beginning of August as an attempt to reduce any Mite populations that might be on the plants since I am thinking of bringing them inside to finish off by the early-middle of October. The spray schedule is once a week. The Neem seems to be working so far. No signs of Powdery Mildew and no signs of Mites or Mite damage to the leaves.

Powdery mildew came up in another thread several days ago. Someone mentioned that outdoor growers should watch out for problems with the mildew, especially if they also have a vegetable garden, and that got me wondering about the how and why of the problem.

Some plants, including Marijuana, can be bred generation after generation, for a resistance to the mildew. But, the most interesting thing I stumbled on while reading through several links in the research was that Powdery Mildews are not created equal. It was really interesting that a powdery mildew that might attack the Zucchini will not show up on the carrots next to it or on the Peppers on the other side of the garden. Or on the Marijuana plants downwind from the garden.

From the University of California, department of Agriculture and Natural Resorces....
https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7406.html

I had the stuff on my Zucchini this season and it did not look the same as on the Cucumbers. The squash leaves eventually became completely covered but the Cucumber leaves just had small areas. Used the diluted milk spray several times and while it did not eliminate the problem it certainly reduced it and I ended up with the best Zuke crop in a long time.

In late August I tried the Neem Oil mix on the Zucchini leaves which also seemed to help. Next year I will start the milk spray earlier in the season on the vegetables, mostly because it is just as easy to use and easier to mix.

As for my Marijuana plants, no sign of Mildew on the Blue Dream or the Girl Scout Cookie clones which are now in full flower. Those I started spraying with Neem Oil at the beginning of August as an attempt to reduce any Mite populations that might be on the plants since I am thinking of bringing them inside to finish off by the early-middle of October. The spray schedule is once a week. The Neem seems to be working so far. No signs of Powdery Mildew and no signs of Mites or Mite damage to the leaves.

Interesting.. this is the first time ive ever had to deal with mildew, mind you this is only my 3rd kick at the can.
However, this is also my first time having a vegetable garden. Although most of my vegetables are gone now, only a few tomatos remain now. But, maybe that was the issue? The vegetable garden. But im not seeing any mildew on those plants so im not sure. Interesting though

Interesting.. this is the first time ive ever had to deal with mildew, mind you this is only my 3rd kick at the can.
However, this is also my first time having a vegetable garden. Although most of my vegetables are gone now, only a few tomatos remain now. But, maybe that was the issue? The vegetable garden. But im not seeing any mildew on those plants so im not sure. Interesting though
The way I was seeing it there might not be any cross-contamination between the vegetable garden and the Marijuana. Just the luck of the draw.

Just looked it up and Powdery Mildew on Tomato plants starts off as spots on the leaves, then the spots get covered with the familiar white mildew and eventually that disappears and the entire leaf turns brown and dies.

Sulfur works indoors and in greenhouses. You can spray Safers fungicide outside its sulfur as well. Its the only thing I've tried that actually works. Sulfur burner for sure and kills all mites and if you have mice they hate the stuff. They go somewhere else.

Sulfur works indoors and in greenhouses. You can spray Safers fungicide outside its sulfur as well. Its the only thing I've tried that actually works. Sulfur burner for sure and kills all mites and if you have mice they hate the stuff. They go somewhere else.

Safers fungicide, is that able to be sprayed on buds aswell? Obviously do my best as to concentrate on leaves but, overspray does take place.

Back
Top Bottom