Is it normal for a germinated seed's tap root to feel hard?

popolino77

my seed germinated tonight i planted it immediately when i seen the tap root the tap root must of just popped out it looked like it was doing a u turn . i accidentally touched the taproot when putting it in the soil and it kind of felt hard, is this normal ? also i planted the germinated seed in very very moist soil almost wet but not wet so i did not add any more water after i planted it. did i do this rite ?

I've never touched a tap root so I personally don't know what they feel like but I guess they would be sort of stiff to touch, I hope you didn't touch it too much!

I'm no professional but you only want the soil to be moist so she doesn't dry out, having it too moist will make the taproot rot and die.

Good luck!

You should be fine. I usually soak seeds for just 12 hours then plant in soil. Having the tap root exposed can be less than optimal, as in this case where you accidentally touched it. The root will be hard because it is a drill for the seedling and must push its way downward deeper into the soil. It will also act as a base for the growing stem to be able to leverage its way out of the soil swinging the leaves upward and shedding the seed coat. Resist the urge to overwater. Take a same size container of soil and feel how heavy it is dry. This will be a good gauge of when to water again. The pot with the seedling should feel almost as light. When time to water comes soak the soil well. Then let it dry again. Don't do light watering a often, do heavy watering a every few days when it almost dries out. This will let the seedlings roots go searching for water. It will also prevent them from rotting which is caused by prolonged wetness and lack of oxygen.

You should be fine. I usually soak seeds for just 12 hours then plant in soil. Having the tap root exposed can be less than optimal, as in this case where you accidentally touched it. The root will be hard because it is a drill for the seedling and must push its way downward deeper into the soil. It will also act as a base for the growing stem to be able to leverage its way out of the soil swinging the leaves upward and shedding the seed coat. Resist the urge to overwater. Take a same size container of soil and feel how heavy it is dry. This will be a good gauge of when to water again. The pot with the seedling should feel almost as light. When time to water comes soak the soil well. Then let it dry again. Don't do light watering a often, do heavy watering a every few days when it almost dries out. This will let the seedlings roots go searching for water. It will also prevent them from rotting which is caused by prolonged wetness and lack of oxygen.

after the seed germinated i i moved about a 1/2 teaspoon of soil out of the way then i covered it with the soil so i figure it is like 10mm under the soil , is this ok ? also when i planted it in my soil the soil was very very moist almost wet i put it under my lights rite away and it still has not sprouted the soil dried up a lot being under the lights should i add some more water ?

The 10mm depth is fine. If the soil is dry then add some water. Then cover the pot with plastic wrap. I plant first in 16oz solo cups and put a plastic sandwich bag over the top. Then I dont have to worry about it drying out. When the seedling pops up above ground I take the bag off. It can take a seedling 2-3 days to pop above ground once sprouted in paper towels.

My plant is a autoflower so i planted it in a 2 gallon flower pot and that's its final home . the plant can still take 2 to 3 days to sprout even though i only planted it about 10mm under the soil ?

@ popo , next time switch to a bigger pot ( forever home) ...... this will allow the plant to grow more and you wont risk getting root bound..... = bigger buds

my plant is a autoflower so i planted it in a 2 gallon flower pot and that's its final home . The plant can still take 2 to 3 days to sprout even though i only planted it about 10mm under the soil ?

yes and sometimes longer .......... i know you are excited about this first grow as was i ....... you need patience popo, just like vegetables , fruit and yard plants it takes time ........... :thumb:

yes and sometimes longer .......... i know you are excited about this first grow as was i ....... you need patience popo, just like vegetables , fruit and yard plants it takes time ........... :thumb:

I also i planted a seed i did not germinate the day before. I planted it about 2 inches under the soil there is no sign of sprouting. Will it grow or did i bury it to deep ?

Back
Top Bottom