Is there any way to make buds not as big and less dense?

Phillybonker

I want to grow a strain that produces large dense colas but in an outdoor environment these will become water logged and develop mold faster. Is there a growing technique or something that allows me to make the colas less dense and not a big?

Basically I want to get airflow into the buds.

I want to grow a strain that produces large dense colas but in an outdoor environment these will become water logged and develop mold faster. Is there a growing technique or something that allows me to make the colas less dense and not a big?

Basically I want to get airflow into the buds.
I use a fan

Most banks will have a seed finding option , height , mold resistant , suited to you area etc et etc :)
Yes I know, but the options for my area aren't that great. The strain I want to grow has high mold resistance according to the seedbank selling it but that doesn't mean much because when seed banks talk about mold resistance they are referring to mold resistance indoors, unless it is a landrace strain.

I won't be able to use a fan in an outdoor environment.
And you cant turn down the sun for less dence buds , the denser the more water can run off , with airy buds water and mildew will sit inside and rot from the inside out , that's how I see it :) :goodluck: well did see it

I do not grow outdoors now , well I am semi outdoors ,

edit ...….ive seen the denser the more it can happen to some outdoor strains , your just going to have to trust mother nature and your strains , give them a good shake after rain and in the morning to remove excess water , your at the mercy of nature :thumb:

@Bill284 your an out door grower any info that will help here .

Strains that finish faster or are supposed to be resistant to mold helps (inside or out is still the same as just a resistance to it or less apt to do it but will still). But it can be a struggle depending on where you are on the planet, as the fall rains hit and sometimes stick around for days at a time totally at the wrong time of year make it a royal pain. One of the reasons I quit growing outside, along with I'm in a trailer park and I don't own land and it's against the rules crapola (and management changes every few months, so started getting ones that cared or would make an issue if a neighbor complained when the first few didn't even notice).

I got a cheapo greenhouse thing online that I could leave the frame up and just put cover on it when it rained. It helped compared to grow previous year outside but I still had some bud rot due to rain stayed for 4 days and less air flow so was like having plants packed too tight in a tent. So instead of tossing an zip or more was more like an 1/8th as just a couple colas (but also I learned to spot it faster and cut it out before it got worse and spread). It helped, although a royal pita to put together as basically a bunch of small pvc pipe that wasn't glued fittings connected to pot metal rods, so it put up a fight staying together while getting a circle made ;) :rofl: was fine once you got a frame made far as sturdy, it was getting to that point was a pain as put a joint together and 2 fall apart kind of thing :rofl::rofl:

pics were 3 years ago almost now:

Strains that finish faster or are supposed to be resistant to mold helps (inside or out is still the same as just a resistance to it or less apt to do it but will still). But it can be a struggle depending on where you are on the planet, as the fall rains hit and sometimes stick around for days at a time totally at the wrong time of year make it a royal pain. One of the reasons I quit growing outside, along with I'm in a trailer park and I don't own land and it's against the rules crapola (and management changes every few months, so started getting ones that cared or would make an issue if a neighbor complained when the first few didn't even notice).

I got a cheapo greenhouse thing online that I could leave the frame up and just put cover on it when it rained. It helped compared to grow previous year outside but I still had some bud rot due to rain stayed for 4 days and less air flow so was like having plants packed too tight in a tent. So instead of tossing an zip or more was more like an 1/8th as just a couple colas (but also I learned to spot it faster and cut it out before it got worse and spread). It helped, although a royal pita to put together as basically a bunch of small pvc pipe that wasn't glued fittings connected to pot metal rods, so it put up a fight staying together while getting a circle made ;) :rofl: was fine once you got a frame made far as sturdy, it was getting to that point was a pain as put a joint together and 2 fall apart kind of thing :rofl::rofl:

pics were 3 years ago almost now:

:thumb::welldone:

the denser the more water can run off , with airy buds water and mildew will sit inside and rot from the inside out , that's how I see it :) :goodluck: well did see it
I wish that was the case but unfortunately for me I've had the opportunity on my last grow to see dense buds VS airy buds in action in wet/high humidIty conditons. The airy buds lasted a lot longer against botrytis than the denser buds.

passion#1 and I forget the other was my fists plants some where free , the passion grew tall about 14 feet had airy buds and just rotted slowly , I live in Ireland so this is why lol , if its not raining it going to rain :)
If it rotted slowly in Ireland weather it did well. Plants in my area get overwhelmed by botrytis within days if left out in bad weather. Now I'm wondering if I should grow Passion #1.

Is there no way you could do some autos , quicker and less chance of running into the worse weather , you could do a couple in coco some in soil , use the coco for a bit of bulk and the soil for nicer smoke :) , just get short run autos do a few , get a little poly that you can put over them like MR Monk did , ? Autos will finish in 10 week about from seed to harvest some up to 14 weeks

Back
Top Bottom