What strain has buds that aren't too dense or big?

Phillybonker

I live in a wet high humidity climate and I grow outdoors. I need a strain that doesn't grow big dense colas but rather grows buds that are smaller or plants with long airy bud structures.

Can anyone recommend a strain like that?

Strange question, since most people want the biggest most dense buds they can get, but I understand your issue. Two thoughts, you could cut back a little on light when the plants go into flower, that will make for less dense, airy, stretchy buds. The other option is installing a dehumidifier and fan to keep the RH down and the air circulating. If you have the space and the means, I'd opt for the dehumidifier and resign myself to nice fat, dense buds. (LOL)

Strange question, since most people want the biggest most dense buds they can get, but I understand your issue. Two thoughts, you could cut back a little on light when the plants go into flower, that will make for less dense, airy, stretchy buds. The other option is installing a dehumidifier and fan to keep the RH down and the air circulating. If you have the space and the means, I'd opt for the dehumidifier and resign myself to nice fat, dense buds. (LOL)
I should have mentioned I grow outdoors. OP edited. I was hoping for a strain that naturally grows long airy buds. Cutting back on sunlight means yes the buds will get airy but very underdeveloped. I had my last plants in 4 hours sunlight per day and ended up with very underdeveloped buds.

I grow both indoors and out, you could try 6-8 hours of sunlight, instead of 4, and see what that does. I do remember growing some "Orange Girl Scout Cookies" that had less dense buds than most of the other strains I had grown, also don't do any LST or supercropping, let it grow natural so you have only one main cola and lots of smaller buds. As far as RH/mold, I have similar issues with my outdoor grows as I live in a place with an ocean influence, i.e., fog, but I grow outdoors in a clear greenhouse so I can somewhat regulate relative humidy but opening vents and using fans. Rain is not an issue because it has a clear plastic panel roof. Where are you located?

I grow both indoors and out, you could try 6-8 hours of sunlight, instead of 4, and see what that does. I do remember growing some "Orange Girl Scout Cookies" that had less dense buds than most of the other strains I had grown, also don't do any LST or supercropping, let it grow natural so you have only one main cola and lots of smaller buds. As far as RH/mold, I have similar issues with my outdoor grows as I live in a place with an ocean influence, i.e., fog, but I grow outdoors in a clear greenhouse so I can somewhat regulate relative humidy but opening vents and using fans. Rain is not an issue because it has a clear plastic panel roof. Where are you located?
Yes I heard about cookies having smaller or less dense buds.

Good idea about not LSTing or supercropping.

I'm located in New Zealand close to the ocean, so high humidity and wet weather in the final weeks of flowering.

Id concentrate more on genetics that are mold resistant
I'm unfortunate enough to live in a wet high humidity climate and in my one season grow experience it was the big dense colas that got hit the hardest by mold regardless of the strain or it's mold resistant properties, and I grew eight different strains along side each other.

The plants that did the best to hold out against botyrtis was the plants with the smaller buds, I even had two phenos of the same GG4 cross, one pheno with smaller buds and one pheno with large colas, the pheno with smaller buds made it to the finish line while the pheno with the big colas had to get pulled early due to mold issues.

@Nunyabiz beat me too it.
gotta stop watching that towing show while i reply ..
I agree it's better to choose strains that are mold resistant but also these strains need to have smaller or less dense bud structures for the best results. In my experience growing in a wet high humidity climate, plants with big dense colas are much more susceptible to botrytis than plants with smaller or less dense bud structures.

What about very mold resistant strains and then put a hoop house over your plants with a large fan on each end, one facing in, one facing out to keep a strong airflow,
LST the plants, put a SCROG over them to keep buds separated and do mild defoliation.

There are some funky plants that produce tiny buds, like Dr. Grinspoon which is just tiny little grape like buds

1626566635900.png

If that doesn't work then stop growing outside.

What about very mold resistant strains and then put a hoop house over your plants with a large fan on each end, one facing in, one facing out to keep a strong airflow,
LST the plants, put a SCROG over them to keep buds separated and do mild defoliation.

There are some funky plants that produce tiny buds, like Dr. Grinspoon which is just tiny little grape like buds

1626566670743.png

If that doesn't work then stop growing outside.
The hoop house and fans would work great no doubt but my plants are out in bushland far from my home.

I don't have the option to grow indoors unfortunately.

I'll check out Dr. Grinspoon, Thanks:)

Ive collected potential disease resistant / faster finishing strains for my own outdoor grows as I get a run of powdery mildew in the fall. Here’s what I have:

Papaya
Purple Punch
Pineapple Chunk
Frisian Dew

I am currently also growing Pineapple Express and a Northern Lights outdoor which both advertise a 7-8wk finish and high disease resistance in my current grow journal.

Goodluck!

Ive collected potential disease resistant / faster finishing strains for my own outdoor grows as I get a run of powdery mildew in the fall. Here’s what I have:

Papaya
Purple Punch
Pineapple Chunk
Frisian Dew

I am currently also growing Pineapple Express and a Northern Lights outdoor which both advertise a 7-8wk finish and high disease resistance in my current grow journal.

Goodluck!
I'll follow your grow journal, as it's still a another 3 months till grow season where I'm at.

how long you want to bloom for? Best way I would say is to think of a region similar to your climate and use a strain from there. I.e. if you live somewhere hot and humid, maybe an equatorial strain like Thai. If you live somewhere at altitude with mild summers and cold winters, maybe something more Afhghani, etc.
Only downside is the equatorial sativas bloom forever

I live in a wet high humidity climate and I grow outdoors. I need a strain that doesn't grow big dense colas but rather grows buds that are smaller or plants with long airy bud structures.

Can anyone recommend a strain like that?
All of them if you don't grow them right.
Sorry I couldn't help myself with that question. Hehe.
I find my sativa dominant Blueberry has smaller nugs than her indica sisters.
You might want a sativa dom strain.
No big fat pop can colas on them.
2"cents, sorry about the jab.
Bill

how long you want to bloom for? Best way I would say is to think of a region similar to your climate and use a strain from there. I.e. if you live somewhere hot and humid, maybe an equatorial strain like Thai. If you live somewhere at altitude with mild summers and cold winters, maybe something more Afhghani, etc.
Only downside is the equatorial sativas bloom forever
I'm in a subtropic maritime climate with wet high humidity conditions in the last few weeks of bloom.

Sativa would be good but the grow season is short here so I need a strain that finishes in 9 weeks or less and even then I'll have to pull early.

All of them if you don't grow them right.
Sorry I couldn't help myself with that question. Hehe.
I find my sativa dominant Blueberry has smaller nugs than her indica sisters.
You might want a sativa dom strain.
No big fat pop can colas on them.
2"cents, sorry about the jab.
Bill
That is true, but I'm going to try and grow the plants right.

Good point about the sativa dominate strains. I'll look for short flowering sativa hybrids. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom